Roland Garros 2013 : La reine Maria de retour dans son jardin - Page 71 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 7th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #1051
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future
Re: Roland Garros 2013 : La reine Maria de retour dans son jardin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
The sad part tho is that in most rivalries, the lesser player gets the win eventually, but in this rivalry, you just know Serena will never lose to Maria again.

To top it off, they are No.1 and No.2. There has never been a more lopsided h2h between the two best ranked players in the world.
Tomorrow will mark only the third time that Serena, as No. 1, plays Maria, as No. 2.

Between 1982 and 1984, Navratilova, as No. 1, beat Evert, as No. 2, 13 consecutive times; many times with scores of 6-2 6-0.

As they say, there is nothing new under the sun. Besides, Maria can end her losing streak at 2 tomorrow.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 7th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #1052
country flag Sharakim
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
I think this board was more upbeat about Maria's chances against Serena before Miami and Madrid, and even going back to Istanbul. A lot more defiant positivity around here. But no matter how optimistic a fan you are in general, all these matches against Serena start taking a toll on you. Never mind poor Maria's resolve having to face her so much. As a fan, it also gets demoralizing seeing all these losses to one person.

7th meeting in the past 13 months. 4th already this year. Maria could very well be staring at her 5th loss this year, 4 of them to Serena, 3 of them in finals. Imagine the incredible career year Maria could be having if not for Serena. She'd most likely be winning her 5th tournament of the year already tomorrow.

It's just getting harder and harder to keep manufacturing hope and enthusiasm when these two play. It was a lot easier in the past to brush off a Serena loss because they met so infrequently, only 9 times between 2004-2011. But a possible 7th loss in 13 months is getting tiring.
I understand your point of view, and no one can dispute the dominance Serena has over Maria. Nevertheless, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I find this kind of defeatist attitude about facing Serena Williams very disappointing. She is the best of this generation, she is an all time great, a legend, and someone who owns Maria. BIG FREAKING DEAL!!

I'm sure none of us Maria fans want to see her lose to Serena all the time, but I certainly won't ever get demoralized by it! That won't change tommorow no matter the result. I will continue to believe that the breakthrough will happen. Like the old expression says: If you lack belief off the court, you won't find it on the court. And that doesn't just mean Maria herself. We are her fanbase, and I for one will never give up on her. I'm 100% positive that Maria doesn't think the way you do. Otherwise she wouldn't have been able to achieve all that she's already achieved. Everyone (include herself) understands that she is not as good a player as Williams. We can admit that if they each play to their strengths, 9 out of 10 times Williams will win. But every match is a new opportunity to get that elusive win.

You play the person beyond the other side of the net. Did Roger complain about how much better his career record would look if he didn't lose 4 french finals to Nadal. No he didn't. It's pointless to imagine what would or wouldn't have happened if Serena wasn't in those finals this year, because it didn't happen. I'm sure Maria feels the same way.

Last edited by Sharakim : Jun 7th, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Sharakim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #1053
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharakim View Post
I understand your point of view, and no one can dispute the dominance Serena has over Maria. Nevertheless, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I find this kind of defeatist attitude about facing Serena Williams very disappointing. She is the best of this generation, she is an all time great, a legend, and someone who owns Maria. BIG FREAKING DEAL!!

I'm sure none of us Maria fans want to see her lose to Serena all the time, but I certainly won't ever get demoralized by it! That won't change tommorow no matter the result. I will continue to believe that the breakthrough will happen. Like the old expression says: If you lack belief off the court, you won't find it on the court. And that doesn't just mean Maria herself. We are her fanbase, and I for one will never give up on her. I'm 100% positive that Maria doesn't think the way you do. Otherwise she wouldn't have been able to achieve all that she's already achieved. Everyone (include herself) understands that she is not as good a player as Williams. We can admit that if they each play to their strengths, 9 out of 10 times Williams will win. But every match is a new opportunity to get that elusive win.

You play the person beyond the other side of the net. Did Roger complain about how much better his career record would look if he didn't lose 4 french finals to Nadal. No he didn't. It's pointless to imagine what would or wouldn't have happened if Serena wasn't in those finals this year, because it didn't happen. I'm sure Maria feels the same way.
Amen! Thanks for your post.

Actually, Serena and Maria are good for each other. Serena gives Maria a target to shoot for and vise versa.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #1054
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute

May the best win.

Even though I would love for Rena to win RG (I absolutely WANT TO see her reaction and her drinking champagne with Justine), I would really really love for Maria to win RG ... And to update the OP... Wouldn't it be hilarious that the first time Maria defends a Slam title is in RG ? The first time she beats Serena since 2004 in RG ? The first champion since Justine to win more than once RG ? etc etc

What a cow on ice

Regardless of the result, she has made us proud !
debby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #1055
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah to be honest, it's been a great attempt at defense regardless or the result tomorrow.

It certainly goes a long way in putting to bed the myth that Maria is pathetic at Slam defense attempt/shit when she's #1. Fact is she's been injured, ran into a GOAT player or just didn't have a big enough lead over the #2 to hold on to it after a poor result. And of course if she wins, we won't even have to listen to that BS anymore.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1056
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
Since I can get banned for quoting things from SerenaSlam, I'll just write some of the things they wrote in their forum and in GM:

"Kill her with fire"

"Drag her to hell"

"Destroy her worse than the Olympics. I want to see actual tears this time"

"End her life"

"Make her bleed"

"Mutilate her"

Classy

Name one time that a Maria fan has said such a thing about any player.
Get banned for quoting? How is that possible, and why?

All the bile and venomous against Maria in GM is just so sickening!
Sharapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #1057
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprisingly not nervous at all. I think because Maria is the massive underdog and not expected to win. The only thing I am nervous about is the possibility of a really embarrassing scoreline.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #1058
country flag Panther24

Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute Panther24 has a reputation beyond repute

This has probably been mentioned before. But this is also Maria's most successful performance when it comes to attempting to defend a Grand Slam title Before this, it was the 2005 Wimbledon SF.
Panther24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #1059
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy. View Post
I'm surprisingly not nervous at all. I think because Maria is the massive underdog and not expected to win. The only thing I am nervous about is the possibility of a really embarrassing scoreline.
Yup.

Make us proud Mash.

Les reines de Paris.
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #1060
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

I would love a comparative match and for that to happen the Maria of the first set against Vika (minus the DF's) will need to show up. If she could win more than 6 games I would be really happy.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #1061
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I just hope that Maria has a great day, has fun out there and just goes for it. If she has a good day serving she'll do allright I think. Not that I expect her to win, but if she can make it competitive you never know. It wouldn't be the first time that Serena has a meltdown at the FO.
If she could keep it close right from the start Serena could crack under her own expectations and pressure she has put on herself and get a little tantrumy.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #1062
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

less than 12 hours to go.....

maria i love you. i send you positive thoughts, energies and SCREAMS!

scream your lungs out. fight! defend your title.

keep calm... and dracarys.
malarkist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #1063
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisvampire View Post
When did your posts become the ones I enjoy reading the most in this forum?
Well, I am the voice of common sense, reason, and reality around here.

It's weird that over that past year, the 2 Maria matches that made me the most nervous were the French final against Errani and the IW final against Wozniacki.

Obviously, those are 2 players that shouldn't strike any fear into a player like Maria or her fans. But I only get nervous about title matches where Maria is the prohibitive favorite and is expected to win.

So I'll be sleeping well tonight.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #1064
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

valar morghulis!

fight! maria stormborn sharagaryen
malarkist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #1065
country flag claypova
#sugarfamily

claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute

Hasn't even felt like 2 weeks. RG (and clay season) ending so quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy. View Post
If she could keep it close right from the start Serena could crack under her own expectations and pressure she has put on herself and get a little tantrumy.
Serena throws tantrums when she loses serve at 4-0
claypova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote