What has happened to Sloane Stephens since AO 2013? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:59 AM   #31
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What has happened to Sloane Stephens since AO 2013?

I dont think we should be too critical. Lots of young players that get a breakthrough at a slam fail to produce the same results after. Only special exceptions like Sharapova or Hingis adapt to the pressure and have a good transition to seniors. I don't think Sloane is ready yet for the grind of the tour.
Advertisement

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:00 AM   #32
country flag DOUBLEFIST

DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute

Sloane is not the Truth. Never has been.

Much of the problem has been that Sloane is the best American not named Williams and happens to be athletic, black and muscular so she must be a potential Serena... right? I think she's allowed those kinds of expectations to enfluence her.

Personally, I'm not a fan yet. Matter of fact, I don't particularly like her personality. She seems like she wants to be liked too much by the "establishment."

Best thing she could do is extract herself from the USTA program, find an elite coach, back off on the schedule and work on getting better.
DOUBLEFIST is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:06 AM   #33
country flag englando08

englando08 has much to be proud of englando08 has much to be proud of englando08 has much to be proud of englando08 has much to be proud of englando08 has much to be proud of englando08 has much to be proud of englando08 has much to be proud of englando08 has much to be proud of englando08 has much to be proud of englando08 has much to be proud of englando08 has much to be proud of

She isn't as good as her results have made her seem. Her game (backhand and reluctance to attack) and attitude need a lot of work still.
englando08 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:07 AM   #34
country flag n1_and_uh_noone

n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is pressure at all. I mean, there have been surprise GS SFists before. I think she has just adopted a poor attitude since, not working hard enough on court. She even said in an interview that she could lose 1st round throughout the summer and still be top 30, so she doesn't care if she wins or loses. Worst attitude ever

- Li Na

(after dramatic 3-set AO 2013 final, where she took 2 nasty spills and twisted her ankle).
n1_and_uh_noone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:08 AM   #35
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetadri06 View Post
I dont think we should be too critical. Lots of young players that get a breakthrough at a slam fail to produce the same results after. Only special exceptions like Sharapova or Hingis adapt to the pressure and have a good transition to seniors. I don't think Sloane is ready yet for the grind of the tour.
Balanced post and I pretty much agree. The girl needs more time. These days players don't zoom up through the rankings straight into the top 10.

But she isn't doing herself any favours by buying into her own importance and success and she really does need to get grounded or she is going to start alienating a lot of people who could have become her fans.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:08 AM   #36
country flag dagamezbest

dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensity View Post
Needs to have some more motivation, her start to the season was magnificent so she was probably motivating and training right in order to do well there but since then she has become lazy, if she doesn't want to compete at her best everything besides the GS she might as well forget about being a top player, she needs to take each match like its a GS match and be smart.

Stop waiting for an error and stop being predictable, if she starts to show this and works harder the results will come and if they don't and she's still working hard maybe it's another factor like her coach or she's being told the wrong things but for now it's all on wether she really has that motivation and love for tennis.

If she wants to keep play lazily at the smaller events she's never gonna reach the higher rankings especially with her inconsistancy.
This is really spot on. You nailed it. She coming out expecting to win, not working the points, and doesnt seem to have the same drive that she did in January. She just got here way to fast for her own good.
dagamezbest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:12 AM   #37
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1_and_uh_noone View Post
I don't think it is pressure at all. I mean, there have been surprise GS SFists before. I think she has just adopted a poor attitude since, not working hard enough on court. She even said in an interview that she could lose 1st round throughout the summer and still be top 30, so she doesn't care if she wins or loses. Worst attitude ever
If that is how she feels, she has no business in being in an individual sport.

It is almost is she sabotages herself in order to take the pressure of expectations off herself.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Live Stream, football, tennis, etc.. : http://www.sportlemon.tv/
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:15 AM   #38
country flag JCTennisFan

JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
Balanced post and I pretty much agree. The girl needs more time. These days players don't zoom up through the rankings straight into the top 10.

