Serena: "The lady in the mirror is the ultimate opponent for me" - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 20th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #91
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serena: "The lady in the mirror is the ultimate opponent for me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlover View Post
Hey, remember when it comes to Serena she is not allowed to say what she thinks or feels about her own game. Any reasonable person without a bias would say the same thing. Of course there are unforseen circumstances that could develop that could cause Serena to lose a match at the FO but based on the way she is currently playing the outcome of the matches does depend on how well she plays each opponent. There is no doubt that last year's FO Serena became an emotional wreck, lost her concentration and eventually lost that match.

One of the brilliant things about Serena is that she is very self aware and recognizes what she needs to do to improve and she goes about fixing it. She hired Patrick to help calm her and fine tune certain areas of her game and you can see the difference. We have been hearing the "arrogance" line for over a decade now therefore I couldn't care less about what her detractors say anymore, just keep winning and that is enough for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
I would have to agree. I think all players at one time or another in there career fight there inner self to win when they are playing poorly or not playing to what they are capable of. The difference is Serena's words are more scrutinized than most any other player.
So very true guys.

When it's Serena stating the obvious, some people (specifically, her detractors) seem to lose their minds.

She isn't saying anything unusual at all, and that hasn't already been standardized commentary in tennis.
And whether some realize it or not, Serena has already demonstrated her level of play to be extremely high at the present.
Thus, an out-and-out favorite at this year's RG. And this is regardless of her last showing last year; which was definitely a fluke loss.

I think from this point on I will ignore the detractors who know nothing about Serena, nor care about her, except to wish for her to lose.

Patrick has done a great job, as I posted he would last year.
Serena has a very different aura and demeanor out on court now.
Every point is crucial now, and she is even more patient and focused.
Her footwork has improved, she's looking for openings to exploit, constructing points, and she isn't rushing her shots.
The detractors can say what they want, but this is a much improved ClayRena that we are seeing, and the FO should demonstrate that without doubt.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #92
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Let me just clarify these quotes with a Sports Illustrated source:

Quote:
“I was feeling excellent last year and I didn’t do great,” Williams said of the French Open. “This year I feel good, too, but I’m definitely more cautious.*I feel I just want to win every point and do every shot the best I can at the French Open. And I’m going to work really hard and not slack at all and do the best I can.”

Does Williams feel pressure to win in Paris?

“I don’t feel any pressure now,” Williams said. “Maybe in the past I have. Like I’ve always said, I’ve won every Grand Slam there is to win. Maybe I’ve only won it once, but I know a lot of people who can’t say that. So for me, I don’t feel any pressure anymore.”

I think whoever I play is my biggest opponent, but I think the lady in the mirror is the ultimate opponent for me,” Williams said. “Like I said, I’m just going to be really cautious and go not for every match but*literally*for every point.”
The Italian Open site made hash of what Serena said.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:45 AM   #93
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
So very true guys.

When it's Serena stating the obvious, some people (specifically, her detractors) seem to lose their minds.

She isn't saying anything unusual at all, and that hasn't already been standardized commentary in tennis.
And whether some realize it or not, Serena has already demonstrated her level of play to be extremely high at the present.
Thus, an out-and-out favorite at this year's RG. And this is regardless of her last showing last year; which was definitely a fluke loss.

I think from this point on I will ignore the detractors who know nothing about Serena, nor care about her, except to wish for her to lose.

Patrick has done a great job, as I posted he would last year.
Serena has a very different aura and demeanor out on court now.
Every point is crucial now, and she is even more patient and focused.
Her footwork has improved, she's looking for openings to exploit, constructing points, and she isn't rushing her shots.
The detractors can say what they want, but this is a much improved ClayRena that we are seeing, and the FO should demonstrate that without doubt.
Patrick added a zen-like dimension to Serena's demeanor. It really showed in yesterday match in her decision making, ability to stay the course during very contentious rallies, until her clear opportunity present itself, then, only she takes action.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 USO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:09 AM   #94
country flag PleaseZayn

PleaseZayn is a splendid one to behold PleaseZayn is a splendid one to behold PleaseZayn is a splendid one to behold PleaseZayn is a splendid one to behold PleaseZayn is a splendid one to behold PleaseZayn is a splendid one to behold PleaseZayn is a splendid one to behold PleaseZayn is a splendid one to behold PleaseZayn is a splendid one to behold PleaseZayn is a splendid one to behold PleaseZayn is a splendid one to behold

I think Serena is just more mature now. It seems that she truly understands her potential and she knows she ultimately controls her own destiny. Hoping she gets past Graf's grand slam tally.
PleaseZayn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:28 AM   #95
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Patrick added a zen-like dimension to Serena's demeanor. It really showed in yesterday match in her decision making, ability to stay the course during very contentious rallies, until her clear opportunity present itself, then, only she takes action.
Which translates to a stronger mental game.

That's gotta scare her opponents.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:00 AM   #96
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

So poetic.
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:17 AM   #97
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

She needs this focus and calmness.Things are gonna get interesting at RG. You've to deal with those things and shrug them off.
If she can do that, then good things can happen at RG.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:51 PM   #98
country flag Ntosake

Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
She needs this focus and calmness.Things are gonna get interesting at RG. You've to deal with those things and shrug them off.
If she can do that, then good things can happen at RG.
Exactly. I like that possibility.
Ntosake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 03:25 PM   #99
country flag mauresmofan

mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
She's definitely improved but I feel like she needs to relax more and not be so hard on herself and demand such perfection all the time. If she could just enjoy herself more on court then the shots would flow a lot easier for her rather than putting this impossible pressure on herself to win while playing incredibly high level tennis and I really hope that isn't her downfall in Paris cause she deserves to win the title.
Old May 21st, 2013, 03:49 PM   #100
country flag BuTtErFrEnA
Rena's Army

BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute BuTtErFrEnA has a reputation beyond repute

she's always been hard on herself...how can she not when she knows what she can do when she's playing almost perfect tennis

I shall destroy the temple, and rebuild it in 3 days
BuTtErFrEnA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:59 PM   #101
country flag JCTennisFan

JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute

She is setting herself up for some serious egg on her face if she does not pull through and win RG.

There seems to be a bit too much calm before the storm.... she seems to have gotten through the tour a bit too easily in this years clay warmups.

More than likely she will win it but if she doesn't.... she might start developing a serious mental block when it comes to RG.
JCTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:18 PM   #102
country flag tennis-insomniac

tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTtErFrEnA View Post
she's always been hard on herself...how can she not when she knows what she can do when she's playing almost perfect tennis
This.

As a Maria fan, I know her limitation as a player, and what she could achieve.

So do I think of Serena, and know what her limitation is: her own self. Because with the perfect game, and a perfect body she has, Serena is now maximizing the potential she possesses. So what's wrong with that account?

People say she's arrogant? I don't think so. Because if I know I can be that good, knowing in a good day I can beat anyone in the world, why wouldn't I feel a little confident about myself? It means staying positive, not arrogant (and trust me Serena nowadays is more humble than she ever was years ago, which improvement I also admire about her).

People are just jealous of her ability. Let's settle at that. Now watch how she works herself toward her goal, and the only opponent that can stop her, as she already said to you, is her self. I agree.

-"Still On The Road"
tennis-insomniac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:23 PM   #103
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauresmofan View Post
She's definitely improved but I feel like she needs to relax more and not be so hard on herself and demand such perfection all the time. If she could just enjoy herself more on court then the shots would flow a lot easier for her rather than putting this impossible pressure on herself to win while playing incredibly high level tennis and I really hope that isn't her downfall in Paris cause she deserves to win the title.
I too wish she would relax, but I don't think it in in her nature.

I get the impression she probably feel outwardly enjoying herself will break her concentration and focus.

I would take her calmness her calmness any time.

Her father has been tell them (Venus & Serena) for years to relax, but they have not done. Whatever Patrick did , it is nice to see her new body language. It help her win this match.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 USO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote