Would you rather have - Supreme Athleticism, Supreme Mentality, or Supreme Shotmaking - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which would you rather have?

Supreme Mentality 47 43.52%
Supreme Athleticisim 19 17.59%
Supreme Shotmaking 42 38.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #1
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Question Would you rather have - Supreme Athleticism, Supreme Mentality, or Supreme Shotmaking

All of these traits are excellent to have and there are only a handful of women in the sport who I believe have had both simultaneously - Navratilova, Graf, Serena, BJK, Court.

There are also many players who have one or the other and much of their success comes from that. Before I open this discussion let me be clear on my opinion and how I categorize the examples I will list.

Supreme Athlete - is well a supreme athlete. Moves ridiculously well, gets to everyball, executes the shot they want to when they get there. They will never hit you off the court but they will stay in a match and play smart usually.

Supreme Mentality - is to just be able to focus a whole match, play your game, not worry about what your opponent is doing and get the job done. Emotions on court are scarce and you will fight tooth and nail till the end.

Supreme Shotmaker - Your entire game is hit or miss and you're not the best athlete. You can hit ridiculous shots when you're zoned in, play flawless tennis at times or for spans of time and it gets you some great titles throughout the span of your career but it is anything but consistent and quite often subject to a very volatile career but still somewhat prestigious.

My examples of where some players would stand are (in no particular order):

SA: Venus, Henin, Capriati, Clijsters, ASV, Kuznetsova, Mauresmo

SM: Evert, Azarenka, Seles, Sharapova

SS - Kvitova, Pierce, Davenport, Kuznetsova, Hingis

All: Navratilova, Graf, Serena, BJK, Court.

If you had to choose ONE, which would it be and where would place some of the WTA's players?

(And do not give smart ass answers like "SM, because I can always work on my fitness." Ain't nobody got the time. All of the players I listed with strong mentality could have worked harder on their fitness, it just wasn't a priority in their game though. Imagine if Davenport was a half decent mover...

If you have other opinions state your reasoning. And yes, my categorization could be totally fucked, but bitching about it ain't gonna change it.

Also we are categorizing players based on their career as a whole, not that one season where they might have displayed both these traits)

FYI we are only discussing slam champs

Victoria Azarenka ~ Venus Williams
Maria Kirilenko ~ Petra Kvitova

Last edited by VeeJJ : May 18th, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
VeeJJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
country flag Barktra
Allez

Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you rather have - Supreme athleticism or Supreme mentality as a player?

Supreme mentality
Barktra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #3
country flag Tennisation

Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you rather have - Supreme athleticism or Supreme mentality as a player?

I would go for mentality. A lot of the times it's the mentality that separates a true champion from a top 10 player who were never able to break through despite athleticism and talent. I think athleticism is something that can be improved with hard work and fitness. Mentality on the other hand is extremely hard to change even with a sports psychologist's help.
Tennisation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #4
country flag Z1988

Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold

Supreme mentality. It is important to never give up.
Z1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Petkorazzi

Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute

@ Azarenka in the supreme mentality category and Sharapova not there.
Petkorazzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #6
country flag MrSerenaWilliams
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Mentality.

I would never believe that I was out of a match until it was over.
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #7
country flag Standard

Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold

Contrary to the other posters, I would rather have supreme athletic ability.
This way, I know I can challenge other players.
For me, it's like looking at Robson and Watson. Watson has a better mentality but does not have the weapons to be the best. Robson, on the other hand, has the big weapons but has a frail mentality.
I'd rather have the weapons, but that's just me.
(Also, I prefer Watson much more than Robson.)
Standard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #8
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petkorazzi View Post
@ Azarenka in the supreme mentality category and Sharapova not there.
And Kvitova in SM?

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #9
country flag atominside

atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future

Kvitova and Azarenka in SM

atominside is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #10
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
And Kvitova in SM?
Did her athleticism win her all her titles? When she's playing her game and in the zone her mentality is all she got.

Old May 18th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #11
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute

Petra has supreme mentality? News to me.

I would rather have supreme athleticism. That will keep you in a match much more than mental strength.
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #12
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by atominside View Post
Kvitova and Azarenka in SM

How does Azarenka not have supreme mentality. bitches be stupid.

Old May 18th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #13
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJJ View Post
Did her athleticism win her all her titles? When she's playing her game and in the zone her mentality is all she got.
Her shotmaking won her all her titles, it has nothing to do with her mentality. She wins matches because she blows her opponents off the court. Or, when she's playing poorly, drags them down to her level and doesn't give them any rhythm. But it has nothing to do with her mentality. Actually, her mental game kind of sucks. She goes on walkabouts for entire sets where it looks like she doesn't care if she hits the ball in the corner or in the stands.
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #14
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
Her shotmaking won her all her titles, it has nothing to do with her mentality. She wins matches because she blows her opponents off the court. Or, when she's playing poorly, drags them down to her level and doesn't give them any rhythm. But it has nothing to do with her mentality. Actually, her mental game kind of sucks. She goes on walkabouts for entire sets where it looks like she doesn't care if she hits the ball in the corner or in the stands.
She's awkward to place, Along with her, Davenport and Pierce I wasn't really sure where to put them. I just knew they sure as hell weren't good athletes. Should I make "shotmaker" it's own category here?

Old May 18th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #15
country flag Simugna Help

Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJJ View Post
She can be clutch occasionally, but most of all when her game is on it's on - she can blow anybody out of court minus Serena (probably you could include Serena if not for her mental block against her).
Federer is neither as athletic nor as mentally strong as Djokovic or Nadal, but he's achieved that much more than either of them thanks to his superior game (off-clay in any case)
Simugna Help is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote