What influence do you think USA has on the cultural fronts of the rest of the world? - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 7th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #91
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What influence do you think USA has on the cultural fronts of the rest of the wor

Iconic brandnames; pervasive advertising.

Examples of both are in this old commercial:

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #92
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What influence do you think USA has on the cultural fronts of the rest of the wor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
In Europe apart from France, UK and Sweden to some extent in recent years there are no countries with differing population races. And I'm not talking about the Turks in Germany or whatever's going on in the former Yugoslavia either. Despite all the US versatility, the whites were always in charge but late in the XXI century that will finally change. It's only a matter of time before you have a first Hispanic president, first Asian Chief Justice, first Jewish whatever else is there to take and so on. The Protestants seem to be in decline already just looking at the Supreme Court and while all the LGBT, anti-gun laws and capital punishment battles will be over, there will be a new dawn in US history. Of course there's no money like old money and some wealthy dinosaurs will survive and let's be honest, how many non-Caucasian and non-Jewish Americans are there on the Forbes list, but the majority will always come to the fore sooner or later. The number of Latin voters exceeded 10% for the first time during the last elections and I think by the 30s the number of white voters will drop below the 50% for the first time. The traditional family model with a stay-at-home woman raising up her four-five kids while the father makes the hay might seem old school and not trendy anymore but if the Asian and Latin women will deliver those kind of number while the modern white businesswoman keep having one or two at most or perhaps nothing at all, the numbers will finaly prevail and there will be a racial crisis among the Caucasians. It won't happen for another four or five generations but it will happen especially since you don't really see that many white immigrants anymore. The communism has fallen apart and let's be honest again, communism alongside poverty was one of the main reasons why some many people from Eastern/Central Europe moved across the pond. Now it's the turn of the Latin people to do likewise, the myth of a better (wealthier) life in USA is still alive and maybe "myth" is not the right word I'm using.

Yes, I'm aware of that but once again these are not the cases of blacks, Asians and others blending in with the white society, just building more racial barriers which may backfire on the long run if it hasn't happened already. I mean Detroit has the highest murder rate in the whole country right?

Few other issues, what's the wealthiest area in the country based on average income? Hollywood Hills? Bel-Air, Upper Manhattan or somewhere else? USA seems to underline the class system of upbringing. The ethnic minorites seem to come from the working middle class at best with the parents working their socks off to pay for their childrens' college fees and beyond. Whenever one comes from the upper-middle class it's always a Caucasian or Jewish and never black or Latin. And how many of them earned their way into the upper class because of having a real job like a lawyer, doctor or some computer expert. Sure, blacks and Latins have earned millions but most of them seem to come from strictly entertainment branches like music or the movies and that doesn't really fit with my category of earning your status thru some really hard work.
There's no way for you to know any better so it's hard to be mad at you for this bit of ignorance.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #93
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptkten View Post
There are some problems with immigration in the U.S. and there is certainly a vocal minority opposed to any new immigration but overall I don't think it is as much of an issue as it is in Europe. The majority of immigrants come from Latin and Asian countries and most of these immigrants have the same general value system as long-time black and white Americans do so assimilation tends to be more seamless. In Europe, there is a small subset of Muslim immigrants that have a difficult time assimilating into western cultural norms regarding secularism, treatment of women etc. that makes immigration a little bit more of a touchy issue there.

America has always been a melting pot with no defined identity so I don't think the majority of people will really care if it becomes a majority minority country. It's why we were able to elect a biracial president with a mostly international past. Most other western countries have not or would not elect someone who was not of the traditional majority. It's what makes America unique in my opinion.
JFK elected was a BIG deal since he was a Catholic. Will there be a Jewish President?
And no women president so far, unlike Europe.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #94
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
They do have impact on immigrants.

And tht is not a samall thing. Who wants to go through life being thought of as not beloning, always being at the margin of society?

You think people who immigrate to France always do it by choice?
And what makes you think that some immigrants in America are not at the margin of society? France is a very multicultural society from big cities to small towns. Not sure what you are trying to prove.
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #95
country flag MaBaker
★Serbian Sensation★

MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute MaBaker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
Thank you. Americanization is happening because people like it.

on the topic, most people in America don't care about Europe. How can you care about Portugal or Bulgaria if you don't even know where it is. We don't know and we don't need to know. Now China or North Korea or the Middle East that's another issue.
MaBaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #96
country flag bulava

bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of

Quote:
What does that mean?
BTW Africa is a continent.
I don't get you, you claimed to be a well educated businessman, but then I read comment like these from you.
This one is a high school trick. Is that all what you got?

Quote:
Just the other days, you told someone to "zip it"
I remember telling you too because you pretend, deviate, skirt, dodge, being snobbish etc on topics; similar traits on this thread too so please!

Quote:
I don't know how long you have been on this TF, but you should know people can pick any flag they wish.
You shouldalso know, that whenever someone changes flag, it does not they changed nationality
It doesn't matter how long one is present on a forum; value addition which matters. BTW, I didn't infer about keeping flags! You discerned what I said but you still keep skirting...

Quote:
You sure throw lot stuff around, are you trying to impress someone?
Or are you measuring a country’s influence by the amount of entertainment they can provide you?
I don't throw anything unlike you. I speak based on my acquired knowledge and experience in some nations. In my school days we were taught this idiom by some teachers; grasped it very well:

Empty vessels make more noise.

It's not only about about Sports entertainment You've no idea about the Europe-US co-operation on multiple levels. For the starter, let's take the EU (if not entire Europe). Both entities are the largest trade partners; about 1/3rd of our world. On the global GDP scale, EU-US together have 30+/70 trillion. My point is no sides can say that we don't care about each other. It's the partnership with the Europe makes the Superpower status of the US more relevant. Not vice verse.

If you live in SC or closer to SC then go to a place called Spartanburg. There is a magnificent auto manufacturing plant built by Germans (BMW). This is just one example:

Ask them about the European influence on them. They'll share so many. Similarly, Americans have influence on the Europe. But good differences exist such as social factors, cultural environments, conservative levels, consumption patterns and so on. Remember, European influence dates back to centuries. Imagine (on culture, trade etc) this scenario: had Columbus from Europe didn't reach the American shores, then? (now, don't drag the discovery debates). Look at the impact.

Note that I'm opting out on the EU-US Strategic partnership (dependency) post WW-II. Both sides have tremendous influence over the other. It depends on how one sees it (be broad minded). Remember, when I said co-operation it includes cultural influence on various parameters on both sides.

Having said that, this partnership will evolve in the coming decades as Asia is rising. stromatolite rightly pointed out - The Australian PM has solid wisdom; she overhauled the foreign policy with Asia without wasting any time with politicking.

On the personal level, both entities have good influence on me (personal) and on what I do (professional/business). Countries like Japan too, say Laughter Therapy to my folks as stress buster. But not so much on social culture scale (getting drunk, going to late night discos, rampant sex, doing drugs etc). I take pride on what I'm today.

Quote:
Appreciating human emotion is beyond your grasp, I see.
Really? You started politicking on sad losses. Don't you know many lost their lives from Europe or Asia or Australia So what about their human emotions? Anyway, I don't want to discuss anymore on this sensitive war topic as I consider this as very painful to the affected (if someone present on this forum). No politics/drama over suffering.

I'll respond to HippityHop's post tomorrow.
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #97
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulava View Post

Ask them about the European influence on them. They'll share so many. Similarly, Americans have influence on the Europe. But good differences exist such as social factors, cultural environments, conservative levels, consumption patterns and so on. Remember, European influence dates back to centuries. Imagine (on culture, trade etc) this scenario: had Columbus from Europe didn't reach the American shores, then? (now, don't drag the discovery debates). Look at the impact.
The biggest result of the Columbus discovery was the mass genocide of Native Americans due to European disease As high as 90% of population of the continent died If an alien specie make contact with Earth, similar scenario might occur; either they or we will be wiped out by disease (vide the novel 'Andromeda Strain' by Crichton)

Of course, Americans gave Europeans syphilis too in retaliation

Culture(Europe) and money(U.S.), always has been. From the 19th century, the Robber barons of U.S. wiped out European artifacts, rescuing impecunious European aristocrats Should read Henry James' novels that expounds about it

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #98
country flag bulava

bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
This misses the point, IMO. The unique thing about America is that anyone who is willing can become American.
Absolutely I hinted that in my earlier post - how America became the numero uno by attracting the global talent. I avoided immigration deliberately because many tend to flock on this subject by dragging politics etc. I'm quite averse to it.

Let me also share with you that becoming an American is purely personal choice to some like me. I lived in the US for over 16 years and returned to homeland in 2010. I didn't go to America as #1 choice or like chasing an American dream (nothing wrong until one gets obsessed, so don't misconstrue).

It just happened because my dream to become an IAF fighter pilot got nuked due to a strong 'domestic' reason! Going to America happened to pursue my Masters. In fact, it was my #3 choice. #2 choice was to get into Civil Services but I dropped it even though I got through Prelims and other rounds with flying colors. For some reasons, becoming a hand in glove to the Governments didn't appeal me - these days it got even worse in my country affected by rampant corruption, nepotism, religion/caste nonsense and so on.

Anyway, I never gave up on my #1 choice but had to pursue an alternative path - now a damn good Cessna private pilot (hobby).

But why I locked on to #3 option? Well, this credit goes to my acclaimed Undergrad Indian Engineering School. Few Professors with good foresight encouraged students like me (mindset) to learn more and come back after a decade to do more in my homeland. I followed that path, as prime driving force, because I really liked it (by heart). I applied to few schools; one which is in PA were genuinely happy to admit me (based on my GPA and test scores) plus with good waiver! I accepted, but without any waiver.

Later got PR, and went on to earn my Postdoc while working. However, I never felt like applying for Naturalization. Moving to the US was never about earning money because we've enough to live affluently dating back to my young parent days (if not super rich). Our dreams and goals differ with most Indians who move to the US. Hence I can't speak on behalf of all Indians who move there.

After retuning in 2010, re-entered again into the US after two years. But this time as an Investor and an Employer. Well, I observed one big difference: some local American Embassy staff now show more respect to me because they realize what I'm doing in the United States.

One can go to America and come back by not becoming an American. It's purely matter of personal choice.

I consider myself as a Globalized Citizen. Hence my presence in the US and Germany. Next will be Australia (two years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
No matter how long I live in France or Germany (even if I become a citizen) I cannot become truly French or German. America's (and yes when people say America they mean the USA. Nobody says I want to go to America when they mean Ecuador or Brazil) strength is that anyone who wishes can become a true American (unfortunately in this day and age that might also be our downfall).
That feeling is there in America too but it varies (States) and certainly much LESS compared to Europe. I don't like people with attitude like, "Why did you come here?" and so on. It's the biggest hypocrisy because 98% shouldn't ask that Q. As per 2010 US Census data, ~2% are native Americans. I'm not interested on a debate on this matter. There are many factors one can deliberate, but it will be a different topic so I'll leave it here
Old May 19th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #99
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

well, some great posts......i might not post that regularly here anymore......you guys can carry on......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #100
country flag Pops Maellard
Hot Messes Need Love

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Monumental of course. Even in music, non-American singers singing in English sing with an American accent

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2012/08/accents.html

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #101
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say pretty minimal outside of Hollywood. Most of non-English speaking world considers American pop music a sludge of the genre, American literature not influential, classical music - very minor, painting .. not sure about painting, though not familiar with any hot American names either.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 03:08 PM   #102
country flag bulava

A proper US and Europe (not only EU) close co-operation, and their influence on the world on various fronts. Of course, there is Asian involvement in the International Space Station project.

Karen L. Nyberg@AstroKarenN tweeted about Russia:

Different country, different launch vehicle. Same human spirit, kindness, hard work & passion for space exploration
Old May 23rd, 2013, 03:40 PM   #103
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 23rd, 2013, 03:48 PM   #104
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaBaker View Post
+1

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:03 PM   #105
country flag bulava

Forgot to add that Space/ISS has good influence on me in terms of scientific and technological culture. If you enjoy watching space and/or star gazing then register here to see the International Space Station right from your home!

=> http://spotthestation.nasa.gov

ps: watch it using a powerful binoculars or telescope

Enjoy!

Last edited by bulava : May 23rd, 2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: ps
bulava is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote