Venus vs Serena: It's Been A Long Time; Pre-Match Celebration. - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #16
country flag MrSerenaWilliams
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Venus vs Serena, It has Been A Long Time; Let's Enjoy It While It Lasts Can. For.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhorse View Post
What a joke.
Why yes, I was joking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #17
country flag gmokb

gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future gmokb has a brilliant future
Re: Venus vs Serena: It's Been A Long Time; Pre-Match Celebration.

All I will say is the winner better win the title.
gmokb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #18
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
... It May Not Happen Again.

I am just happy that they gave us this opportunity again.

Let's enjoy while we can, even if it is just for one weekend

Just wished it were in the final, but this is good enough
This made me think:

Starting in 1998 they played at least once a year each year until 2003
1998 - 1 (Venus 1-0)
1999 - 2 (Tied 1-1)
2000 - 1 (Venus 1-0)
2001 - 1 (Venus 1-0)
2002 - 4 (Serena 4-0)
2003 - 2 (Serena 2-0)

Gap: 2003 Wimbledon - 2005 Miami

Then they didn't play again until 2005
2005 - 2 (Venus 2-0)

Gap: 2005 US Open - 2008 Bangalore

and then again until 2008 where they played 9 times over the next 2 years
2008 - 4 (Tied 2-2)
2009 - 5 (Serena 4-1)

Gap: 2009 YEC - 2013 Charleston

So it's been the biggest gap, but there have been gaps before.

Hopefully this will be another rebirth of their rivalry.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #19
country flag tonybotz

tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future

so, i was there at the 2001 US Open when these legends first faced off at the final of the US Open, primetime. I'm amazed that 12 years later, these two titans are still standing, and fighting at the elite level of the game. their detractors have fallen to the wayside, yet the Sisters Williams still stand tall. Amazing story, amazing myth we're all lucky to witness to.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #20
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSerenaWilliams View Post
This made me think:

Starting in 1998 they played at least once a year each year until 2003
1998 - 1 (Venus 1-0)
1999 - 2 (Tied 1-1)
2000 - 1 (Venus 1-0)
2001 - 1 (Venus 1-0)
2002 - 4 (Serena 4-0)
2003 - 2 (Serena 2-0)

Then they didn't play again until 2005
2005 - 2 (Venus 2-0)

and then again until 2008 where they played 9 times over the next 2 years
2008 - 4 (Tied 2-2)
2009 - 5 (Serena 4-1)

So it's been the biggest gap, but there have been gaps before.

Hopefully this will be another rebirth of their rivalry.
I said that because of Venus conditions.
Now-days, Venus struggles to just get passed the first round.

That is why this is such an occasion to cherish

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #21
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I said that because of Venus conditions.
Now-days, Venus struggles to just get passed the first round.

That is why this is such an occasion to cherish
Well she does have a really difficult challenge with the unpredictability of her health, but her skills as tennis player are still certainly in tact.

Last year she went 2-4 against Top 5 Players and 6-6 against Top 10. But because her ranking was lower last year, she faced tougher opponents earlier.

I have no doubt that if she continues to maintain her health, she should be back in the Top 15 by the end of the season.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #22
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well she does have a really difficult challenge with the unpredictability of her health, but her skills as tennis player are still certainly in tact.

Last year she went 2-4 against Top 5 Players and 6-6 against Top 10. But because her ranking was lower last year, she faced tougher opponents earlier.

I have no doubt that if she continues to maintain her health, she should be back in the Top 15 by the end of the season.
I agree, her tennis skills did show today.

But she needs her body to cooperate in order to show those skills at their optimum.

And you never know when her body or psychological disposition will let her down.
For example, in her first match today, she had total control, then lost, losing the 2nd set as a result.

In the 2nd match, her game was close to Venus of old.
Serving well, hitting sizzling ground stroke, going at the net, being decisive with positive body language throughout.
When she serves for each of the set, she did not falter.

Tomorrow, nobody knows which Venus will show up, this what her health condition has done to her... you just don't know how she will feel day-to-day.

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #23
Alexandros

Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute Alexandros has a reputation beyond repute

Every time they meet is the worst day of my life
i like serena. i rooted for her #18 after maria skipped USO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkist View Post
serena's not gonna win it. you know it. it's a stupid award yes but she's not gonna get it. like that 18. it's not gonna happen. bye now.
Ok.
Alexandros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #24
country flag tonybotz

tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future

Venus was number 2 before her injuries in illness. those who doubt will be made into fools. Venus is the brightest shining planet in the sky. She will shine again.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #25
country flag DOUBLEFIST

DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Venus vs Serena, It has Been A Long Time; Let's Enjoy It While It Lasts. For...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decerto View Post
It's really sad to see what Sjogrens syndrome has done to Venus and how much it has affected her performance.
She is a shadow of what she use to be.
Yeah..., I wish I was that bad.
DOUBLEFIST is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #26
country flag DOUBLEFIST

DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Agreed.

If the planets align for Venus (pun intended), she is certainly capable of unleashing an I'm "the fuckin' Venus Williams" type run and sweep the faux elite to the side.

It seems to me that the illness effects the frequency of her play more often than the quality of her play - I mean aside from stamina related issues.
DOUBLEFIST is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #27
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Venus will leave her legacy.

"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 01:29 AM   #28
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
... It May Not Happen Again.

I am just happy that they gave us this opportunity again.

Let's enjoy while we can, even if it is just for one weekend

Just wished it were in the final, but this is good enough
I am overjoyed that I get to witness this meeting once again.

It really wasn't that long ago that folks were saying they'd never ever again face one another.
And every time they do adds to the historical significance of their legendary encounters.

Simply priceless.

And thanks for this thread tennisbum79.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #29
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEFIST View Post
Agreed.

If the planets align for Venus (pun intended), she is certainly capable of unleashing an I'm "the fuckin' Venus Williams" type run and sweep the faux elite to the side.

It seems to me that the illness effects the frequency of her play more often than the quality of her play - I mean aside from stamina related issues.
Her tennis IQ is still high, but her body does not allow her to execute to the way she really want to, so she only does what her body allows her to do.

Which must be really frustrating to her.

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #30
country flag evija87

evija87 is a splendid one to behold evija87 is a splendid one to behold evija87 is a splendid one to behold evija87 is a splendid one to behold evija87 is a splendid one to behold evija87 is a splendid one to behold evija87 is a splendid one to behold evija87 is a splendid one to behold evija87 is a splendid one to behold evija87 is a splendid one to behold evija87 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarindipity View Post
Every time they meet is the worst day of my life
I agree, it's difficult to choose sides when they play each other and you as a fan love them both
I think I'll cheer for Venus here because I want her to win this tournament really much. It would be great if she could add yet another WTA title to her resume. Serena has won a lot of matches and important things in past months. It certainly won't be easy for older sister, but I will hope for Venus to take it.