But she isn't doing herself any favours by buying into her own importance and success and she really does need to get grounded or she is going to start alienating a lot of people who could have become her fans.
I know right!

Kvitova took roughly 13-14 years after turning Pro to get into the top 10....

She beat the #1 seed at the 09 US open and did NOTHING afterwards.... poor girl.

And don't even get me started on Wozniacki! Girl took forever to get to #1... I mean why didn't she just give up if it was gonna take her until her late 20s to get the top spot...

Oh wait!

JCTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:23 AM   #39
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTennisFan View Post
I know right!

Kvitova took roughly 13-14 years after turning Pro to get into the top 10....

She beat the #1 seed at the 09 US open and did NOTHING afterwards.... poor girl.

And don't even get me started on Wozniacki! Girl took forever to get to #1... I mean why didn't she just give up if it was gonna take her until her late 20s to get the top spot...

Kvitova? She broke into the top 50 in 2008. It was another 3 years before she cracked the top 10. Wozniacki? It was 4 years ago that she cracked into the top 10. When you need to go back 4 years in an attempt to disprove my point, you actually do the exact opposite, you prove my point. Thank you very much.

Fact remains we haven't had a player zoom into the top 10 from nowhere in 4 years.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:29 AM   #40
country flag Sally Todd

Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
If that is how she feels, she has no business in being in an individual sport.

It is almost is she sabotages herself in order to take the pressure of expectations off herself.
Believe it or not, she really said it (in Miami), and then rolled her eyes and said "Obviously" when a reporter asked then asked her if she wanted to win.

Her attitude is lousy.
Sally Todd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:56 AM   #41
country flag Crater718

Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold Crater718 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEFIST View Post

Much of the problem has been that Sloane is the best American not named Williams and happens to be athletic, black and muscular so she must be a potential Serena... right? I think she's allowed those kinds of expectations to enfluence her.
We seriously need to find the next best American. Yes, I'm being spoiled but we got like 4 years left with Serena.

We don't want the women's side to end up being like American men's side which is pretty much a wasteland...
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 02:09 AM   #42
country flag alexjones

alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold

she got overconfident after getting to teh AU open semis and now she seems to think she can beat lesser players easily when she can't.
alexjones is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 02:11 AM   #43
country flag alexjones

alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Todd View Post
Believe it or not, she really said it (in Miami), and then rolled her eyes and said "Obviously" when a reporter asked then asked her if she wanted to win.

Her attitude is lousy.
well as much as I'm not a fan of stephens I have to agree with her attitude there, OF COURSE she wants to bloody win!!! I Imagine every player on the tour wants to win!!!
alexjones is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 02:44 AM   #44
country flag JCTennisFan

JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
Kvitova? She broke into the top 50 in 2008. It was another 3 years before she cracked the top 10. Wozniacki? It was 4 years ago that she cracked into the top 10. When you need to go back 4 years in an attempt to disprove my point, you actually do the exact opposite, you prove my point. Thank you very much.

Fact remains we haven't had a player zoom into the top 10 from nowhere in 4 years.
You sure are a riot!

Wozniacki was in the top 10 in late 08..... then the very next year was the Finalist at the US open... then the next year was #1 for God knows how many weeks straight...

Stephens has been playing ITF level events since 2007..... so even if she went on to be YE number 1 this year she still would not have been an "overnight star" by your definition because she has been playing Pro level for roughly 5 and a half years now.

So, with all of that being said, why did you even make an excuse for her being relatively new on the scene (thus why you say she is slumping because she can't go through the rankings overnight!) if she has been playing pro tennis for a half decade?

I just took your argument and turned it on its' head.... have a nice day .
JCTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 02:51 AM   #45
country flag breakfast zhang

breakfast zhang is just really nice breakfast zhang is just really nice breakfast zhang is just really nice breakfast zhang is just really nice breakfast zhang is just really nice breakfast zhang is just really nice breakfast zhang is just really nice breakfast zhang is just really nice breakfast zhang is just really nice breakfast zhang is just really nice breakfast zhang is just really nice

Li na can answer this one
breakfast zhang is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote