Would you rather have - Supreme Athleticism, Supreme Mentality, or Supreme Shotmaking - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which would you rather have?

Supreme Mentality 47 43.52%
Supreme Athleticisim 19 17.59%
Supreme Shotmaking 42 38.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #16
country flag Rui.

Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute Rui. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you rather have - Supreme athleticism or Supreme mentality as a player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJJ View Post
Did her athleticism win her all her titles? When she's playing her game and in the zone her mentality is all she got.
Well every player you listed has a good mentality whenever they are playing well.

As a fan of Roger Federer I'd chose skills over mentality.

Psycho Killer
Qu'est-ce que c'est
fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better
Run run run run run run run away
Rui. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #17
country flag Standard

Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold
Re: Would you rather have - Supreme athleticism or Supreme mentality as a player?

To whoever said Azarenka does not have supreme mentality:
...seriously? ...Seriously? ....I mean seriously? .....Is this for real?
She DID not have it but in the past 3 years or so, she is definitely up there with the best of the best...ever. I mean those matches against Cibulkova, Brianti, Barthel, Kerber and others last year just does not put any justice to your statement. Also, this year, she survived an onslaught from the AO crowd to win. She also managed to hold her nerve and defeat Serena Williams as well as survive another onslaught from the Rome crowed just a few hours ago after enduring another fight from Stosur.
Someone must be deluded to not put Azarenka there after her results the past 3 years (there were 1 or 2 bleeps but that's it).

Kvitova, I definitely agree. What the heck is she doing in the supreme mentality section? She's OBVIOUSLY supposed to be in the supreme athleticism one. She has so much firepower but can't seem to put it together because of her frail mind.
Standard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #18
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did her athleticism win her all her titles?
Did mental thoughness win Venus a big share of her title? Yes

I was under the impression you created this with the impression we have of these players today.
If no, and it over their career, then Venus belongs in BOTH.

If yes, and it is on their current form, Venus rightfully belong to SA only as she has lost her mental edge. Kivota does not belong in either.
Sharapova definitely must be in SM.

Hingis is not really an athlete, she anticipates well for sure. She wouldn't even like the label of athlete

If yes, then Kvitova does not belong in SM

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 USO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #19
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui. View Post
Well every player you listed has a good mentality whenever they are playing well.

As a fan of Roger Federer I'd chose skills over mentality.
Hingis would be in the same category as Federer.
Hingis would frown up on being called athletic, let alone a supreme one.

IN fact, her legendary (no pun intended) refusal to embrace athleticism contributed to her decision to retire early.

Old May 18th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #20
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Did mental thoughness win Venus a big share of her title? Yes

I was under the impression you created this with the impression we have of these players today.
If no, and it over their career, then Venus belongs in BOTH.

If yes, and it is on their current form, Venus rightfully belong to SA only as she has lost her mental edge. Kivota does not belong in either.
Sharapova definitely must be in SM.

Hingis is not really an athlete, she anticipates well for sure. She wouldn't even like the label of athlete

If yes, then Kvitova does not belong in SM
I love Venus to bits, but I always felt and still feel her athleticism was fucking surreal. And yes she was mentally tough a points (Wimby 05 esp)I think her athleticism was a much heavier asset in her success. From 04 on her athleticness has been much less in toe with her success I believe. Had she been able to maintain the athleticism she had then for longer I believe she would have way more titles and slams.

If she were to have such a great mentality I would like to think she would have taken some of those slam finals versus Serena.

Victoria Azarenka ~ Venus Williams
Maria Kirilenko ~ Petra Kvitova
VeeJJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #21
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hingis would be in the same category as Federer.
Hingis would frown up on being called athletic, let alone a supreme one.

IN fact, her legendary (no pun intended) refusal to embrace athleticism contributed to her decision to retire early.
Swayed, I'll put her in shotmaker.

Old May 18th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #22
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you rather have - Supreme athleticism, Supreme mentality, or Supreme Shotma

Supreme athleticism
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #23
country flag Little Dreamer
テニプリ

Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you rather have - Supreme athleticism, Supreme mentality, or Supreme Shotma

I'll be different and say athleticism.

Even the most mentally tough opponents break down, simply because they're human. Getting every ball back, every shot in the court will lead to the breakdown and it'll end in your favor

Little Dreamer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #24
country flag tennisbum79

Much better premise of the thread.

But I strongly feel Hingis should be in SS, and she will occupy the top spot in SS.

Venus, over her career, should be in both SA and SM, but you can only use one of the category I guess.

You can also make the case for Mauresmo to be in SS and SA

BTW, who is the other Martina, you have Hingis and Navratilova in respective one category

Quote:

SA: Venus, Henin, Martina, Capriati, Clijsters, ASV, Kuznetsova, Mauresmo, Hingis

SM: Evert, Azarenka, Seles, Sharapova

SS - Kvitova, Pierce, Davenport, Kuznetsova

All: Navratilova, Graf, Serena, BJK, Court.

Old May 18th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #25
Alexandros

Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
Petra has supreme mentality? News to me.

I would rather have supreme athleticism. That will keep you in a match much more than mental strength.
how are you gonna stay in the match if you fold after a 6 shot rally or cant even get your serve in? I think if the mentailty fails it will directly affect the rest of your game. You can forget about that sublime footwork and those cutthroat angles when you cant even get your act together. Mentality all the way for me.
Alexandros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #26
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you rather have - Supreme Athleticism, Supreme Mentality, or Supreme Shotma

Also, Caro not being in the Super Athleticism category. Say what you want about her game but she is still the only top 10 who I could see playing marathonic matches without looking like she is about to faint, she and Errani posess incedible athleticism.
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #27
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Swayed, I'll put her in shotmaker.
Great. I am glad you listened

Old May 18th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #28
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

Quote:
Much better premise of the thread.

But I strongly feel Hingis should be in SS, and she will occupy the top spot in SS.

Venus, over her career, should be in both SA and SM, but you can only use one of the category I guess.

You can also make the case for Mauresmo to be in SS and SA

BTW, who is the other Martina, you have Hingis and Navratilova in respective one category
All this was fixed. ANd read my reply to you gurl

Old May 18th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #29
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

Re: Would you rather have - Supreme Athleticism, Supreme Mentality, or Supreme Shotma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás89 View Post
Also, Caro not being in the Super Athleticism category. Say what you want about her game but she is still the only top 10 who I could see playing marathonic matches without looking like she is about to faint, she and Errani posess incedible athleticism.
In case you haven't noticed, all the players listed are slam champs.....

Old May 18th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #30
country flag Simugna Help

Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás89 View Post
You should watch Radwanska-Errani at YEC last year to see who has better stamina.
Simugna Help is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote