SERENA: One of the greatest comebacks EVER! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #1
TeeRexx

TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice
SERENA: One of the greatest comebacks EVER!

General consensus among the knowledgable in tennis are not calling the Aussi Open semi a choke for Clijsters, but a truely great come-from-behind-win by SERENA WILLIAMS.

SERENA was at 1-5 in the third set when she began to mount her awesome attack that only produced 5 UE during that set.
SERENA literally began to play like SERENA and merely did what she is capable of doing and has done many times before to other unfortunate opponents.

Good play by Clijsters for the rest of the year and especially a legitimate win against SERENA or VENUS will help to rid her of the tag as a choker.

If SERENA continues to play extremely well in her career, as she did in that semi final in Oz, then she will certainly become one of the all time tennis greats.

Along with her sister, VENUS, of course.

TR

Last edited by TeeRexx : Jan 24th, 2003 at 07:32 PM.
TeeRexx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #2
ARealVenusFan

ARealVenusFan is an unknown quantity at this point
I heard one of the commentators, either Pam or Mary say that Serena's comeback wasn't as thrilling as Capriati/Hingis last year.

WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY SMOKING?!!!

This was spectacular!!!!
ARealVenusFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:31 PM   #3
TeeRexx

TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice
Well, if a comeback is in the finals of a GS event it has some weight, but the Cap/Marti finals was punctuated by the Aussie heat moreso than any great play by either player.
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:36 PM   #4
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute
Frankly, I think Kim was rather passive that entire set. Even after Serena returned to the court after the timeout.

Great comebacks? I am not sure. Like TeeRex said, Serena was Serena after the first match point. Kim definitely did not do anything to make Serena worried.
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:37 PM   #5
country flag RAA

RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of
wow, only 5 UEs in the final set?? I guess I didn't know that until right now.. that is really amazing on ANY day for Serena, but given how she had been playing up to then, its unbelievable.

i really can't believe I let my VCR stop taping... i'm such a dope - I'll never learn! I didn't watch the end (nor tape) the Davenport - Seles match in LA either. duh!
RAA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #6
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
yesterday serena took over at 1:5 (and even more after 3:5)

last year at the whole second set was thrilling and then the candle burned out in the third.

there is the difference I think
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:49 PM   #7
TeeRexx

RAA - Buy some more tape and just let it run, baby!
Irma - You are quite correct.
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #8
TSequoia01

TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future
Serena gets so wound up that she does not allow herself to play. At 1-5, there was nothing left to be all wound up about, so she just relaxed, began smiling, and began to not take her tennis so seriously. That's when the comeback began. Man I hope she learns from this. Shades of 2001! When she is relaxed, intense but controlled, there is no force in the WTA that can stop her aside from her Big Sis. Relax Serena and don't make it happen, let it happen.

SERENA PRINCESS OF POWER
Victoria Duval - coming to a slam near you
Françoise Abanda definitely a future #1

Serena and Venus grannies with a purpose
Kimiko Date Krumm great granny still doing her thing.
TSequoia01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #9
Devon

Devon can only hope to improve Devon can only hope to improve Devon can only hope to improve Devon can only hope to improve Devon can only hope to improve Devon can only hope to improve Devon can only hope to improve Devon can only hope to improve Devon can only hope to improve Devon can only hope to improve Devon can only hope to improve
What still amazes me about that match is that Serena played really bad up till the middle of the third set. Even though she won the 2nd set, she wasn't playing well and she was frustrated with herself, nervous and unfocused. But then, when she gets her first break on the 3rd set at 5-2, her shoulders get wider, her shots go in, her game gets better and her whole body language changes. It's like... oh!! there is my Serena!! Where you been girl?? Now come on, you've got some work to do here! And the rest is history. And I don't think Kim backed off at all, she seemed to me she still was determined to win it. But I think Serena's entrance into the match messed up her concentration a little bit.... or a lot!. But definitively, one of the best come backs ever.
Devon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #10
country flag CapFan#1

CapFan#1 is a jewel in the rough CapFan#1 is a jewel in the rough CapFan#1 is a jewel in the rough CapFan#1 is a jewel in the rough CapFan#1 is a jewel in the rough CapFan#1 is a jewel in the rough CapFan#1 is a jewel in the rough CapFan#1 is a jewel in the rough CapFan#1 is a jewel in the rough CapFan#1 is a jewel in the rough CapFan#1 is a jewel in the rough
great comeback?-- NO WAY! I'll give Rena all the due credit for haning tough and playing better than she had been in the match, but Kim let her have the comeback and the match. She got nervous and, *gasp* choked a little. Don't get me wrong, I like Kim a lot, but she didn't close it out, more than Rena staged some huge come back.

You want a great comeback, see the final from last year where Cappy came back from 4-6, 0-4 and saved only (4) championship points in 100+ degree weather!!! Now that was a great comeback with some awesome, brave play by Cappy!!!
CapFan#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #11
goshka

goshka is just really nice goshka is just really nice goshka is just really nice goshka is just really nice goshka is just really nice goshka is just really nice goshka is just really nice goshka is just really nice goshka is just really nice goshka is just really nice goshka is just really nice
It was great comeback for Serena, but she managed to do it without any sparks or series of great shots. She had few good shots, but still I did not see her totaly dominating Kim after 1-5. Have to say I saw Kim trying to play safe, and stop hitting winners, and going mostly for the "sure" shots, which turned to be total disaster.
In any case, I don't think it was even close to the GREATEST one, which was objectively done last year on the same court

Eugene
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #12
country flag BK4ever

BK4ever has disabled reputation
Cappy's comeback is my favorite of all time. I'm not a fan of hers...but much respect...especially given the conditions.

During Serena's comeback, I was screaming so loud, that my throat is still sore...

SERENA. MUGU. VIKA. PETKO. CARO. TIMEA. SVETA. HEATHER. KAIA. TAMIRA. FLAVIA. GEORGI. COCO. LUCIE, SLOANE. PENG. SORANA. ALICIA. JAEDA. CICI. FRANCOISE.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN. SHENAY. DINARA. GISELA. SPREM.
BK4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #13
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
Tee Rexx, it was a great comeback but I think your one and only still has the best comeback ever to date, down 4-6, 0-4 and battling 4 match points in a final. Come on,Tee Rexx, you have to admit there is one better comeback than Serena's.
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #14
TeeRexx

My favorite comeback?
VENUS saving eight match points and going on to defeat the mighty Capriati at the Ericsson.
That was truly GREAT!
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:35 PM   #15
Serendy Willick

Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of Serendy Willick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by pcornille
great comeback?-- NO WAY! I'll give Rena all the due credit for haning tough and playing better than she had been in the match, but Kim let her have the comeback and the match. She got nervous and, *gasp* choked a little. Don't get me wrong, I like Kim a lot, but she didn't close it out, more than Rena staged some huge come back.

You want a great comeback, see the final from last year where Cappy came back from 4-6, 0-4 and saved only (4) championship points in 100+ degree weather!!! Now that was a great comeback with some awesome, brave play by Cappy!!!
And gee what in the hell do you call being up 4 games to love and having four match points?! Martina *gasp* choked a lot and didnt even bother to come around in the third. I sure call hitting winners to save match point a comeback.
Serendy Willick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote