Unforced errors and total points thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 29th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #1
country flag Bino

Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of
Unforced errors and total points thread

I want to continue the idea of HH from HH opening a thread to document the stats of total points and unforced errors (including double faults!) to calculate the aggressive margin value who shows the difference between forced points and unforced errors of a player in relation to the total points of the match (made by both players completely).

The formula is:

aggressive margin = [(total points player - (unforced errors + double fault opponent)) - unforced errors player ] / total points match

Or more simple: AM = (forced points - unforced errors)/total match points

This value is an indicator for the controlled offensive efforts of a player within a certain match. It shows in relation how many unforced errors a player is making when he is trying to dominate the match by either hitting winners or forcing errors of the opponent (compare with Otto Rehagels kontrollierter Offensive ).

In this thread it would be enough to document the total points and the unforced errors/double faults of each player. This must be given, all other values can be calculated automatically. Winners and forced errors are summarized as forced points. So this thread could be a central database.

The total points we get by wta stats, so very important would be to post TV stats including the UEs/DFs - if available.

It would make sense to give a link to the source of the stats or to release a screenshot with the stats.

Of course due to this forum section we are interested especially in the values of the German players but we should post the stats of any other players too to have data as much as possible for comparision. So we don't need any national restrictions. Anyone is invited to post the stats here.

As an example I was calculating the values of Petko and Sabine yesterday:

Petkovic def. Mattek Sands 64 75
Total points: 80-69
UEs (incl. DFs): 26-43

Source:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=635513

Lisicki def. Rybarikova 63 64
Total points: 71-58
UEs (incl. DFs): 36-26

Excel calculates the AM values:
Petkovic vs. Mattek 7%/0% (BMS was exactly hitting the same amount of UEs as she was forcing points by her own!)

Lisicki vs. Rybarikova 7%/-3% (Ryba was making too many errors due to her capability/willingness of forcing own points)

Special thanks to HH from HH (who had the idea) and mk, who was calculating some AM values of the past right here!

Would be nice if we could collect some data here.
Bino is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 30th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
country flag mk27

mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unforced errors and total points thread

I think DFs are already included in the UEs.
mk27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #3
country flag Bino

Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of Bino has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk27 View Post
I think DFs are already included in the UEs.
Really? I didn't know that. This would make it even a bit easier.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #4
country flag mk27

mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino View Post
Really? I didn't know that. This would make it even a bit easier.

I think so, because aces are already included in the winners count as well.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #5
country flag Bino

Quote:
I think so, because aces are already included in the winners count as well.
Ok this sounds very reasonable.

Old Dec 31st, 2013, 09:18 AM   #6
country flag mk27

Williams def. Petkovic 64 64
Total points: 78-66
UEs: 36-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias View Post
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 04:50 AM   #7
country flag Bino

Agg Mar:
Williams - Petkovic 10-2%
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 05:16 AM   #8
country flag Bino

Jankovic-Kerber 67 63 61

Total points: 120-95
UEs: 50-41

Source: Poseidon
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....7&postcount=29

AM: 13-2%
Relation forced/own points (FOP): 58/56%

So Jankovic was playing just a bit more offensively (58-56) but was much more effective (13-2) by doing this.
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 01:09 PM   #9
country flag matthias
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute

ich kapier das nicht
matthias is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 01:19 PM   #10
country flag Ziva

Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias View Post
ich kapier das nicht
Ich auch nicht

Das Quality Race ist noch schlimmer

2013 Good Girl: Petra Kvitova
GG Race: Jankovic(+), Pironkova(F), Pennetta, Pavlyuchenkova(+), Halep(F), Ivanovic(MPbonus),Torro-Flor, Serena, CSN, Garcia, Cetkovska, Pliskova, Discount Sharapova(OD), Keys(F),Discount Sharapova, Serena, Venus, Wozniacki, Bencic(3ROD), Ivanovic, Svitolina, Kuznetsova
Ziva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 01:27 PM   #11
country flag mk27

Wieso ist doch ganz einfach.

Der AM berechnet sich aus Winners + Forced Errors - eigene UE und dann setzt man es in Relation zur Gesamtpunktzahl.

Die Winners + Forced Errors bekommt man auch heraus, wenn man die gegnerischen UEs von den eigenen gewonnenen Punkte abzieht.

Nehmen wir mal Petkovic als Beispiel gegen Williams.
Petkovic machte 66 Punkte, davon waren 36 UEs von Williams, heißt also dass sie 30 Winners/FE gemacht hat. Jetzt muss man davon die eigenen UEs abziehen. Also 30 - 27 = 3. Und diese 3 setzte ich jetzt in Relation zur Gesamtpunktzahl, also 3:144 = 0,0208 = 2,08%

Alles klar
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 01:32 PM   #12
country flag matthias
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Alles klar
ja ne, is klar jetzt

matthias is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 01:38 PM   #13
country flag KatjaS

KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
Das Quality Race ist noch schlimmer
Was genau denn?
KatjaS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 01:41 PM   #14
country flag mk27

Man muss nur alle Daten für diese Formel haben
(eigene Winner + eigene FE - eigene UE)/Gesamtpunktzahl

Man muss eben auch die UE berücksichtigen, weil es ja nichts nützt 80 Winners/FE zu schlagen und dabei dann 100 UE selbst zu machen. Wenn ich nur die Winners/FE in Relation zur Gesamtpunktzahl setze, dann werden immer Damen wie Barthel, Görges und Lisicki da sehr hohe Werte haben, egal ob sie gewinnen oder verlieren.

Last edited by mk27 : Jan 3rd, 2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 01:48 PM   #15
country flag Ziva

Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future

Quote:
Wieso ist doch ganz einfach.

Der AM berechnet sich aus Winners + Forced Errors - eigene UE und dann setzt man es in Relation zur Gesamtpunktzahl.

Die Winners + Forced Errors bekommt man auch heraus, wenn man die gegnerischen UEs von den eigenen gewonnenen Punkte abzieht.

Nehmen wir mal Petkovic als Beispiel gegen Williams.
Petkovic machte 66 Punkte, davon waren 36 UEs von Williams, heißt also dass sie 30 Winners/FE gemacht hat. Jetzt muss man davon die eigenen UEs abziehen. Also 30 - 27 = 3. Und diese 3 setzte ich jetzt in Relation zur Gesamtpunktzahl, also 3:144 = 0,0208 = 2,08%

Alles klar

2013 Good Girl: Petra Kvitova
GG Race: Jankovic(+), Pironkova(F), Pennetta, Pavlyuchenkova(+), Halep(F), Ivanovic(MPbonus),Torro-Flor, Serena, CSN, Garcia, Cetkovska, Pliskova, Discount Sharapova(OD), Keys(F),Discount Sharapova, Serena, Venus, Wozniacki, Bencic(3ROD), Ivanovic, Svitolina, Kuznetsova
Ziva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote