Did the 'Great Whi .... oops sorry .... Anti-Williams Hype' hurt Kim? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:28 PM   #1
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Did the 'Great Whi .... oops sorry .... Anti-Williams Hype' hurt Kim?

That is, did being built up as 'the one to stop the Williams' have anything to do with her tightening up in the third? All credit to Serena for taking a gift when Kim gave it to her, but Kim lost that match as much as Serena won it. I have no idea if the players are insulated from the media hype or not. But Kim was almost in the position Tim Henman is in at Wimbledon. So many people making it so clear that her winning was important, for reasons that had nothing to do with Kim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:29 PM   #2
country flag JonBcn
Tart with a Heart

JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute
Probably. It was at a similar level for Capriati last summer, and definitely affected her too. People should give them a break.
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:32 PM   #3
victory1

victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of
The amount of pressure people and the media put on Kim must be so overwhelming, which prove what a great player she really is for being able to compete so well under so much pressure!

"Prejudice is a labor saving device-it enables you to form an opinion without having to dig up the facts"
"Just because we are equal, Does not mean we are the same"
victory1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:41 PM   #4
WtaTour4Ever
Team WTAworld

WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light
I hate the media, life would be so much nicer if they would just stop trying to CREATE rivalries and let them evolve into their own. And stop trying to bait people all the time.
WtaTour4Ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:44 PM   #5
WtaTour4Ever
Team WTAworld

WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light WtaTour4Ever is a glorious beacon of light
BTW- I really wish you would stop using the term GWH ...at this point they are looking for Divine Intervention to stop Serena, this player could be orange with 4 eyes and hopping on one leg and they would support this player over Serena, in addition, hypothetically if Alex or Chanda had the game to challenge they would be cheering them over the WS in a hot second.

This isn't meant to start a fight, just my humble opinion.
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:47 PM   #6
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
WtaTour4Ever - I actually thought the current title was a concession, and one I wasn't obligated to make.
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:50 PM   #7
Scorch

Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point
Kim's popularity in Australia seems to have exploded this year. I think that this must have weighted on her mind - the comparison of Tim Henman playing Wimbledon is right on.

But as far as Kim being the GWH (I hate that phrase too, but since it is used here...) from reading Kim's press conference transcripts it really seems as though Kim does not put too much pressure on herself with regards to V & S.

I think the pressure of being near to another grandslam final has more to do with what happened.
Scorch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:51 PM   #8
WtaTour4Ever
Team WTAworld

Oh I'm sorry I didn't catch that. I apologize...sorry then :-)
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:52 PM   #9
Cybelle Darkholme

Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future
Kim is not weak minded! I can't believe anyone would suggest that Kim is so sad and sorry to let some dumb reporters influence her. No. I don't think so. Look at kim's interviews before and after the match. She knows what she did wrong. She knows that serena stepped it up and that those double faults were costly.

Jen let the media get to her. Jen spoke about being the only challenger in her interviews. Does kim do that? No, Kim talks about a bunch of players being challengers, not to beat serena or venus, but to WIN THE TITLE! Kim's mother doesnt go and say "oh I guess there will be another all williams final" when her daughter goes out.

Face it Kim doesnt need the media to hype her up as a threat to the williams sisters because kim knows shes a threat to the number one spot, no matter who holds it.
Cybelle Darkholme is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:11 PM   #10
ARealVenusFan

ARealVenusFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Kim is definitely Serena's greatest physical and mental competitor, but the media (and I believe that boyfriend Lleyton)has put too much pressure on her to win. All their hopes were on her shoulders and that's just not right.

This is the same as what happened to Cappy. If they would just let these young ladies have fun and play maybe there would be parity in tennis.
ARealVenusFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:15 PM   #11
Scorch

Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point Scorch is an unknown quantity at this point
What evidence is their that Lleyton puts any pressure on Kim???

BTW there is so much comedy potential in that question!
Scorch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:19 PM   #12
Weevee

Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice Weevee is just really nice
Kim's strategy was to play aggressive if Serena is playing well and to play defensive if Serena was makiing errors. It is a very sound strategy. In my opinion she did not choke. If Serena is not making errors there is not much that Kim or any other player can do.
KIim is a great player but let's not get crazy!!
Weevee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:25 PM   #13
country flag HingisLove

HingisLove is a name known to all HingisLove is a name known to all HingisLove is a name known to all HingisLove is a name known to all HingisLove is a name known to all HingisLove is a name known to all HingisLove is a name known to all HingisLove is a name known to all HingisLove is a name known to all HingisLove is a name known to all HingisLove is a name known to all
Just because you cheer for kim or any other player including Hingis doesn't mean that you are anti williams.
I cheered for serena but I know(sorry wrong word) believe that Kim is strong enough too see through the media. See it's the media that are looking to find someone to beat the sisters, true fans of her and other player just want their fav to do well.
My wish for this year is that Venus will win the AO and that Marti will come back stronger than ever! Also that the media would stop insulting the girls on the tour, you don't see them try their manipulation on the mens tour. Do they really believe that the women are less intelligent and won't see through their scam.
Women tennis don't need that extra off court attention!!!

Miss my sweet Marti & my favorite fighter Justine

Marat Safin

Anna Kournikova
HingisLove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:47 PM   #14
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute
IMO, both of these ladies feel the pressure of the media.

Vee said it perfectly, "Their is a new pressure when you become #1". I think that Serena has allowed that to creep into her game. When she played at the U.S. Open semis against Lindsay she didn't feel it, but since she had put so much expectation on herself of going undefeated she couldn't execute against Kim.
Rena should just calm down and play her game and she wouldn't get into stuff like this. She won this time and I knew she wouldn't go down without a fight. However, she needs to get herself under control in these situations now. She is starting to let the pressure step into her game.

Kim is experiencing a new type of pressure. It's not something she's created, but it's something that the media has molded for her. It's the GWH syndrome. I think it's unfair and they need to stp it and let her just enjoy her game. I really do feel that in the end the pressure got to her. It was something that she couldn't shake. I feel she will learn from this slam, and I expect many close matches with her and the Williams. I say may the best lady win.
harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:52 PM   #15
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Volcana
WtaTour4Ever - I actually thought the current title was a concession, and one I wasn't obligated to make.
One you clearly won't make, in spite of some people here not liking it. I wonder what would happen here if everyone adopted that attitude.

I think that Kim actually benefited from all the attention she got. I wonder if it increased her self belief and perhaps got her a bit more motivated ? She came out in that match all set to win it and I think that's why she pushed Serena all the way. When Serena broke her in the first set I was thinking that it could have ended in a straight sets thrashing. Glad it didn't .
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote