Victoria Azarenka becomes youngest woman to cross $20 million in career earnings - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 21st, 2013, 12:33 AM   #16
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Victoria Azarenka becomes youngest woman to cross $20 million in career earnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon9 View Post
The prize money has gone up but the players are not that good and most are boring.
I can say that a couple of great players from the past definitely earned to little for what they accomplished it really is a shame.
Todays players do not deserve what they earn and some great players did not earn what they deserved.
I agree, but thats true with most major sports today. Legendary tennis players unfortunately aren't alone in that category of underpaid athletes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2013, 02:07 AM   #17
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Victoria Azarenka becomes youngest woman to cross $20 million in career earnings

Well from Singles Slams alone, Both Navrat and Evert would have made at least $50 mil. That's also only counting their finals won and lost. I wouldn't really know where all the old tournaments would fit on the Tier scale so to speak, to calculate the other earnings. I might look into it during the summer if nobody else does. Martina would have made a lot from Doubles also.
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:19 AM   #18
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Face it, haters...
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:23 AM   #19
country flag Serenaluv

Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold Serenaluv is a splendid one to behold

Let's compare. When Navratilova won the AO in 1983 - She received $75,000 - Azerenka in 2013 earned $2,441,936.

Basically in 20 years of time the AO price money has increased by 3256%.

So all in all her achievement means zilch.

-

Another example, if you look at Navratilova's results :

> She would have earned around $75,000,000.00 just from her grand slams results alone (singles,doubles,mixed).
> That excludes her +- 120 other titles, if say every title was a low key wta event, she would have earned another $100,000,000.00
> That also excludes a whole amount of other results like non gs finals, semis, quarters, 4th round, etc...

-

It just shows what a money machine certain legends would have been if they played in this era.

Last edited by Serenaluv : May 21st, 2013 at 02:35 AM.
Serenaluv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:25 AM   #20
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ivan. View Post
I agree, but thats true with most major sports today. Legendary tennis players unfortunately aren't alone in that category of underpaid athletes.
True in some ways, but figure Martina only had to shell out about $26k for her Porsche, while Vika's set her back at least $120k. Inflation's a bitch--though it's not 3000% (just saw the other post).

It's also worth noting the gap between the Slams and the tour events was much narrower. For example, the Virginia Slims of Dallas offered a $150,000 prize in the '70s and Florida offered $300,000 in the '80s, more than some events offer now. (By comparison, the late Texas Tennis Open offered about $200,000. And 1970s $$$ are worth a lot more than 2013 $$$).

Navratilova bagged more than $20 million in her career, most of it from tour events. The slams were not the end-all and be-all back in the '70s and '80s that they are now, which is why players blew them off to stay in shape for the regular tour.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Last edited by miffedmax : May 21st, 2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:26 AM   #21
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean. View Post
It would be interesting to see the what the career earnings for past players would be if they were playing for today's prize money. Maybe one the the stat monkeys here can throw something together?
The flip side is that more money meant that most players would have played less, which may have resulted in less prize money for them overall.

instargram
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:27 AM   #22
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis is really the best paying sport for women.
It is also the most meritocratic sport, i.e. the most capitalistic with built inequality playing a "positive" role, kind of.
With its pyramid structure, power and influence reside with the highest earners at the top, although sparingly exercised by the women compared to the men.

In Women basketball, the other high profile women sport, their best players will never approach this kind of compensation in their entire careers.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:33 AM   #23
country flag Bronx19

Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of

Cap the prize money, enough is enough. Its turned into a wank fest.
Bronx19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:35 AM   #24
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx19 View Post
Cap the prize money, enough is enough. Its turned into a wank fest.
If the market can afford it, why not?

Old May 21st, 2013, 02:46 AM   #25
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenaluv View Post
Let's compare. When Navratilova won the AO in 1983 - She received $75,000 - Azerenka in 2013 earned $2,441,936.

Basically in 20 years of time the AO price money has increased by 3256%.

So all in all her achievement means zilch.

-

Another example, if you look at Navratilova's results :

> She would have earned around $75,000,000.00 just from her grand slams results alone (singles,doubles,mixed).
> That excludes her +- 120 other titles, if say every title was a low key wta event, she would have earned another $100,000,000.00
> That also excludes a whole amount of other results like non gs finals, semis, quarters, 4th round, etc...

-

It just shows what a money machine certain legends would have been if they played in this era.
Those players also had the advantage of playing in much less physically demanding era, on a tour that was pretty much limited to just North America and Europe, and with a shorter season. It's quite likely that many of those players would have had the same injuries that kept players like Venus, Serena, Henin, etc. from running up those kind of insane numbers.

It's very hard to do cross era comparisons. You can figure, however, that the $20 million (roughly) Navritalova earned in her prime years is probably worth about $35-40 million in Vika dollars.

Old May 21st, 2013, 02:48 AM   #26
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

And 1 million extra from sponsors, Vika is one rich girl.
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:50 AM   #27
country flag Potato

Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute

Inflation makes this stat rather irrelevant
Potato is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:53 AM   #28
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato View Post
Inflation makes this stat rather irrelevant
Really???
Ask Vika and other women athletes , especially non-tennis players if this is relevant.

Old May 21st, 2013, 03:11 AM   #29
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

It's not really about inflation. Evert only won $9 mil which just about translates to $20 mil with inflation.

It's concerning the rate of increases, I can't recall what the figure is, but the 2017 USO prize money pot will be MASSIVE. The sport just won't be able to keep the prize money rising at such higher rates than inflation. It definitely can afford to do more now but the increases should definitely tone down in a few years.
Old May 21st, 2013, 03:16 AM   #30
country flag Potato

Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
It's not really about inflation. Evert only won $9 mil which just about translates to $20 mil with inflation.

It's concerning the rate of increases, I can't recall what the figure is, but the 2017 USO prize money pot will be MASSIVE. The sport just won't be able to keep the prize money rising at such higher rates than inflation. It definitely can afford to do more now but the increases should definitely tone down in a few years.
you're right, i kind of meant that inflation + the general increase in prize money makes this stat irrelevant in the sense of the "greatness" measurement
Potato is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote