STUTTGART 2013: Claypova slays and wins 2nd Porsche! - Page 33 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 03:38 PM   #481
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future
Re: STUTTGART 2013: Aint no backseat in my Porsche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreiter View Post
WUT she served and volley'd during that match?!?! Somebody needs to tell me when in the match that happened so I can have a heart attack

Dead at the 'one of the greatest moments in sports'
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 03:42 PM   #482
country flag Steven.

Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute

Maria used to S&V often enough in her early career. And then it regressed to just net approaches after a big groundstroke (she was still doing this in 2009/2010), and now to no net game at all
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 03:45 PM   #483
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Bitch needs to do that more
Cosmic Voices is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 03:48 PM   #484
country flag ServeCaspian

ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute ServeCaspian has a reputation beyond repute

Global Ambassador!!!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 03:52 PM   #485
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven. View Post
Maria used to S&V often enough in her early career. And then it regressed to just net approaches after a big groundstroke (she was still doing this in 2009/2010), and now to no net game at all
IKR. I think those horrible losses in 2010 made her lose confidence in her drive volleys. That and the rise of claypova and she's firmly planted on the baseline now.

Although now that her serve is somewhat firing hopefully she has more chances to do her 1-2 punch game, which is really her natural peak game style.
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:10 PM   #486
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by domon17th View Post
IKR. I think those horrible losses in 2010 made her lose confidence in her drive volleys. That and the rise of claypova and she's firmly planted on the baseline now.

Although now that her serve is somewhat firing hopefully she has more chances to do her 1-2 punch game, which is really her natural peak game style.
she will have plenty of oppotunities to practise this in Stuttgart - her serve was working wonders on this surface last year and her ground game wasn't yet grooved like in later clay events, yet she still toughed out all the matches with her serve alone Hopefully this year she'll come to the net more often as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:44 PM   #487
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Maria definitely needs to come to the net more.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:49 PM   #488
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Do we know what time the live chat will be tomorrow?
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:54 PM   #489
country flag Pimp_Me_Pova

Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold

she is slideing to her FH side
i can't wait to see that

claypova is coming

serve & volley, she should put in her game, now she is faster and serve is much more consistant so why not on clay she should do that on regular bases

Maria Sharapova, Kim Aussie Clijsters, Roger Fedex Federer, Petra Kvitova, JMDP, Sabine Lisicki
Pimp_Me_Pova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 05:55 PM   #490
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

I crave for the video of her sliding if there is one. I crave for the matches to begin, I'm so pumped up for Stuttgart like it's RG.
All those pics from Porsche had an unbelievable hype effect.
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 05:57 PM   #491
country flag PimpMePova

PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future PimpMePova has a brilliant future

Yes whoever has that video please post it already
PimpMePova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 07:19 PM   #492
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future

It seems like whenever Maria loses a match, one of the questions that usually gets asked of her by the press afterwards is why she didn't come to net more to try to change tactics and momentum. And Maria always answers that it's just not who she is.

I've said that I wish Maria would've worked more on her net game and added more wrinkles. She's never been great at it, but I felt that the occasional serve and volley or net charge can be a useful way to throw off an opponent and make them more uncomfortable. Even if she loses the point, it at least gives them something to think about. But, at the same time, it's not vital to Maria's game or future success. She can still continue to win without it.

I think Maria's total abandonment of her net game coincided with her change in coaches to Thomas. As was noted, she was still throwing in volleying here and there as recently as 2009/2010. It makes you wonder if this was a mutual strategy by Maria and Thomas to focus on other areas of her game. Maybe they decided to emphasize improving the parts that were already good but weren't as sharp as they used to be, like her serve and her forehand and her return. We know about the serving problems and how slow a process it's been to get that effective and consistent again. Her whole game revolves around that serve, so it's possible they felt it would be a waste of time to relegate practice to net and volleying when she was already a proven winner without that aspect.

And it makes sense when you see the results. 4 titles in the past 12 months and 11 finals appearances in the last 15 months. Her improvements in her serve, groundstrokes, and fitness have paid dividends. So seeing a little serve and volleying would be a sweet bonus, but I'm not really going to be bothered if she doesn't use it. Especially if she continues to excel in other areas. I can't help but use Maria's own quote from her presser after losing to Serena in Miami:

Q. You never went to the net the whole game. Was that a part of your strategy or opportunity?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, I think for me it's not really about maybe going to the net to play two or three volleys. I think for me it's more about moving into the court and being aggressive and looking for the short ball to really hurt the opponent.
You know, I'm not a serve and volleyer or a volleyer. I mean, that's not the way that I play. But when I am playing well and being aggressive, I'm inside the court, I'm looking for the opportunities to step in and come in, whether that means I'm hitting an approach shot or a swing volley or a volley to finish it off. I hit a few short balls, but I don't think I hit volleys.

Last edited by Mexicola : Apr 22nd, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 08:05 PM   #493
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps she's just afraid to be lobbed. Sounds silly, I know. But you almost never see her smash a ball. Even if she has to give up territory she always prefers to swing volley them or let the ball bounce.

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 08:28 PM   #494
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Perhaps she's just afraid to be lobbed. Sounds silly, I know. But you almost never see her smash a ball. Even if she has to give up territory she always prefers to swing volley them or let the ball bounce.
yeah, this actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it...she loves to control the points by gradually stepping into the court more and more before finishing the point with either a groundstroke winner or a swing volley. The prospect of not being fully in control of the point (e.g. being lobbed or having to retreat back to the baseline and consequently surrendering the control of the point) is probably very uncomfortable for her...that said, I've seen her trying way more conventional volleys and drop shots on clay over the last few years than on any other surface. This probably has a lot to do with all the time she's got on clay as opposed to hard or grass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:11 PM   #495
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Maria is usually the one to dish out spectacular lobs
Cosmic Voices is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote