What has happened to Sloane Stephens since AO 2013? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:24 AM   #16
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of
Re: What has happened to Sloane Stephens since AO 2013?

self-destruction
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:25 AM   #17
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

Williams curse has been cast on her She's mentally fried The win over an injured Serena gave

her the illusion that she had arrived in the big leagues. ...when you beat a Williams & talk big, you

know what happens next
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:27 AM   #18
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably can't deal with the pressure of being ranked so high and becoming a target. Much different being the hunted vs hunter.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:29 AM   #19
country flag Shinjii

Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future Shinjii has a brilliant future

She just needs to fine tune her game. The win against Serena was a clear fluke and she couldn't handle everything that followed. Also, her attitude needs some adjustment. She just said in Miami that she could lose in the first round of the next four tournaments and still be top 30. Who thinks like that?
Shinjii is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:30 AM   #20
country flag dagamezbest

dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold

I just hope Madison Keys and Taylor Townsend are taking notes and see how the media & attention can get to talented players. Hopefully when they have their breakout tournaments they will handle it a bit better. Sad day.
dagamezbest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:34 AM   #21
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee Williams View Post
it's called pressure... a Serena effect
It used to be called the William curse when Venus and Serena took tennis buy storm.

Back then, after an average player get an unexpected win over Venus or Serena, they would be drunk with such delirium and high expectation from the press, that they would buckle under the pressure.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:35 AM   #22
country flag dagamezbest

dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barktra View Post
Nothing has really changed her game wise she still is trying to get use to playing at bigger events and being a name now
I disagree there is alot that has changed about her game. She has gotten bagelled 3 times out of her last 3 matches. Those results are out of her character, she normally never loses a set at love. It's a sign that she is not enjoying tennis at the moment. Thats mental. That's pressure.
dagamezbest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:36 AM   #23
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute
She has the talent to back up her current ranking but she has many things to work on in her game. That win at the AO QF was unfortunate for her in a lot of ways. She went from being unseeded and a dangerous floater to a top seed with direct entry into any tournament she wants. I really think she has the game to turn it around eventually but this isn't the end of her slump I'm pretty sure.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:37 AM   #24
country flag Annie.

Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute

Annie. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:38 AM   #25
country flag Verena

Verena has a brilliant future Verena has a brilliant future Verena has a brilliant future Verena has a brilliant future Verena has a brilliant future Verena has a brilliant future Verena has a brilliant future Verena has a brilliant future Verena has a brilliant future Verena has a brilliant future Verena has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
She's in a horrible slump. During her match today, she started crying while her coach tried to motivate her.

Maybe she is having a hard time dealing with this new found success and she's cracking under pressure.

She a "Big girl" ain't she?

Well, in the wise words of Fergie "Big girls don't cry"
Verena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:46 AM   #26
country flag mdterp01

mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute

The weight of expectation can either propel a person or hinder them. Its clearly hindered Sloane. I hope she's not going to go into A. Stevenson territory, but she clearly hasn't been able to handle the limelight since the win over Serena at the Australian Open.

Serena Williams Australian Open Champion (03,05,07,09,10)
French Open Champion (02,13)
Wimbledon Champion (02,03,09,10,12)
US Open Champion (99,02,08,12,13)
mdterp01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:50 AM   #27
country flag Grigorpova

Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of

Needs to have some more motivation, her start to the season was magnificent so she was probably motivating and training right in order to do well there but since then she has become lazy, if she doesn't want to compete at her best everything besides the GS she might as well forget about being a top player, she needs to take each match like its a GS match and be smart.

Stop waiting for an error and stop being predictable, if she starts to show this and works harder the results will come and if they don't and she's still working hard maybe it's another factor like her coach or she's being told the wrong things but for now it's all on wether she really has that motivation and love for tennis.

If she wants to keep play lazily at the smaller events she's never gonna reach the higher rankings especially with her inconsistancy.
Grigorpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:54 AM   #28
country flag C-Woz-A-Rod

C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold

Clearly struggling under pressure.

Her Australian Run definitely caught our attention, but of the opponents she had to play, it was quite an easy run, and with Williams more or less injured, it was no surprise she went as far as she did.

Halep easy, Mladenovic that was before her breakthrough tournament, but even since then she hasn't set the tour alight and has struggled herself, Robson many people said Sloane would win and she did, then Jovanovski who had a good run herself.

Sloane didn't have to play another seed until the Quarter Finals against Serena.

Now she is coming up against better equipped players, and players ranked in the top 32 and struggling, like Zakopalova, Cirstea and Aga, while also suffering poor defeats to Urszula and now Mattek Sands.

Think it's a mixture of pressure, and playing better opponents is what she is struggling to deal with.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:54 AM   #29
country flag JCTennisFan

JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute

People expected Sloane to hit the ground running after her fluke of a SF at the AO?

WOW!

Sometimes ya'll are too much, .

What has happened to Slone after the AO? She came back down to earth, thats what happened.
JCTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:54 AM   #30
country flag slaprackets

slaprackets is just really nice slaprackets is just really nice slaprackets is just really nice slaprackets is just really nice slaprackets is just really nice slaprackets is just really nice slaprackets is just really nice slaprackets is just really nice slaprackets is just really nice slaprackets is just really nice slaprackets is just really nice

Ain't it obvious though!?
slaprackets is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote