•~º~º~Welcome to Vikaland~º~º~ • off-topic/introduction thread- Vikalume 2. - Page 226 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 8th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #3376
country flag hurricanejeanne

hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: •~º~º~Welcome to Vikaland~º~º~ • off-topic/introduction thread- Vikalume 2.

Doing the annual like/dislike lists for 7 years now and I miss the days where it was easier to come up with the lists.
hurricanejeanne is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 8th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #3377
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

I guess this year Vika will finish second behind Errani as the most disliked player. It's funny to observe which fanbases often rank her highly on their dislike lists: Sharapova fans, Wozniacki fans, Radwanska fans and Na fans. Did I miss any?
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #3378
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think she will be that low .
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3379
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Well firstly I just wanted to bump the off topic thread . Hope you are all well .

Anyway I was reading the latest mailbag here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...bag/index.html.

This bit took my attention:
Quote:
On Monday evening, I am checking the mobile website of ESPN (the network that televised the final of the ATP World Tour Finals) and the match did not make the top five stories at the top of the page, nor is there a link in any of the 10 or so secondary stories on the main page. Yes, the match does get a small mention on the regular website, but you would think the "network that covers the majors" would provide more coverage.
-- John, Greenville, S.C.

• When -- if? -- the ATP ever gets around to hiring a CEO, here's some advice for the new boss: Commission a panel to study how tennis can get out of this vicious media cycle. The sport is promoted horribly and is in a long-term abusive relationship with television. Thus the ratings and metrics are lousy. Citing the lousy ratings, the networks continue to treat tennis shabbily.

I'm telling you, I've been in these conversations and they go something like this:

Network: "How can we take tennis seriously when some Serb plays someone from Bohemia and they do ratings that rival a test pattern?"

Tennis: "When you bury tennis and shift starting times and don't promote the sport on your other platforms and dismiss players if they're not from the markets you prefer, you're already dooming the sport."

Network: "Maybe you misunderstand. I have nothing against tennis. My wife still plays at the club. It's just that from a P&L perspective, I can't justify a 45-second clip on SportsCenter -- much less real programming time and money -- for two guys viewers don't care about."
This had me thinking. Firstly the real problem there isn't a problem of marketing at all. It's a problem of just a lack of top American male player. There's nothing for them to particularly market.

It's interesting how most the forecasts for tennis in America are of doom and gloom. I mean in this article it tries to apply this as if it's a world issue, which I don't believe it really is.

You do wonder what the future of American events is. Even on the WTA where they have the women's world number one, you have events disappearing at an alarming rate. It's pretty much down to its bare bones from next year with only 4 events in the US in the build up to the US Open. A situation which isn't exactly helping them develop stars of the future.
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #3380
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Well firstly I just wanted to bump the off topic thread . Hope you are all well .

Anyway I was reading the latest mailbag here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...bag/index.html.

This bit took my attention:

This had me thinking. Firstly the real problem there isn't a problem of marketing at all. It's a problem of just a lack of top American male player. There's nothing for them to particularly market.

It's interesting how most the forecasts for tennis in America are of doom and gloom. I mean in this article it tries to apply this as if it's a world issue, which I don't believe it really is.

You do wonder what the future of American events is. Even on the WTA where they have the women's world number one, you have events disappearing at an alarming rate. It's pretty much down to its bare bones from next year with only 4 events in the US in the build up to the US Open. A situation which isn't exactly helping them develop stars of the future.
It pisses me off how everyone is talking all doom and gloom for the the future of American's tennis, when the women's number one is American and at this point the US arguably has the most future potential of any nation with both Scone and Madison Keys, as well as some others. Who knows how they'll turn out, but both have done more than Robson, yet she's absolutely worshipped by the Brits. I don't know whether it's sexism, racism, (and I usually don't either of those arguments at all) or what, but it is very annoying. It doesn't help that the WTA is obsessing over Asia either .
iGOAT is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #3381
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGOAT View Post
It pisses me off how everyone is talking all doom and gloom for the the future of American's tennis, when the women's number one is American and at this point the US arguably has the most future potential of any nation with both Scone and Madison Keys, as well as some others. Who knows how they'll turn out, but both have done more than Robson, yet she's absolutely worshipped by the Brits. I don't know whether it's sexism, racism, (and I usually don't either of those arguments at all) or what, but it is very annoying. It doesn't help that the WTA is obsessing over Asia either .
The main doom and gloom stems from your tournaments disappearing rapidly. For whatever reason funding and backing for tournaments in the USA is disappearing. Part of the problem imo is US tournaments operate on an out of date model.

I don't really understand though when you have a USTA making 9 figures every US Open, why they don't bail out tournaments. The amount to bail out these events would be a drop in the ocean to them, and you'd think it helps them in what should be their goal of producing players for the next generation. In the UK specifically, all the tournaments are owned by the LTA, a tournament wants some extra funding they just get it from the LTA. This is why you see events getting upgraded, new events appearing in the UK.

The main reason Robson is popular in Britain is due to media coverage. She's been groomed to be the next big thing since she was 14. She's been built up as the media darling for years. I presume tennis gets far greater media coverage here than in the USA, thus more people take note. For example, during Wimbledon this year, one of our papers was going with big headlines of the organisers not helping Robson by not putting her on Centre Court.
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #3382

hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute

I hate doing group projects in school. I always feel like I'm saddled with the most incompetent, mentally unable people who should have never been allowed into university.
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #3383
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanejeanne View Post
I hate doing group projects in school. I always feel like I'm saddled with the most incompetent, mentally unable people who should have never been allowed into university.
Oh that is frustrating! In general enjoy group projects and actually wish i had more. Its more fun working with people and they force you not to procrastinate since you have to meet with them at reasonable times. It is very hard when you aren't on the same page as the others though.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #3384
country flag Exordes

Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute Exordes has a reputation beyond repute

Vote Now: The Fan Favourite Awards
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl...avorite-awards
Exordes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #3385
country flag iGOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exordes View Post
I had to vote for Lady Aga over Vika for shot of the year because hers really was the most fun even though that volley from Vika was absolutely amazing . Also, those idiots didn't put the Cincinnati final as match of the year so I was going to put the AO final but decided to put Cincy as a write-in vote instead. The US Open final will probably win .
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #3386
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Merry Christmas everyone!
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #3387
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Joe View Post
Merry Christmas everyone!
Thank you Gernot. Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the forum.
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #3388
country flag goOudinUSA
USA 2:1 Ghana

goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Merry Christmas to all!!

Bally

Tim Howard
goOudinUSA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #3389

Merry Christmas, Vikalanders! :hugs:
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #3390
country flag VIK!

VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of VIK! has much to be proud of

Merry Christmas, from stormy Germany!