Clay Court 2013: Sam on the Road to Roland Garros - Page 53 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 6th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #781
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future
Re: Clay Court 2013: Sam on the Road to Roland Garros

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
If her leg is actually feeling fine and she doesn't need to rest it before RG, I think she should take the gamble and play Brussels or Strasbourg in the prior ...
Me too. I know she isnt one to whore tournaments and would rather train but she really does need more matches before RG, especially if she doesnt get too many in Rome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #782
country flag Pasta-Na

Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute Pasta-Na has a reputation beyond repute

Sam

Asian-GOAT-Na Li: 11" FO & 14" AO champion + 11" & 13" AO runner-up + #2
Little-Jie(06" AO & Wim) + Pusher-Shu(13" Wim & 14" FO & WD#1) + Sucky Baby Golden Flowers.
Pasta-Na is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #783
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by annetcl View Post
The last ue summed the match up

Exactly.
Rusted as hell… Except training very hard now, I don’t know how she can be competitive for RG.
B.

bertisonline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #784
country flag annetcl

annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertisonline View Post
Exactly.
Rusted as hell… Except training very hard now, I don’t know how she can be competitive for RG.
B.

Rome is her only redemption now - she needs to feel she is playing well enough going into the French - this period reminds me a bit of her run going into the USO last year - she struggled in Montreal but put in a few good sets in Cincy and did ok at the USO. She will need good draws for sure in both Rome and Paris. I believe in fate - if the RG trophy is her destiny - she will get it no matter how bleak the weeks and months before look. We shall see. Keeping the faith and an open mind - if she loses its not the end of the world I suppose. Keep on keeping on.
annetcl is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #785
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future

Depressing result, what a disaster this clay season is becoming. I have tickets to the French open final next month, my hope of seeing Sammy is looking unlikely

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #786
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

Quote:
Rome is her only redemption now - she needs to feel she is playing well enough going into the French - this period reminds me a bit of her run going into the USO last year - she struggled in Montreal but put in a few good sets in Cincy and did ok at the USO. She will need good draws for sure in both Rome and Paris. I believe in fate - if the RG trophy is her destiny - she will get it no matter how bleak the weeks and months before look.
I feel totally the same: 100%.

Quote:
We shall see. Keeping the faith and an open mind - if she loses its not the end of the world I suppose. Keep on keeping on.
I feel totally the opposite: 200% — and I’m serious about it…

B. —>
bertisonline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #787
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

While not ruling anything out - with non-linear Sam, anything is possible - I think Sam's chances of pulling off the RG title this year have shrunk to very slim at best. As so often, the problem is not so much with her form as with her confidence. She is showing some flashes of great form, but because she has so few recent wins under her belt, her confidence is very fragile, leading to indecisive play, silly errors, etc. The fact that this is 99% down to bad luck - what are the odds of drawing two in-form top-25 players in your first two tournaments back after injury? - doesn't help her.

Even last year, when she had a far better clay season than this year, her relative lack of good wins sapped her confidence when she needed it most, which IMO is why she played so inexplicable badly against Errani in the SF. So unless she chalks up some stunning wins next week, I think she will stumble at the first sign of serious resistance at RG. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm trying to be realistic.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #788
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, you can go with the whole "reason" and "logic" route if you want, but you're forgetting the critical Sam-is-29-factor

But yeah, unless she pulls something out of thin air in Rome and/or picks up an unlikely wildcard the week after, it's *very* tough to see her playing in the final at the end of the tournament. A QF would be a great effort, from this point. Having said that, in 2009 she made the RG SF after only having won one clay match in the lead up tournaments, which is exactly where she is right now, so I will still keep my hopes high and deal with the probable fallout later
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #789

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
I mean, you can go with the whole "reason" and "logic" route if you want, but you're forgetting the critical Sam-is-29-factor

But yeah, unless she pulls something out of thin air in Rome and/or picks up an unlikely wildcard the week after, it's *very* tough to see her playing in the final at the end of the tournament. A QF would be a great effort, from this point. Having said that, in 2009 she made the RG SF after only having won one clay match in the lead up tournaments, which is exactly where she is right now, so I will still keep my hopes high and deal with the probable fallout later
Good point, I was indeed forgetting that. This has cheered me up no end

Seriously, I think a QF or even with a bit of luck a SF is still quite on the cards. It's just hard to see her winning 7 matches on the trot to take the title, unless she can crick her confidence up before the tournament starts. A good run in Rome is her best chance of that now. Playing Brussels or Strasbourg would give her valuable match rhythm, but probably not the kind of big wins she would need to get her confidence up.

