Victoria Azarenka becomes youngest woman to cross $20 million in career earnings - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 21st, 2013, 04:25 AM   #31
country flag Bronx19

Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of
Re: Victoria Azarenka becomes youngest woman to cross $20 million in career earnings

Why make tickets more expensive? Does Azarenka need another million?
Bronx19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2013, 04:32 AM   #32
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Victoria Azarenka becomes youngest woman to cross $20 million in career earnings

Well didn't she get like 2.6 million from two tournaments alone. Indian Wells prize money is ridiculously high TBH.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:33 AM   #33
country flag Bronx19

Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of

So is that jokers event at Madrid. No audience and hand out $4m?
Bronx19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:08 AM   #34
country flag Shonami Slam

Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute

the talk about is she a big a star as others in the list is besides the point, IMO.

this really is about how much tennis in general and women's tennis has grown since, and a chance to ask ourselves, as fans, if it's heading in the right direction.

i think more and more of us are concerned about players out of top50\100\300 etc. ranging from not saving any money to quitting due to lack of finance to ever compete big, despite talent.

we've talked about the massive year that henin had to win 7M+ in a single season before in a thread similar to this one, in comparsion with Vika's... Good year to win the same.
money is heavily on the rise in the past 3-5 years alone, and only now are we seeing lower rounds being rewarded as well.

so far, 90 players have won over 100K$ this season (including peer...)
this includes doubles.

players are now living exclusivly from playing the doubles circuit - but there are very few.
mixed has not grown the way we thought a while back ago and is pushed deeper and deeper into the "not relevant" category.
bonus pools and appearance money are also growing tremendously.

we have to think, if the tour loses it's stars and interest AKA WS, Sharapova and Li Na (chinese interest), will we still have money increases?
if there is any doubt - a players union surely must start demanding other forms of earnings.

pensions? X% of revenues? different possible means and methods to study for a degree during a players sporting life-time, better insurances for injuries etc. etc.

I'm all up for unions and organized demands. the tour can easily build a firm, long term plan to help generations of tennis players have it easier to compete and create splendid on court magicm knowing they are assured of help even if outside the top100.
if you have nothing important to say, please do so in non-tennis forum. if you have something you think is important, but is actually rubbish regarding anything other than tennis - please do so in the non-tennis forum. if you have something tennis related to say, but it's actually "OMG, X player is so h0t!1" or "who has the biggest boobs on the wtatour" please do so in menstennisforum, under "wta forum". if you have something important, tennis-related and interesting to say please do so. No one in the world can understand how much tennis means to someone, except another fan.
Shonami Slam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:08 AM   #35
country flag Marlene

Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some numbers from the Aussie Open--from first appearance to first win. Making $20M seems easy these days ;-)

Victoria Azarenka
2012 W.... $2,429,950
2011 R16.. ...$90,575
2010 QF... ..$166,139
2009 R16.. ...$60,439
2008 R32.. ...$41,791
2007 R32.. ...$36,086
2006 q+R128 ..$12,713

Serena Williams
2003 W.... ..$556,534
2001 QF... ...$59,164
2000 R16.. ...$28,406
1999 R32.. ...$14,575
1998 R64.. ...$10,343
Marlene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:00 AM   #36
country flag Serenaluv

Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
Those players also had the advantage of playing in much less physically demanding era, on a tour that was pretty much limited to just North America and Europe, and with a shorter season. It's quite likely that many of those players would have had the same injuries that kept players like Venus, Serena, Henin, etc. from running up those kind of insane numbers.

It's very hard to do cross era comparisons. You can figure, however, that the $20 million (roughly) Navritalova earned in her prime years is probably worth about $35-40 million in Vika dollars.
Actually I disagree on certain points, for Navratilova's career that is:

> The matches in general were double as long due to a lot of them being best of 5's.
> Playing with wooden or just any heavy tennis racket, made tennis for females a lot more difficult.
> Back then you didn't have these special clothing technologies that makes you feel a lot more comfortable.
> Back then you also didn't have current medical devices which enhance speedy recovering.

I do agree that current tennis era is more demanding, but when looking a pro's and con's of both era's, it's not that huge like people think.

Last edited by miffedmax : May 21st, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Serenaluv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:19 AM   #37
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
The money is going up & up. Hopefully some of it trickles down to players outside the top 40.
This
You cannot support yourself financially only from Tennis if you are outside the Top 150
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM   #38
coolfish1103

coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute

The reporters are clearly not doing a good job if that's the only thing they can find.

Historic #1: FITD S / Tipping S&D / Tennis Tipping D
coolfish1103 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:05 PM   #39
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post
I respect her absence of any PR persona but it hurts the Tour.
No it does not, the last we need are more corporate robots. What we need is people who are genuine, it's not a players job to be everybody's darling.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:23 PM   #40
country flag *Jool*

*Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute

this kind of stat is irrelevant and actually kind of pisses me of

(nothing against the thread starter though )

KATA - AMG -
APS

Serena- Garcia- Hercog- KDK- Daniilidou- Puig- Muguruza...

Last edited by *Jool* : May 21st, 2013 at 05:43 PM.
*Jool* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:47 PM   #41
country flag aloeball

aloeball has a brilliant future aloeball has a brilliant future aloeball has a brilliant future aloeball has a brilliant future aloeball has a brilliant future aloeball has a brilliant future aloeball has a brilliant future aloeball has a brilliant future aloeball has a brilliant future aloeball has a brilliant future aloeball has a brilliant future

I think what people want to know is the stats adjusted for inflation. Obviously $10 in the modern day is not equivalent to $10 10 years ago.
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:30 PM   #42
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Comparison between the Navratilova days and today:

$10 in 1985 is equal to about $21.30 today in terms of purchasing power. This answer is obtained by multiplying $10 by the percentage increase in the US Consumer Price Index (CPI) from 1985 to 2012.

http://www.measuringworth.com/ppowerus/

That means that even when adjusted for inflation, today's players receive much more than the stars of the 1980s.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:38 PM   #43
country flag Kampi

Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty useless to make this kind of price money comparisions or lists. If Steffi or Martina had earned the same amount of money as players can earn today, well they would have over 90 Mio.+ something. So, totally different payments today.....btw, way too high in my oppinion, but that's a problem in other sports as well.

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in Australia, in France, in Great Britain and in the United States, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence (mental) and growing strength (physical) in the air (serve and volley), we shall defend our lovely Island (Jelena), whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches (clay-courts), we shall fight on the landing grounds (hard-courts), we shall fight in the fields (grass-courts) and in the streets (WTAworld), we shall fight in the hills(reaching the top) we shall and we will never surrender.“ GO JJ.........AMEN
Kampi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:39 PM   #44
country flag cehowardrx7
74,Old,Dirty & Fast

cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jool* View Post
this kind of stat is irrelevant and actually kind of pisses me of
You are not the only one seeing it this way.

This is on the same line of BS as the "Maria is the highest paid Woman Tennis Player"...

All detractions because niether one of them is THE BEST WOMAN TENNIS PLAYER..
My roadrace motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/630-P.jpg
cehowardrx7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:38 PM   #45
country flag lloyders76

lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenaluv View Post
Actually I disagree on certain points, for Navratilova's career that is:

> The matches in general were double as long due to a lot of them being best of 5's.
> Playing with wooden or just any heavy tennis racket, made tennis for females a lot more difficult.
> Back then you didn't have these special clothing technologies that makes you feel a lot more comfortable.
> Back then you also didn't have current medical devices which enhance speedy recovering.

I do agree that current tennis era is more demanding, but when looking a pro's and con's of both era's, it's not that huge like people think.

not sure what you're referring to here, only one match of the year was best of 5 sets
lloyders76 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote