Sapere Aude - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 08:24 AM   #16
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sapere Aude

So far finished 454 page of total 688 of Christopher Clark's history of Prussia, 'The Iron Kingdom'

I strongly suspect the author has an agenda; that Prussia is NOT the reason for WWII, Prussia was in fact diverse, even progressive..
But how can it NOT be?
He stresses the vulnerability of Prussia but Frederick the Great's 'preventive wars' strongly reminds me of the Romans.
Fear that fuels the military expansion. And that kind of military ethos was crucial, no?
Moreover he stresses liberal tendencies in the Rhine area, but Rhineland was NOT the traditional heartland of Prussia(only very recently incorporated), so how does his thesis hold up
Marx's bio and Cambridge history of German literature both stresses Prussia's inherent political conservatism; you simply can't dodge that issue.
An Amazon reviewer even says that Clark dodges WWI. Should read further on and finish it to assess his stance more fully....

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 09:36 PM   #17
country flag jean_genie

jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello! It's been a while since I've seen Horatio's quote (probably somewhere at my Jesuit undergraduate university) but it's appropriate advice for this board :smile:

I wanted to mention how much I like the Sargent piece. It is a departure from his usual fare but very pleasing too. I'm glad to find another fan of Hopper here.

Enjoy your day!
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 06:32 AM   #18
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_genie View Post
Hello! It's been a while since I've seen Horatio's quote (probably somewhere at my Jesuit undergraduate university) but it's appropriate advice for this board :smile:

I wanted to mention how much I like the Sargent piece. It is a departure from his usual fare but very pleasing too. I'm glad to find another fan of Hopper here.

Enjoy your day!
Is Sapere Aude from Horatio? Now who was...damn I need to learn more

Thx

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 08:09 PM   #19
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Watched a half portion of Antonioni's movie 'Beyond the Clouds'(1995)

I didn't really like 'Blow-up' and this is even worse. What the heck is the movie about The 1st guy didn't even touch the girl while both were stripped nude and poised for lovemaking, and left in a hurry That poor girl was in fact the heroine of the movie 'Vidocq', didn't know that (Ines Sastre)

The 2nd episode is even more bizarre, John Malkovich's insolent stare doesn't help and no subtitle doesn't help either. He did 'consummate' with Sophie Marceau though, lucky him
3rd Episode starrs...Peter Weller of Robocop

Consulted David Thomson's dictionary for guidance and consolation and he also says the movie was a letdown. Well, should still 'soldier through' to watch Irene Jacob..

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 08:31 PM   #20
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Blow-Up is definitely a weird movie.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #21
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
Blow-Up is definitely a weird movie.
Yeah I'm not too fond of Italian directors I guess Antonioni wanted to express
a modern theme of alienation via camera, but still it was not my cup of tea.

Just started to read 'The Cambridge companion to English Novelists'

p3

"Novelists cannot manage without violence of some sort....whatever happens to Adela Quested
in Forster's Marabar Caves'

The editor Adrian Poole thinks a major theme in English novels are loyalty.

p5

'That is a genuine duty we novelists owe society, to be a piece of grit in the State machinery' Graham Greene

'The greatest benefit we owe to the artist is the extension of our sympathies' George Eliot

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #22
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

p5

Elizabeth Bowen's 'The Death of the Heart' (1938) begins with an elder half sister in law reading her teenage ward's diary and discovering what she thinks of her" What a fantastic start!

I knew that book was Bowen's masterpiece but haven't the chance to read it; now I'm more intrigued Damn I'm wicked

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #23
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

my another guilty pleasure is WWII books.

Just borrowed to read Atkinson's 1st book of the Trilogy again

And Max Hastings' 'Winston's War'

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #24
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

2013 NCAA to me in one sentence, from Aeneid;

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit

'Someday, perhaps, the memory of even these things will be pleasant'

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Jan 27th, 2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #25
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Atkinson

Wartime dusk at Hyde and Green Parks;

"A vast battlefield of sex"

Soldiers and "Piccadilly commandos" practiced "Marble Arch style"

After US officers left for Normandy, one pub was dubbed "Whore's Lament"

Anthropologist Margaret Mead wrote an essay for the British Army, titled

"Why Americans seem Childish"

GIs had so much sex with local girls, the road signs erected said

"To all GIs please drive carefully. That child may be yours"

That obnoxious leader De Gaulle was called "Deux Metres"

Churchill wanted to use poison gas, and attributed bombing cities to 'changes in fashion'

After the breakout from Normandy, U.S. stock market tumbled in anticipation of peace and falling corporate profit.

De Gaulle in his speech at the Liberation of Paris, scarcely mentioned the American and the British, saying "Paris liberated by herself, her people, with the help of the whole of France" The gall!

Novelist C.P. Snow on Churchill

"He was no alcoholic because no alcoholic could drink that much"

French general De Lattre's motto;

"Ne Pas Subir" do not give up

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #26
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Bartolome de Las Casas persuaded Pope Paul III to issue the bull Sublimis Deus, making it Church policy that American Indians as a rational people, thus not to be arbitrarily enslaved.

As a substitute he proposed instead enslaving the Africans.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #27
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Interesting article from the Guardian, stumbled upon it while searching A.J.P. Taylor's famous phrase on the failed 1848 revolution in Prussia, that it 'failed to turn' on 'a turning point'(which Clark disagrees), at the Simon & Schuster homepage.

It's Richard Evans(famous for his triptych on the Nazi Germany)' critique of Brendan Simms' recent output 'Europe: The Struggle for Supremacy'. I actually put on a hold on Simms' book on Germany, so was curious. Didn't know Evans was a liberal, he essentially blasts Simms' approach as right wing.

A history of Europe characterised by constant Darwinian competition is right-wing and wrong-headed

Anyway Alan is a proponent of 'Sonderweg' (special path) theory of Germany, and since I really enjoyed his 'Origin of WWII', should take a peek. Thankfully, LAPL has it.

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Jun 5th, 2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #28
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

So I registered on the London Review of Books to read Evans' critique of Sperber's bio of Marx (which I read like 5/7 of it and stopped now ). Yay.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #29
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

I was searching for Richard Overy's review of Iron Kingdom and look what I found;

10 best silent films, selected by Tim Robey
From The General to Pandora's Box, Telegraph film critic Tim Robey lists his 10 best silent films – and The Artist doesn't make the cut.

What is this weird and provocative sentence
Some choices are weird, too.

Man with a Movie Camera (1929)

By Tim Robey, Film Critic7:00AM BST 04 Jun 201313 Comments

Tim Robey selects his 10 best silent films of all time:

Intolerance (1916)

Depending on your point of view, DW Griffith either atoned for Birth of a Nation or tried to justify it, with this mighty fugue-form extravaganza on the titular theme, tracking its corrosive effects from the fall of Babylon to moral puritanism in Griffith's present day.

Dr Mabuse, The Gambler (1922)

The first in Fritz Lang's trilogy about Mabuse (Rudolf Klein-Rogge), a devious Weimar arch-criminal with some similarities to Professor Moriarty. He's a master of disguise, and a powerful figurehead of evil in a morally disintegrating Germany.

Related Articles
His silence was golden 19 Sep 2004
The long history of short films 18 Apr 2010
How Dalí lost his cutting edge 05 Jun 2007
Top 20 films about films 07 Feb 2013

Watch a clip from Dr Mabuse, The Gambler
The General (1926)

Pictures reached near-constant motion in Buster Keaton's giddy wonderwork and own favourite film, which achieves delightful velocity whenever it's on board the titular train. His stunts as a heroic Civil War train engineer still look death-defying.

Read a review of The General

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)

A pinnacle of craft in the silent era, FW Murnau's gorgeous poem to love, faith and other dilemmas of the psyche resonates with a genuinely timeless power, because it's about the fundamental question of who we want to spend our lives with.

Silent but tearjerking: FW Murnau's Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

Un Chien Andalou (1928)

Luis Buñuel & Salvador Dalí changed the face of film with this 16-minute Surrealist short, instantly confronting the viewer with the sight of an eyeball being slit open. Narrative is jettisoned, and the unnerving power of juxtaposition championed in dreamlike montage.

The Fall of the House of Usher (1928)

Uncanny lyricism abounds in this early Poe adaptation, which manages to suggest that things are indefinably wrong in the Usher residence, using shivery long takes and marvellous photographic effects. A wordless séance, full of surprises.

The Last Command (1928)

The great German silent star Emil Jannings rose to Shakespearean heights for Josef von Sternberg as a former army commander in Tsarist Russia, who descends into poverty and is reduced to working as an extra in Hollywood.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

Cowed but not broken by all the tricks and tortures her accusers visit upon her, Joan (Renée Maria Falconetti, in the era’s greatest performance) ascends to grace. The stark white sets and even Dreyer’s camera angles seem to conspire against her.

Everything film could do in 1929 was paraded in this dizzying technical manifesto — we're still doing most of it, and the absence of sound, colour or 3D hardly get in Dziga Vertov's way: a man conducting his maturing medium like an orchestra.

Watch a clip from Man with a Movie Camera

Pandora’s Box (1929)

Black-bobbed Louise Brooks was propelled to instant stardom in GW Pabst’s rivetingly seamy adaptation of Frank Wedekind's Lulu plays, as a promiscuous seductress whose heedless desires prove the undoing of everyone around her – not least herself.

What is your favourite silent film?

Intolerance (1916)
Dr Mabuse, The Gambler (1922)
The General (1926)
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)
Un Chien Andalou (1928)
The Fall of the House of Usher (1928)
The Last Command (1928)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
Pandora’s Box (1929)

My favorite would the definitely 'The General'

Chaplin didn't make the cut

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Jun 5th, 2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #30
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

I was surprised to find that Anthony Lane wrote an essay for Cambridge Companion of English Novelists on Evelyn Waugh.

Because he's a film critic for New Yorker

- Woodrow Wilson