Clay Court 2013: Sam on the Road to Roland Garros - Page 106 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 17th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1576
country flag annetcl

annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold
Re: Clay Court 2013: Sam on the Road to Roland Garros

Cheer up guys - this week has turned out better than we expected. I know her having quite a few chances to win made this more disappointing but like Stro said given that Sam still had cobwebs beating vika was a tough ask. Think Sam would more likely beat Vika at a Grand Slam than a normal tournament - Vika would have more at stake at a Grand Slam like last year at the USO = more nerves. So Sam, lets gun down Vika at the French! But Stro, down the whiskey anyway why not

Wonder if Sam will still blog tomorrow - I submitted 2 questions
annetcl is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #1577
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by annetcl View Post
Cheer up guys - this week has turned out better than we expected. I know her having quite a few chances to win made this more disappointing but like Stro said given that Sam still had cobwebs beating vika was a tough ask. Think Sam would more likely beat Vika at a Grand Slam than a normal tournament - Vika would have more at stake at a Grand Slam like last year at the USO = more nerves. So Sam, lets gun down Vika at the French! But Stro, down the whiskey anyway why not

Wonder if Sam will still blog tomorrow - I submitted 2 questions
I'm actually feeling really good right now. Of course I'm a bit disappointed, but my prevailing feeling is joy in seeing the real Sam back in action, even if it was only for a set and a bit. Such a thrill to see that girl in full flight, nobody else can give me that buzz

I think Sam'll leave Rome feeling good as well. She won't dwell on the loss I don't think, but will remember she had Vika on the ropes. If she can do that to Vika, she can do it to anybody, including Serena (as she's already proven in 2010). I wouldn't have dared to say this a week ago, but I think she's got a great shot at winning the FO title.

Pretty sure Sam'll do the blog one more time. Can't wait to read your questions and Sam's answers
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #1578
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I feel the same. I can feel a large whiskey coming on
Keep some for the final stages of the FO! Definitely needed!
I skipped the TBs of the USO 11 of 3 matches in a row for one reason: nothing to ease down the tension.
B.

Last edited by bertisonline : May 17th, 2013 at 10:56 PM.
bertisonline is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #1579

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertisonline View Post
Keep some the final stages of the FO! Definitely needed!
I skipped the TBs of the USO 11 of 3 matches in a row for one reason: nothing to ease down the tension
B.
Don't worry, a bottle of whiskey usually lasts me a couple of years at least. I have just had a couple of shots and am feeling pretty mellow, so I think I can maybe go to sleep soon.

Won't touch the bottle again until the French, and there's plenty left to celebrate Sam's victory there
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #1580
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

Her blog after the Vika's match is really positive.
Final Post: "Before and after".
B.
bertisonline is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #1581
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm actually feeling really good right now. Of course I'm a bit disappointed, but my prevailing feeling is joy in seeing the real Sam back in action, even if it was only for a set and a bit. Such a thrill to see that girl in full flight, nobody else can give me that buzz
This. I was starting to worry that maybe injuries/age were catching up with her. Before this tournament she seemed to have lost a lot of explosiveness on her FH, but it's come back. Just makes me happy to see her play at such a high level, even if she couldn't quite maintain it consistently over the three sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annetcl View Post
p
I really believe that if this match-up happens at RG this year Sam will win in two comfortable sets. I think the stats yesterday suggest that she has the better game for clay, she just needs extra confidence. On hardcourts Vika has mostly been able to lock Sam out of the match with her consistency of the ground, but Sammy definitely had her opportunities yesterday, and was the better player when she was taking the initiative. She *has* to believe she can win their next match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertisonline View Post
Her blog after the Vika's match is really positive.
Final Post: "Before and after".
B.
Thanks Bertrand - another great read
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #1582
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Don't worry, a bottle of whiskey usually lasts me a couple of years at least. I have just had a couple of shots and am feeling pretty mellow, so I think I can maybe go to sleep soon.

Won't touch the bottle again until the French, and there's plenty left to celebrate Sam's victory there
Thats not for real is it?

Yep Im ready to drink my way through FO too. I tell you she's turned us all into alcos. But this time like you say itll be in celebration
Old May 18th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #1583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntress55 View Post
Thats not for real is it?

Yep Im ready to drink my way through FO too. I tell you she's turned us all into alcos. But this time like you say itll be in celebration
Afraid so. Actually, I hardly ever drink strong liquor. Lately it's only after particularly tense Sam matches that I indulge in a glass or two, by which I guess I could say that Sam is driving me to drink
Old May 18th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #1584
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold

After falling asleep again last night before the match (I am either getting old or working too hard as I have no staying power) I managed to watch the match today and have had time to ponder over it. I must say that the only thing that let her down was the belief that she deserved to win. For most of the match she bossed Vika around and looked the better player...and then she would tense up at times and the zing in her forehand and serve would momentarily disappear. Overall it is so good to see Sam dominant against the top girls (even if the results dont show) and I hope this spurs her on to a big run at the French.

I must say that second set was just delicious. Giving Vika a bread stick after all the past beatings must have felt good.

The most pleasing thing is that she is beginning to work out how to beat the tall big hitters. In the last year she has found a way to best Masha, Petra and really push Vika, when only 18+ months earlier she could barely win games let along sets from these girls.

I am now really looking forward to Roland Garros and hope that I get to see her in full boss mode when I am there.

Last edited by Ado. : May 18th, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
Ado. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1585

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Sooo bored with Serena/Masha/Vika winning everything. I know they deserve the results they're getting entirely, and they're clearly the three best players in the world, but it makes life fairly dull. At this stage I would be happy with someone like Kerber or Kvitova snapping up some big titles (although preferably Sammy of course! ).

Old May 20th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1586

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
Sooo bored with Serena/Masha/Vika winning everything. I know they deserve the results they're getting entirely, and they're clearly the three best players in the world, but it makes life fairly dull. At this stage I would be happy with someone like Kerber or Kvitova snapping up some big titles (although preferably Sammy of course! ).
If Sam doesn't win I don't too much mind these three winning, but yeah, it'd be nice to see people like Kvitty winning as well. Also NaNa, who would be the player I'd love to see win RG if Sam has to miss out.

What I'm really getting a gutful of is the endless gloating by Serena fans, and the never-ending shitfight between Serena and Masha fans that spills over onto every single thread on GM.

And oh yeah, while I'm in the bitching mood, I hope Caro gets thrashed in her first match in Brussels. Not that it matters for the seeding at RG, but it would get up my nose no end to see her vulture her way ahead of Sam again in the rankings.
Old May 20th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #1587

Yeah, Na would be my favourite, plausible non-Sam option, but to be honest I would be happy for almost *anyone* outside of the Masha/Vika/Serena trinity to be snapping up a major title ... maybe not Errani

It's tough to tell what will happen to Caro in Brussels; I think she could lose first round, but it's also tough to see who is going to beat her if she plays at a decent level. If she does get to the number nine seed, hopefully she matches up with Kvitova at the FO as revenge

Old May 20th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #1588

Quote:
Yeah, Na would be my favourite, plausible non-Sam option, but to be honest I would be happy for almost *anyone* outside of the Masha/Vika/Serena trinity to be snapping up a major title ... maybe not Errani

It's tough to tell what will happen to Caro in Brussels; I think she could lose first round, but it's also tough to see who is going to beat her if she plays at a decent level. If she does get to the number nine seed, hopefully she matches up with Kvitova at the FO as revenge
The FO seedings are based on current rankings, so whatever Caro does this week won't matter for the seedings. I just want to see her lose

As she's already shown this year, she really sucks on clay, so any half-decent player could take her out this week. Trouble is that there aren't many half-decent players (on clay) in her half of the draw. Maybe good memories of past wins will allow Jools to shrug off her inner headcase and take her out in R2.

As for RG: unless Caro gets a complete cakewalk draw, I can't see her going far there. Trouble is, she's hardly defending any points, and Sam is defending a SF spot, so Sam has to reach the semis again to have any chance of staying/getting back ahead of her.
Old May 20th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1589
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I do agree with you all, I am a little over the Serena/Masha/Vika dominance and the vomit that comes out in GM over "who is better" "who is the best" blah blah blah. Even more so the finals are just such one sided bore fests. I appreciate they are consistently good but so bland when they play each other.

Luckily Caro can tourney whore all she likes in Brussels, the 9th seed is Sam's.
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1590
country flag Ado.

If Sam cant win the FO I would like to see either Na, Petra or a complete non top 10 random win it...or just for fun, Maria beats Serena in the final so that GM explodes.