What has also perversely cheered me up is the fact that so many other seeds are having such a miserable time in Madrid. Easier somehow to see Sam down on her luck when others are suffering as well

Last edited by stromatolite : May 8th, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #790
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold

I just have this strange feeling that she is going to bomb at RG much to my distaste but will pull off a good grass season as she will go there with a "fuck it, I am just going to hit out" attitude. I really hope I am wrong as I have tickets to the Thursday first week session at RG and am praying that she survives the first round or two and plays the day I am there.
Anyone know when Rome draw comes out?

really hope she finds form soon as it really is crap only watching her play once every few weeks.
Ado. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #791

^I guess Friday or Saturday, probably the latter, but I'm really not sure. If she draws Venus or someone similar, I'm going to join the ranks of the rigged-draw conspiracy theorists

Then again, if Sam continues to bomb out early, maybe she'll have her "fuck it, I'm just going to hit out" epiphany at RG already
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #792
country flag annetcl

annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adomoose View Post
I just have this strange feeling that she is going to bomb at RG much to my distaste but will pull off a good grass season as she will go there with a "fuck it, I am just going to hit out" attitude. I really hope I am wrong as I have tickets to the Thursday first week session at RG and am praying that she survives the first round or two and plays the day I am there.
Anyone know when Rome draw comes out?

really hope she finds form soon as it really is crap only watching her play once every few weeks.

I hope to god she finds some form sharpish - a kind draw in Rome would help! I am going to the French Open too - have tickets for first weekend - really hope Sam still be there! Please give her a kind draw tennis gods!

Like Stro said, its comforting to see so many top players struggling in Madrid - hopefully Sam does not feel as bad about her loss. The R16 in Sam's quarter of the draw is Kanepi vs Hantucova

On a brighter note great to see her getting stuck into training on real clay already in Rome :

@SamStosurFans: Sam #Stosur on FB: "3 hours on court this morning now for some treatment in the Italian sun.

Last edited by annetcl : May 8th, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
annetcl is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #793

Not sure that DT is the problem atm. I have the impression that the problem is more about execution than that there is any major flaw in her game plan. She was trying to be very aggressive against CSN, which is the right tactic against a player like that I believe, but was alternating awesome winners with inexplicable errors. Her serve also seemed to lack any real zip, which was allowing Carla too much opportunity to sieze the initiative, which it has to be said, she did really well.

I think the poor execution is mainly down to rustiness and a lack of confidence, and the Madrid conditions probably didn't help either. It's also worth pointing out that she played well enough in both Stuttgart and Madrid to pull off a win against most lower-ranked players. Both her opponents played really well to beat her.

I think she mainly needs a couple of kinder draws to allow her to build up her confidence and rhythm. She has had nothing but rotten luck all year, surely that has to change at some point
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #794
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post

What has also perversely cheered me up is the fact that so many other seeds are having such a miserable time in Madrid. Easier somehow to see Sam down on her luck when others are suffering as well
There could be a bit more schaedenfreude flying around in another fifteen minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by annetcl
On a brighter note great to see her getting stuck into training on real clay already in Rome :

@SamStosurFans: Sam #Stosur on FB: "3 hours on court this morning now for some treatment in the Italian sun.
Three hours of treatment - does not sound so good. She still seems to be really working with the injury rather than moving on from it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite
I think she mainly needs a couple of kinder draws to allow her to build up her confidence and rhythm. She has had nothing but rotten luck all year, surely that has to change at some point
Even with all her cruddy luck, bad draws, injuries, and general Australian season-ness, she's still on track to finish in the top 30, which is obviously not where we'd like her to be, but not catastrophic.
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #795

^AMG had her on the ropes, but blew it

This is why I can never regard Serena as one of the top favorites for RG. She simply can't dominate on clay like she does on other surfaces, so as soon as she runs into an opponent who can defend well and knows how to work points on clay, she struggles.

Not sure what Sam meant by "treatment". Hopefully just some routine stuff

Top 30 is pretty incredible under the circumstances, but of course does her no justice at all