Exactly How Do YOU Define . . . - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:51 PM   #1
Simplify

Simplify is just really nice Simplify is just really nice Simplify is just really nice Simplify is just really nice Simplify is just really nice Simplify is just really nice Simplify is just really nice Simplify is just really nice Simplify is just really nice Simplify is just really nice Simplify is just really nice
Exactly How Do YOU Define . . .

choking?

I've been reading some of the responses to the "Kim Choked" threads, and am a little confused. Obviously, some say she flat out choked, while others say she didn't choke, she just got nervous (even though she says she didn't get nervous). Some have even said it wasn't a choke because Serena raised the level of her play. So, again I ask, how do YOU define it?
Simplify is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:58 PM   #2
country flag Car Key Boi

Car Key Boi is a name known to all Car Key Boi is a name known to all Car Key Boi is a name known to all Car Key Boi is a name known to all Car Key Boi is a name known to all Car Key Boi is a name known to all Car Key Boi is a name known to all Car Key Boi is a name known to all Car Key Boi is a name known to all Car Key Boi is a name known to all Car Key Boi is a name known to all
to lose one's nerve

to be presented with an opportunity, but yuo fail to take it because yuor nerves, or fear, overcomes yuo and affects yuor physical performance

the British have a lovely phrase for it

"bottle job"
Car Key Boi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:59 PM   #3
ARealVenusFan

ARealVenusFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally, I define "Chocking" in the athletic form of the word as:

Letting your guard down; not playing in the same high level as previously.
ARealVenusFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:02 PM   #4
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Uncharacteristic brain malfunction caused by realising of extreme closeness of the goal.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:49 PM   #5
country flag tennischick

tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all
choking vs panicking. the definition.

you panic when you don't have a clue what to do and start hitting out wildly. like Anna. instead of stopping and thinking thru your shots, you stop thinking and start flailing. like Anna.

you choke when you know exactly what to to do but start thinking too much about how to do it. like Kim. this occurs bec you become overwhelmed by the hugeness of the moment. as a result you become too conscious of what you have to do and instead of functiong on automatic pilot (because you are an expert and have done it a gazillion times before), you start overthinking and overanalysing and next thing you know you become paralysed by anxiety. like Kim.
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:07 PM   #6
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Semifinals of Key Biscayne 1995 .
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:27 PM   #7
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
agree with tennischick
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:32 PM   #8
country flag BK4ever

BK4ever has disabled reputation
I am one of those posters who said that she didnt choke. I agree with "tennischicks" definition, but I'm still not sure which category Kim fits into. I don't think she paniced, but I also don't think she did anything different in that trouble period than she had done all match.

She played passive thru out the match and she kept playing passive while Serena found her aggression.

On principle it looks like a choke job, but I'm still not sure that it was.

Any other perspectives

Serena, Madison, Taylor, Sloane, Gaby, Sloane, Heather, Sachia,Victoria, Sania
Coco, Beatrice, Jessica, Christina, Lauren, Robin, Dinara, Noppy, Mia, Flavia
Kaia, Aga, Urzula, Tamira, Gisela, Timea, Veras, ALG, Klina, Wozi, Sveta, Vikas, Misa
BK4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:34 PM   #9
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO Kim didn't choke in this match.

Choking is when a player's playing at a level so high that they should be winning, were winning, but then when it came for the time to close out the match they folded (started making errors, not playing the right shots etc...)

Kim played the same tennis that she did the entire match IMO, Serena just stopped making errors and won. So NO choke.

Hingis last year was a little choke, Jen also stopped making errors but Hingis also stopped been aggressive.

True choking imo though was Novotna in 93 Wimbledon, she just didn't do anything right, another player stepped on court after she lead 4-1. That's choking.
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:40 PM   #10
TommyH

TommyH is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Sam L

Kim played the same tennis that she did the entire match IMO, Serena just stopped making errors and won. So NO choke.
so you believe that serena at her best can beat kim 6-0????? because there you say that kim continued to play at the same level (which was a phenominal level), but serena simply raised her level???

IMO Kim clearly choked. To up 5-1 and lose 7-5, there has to be a degree of choking involved. To what degree- i dont know, obviously serena raised her level also, but kim still choked.
TommyH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:43 PM   #11
leslie

leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point leslie is an unknown quantity at this point
Kim was waiting for Serena to make errors to win the match. What I notice is that most of these players do not know how to switch gears. Serena and Venus can switch gears go into another mode but Kim does not have another gear to go into they all wait for the W/S to make errors. When Serena stared playing perfect in the last couple of points Kim did not know what to do. I will bet you the next time Serena plays Kim it will not be like this semi -final Serena will finish her off in two sets.
leslie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:46 AM   #12
country flag tennischick

tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by Sam L

True choking imo though was Novotna in 93 Wimbledon, she just didn't do anything right, another player stepped on court after she lead 4-1. That's choking.
there is no difference between Novotna's and Kim's choking experiences. in both cases, both players knew precisely what they had to do bec they had done it many many times before. and in both cases they became hyperaware of what was at stake, and that increased awareness made them switch off off automatic mode and start thinking about what to do. next thing you know, Kim couldn't even serve the ball into the court -- and there is no question that she does know how to serve!

Kim didn't panic. you can only panic when you don't have a freaking clue what to do. attend any Junior tourny and you will see panicking all over the place. poor babies. (of course anxious parents only make it worse!)

when you choke, things that you could formerly do in your sleep with both hands tied behind your back, suddenly become at first difficult and then impossible to execute. that is what defines choking. the actual outcome of the match is irrelevant.

Novotna cried and had to be comforted by the Duchess of Windsor. Kim didn't cry but she looked as scared as a doe caught in headlights. she looked downright terrified out there. however the difference in emotional respinse doesn't change the nature of the experience. they both choked. and i say that with kindness bec it's no fun being out there feeling that way.

and just so you know, i actually teach this stuff so i happen to know whereof i speak...
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #13
_Andy_

_Andy_ is just really nice _Andy_ is just really nice _Andy_ is just really nice _Andy_ is just really nice _Andy_ is just really nice _Andy_ is just really nice _Andy_ is just really nice _Andy_ is just really nice _Andy_ is just really nice _Andy_ is just really nice _Andy_ is just really nice
Joy, haha

Choking for me is when you don't capitalize on a significantly distinct advantage

Lleyton + Iroda = by me

_Andy_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:42 AM   #14
Hidden Stillness

Hidden Stillness has disabled reputation
http://www.gladwell.com/2000/2000_08_21_a_choking.htm
Hidden Stillness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 03:12 AM   #15
go hingis

go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute go hingis has a reputation beyond repute
When I want someone to win, watching is bad enough, I can't imagine how hard it would be if I was playing.
go hingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote