Clisjsters may quit in three years says father - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:54 PM   #1
Serendy Willick

Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of
Clisjsters may quit in three years says father

BRUSSELS, Jan 24 (Reuters) - The hectic schedule of women's tennis could prompt Belgian number one Kim Clijsters to hang up her racket aged just 22, her father was reported as saying on Friday.

"Now she's coming to Belgium to play in Antwerp but then she has to pack her bags and hurry to America. Scottsdale, Indian Wells - it doesn't stop," Leo Clijsters told Belgian media.

"In three years' time she will very likely call it quits," he said. Kim, who earned $1.8 million last year, would be financially independent by then, he added.

The 19-year-old, who lost to Serena Williams in Thursday's Australian Open semi-final, made her professional debut in 1997 and is the girlfriend of men's world number one Lleyton Hewitt.

Leo, who acts as Clijsters' manager, said his daughter was under pressure in the sporting limelight. "She doesn't need all this attention," he said.

All I've got to say is this guy had better not be serious
Serendy Willick is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #2
country flag griffin
double-dog daredevil

griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute
Parents should be seen and not heard.
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #3
country flag fleemke³

fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of
Lei did say 2005 (I think) ... that's in 2 years ... Kim also said sometimes that she won't play long
YEC Madrid '06,'07
41 titles

fleemke³ is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:14 PM   #4
country flag 2ace2

2ace2 has much to be proud of 2ace2 has much to be proud of 2ace2 has much to be proud of 2ace2 has much to be proud of 2ace2 has much to be proud of 2ace2 has much to be proud of 2ace2 has much to be proud of 2ace2 has much to be proud of 2ace2 has much to be proud of 2ace2 has much to be proud of 2ace2 has much to be proud of
I think he's a bit too controlling. He kinda comments a lot on Kim's life I think.
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:15 PM   #5
country flag Mrs. Peel

Mrs. Peel has disabled reputation
Would he be saying the same thing if she made it into the finals?
Mrs. Peel is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #6
country flag Brαm

Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute
That's got nothing to do with it, Peel! He's made those comments on several occasions already...

I kinda have a problem with this: "Kim will quit tennis when she's financially independant"
and then the Clijsters are always saying: "Kim & Elke play for fun, not for the money"

Then why would she quit tennis as soon as she's got enough money for the rest of her life? Doesn't she love tennis oh so much then? Quite contradictory comments, I think!
I'd rather hear some comments from Kim herself, not from Lei.

Oh and btw, it's C-l-i-j-s-t-e-r-s!!

Last edited by Brαm : Jan 24th, 2003 at 06:34 PM.
Brαm is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:31 PM   #7
Cybelle Darkholme

Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future
this is just like when richard said venus was retiring. Ignore the parents and focus on the players. You never see the parents of the male players in their childs business this much.
Cybelle Darkholme is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:45 PM   #8
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
yes mrs peel

as Bram said he says this very often and kimmy herself does too.

she wants children
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #9
Pinkie

Pinkie has a brilliant future Pinkie has a brilliant future Pinkie has a brilliant future Pinkie has a brilliant future Pinkie has a brilliant future Pinkie has a brilliant future Pinkie has a brilliant future Pinkie has a brilliant future Pinkie has a brilliant future Pinkie has a brilliant future Pinkie has a brilliant future
Lei tends to make bold statements that sometimes end up haunting Kim. I think he forgets that if he casually mentions something in one interview, it first gets taken over by all of the Belgian press and then hits the international wires. I don't think Kim will have a very long career, especially if she stays with Lleyton. Between the constant traveling, the physical demands of top tennis, the Kim mania in Belgium and the camera crews camped out in front of Lleyton's house just to get a glimpse of the two, I doubt this is an existence anyone would enjoy for a long time. But her dad's statements are just going are create more questions for Kim, ones that she can't answer right now anyway. Who knows what is going to happen in the future.
Pinkie is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #10
country flag tfannis
Spaghetti Warrior

tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by bram_born84
That's got nothing to do with it, Peel! He's made those comments on several occasions already...

I kinda have a problem with this: "Kim will quit tennis when she's financially independant"
and then the Clijsters are always saying: "Kim & Elke play for fun, not for the money"

Then why would she quit tennis as soon as she's got enough money for the rest of her life? Doesn't she love tennis oh so much then? Quite contradictory comments, I think!
I'd rather hear some comments from Kim herself, not from Lei.

Oh and btw, it's C-l-i-j-s-t-e-r-s!!
so true...listen to Kim...not to daddy Leo...and fleem...Kim said she would become a mother early...but never said she would retire in two years...she said in an interview this week she might play some mixed doubles with Lleyton when their careers go downhill...that would mean when they're beyond their primetime...which would mean beyond the age of 22

Lei says she doesn't need all that attention..well...if you ask me...that's exactly the reason why he's saying such things...so people wouldn't admire Kim so much and wouldn't give her so much attention.
tfannis is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:10 PM   #11
country flag Hawk

Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of Hawk has much to be proud of
I remember reading an interview that Kim did a couple of months ago where she said she would probably play for 5 more years. I still tend to think she might keep going..but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Hawk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #12
country flag fleemke³

fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by tfannis
so true...listen to Kim...not to daddy Leo...and fleem...Kim said she would become a mother early...but never said she would retire in two years...she said in an interview this week she might play some mixed doubles with Lleyton when their careers go downhill...that would mean when they're beyond their primetime...which would mean beyond the age of 22

Lei says she doesn't need all that attention..well...if you ask me...that's exactly the reason why he's saying such things...so people wouldn't admire Kim so much and wouldn't give her so much attention.

Kim said, in the interview i heard, that she is suffering from painfull bones (alles kraakt) when she gets up every morning and that she won't have a long career ... how long she didn't say and neither did I. I said that her father said she probably would stop in 2005 ....
YEC Madrid '06,'07
41 titles

fleemke³ is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:13 PM   #13
TeeRexx

TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice
Damn! The players want to be like VENUS & SERENA and
now the daddies want to be like Richard.
TeeRexx is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:15 PM   #14
country flag tfannis
Spaghetti Warrior

tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute tfannis has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by fleemke²
Kim said, in the interview i heard, that she is suffering from painfull bones (alles kraakt) when she gets up every morning and that she won't have a long career ... how long she didn't say and neither did I. I said that her father said she probably would stop in 2005 ....
Yeah...I read that interview too...but that doesn't confirm what Lei says...not having a long career doesn't mean she stops when she's 22....I think we shoud let Kim do the talking
tfannis is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #15
supremeross

supremeross is just really nice supremeross is just really nice supremeross is just really nice supremeross is just really nice supremeross is just really nice supremeross is just really nice supremeross is just really nice supremeross is just really nice supremeross is just really nice supremeross is just really nice supremeross is just really nice
Well if she quits, she quits, no one tells Kim to go and play in 23-25 tournaments a year. Look at Serena and Venus, Serena has only played in 13 tournaments in the past 52 weeks and Venus in only 15. Say it with me Kim (and Jelena) quality not QUANTITY of tournaments is the key here.