Margaret Thatcher is Dead - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #16
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Margaret Thatcher is Dead

The British on this forum can correct me if I am wrong.
She has a transformative impact on British politics and society and was highly effective in liberalizing businesses practices, eliminating regulations , somewhat breaking the hard divide between Britain high classes and lower/working classes. Although herself from a working class background, she had to learn how to talk like an upper class woman to make her way in British politic class.

At the same time, she was a divisive figure given to excesses, and that caused her demise at the end: she was forced out by her own party, not the voters.

Her success on foreign was more resounding. She was decisive, forceful and meant business.
For that, she is admired by the political class-of the US, regardless of party, even including those with some allegiance to Northern Ireland, where she took strong and uncompromising positions followed by actions.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Apr 8th, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #17
country flag tennisboi

tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
She has a transformative impact on British political and was highly effective in liberalizing businesses practices, eliminating regulations , somewhat breaking the hard divide between Britain high classes and lower/working classes. Although herself from a working class background, she had to learn how to talk like an upper class woman to make her way in British politic class.

At the same time, she was a divisive figure given to excesses, and that caused her demise at the end: she was forced out by her own party, not the voters.

Her success on foreign was more resounding. She was decisive, forceful and meant business.
For that, she is admired by the political class-of the US, regardless of party, even including those with some allegiance to Northern Ireland, where she took strong and uncompromising positions.

Homelessness also grew massively under her government

98 US Open/99 Wimbledon/00 Australian Open
Atlanta 96 Singles Gold Medallist

Year end world number 1 98/01/04/05
tennisboi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #18
country flag nevetssllim
Stanning for Andi

nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She has a transformative impact on British political and was highly effective in liberalizing businesses practices, eliminating regulations , somewhat breaking the hard divide between Britain high classes and lower/working classes. Although herself from a working class background, she had to learn how to talk like an upper class woman to make her way in British politic class.
Far from it. Thatcher is synonymous with breaking the post-war consensus and unemployment, which was a taboo word under earlier post-war governments which put full employment as a high priority, rose massively when she was PM.

Sam Smith on Hlavackova
Quote:
"I will now call her LP Hlavackova - low percentage Hlavackova. I hope she doesn't drive a car the way she drives her groundstrokes!"
nevetssllim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #19
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation

RIP Iron Lady!
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #20
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

uote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetssllim View Post
Far from it. Thatcher is synonymous with breaking the post-war consensus and unemployment, which was a taboo word under earlier post-war governments which put full employment as a high priority, rose massively when she was PM.
I don't get it.
What do you actually disagree with in my post... or you did not post the the part your disagree with?

I must be missing something...

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #21
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly didn't follow British politics at the time. However it's my understanding that when she took over Britain had the moniker of being the "sick man of Europe". Massive labor unrest, power three days a week, taking six months to get a telephone, garbage not being picked up etc..

Even a leftie like Martin Bashir on MSNBC this morning was agreeing with Katty Kay that the unions needed to be broken at that time because Britain was really a basket case.

Of course at the end of the 1970s we in the US were also dealing with massive inflation, very high interest rates (people bragged about getting a mortgage at 18% ) and a general, in the words of Jimmy Carter , "malaise".

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #22
country flag The Bulldog

The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of

I don't see why anybody should be happy about this, no matter what you think of her regime.

RIP.
The Bulldog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #23
country flag Yoncé
On His Mouth Like Liquor

Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute

RIP The Iron Lady.

Can't help but admire her will, determination and strength.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #24
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Below is the spot-on reaction of the Sinn Fein leader (and former IRA bigwig, even if not acknowledged). Let me just add first that she called Nelson Mandela a terrorist throughout her time in office. Also that even in her 1983 re-election on the heels of the Falklands/Malvinas War, the Tories (plus their Irish allies) only got about 43% of the popular vote. Anyone here wants to mourn this witch, be my guest.

Gerry Adams has harsh words for Margaret Thatcher

The late former British PM “did great hurt to the Irish and British people”, says the Sinn Féin president in a strongly-worded statement

AS NEWS BREAKS of the death of former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher, Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams has been composing a strongly-worded statement about his former nemesis.

As it happens, the Sinn Féin Ard Fheis will be on in Castlebar, Co Mayo this weekend. Here’s his statement, released ahead of a 3pm speech he is due to make in Belfast today: Margaret Thatcher did great hurt to the Irish and British people during her time as British Prime Minister.

Working class communities were devastated in Britain because of her policies. Her role in international affairs was equally belligerent whether in support of the Chilean dictator Pinochet, her opposition to sanctions against apartheid South Africa; and her support for the Khmer Rouge.

Here in Ireland her espousal of old draconian militaristic policies prolonged the war and caused great suffering. She embraced censorship, collusion and the killing of citizens by covert operations, including the targeting of solicitors like Pat Finucane, alongside more open military operations and refused to recognise the rights of citizens to vote for parties of their choice.

Her failed efforts to criminalise the republican struggle and the political prisoners is part of her legacy. It should be noted that in complete contradiction of her public posturing, she authorised a back channel of communications with the Sinn Féin leadership but failed to act on the logic of this.

Unfortunately she was faced with weak Irish governments who failed to oppose her securocrat agenda or to enlist international support in defence of citizens in the north. Margaret Thatcher will be especially remembered for her shameful role during the epic hunger strikes of 1980 and ’81. Her Irish policy failed miserably.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #25
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I don't see why anybody should be happy about this, no matter what you think of her regime.

RIP.
Someone once said that everybody knows that they are going to die, but nobody believes that they are going to die.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #26
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post

RIP.
Because different people were differently/unevenly impacted by policies.
The IRA and their allies were not happy with her heavy handed policies.

Just read *JR* post 24 above

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #27
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Super Dave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #28
country flag Chris 84

Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She has a transformative impact on British politics and society and was highly effective in liberalizing businesses practices, eliminating regulations , somewhat breaking the hard divide between Britain high classes and lower/working classes. Although herself from a working class background, she had to learn how to talk like an upper class woman to make her way in British politic class.

For that, she is admired by the political class-of the US, regardless of party, even including those with some allegiance to Northern Ireland, where she took strong and uncompromising positions.
she did have a huge impact, that's for sure. she privatised everything that she could get her hands on and is more responsible that anyone for the way the economy is in this country (in terms of more free-market, laissez-faire capitalism, etc)

on foreign policy, she insitigated a war in order to stay in power, murdering people as she went, she aided saddam hussein, she supported the apartheid regimne as far as she was able to and her barbarous acts in northern ireland were responsible for a global outcry which i believe was instrumental in ending the violence and giving catholics more equality.

Bibiane Schoofs Flavia Pennetta Anett Kontaveit Aga Radwanska Tara Moore Sorana Cirstea

MY TWITTER
https://twitter.com/ChrissieBhoy
Chris 84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #29
country flag Expat

Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
I certainly didn't follow British politics at the time. However it's my understanding that when she took over Britain had the moniker of being the "sick man of Europe". Massive labor unrest, power three days a week, taking six months to get a telephone, garbage not being picked up etc..

Even a leftie like Martin Bashir on MSNBC this morning was agreeing with Katty Kay that the unions needed to be broken at that time because Britain was really a basket case.

Of course at the end of the 1970s we in the US were also dealing with massive inflation, very high interest rates (people bragged about getting a mortgage at 18% ) and a general, in the words of Jimmy Carter , "malaise".
Just like Reagan is a divisive figure here so is Thatcher there. Venerated on the right and hated on the left. Posters from Eastern Europe who were under communism are far more likely to post good things about Thatcher who supported them relentlessly rather than British lefties.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #30
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote