Who is your top 8? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 29th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #1
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future
Who is your top 8?

Before selections come out on Tuesday, I'm curious to see how you all would seed the top 8 teams.

Consider the current ITA rankings:

1. University of Florida
2. North Carolina
3. University of Georgia
4. Texas A&M University
5. USC
6. University of Michigan
7. California
8. UCLA
9. University of Alabama
10. University of Miami (Florida)
11. Clemson University
12. Stanford
13. University of Virginia
14. Duke University
15. Northwestern University
16. University of Nebraska

Amal's Top 8 NCAA seeds (with little regard to the ITA rankings )

1. Florida - Led by the #1 player in the country Lauren Embree, the two time defending champions are the team to beat. The Gators are 22-2 with their only losses to A&M (which they avenged in the SEC SF) and Duke back in early March (UF's first outdoor match of the season).

2. USC - The Trojans (21-2) haven't lost a match since February 23 when they lost to Cal without star players #2 Sabrina Santamaria and Zoe Scandalis. Since, they've torn threw competition hardly losing matches. The Trojans have lost a combined total of three matches in their last meetings with Stanford, Cal, and UCLA. With #2 Santamaria playing some great tennis and an undefeated #1 doubles team, USC will be a very tough out.

3. Georgia - Two of Georgia's three losses this season (21-3) have come to Florida. The addition of Ayaka Okuno mid season strengthens Georgia's depth and already strong doubles teams. #1 Herring has proven especially strong this season and is supported by #2 Kowase and #3 Garcia. I have seeded Georgia above UNC given the quality of their losses ( 2 UF, UCLA) > (UF, Virginia, Miami)

4. UNC - The Tarheels stumbled to the finish, unable to cap off a historic season with a surprising loss to Miami in the ACC SF. UNC is 25-3 with their other two losses coming to Florida and Virginia. Questions about Price's health--who has been rock solid all year--could hurt them in the NCAA's. I'm not convinced they are the fourth best team in the country, but their resume has earned them a four seed.

5. Texas A&M - Aggies have had a historic season, beating Florida in the regular season and finishing the year 21-3 with their only losses coming to the ITA's top 3 teams in the country (UF, UNC, and UGA). The Aggies might want to switch back to their old doubles lineup, rather then the one they played in the SEC's.

6. Cal - Cal (16-5) has spent much of the dual season without #5 ranked Susanyi. Those 5 losses include: Georgia, 2 USC, UCLA, and Stanford. Despite the loss of Susanyi, Cal recently beat UCLA and has since added Susanyi to the line-up, helping them beat Stanford for the first time since 2009. A healthy Susanyi rejuvenates Cal's already talented lineup.

7. Stanford - The Cardinal haven't quite had the season many expected. With the loss of Burdette, Stanford has struggled with it's depth. Dillon at #6 is almost a sure loss against any top team and #4 Tan and #5 Tsay haven't been as solid at these positions as one would expect. Additionally, Hardebeck at #3 isn't dominating the one many assumed she would starting at Stanford. Stanford is 16-4 (St. Mary's, Florida, USC, Cal)and limited out of conference play makes it difficult to see how the team stacks up against the rest of the country. However, regardless of their season, this is a very talented team that will be looking to redeem its QF performance last year and give defending NCAA singles and doubles champion Nicole Gibbs her first team championships.

8. UCLA - UCLA has struggled with injuries this season and hasn't finished as strong as they started. UCLA is 16-5 (UNC, 2 USC, Stanford, and Cal) and struggling to regain the level of play that brought them to the Indoor final.

Just missed (in no order): Miami, Northwestern, Alabama, Michigan.

Let's hear yours!
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 29th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #2
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: Who is your top 8?

Thanks for starting this prediction thread!
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #3
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
Thanks for starting this prediction thread!
Unfortunately if I was predicting how the NCAA committee is going to seed, it would be very different This is just how I view the top 8 teams Would be great to hear everyone's opinion!
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 06:13 AM   #4
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Not sure who I'd throw out of the top 8, but Miami has caught my eye as a could be. Cal seems to have injury issues. Is Susani back. Davis retired with injury at Ojai. and just generally.

Also, I just hope that it is not all the top PAC12 teams on one side of the draw. Its just hard for me to get a firm fix on the relative strengths between conferences.

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Apr 29th, 2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #5
country flag SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice

I think Stanford is the wild card team here. Everyone knows they have the talen, but do they have the consistency? When three top players (Tsay, Tan, and Hardebeck) having uneven performances, it's a bit difficult to gauge where the team is. If they are on, they can beat anyone... but if they are off, they can also lose to anyone as well.

Of course, the No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles being a guaranteed victory for the other team doesn't help either.
SakiBomb25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #6
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

I wouldn't entirely mind the NCAA committee seeding according to rankings if the ranking system were remotely mathematically sound.

For example, the Massey Ratings top 8, which almost mirror Amal's, are:
1) USC
2) Florida
3) North Carolina
4) Georgia
5) Texas A&M
6) California
7) Stanford
8) UCLA

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=ctw&sub=NCAA%20I

For me, at this point, USC is the heavy favorite to win. Whether the resume merits the #1 seed is questionable, but having them down at #5 is a complete joke. As always the Pac-12 will be massively underseeded across the board, which sucks for everyone IMHO.
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #7
country flag 2nd_serve

Yupp, USC should be one or two.

And thanks for the Massey Ratings link.

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Apr 29th, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #8
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSEMT View Post
I wouldn't entirely mind the NCAA committee seeding according to rankings if the ranking system were remotely mathematically sound.

For example, the Massey Ratings top 8, which almost mirror Amal's, are:
1) USC
2) Florida
3) North Carolina
4) Georgia
5) Texas A&M
6) California
7) Stanford
8) UCLA

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=ctw&sub=NCAA%20I

For me, at this point, USC is the heavy favorite to win. Whether the resume merits the #1 seed is questionable, but having them down at #5 is a complete joke. As always the Pac-12 will be massively underseeded across the board, which sucks for everyone IMHO.
Heavy favorite OVER Florida? Those are the clear top 2 teams for me right now, but I think that Florida's experience from the past 2 years gives them a slight edge.
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #9
country flag Amalgamate

I agree with Tucker. I can't call USC the favorite over Florida given USC hasn't won the NCAA's since 1985 and Florida is two time defending champ. Having the talent to win the title and actually winning are two very different animals. I hope they play in the tournament though...and I pray it's not in the QFs