Greater GOAT: Steffi Graf or Michael Schumacher? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who's greater?

Steffi Graf 39 70.91%
Michael Schumacher 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #1
country flag August

August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of
Greater GOAT: Steffi Graf or Michael Schumacher?

As we already have a thread comparing so-called "GOAT"s of two different sports series, why not also compare the GOATs of WTA and F1?

My subjective opinion is Graf. Graf won her titles by herself, Schumacher wouldn't have won 7 World titles without a great team. The team of Schumacher, Ross Brawn, and Rory Byrne on the other hand is even more of a GOAT than Steffi Graf.

But my objective opinion is Schumacher. I dare to say people know Schumacher's sports achievements better than Graf's.
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #2
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has disabled reputation
Re: Greater GOAT: Steffi Graf or Michael Schumacher?

Neither. Senna is One True GOAT

Old Channel

Treachery is a virus
ShiftyFella is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #3
country flag Anabelcroft

Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future

To close to tell...Both in their own way...
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #4
country flag bbjpa
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

bbjpa has much to be proud of bbjpa has much to be proud of bbjpa has much to be proud of bbjpa has much to be proud of bbjpa has much to be proud of bbjpa has much to be proud of bbjpa has much to be proud of bbjpa has much to be proud of bbjpa has much to be proud of bbjpa has much to be proud of bbjpa has much to be proud of

Prost
bbjpa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #5
country flag August

August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
Neither. Senna is One True GOAT
I deliberately put Schuey to this poll. The previous "greater GOAT?" thread had one real and one fake GOAT so this also needs to have one real and one fake.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #6
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold

Graff has more grand slams, so I think it's her

Tennis Tipping:
Winner at ITF Dothan Singles
Winner at ITF Vero Beach, Trnava, Poitiers, Vall d'Uxó, Zawada, and Saint Malo Doubles (w/ DJDVD)
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #7
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Graf. Not that close. Since wining the F1 championship is based on accumulating the most points in a season the only valid comparison is to YE #1. Graf has 8, Schumacher 7. Overall individual wins - Graf 107, Schumacher 91.Factor in that wining a race = drive one day and come in first, winning a tennis title = play and win on 5 or more days and IMO there's no contest
"The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We are like a little child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written these books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books - a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects." - Albert Einstein
pov is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #8
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

In any case we know who Pova's pick is

Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #9
country flag August

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
Graff has more grand slams, so I think it's her
This statistic is also called Grand Slam in F1. No-one has five (calendar-year) grand slams in tennis like Schuey has, let alone Jim Clark with 8 grand slams.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #10
country flag cehowardrx7
73,Old,Dirty,&Fast

cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute

Graf got a lot of her slams because one of her FANS and COUNTRYMAN (Parche Gunter) stabbed her main opposition giving her a free shot at that slams..

This will always come up with fair minded people when you talk about RECORDS, and GRAF. Talk about how she played, and leave the records alone!

73,old, fast, and dirty..My daily warm up: http://www.cehoward.net/stclock.wmv / http://www.cehoward.net/situps1.AVI
Coming down from 3 miles up.. http://www.cehoward.net/188.jpg
My daily commuter motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/pretty4.JPG
My roadrace motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/630-P.jpg
cehowardrx7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #11
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute

Only a few months ago, Lance Armstrong would be eligible for such comparisons (up there with Federer etc.).

How things change.
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #12
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
This statistic is also called Grand Slam in F1. No-one has five (calendar-year) grand slams in tennis like Schuey has, let alone Jim Clark with 8 grand slams.
I don't care what they want to call it - winning the pole, leading the entire race & having the fastest lap is squat compared to winning a tennis major. In fact, it's squat even compared to winning a golf major. And yeah I am also a fan of motorsport.

BTW Grand Slam in tennis originally meant "winning all the majors in a single year" The four majors were referred to as "the tournaments that make up the Grand Slam" that was shortened to the "the four Grand Slam" tournaments and here we are today where most people call each major a Grand Slam.
"The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We are like a little child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written these books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books - a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects." - Albert Einstein
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #13
country flag gbenga

gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute

Graf.
gbenga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #14
country flag August

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
Only a few months ago, Lance Armstrong would be eligible for such comparisons (up there with Federer etc.).

How things change.
I'm waiting for some big name getting caught doping and then I'll open a comparision poll against Armstrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
I don't care what they want to call it - winning the pole, leading the entire race & having the fastest lap is squat compared to winning a tennis major. In fact, it's squat even compared to winning a golf major. And yeah I am also a fan of motorsport.

BTW Grand Slam in tennis originally meant "winning all the majors in a single year" The four majors were referred to as "the tournaments that make up the Grand Slam" that was shortened to the "the four Grand Slam" tournaments and here we are today where most people call each major a Grand Slam.
I know, F1 "grand slam" is far from tennis grand slam. I just couldn't help posting that to respond to Freak3y.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #15
country flag pov

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardrx7 View Post
Graf got a lot of her slams because one of her FANS and COUNTRYMAN (Parche Gunter) stabbed her main opposition giving her a free shot at that slams..

This will always come up with fair minded people when you talk about RECORDS, and GRAF. Talk about how she played, and leave the records alone!
No. Sorry. More like that will always come up with wankers who deal in "what ifs." No one knows what would have happened if Seles had not been stabbed. Plus her stabbing took about 3 months to fully heal. Her mental issues were all her own. And from the few book excerpts I've read they were simmering before that incident. I'd wager that had that happened to S.Williams she'd have been back kicking ass the next year. It's pathetic to try to diminish any player's accomplishments by whining about "well if this thing hadn't happened to some other player."