Isn't it weird that Williams & Sharapova dominate on clay? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 15th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #31
country flag Helaena

Helaena has much to be proud of Helaena has much to be proud of Helaena has much to be proud of Helaena has much to be proud of Helaena has much to be proud of Helaena has much to be proud of Helaena has much to be proud of Helaena has much to be proud of Helaena has much to be proud of Helaena has much to be proud of Helaena has much to be proud of
Re: Isn't it weird that Williams & Sharapova dominate on clay?

nope, not weird at all, there is nobody there to compete with them in any surface, fast or slow.
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #32
country flag améliemomo

améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute améliemomo has a reputation beyond repute

when I watch serena/sharapova play on clay I'm wondering omg where is the claycourt game? the real one I mean. The Madrid finale was all about serve and return. The one who takes advantage in those 2 points wins the match.

screampova improved a lot on this surface but she's not a claycourter at all. The fact she dominates it is because she has no real challenger to compete with except Serena who is prone to lose in a off day.(last year against Rzazzano).

That's sad cause clay deserve more competitiveness and fights.

Actual Gourou of the "New French Armada"

my blog about french tennis future with the young french guns cominghttp://sheenatennis.canalblog.com/
améliemomo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #33
country flag LUVMIRZA

LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by améliemomo View Post
when I watch serena/sharapova play on clay I'm wondering omg where is the claycourt game? the real one I mean. The Madrid finale was all about serve and return. The one who takes advantage in those 2 points wins the match.

screampova improved a lot on this surface but she's not a claycourter at all. The fact she dominates it is because she has no real challenger to compete with except Serena who is prone to lose in a off day.(last year against Rzazzano).

Clay demands extra stamina, movement, sliding and halting it right, versatility...hmmm. No one has that all in their game these days

2012 & 2013 USO Finalist - Chokerenka
LUVMIRZA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #34
country flag Viennalover

Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
Justine should comeback every year to play the claycourt season
This!!
Her sudden retirement really changed the tide...
it made some players fake world #1 and some fluke GS winners...
Viennalover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #35
country flag Keaka

Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting how the womens tennis and mens tennis are switching places nowadays. There was always a big rivalry on the mens side and many contenders on the womens and now it's all upside down.

Watching ATP tour (and also betting sometimes) I realised that on clay you can never surely bet against a good spanish top 100 player who's good on clay, but on the other side you can always bet against Medina Garrigues or Schiavone. The top 100 have gotten inconsistent and Serena and Sharapova have lifted their standards.

But I guess it's just the time of the year when players think of other things than tennis. The time of the year when the most important thing are sheer concentration and determination.
Keaka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #36
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Did Justine ever have that baby?
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #37
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by améliemomo View Post

Exactly. I don't even think she's improved on the surface, because let's be frank what has she changed besides sliding a little bit more into her backhand (like that's some kind of accomplishment )? She plays the same game she does on hard courts except clay happens to hide her weaknesses (shitty movement) and allow her to capitalize on her most women's (shitty second serves).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
I think everyone's perception of clay courter is Nadal like which is way off. If you look at the men's tour the likes of Berdych, del Potro and Soderling are similar to Sharapova and Serena. Yet del Potro and Soderling's best surface is clay.
Who have all been criticized for their un-inspriring one dimensional games on the surface.

There are way more players that adapt to the surface in mens tennis than in women's tennis where clay courts are essentially hard courts with a bit of dirt on them.
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #38
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

It's weird (to me anyway!) that Serena has 'only' won one French when she had the game and power to win several more: 2003, 2009 10 and 12 at least. This 'sudden' domination would not then seem weird. I'm hoping we're going to see a late blooming this year.

With regard to Sharapova, it has been in my opinion good fortune.
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #39
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalil Sherman View Post
Did Justine ever have that baby?
Yes. It was called Damian or Regan, I can't remember which
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #40
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

To be perfectly honest anytime before 2012 I would have answer that question with a yes- it is a bit odd, surely not what I would have guessed.

But at this stage of the game it's expected. The cream of the crop always rise to the top and although they aren't who one normally thinks of when they think clay court players, they've adapted their games and now are the favorites regardless of surface.

What's more surprising these days is Pova's grass record- nobody would have guessed shed be a lot more successful on clay than grass but for the last few years that's been the case. She's almost a non factor on grass courts...
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #41
country flag August

August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future

Weak era.

Li and Stosur have the best clay games, if they weren't headcases, they'd dominate clay.
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #42
country flag SAEKeithSerena

SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
It's weird (to me anyway!) that Serena has 'only' won one French when she had the game and power to win several more: 2003, 2009 10 and 12 at least. This 'sudden' domination would not then seem weird. I'm hoping we're going to see a late blooming this year.

With regard to Sharapova, it has been in my opinion good fortune.
thissss

16-Time Grand Slam Champion.

2013 Titles: Brisbane, Sony Open (Miami), Family Circle Cup, Madrid, Rome, 16th SLAM-THE FRENCH OPEN, Bastad, Roger's Cup

2013 Record: (60-4)
SAEKeithSerena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #43
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova both prefer fast surfaces but they have been the best on clay for the last two years by far!

Serena is 12-0 on clay this year and was 17-1 last year.

Maria is 10-1 this year and 19-1 last year (incl French Open).

Why? Is there no competition on clay?
WHY? Because the rest of the field are second tier players, at best on any surface. These palyers have neither the mental toughness, game or movement to beat Maria or Serena if they are playing their near best.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #44
country flag Chris 84

Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute

sharapova has modified her game because, in the wake of her shoulder problems, her serve has been so poor that it can be punished on faster surfaces. imo she realised that post-surgery her best chance of a slam was clay. she has worked hard on her movement and it is no longer the huge weakness that it once was.

the only thing odd about serena is that she has been so poor on clay up until this point. no red clay title in 11 years??? her game should translate fine to clay. sure, she may be no henin on clay, but imo it is some kind of block or loss of concentration or effort (as well as injury) that has meant she only has 1 RG title.

another factor to take into consideration is how homogenised the surfaces are these days. it is less of a culture shock to play on your least favourite surface these days as it was a decade (and longer) ago.

Bibiane Schoofs Flavia Pennetta Anett Kontaveit Aga Radwanska Tara Moore Sorana Cirstea

MY TWITTER
https://twitter.com/ChrissieBhoy
Chris 84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #45
Milan.

Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute Milan. has a reputation beyond repute

It's only becoz real claycourters are big mental cases such as Ana, Empress, Sveta, Nadia, Li and Sam

It's simple

Sucide 50 W: Baku '13
FITD Singles: 42 W: 's-Hertogenbosch '14, Quebec '14
Milan. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote