Greater GOAT? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Hmmmm

Roger Federer 65 47.45%
Serena Williams 63 45.99%
Too close to call 9 6.57%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #16
country flag ServeCaspian

ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Greater GOAT?

Serena at her best is better than everyone else. This isn't the case with Federer.

Also Serena has had a lot more injuries and shit than Fed ever did....SF streaks don't mean anything here.
Advertisement

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #17
country flag Glasgow Smile
テニプリ

Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute Glasgow Smile has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-Edge View Post
Fed reached 23 consecutive Grand Slam semifinals. What's Serena's best run?
not sure, but I can guarantee it's nowhere near 23. Probably 5
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #18
country flag Straight-Edge

Straight-Edge is a glorious beacon of light Straight-Edge is a glorious beacon of light Straight-Edge is a glorious beacon of light Straight-Edge is a glorious beacon of light Straight-Edge is a glorious beacon of light Straight-Edge is a glorious beacon of light Straight-Edge is a glorious beacon of light Straight-Edge is a glorious beacon of light Straight-Edge is a glorious beacon of light Straight-Edge is a glorious beacon of light Straight-Edge is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherahpova View Post
Serena at her best is better than everyone else. This isn't the case with Federer.

Also Serena has had a lot more injuries and shit than Fed ever did....SF streaks don't mean anything here.
That's because Nadal & Djokovic are also two of the greatest of all time. When they retire they'll easily have 20-25 GS between them. You can hardly say Serena's competed against two other legitimate GOATs throughout her career.

Expect maybe Henin & Hingis for a few years here and there...
Straight-Edge is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #19
country flag Alexander18

Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-Edge View Post
Fed reached 23 consecutive Grand Slam semifinals. What's Serena's best run?
Serena won all 4 slams in a row.

Fed
Alexander18 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #20
country flag Tennis_News

Tennis_News is a glorious beacon of light Tennis_News is a glorious beacon of light Tennis_News is a glorious beacon of light Tennis_News is a glorious beacon of light Tennis_News is a glorious beacon of light Tennis_News is a glorious beacon of light Tennis_News is a glorious beacon of light Tennis_News is a glorious beacon of light Tennis_News is a glorious beacon of light Tennis_News is a glorious beacon of light Tennis_News is a glorious beacon of light

Serena is far and above better than her competition. Roger is unbelievable, but he isn't beating guys 6-0, 6-1 regularly.
Tennis_News is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #21
country flag Marty-Dom

Marty-Dom has a reputation beyond repute Marty-Dom has a reputation beyond repute Marty-Dom has a reputation beyond repute Marty-Dom has a reputation beyond repute Marty-Dom has a reputation beyond repute Marty-Dom has a reputation beyond repute Marty-Dom has a reputation beyond repute Marty-Dom has a reputation beyond repute Marty-Dom has a reputation beyond repute Marty-Dom has a reputation beyond repute Marty-Dom has a reputation beyond repute

Serena has dominated her generation and is in process of dominating the next generation. By the time she retires she will probably have a significant winning record against any and all of the dominant players of the next 7-10 years. Something that Martina and Steffi can't claim. Martina was tied with Steffi and close with Monica, Steffi was close with both Williams Sisters, but Serena has a winning record against the previous greats (Monica, Steffi), her contemporaries (Venus, Justine, Kim, Amelie, Maria etc..) and owns the best of the next generation (Victoria, Petra, Aga etc).
I would argue that Serena is the most dominating female player of the Open Era, because in her 16 years on tour she has not met a champion that she could not dominate over time.
Roger is a great champion, but unlike Serena he got passed by younger guns by the time he was 30. Serena at 31+ years old is still beating the youngins.
Marty-Dom is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #22
country flag MANIACJANUARY

MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty-Dom View Post
Serena has dominated her generation and is in process of dominating the next generation. By the time she retires she will probably have a significant winning record against any and all of the dominant players of the next 7-10 years. Something that Martina and Steffi can't claim. Martina was tied with Steffi and close with Monica, Steffi was close with both Williams Sisters, but Serena has a winning record against the previous greats (Monica, Steffi), her contemporaries (Venus, Justine, Kim, Amelie, Maria etc..) and owns the best of the next generation (Victoria, Petra, Aga etc).
I would argue that Serena is the most dominating female player of the Open Era, because in her 16 years on tour she has not met a champion that she could not dominate over time.
Roger is a great champion, but unlike Serena he got passed by younger guns by the time he was 30. Serena at 31+ years old is still beating the youngins.
Well I'm not sure the "youngins" Serena is facing are anywhere near as good as Nadal, Djokovic, or even Murray. (relatively speaking of course.)
MANIACJANUARY is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #23
country flag practiceboy

practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future practiceboy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANIACJANUARY View Post
Well I'm not sure the "youngins" Serena is facing are anywhere near as good as Nadal, Djokovic, or even Murray. (relatively speaking of course.)
...because they keep losing to Serena.
practiceboy is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #24
country flag Alexander18

Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'd say they are as good relatively speaking. Vika, Maria, and sometimes Aga dominate the field except for Serena.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #25
country flag MANIACJANUARY

MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all MANIACJANUARY is a name known to all

I'm referring to their level of play and game rather than results, but we can agree to disagree nonetheless.

I said earlier that it's incomparable, so bye.
MANIACJANUARY is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #26
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Serena certainly. No question.

Come Along If You Need A Break From Tennis, But Want To Stay On TF.
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #27
country flag Alexander18

Quote:
I'm referring to their level of play and game rather than results, but we can agree to disagree nonetheless.

I said earlier that it's incomparable, so bye.
But how can you talk about their level of play and leave out results? Vika and Maria are routing players, and not allowing them more than a couple of games regularly.. their level of play is really high imo. Though we can agree to disagree

Though, I do find it strange that you have such a strong opinion (saying the ATP youngsters are at a higher level of play than the WTA youngsters) and then go on to say that they are incomparable.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #28
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty-Dom View Post
Roger still beats them sometimes when it matters (Djokovic at RG last year, Murray at Wimbledon). But I agree .

Come Along If You Need A Break From Tennis, But Want To Stay On TF.
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #29
country flag Alexander18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Maellard View Post
Roger still beats them sometimes when it matters (Djokovic at RG last year, Murray at Wimbledon). But I agree .
That's cherry picking though. Because Murray beat him at the Olympic final quite handily shortly after. Props to Federer though, he had a tough match vs Del Potro beforehand.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #30
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I come back to TF there's always a new ridiculous thread to laugh at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread