"You look, you buy": Brisbane store charges for "just looking" - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
"You look, you buy": Brisbane store charges for "just looking"

http://gawker.com/5992350/store-char...without-buying

Store Charges Five-Dollar ‘Just Looking’ Fee to Prevent People From Browsing Without Buying

Celiac Supplies, which bills itself as "Brisbane's first & only gluten free grocery store," may find itself customer-free as well after recently instituting a new policy aimed at preventing people from browsing without buying.

"As of the first of February," reads a sign posted on the door, "this store will be charging people a $5 fee per person for 'just looking.' The $5 fee will be deducted when goods are purchased."

The sign goes on to explain that the policy is meant to combat the practice of showrooming, defined by Consumerist as "using a retailer to check out an item in person before buying it online."

Celiac Supplies insists that its prices "are almost the same as the other stores plus we have products simply not available anywhere else."

Of course, that statement is entirely lost on potential customers who would rather not buy into a protection racket before being allowed to shop for health food.

"Target and Best Buy were likewise stung by shoppers who came in, tried out their products and then went home to buy on Amazon," notes Daily Finance. "But instead of banning phones or trying to charge an entrance fee, they instead extended their price-matching policy to Amazon and other online retailers."

Something the owners of Celiac Supplies might want to keep in mind for when they're inevitably forced to start again after going out of business.

spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #2
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "You look, you buy": Brisbane store charges for "just looking"

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #3
country flag Gagsquet

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute Gagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

not possible. hoax
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #4
country flag Cooper96

Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of

Isn't that illegal?
Tennis Tipping: CH: 16 Current: 16 Champion: 2013 ITF Montpellier, 2013 ITF Astana, 2013 ITF Donetsk, 2013 ITF Madrid
CYP: CH: 22 Current: 27 Champion: 2013 Birmingham
Tennis Tipping Doubles: CH: 104 Current: 119 Champion: 2013 ITF Croissy Beaubourg, 2013 ITF Olomouc, 2013 ITF Donetsk, 2013 ITF Braunschweig, 2014 ITF Launceston
Cooper96 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #5
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah . . . they're playing catch-up
Quote:
Vera Wang, the queen of bridal wear, opens a two-story, 850 square meters store in Shanghai – her largest flagship store – to controversy.

Wang’s first China store charges a non-refundable fee of 3,000 yuan (US$482) to try on bridal gowns for 90 minutes. Furthermore, potential clients will have to make appointments “several weeks” in advance, according to The Global Times.
http://red-luxury.com/2013/02/13/ver...es-trying-fee/
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #6
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagsquet View Post
not possible. hoax
No it wasn't, it was on the news not long ago.

I feel for this woman.

However she is in a market which is readily accessible to everyone, and gluten free information can be sourced everywhere.

She is a sole trader who's prices of gluten free products are more expensive than what you find in the supermarkets.

She's annoyed by potential customers coming in and requesting information about her products and information on GF Products, than buying them somewhere cheaper.

Most supermarkets now have an aisle which supplements gluten free food stuffs.

I don't think $5 for an entry fee iwill do her business justice.
ranfurly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #7
country flag Halardfan

Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute

The place that should introduce such a policy are magazine shops...can't stand those people who stand there, read half the magazine, then leave without paying!
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #8
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halardfan View Post
The place that should introduce such a policy are magazine shops...can't stand those people who stand there, read half the magazine, then leave without paying!
Why does that bother you?
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #9
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halardfan View Post
Raises hand.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #10
Morning Morgan

Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute

How do you even implement that in practice? If a group of ten people goes in and look and refuses to pay, what can the owner do?

"No, I'm not. But with you, I don't even care."
Morning Morgan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #11
country flag Halardfan

Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhorse View Post
Why does that bother you?
Because a group of such people park themselves in front of the magazines and mean I have to fight my way through to the magazines to actually buy one.

Whereupon I discover the one remaining copy is already tattered because its already been read by 30 such people.

A glance at the contents page is fine, a quick flick through is fine...but don't read the magazine as though its a library!
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #12
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

DEAD. So basically everyone who enters the store has to pay a $5 fee? That doesn't even seem fair for its costumers.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #13
country flag Dani12

Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute

This is old news, but yeah...I think her explanation made it sound a bit better. She said that you get more service than you would in a normal store and the $5 is also credited to something if you buy a product.

In saying that, I don't agree with what she is doing. Stores that provide a good enough service and product will get the people coming in.
Dani12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #14
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Sign of the times. Traditional retail is on the way out, you have to live with it or go bust.

Luddite reactions like this are doomed to fail. The only solution is to expand your own business online, essentially turn your store into a showroom for online purchasers who want a chance to see what they're ordering. If your product is really as good as you claim and your prices competitive you'll still get enough business. If not, well .....
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #15
country flag Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future

I would owe my local newsagent a few hundred dollars under this policy

All time favourite: Anna Chakvetadze

Will my weakness for an hour, make me suffer for a life time?
Invisible Fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote