Sony Open Notes March 23--New Star is Born - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #1
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute
Sony Open Notes March 23--New Star is Born

For those who don't believe the hype, you'd better start believing.

Yes, it was that easy, and that legitimate. On a packed stadium 2 court, with almost everybody in the crowd supporting her, Caroline Wozniacki had no excuses today. She was simply outplayed by Garbiñe Muguruza, the consistently deep, penetrating and powerful groundstrokes of whom kept Wozniacki bottled up and frustrated on the baseline all day. One of Garbiñe's "issues" as of late has been a tendancy to drop serve at inorpportune times in a match, breaking her runs of momentum. That didn't happen today, save for one break at 2-1 in set 2 that got things momentarily back on serve until Garbi broke again at 4-4 for the clincher. She held serve beautifully, staying composed and poised in the big moments, fighting off the few break points she faced, and taking advantage of the ones she got, despite Wozniacki's tireless counterpunching. It was an incredibly mature performance for the stylishly hard and flat hitting 19 year old, one that will surely go a long way in her development to the elite rung of the WTA.

The fellow sitting next to me was also a fan of Garbiñe, and he told me that at her practice the day before her coach had told her, in Spanish, to "play happy". Obviously, today, she did.

I have to admit I had a huge amount of fun in this match, being one of maybe three fans in the crowd actively cheering Garbiñe's name all match. Practically the entire crowd was pro-Wozniacki, and looked at me like was some kind of alien, especially when I brandished my fist in the air and yelled "Vamos Garbiñe!!!!!!!!!!" By the end of the match, though, more than a few of them had jumped on Garbi's bandwagon.

The morning started with the usual practice sightings--Sabine Lisicki was practicing with Jarka Gajdosova for their doubles, Julia Goerges was practicing on the court nearest the food court, and while grabbing a sandwich I spotted Garbiñe heading toward the grandstand to warm up for her match, so I raced off to watch her hit with "good pal" Magdelena Rybarikova in front of around a thousand people in the grandstand before the first match there, which was probably fun for them.

At 11, I went to court 2 to watch Petkovic-Tomljanovic. The story of this match was serving. Petkovic's first serve game lasted nearly 10 minutes, and though she won it, it set the tone for her day. SHe struggled on serve all day long (8 DFs I think), with several brutally long serve games where she faced multiple break points. Ajla, on the other hand, once she shook off her bagel, shifted into gear mid way through set 2 and only had one poor serve game after that, with several holds at love. That, in a nutshell, tells the story of this match. When things turned, they turned very quickly.

After Garbiñe's match against Caro, I went to watch Mirza/Mattek Sands v Birnerova/Lepchenko on court 8, followed by Muguruza/Schiavone v Pavlyuchenkova/Saferova. It's odd, but doubles is rabidly popular with a certain crowd, and getting a seat for these matches was nearly impossible. It was also cocktail hour, with a lot of loud drunks in the stands, and I felt sorry for the girls playing. Sania and Beth looked pretty good, though sluggish early, before coming on late in the first set.

After the doubles, I felt too tired to stay for anything else. It was hot, crowded, and a long and tiring day of cheering under the sun and taking lots of pictures. Happy, but exhausted.

One more day awaits.

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #2
country flag Angelus87

Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all
Re: Sony Open Notes March 23--New Star is Born

lol defeat Woz dont make her star. if she will reach QF then we can discuss
Angelus87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #3
country flag wayitis

wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute

nice report, but unfortunately her game did not translate well to the doubles match today.. I thought she was the weakest link in an entertaining match where Francesca is a show stopper and Pavs and Lucie all business.... she can only improve from here though, it will be interesting to see how fast she progresses...
wayitis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #4
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayitis View Post
nice report, but unfortunately her game did not translate well to the doubles match today.. I thought she was the weakest link in an entertaining match where Francesca is a show stopper and Pavs and Lucie all business.... she can only improve from here though, it will be interesting to see how fast she progresses...
I agree that she looked a bit lost in the doubles, but a couple of things--the team was a WC entry for Miami, and I am not sure Garbi and Fran have ever played together before this week, and Pavlychenkova and Saferova have been together for quite awhile. I didn't expect anything but a quick match, but it's good that she wants to play doubles, and if she plays regularly, it can only help supplement what is a phenomenal baseline game.

Were you at the singles match today as well?

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #5
country flag Barktra
Allez

Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute

When will your videos be uploaded?

I love your ones from previous years
Barktra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #6
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

not sure what makes Garby so good in Miami, saw her match last year at Cincinnati qualifying (vs Madison Keys), she was very inconsistent throughout the match, set to set, and did look to me quite a mediocre player
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #7
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

Here we go again, another hype. Can we give her time to win consistently plse, what kinda jinx is this?
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #8
coolfish1103

coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute

There's no need to hype her now... why jinx her
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #9
country flag Standard

Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold

It's not that people jinx - it's that she reads this forum and feel pressurized from the encouraging posts.
Standard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #10
country flag Marcoo

Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all

Yeah it may have been just i great day for Muguruza and a very bad one for Caro. Let's see how she does in the next matches and than we'll think about it
Marcoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #11
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

So let me ask how Mugurza approached the match. Did Muguruza work the points and waited for the openings? Did she go for high percentage shots, while also giving Wozniacki a chance to make errors due to her poor technique? Did she come to the net to end points? Or was it a case of short rallies, Mugurza taking huge risks and just hitting everything in? Really interested to hear. If you see that Vesnina and Petrova completely self-destructed again just last week I´m really impressed Muguruza won so easily. Curious to hear how she did it.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #12
country flag King Halep
♥ Si Si Simona Si Si Si

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

You mention the food court every time
King Halep is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #13
country flag Steff_forever
GIMME SHELTER

Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus87 View Post
lol defeat Woz dont make her star. if she will reach QF then we can discuss
a star by reaching a QF

Angelique Kerber | Ana Ivanovic | Annika Beck

forgive, you will never reach the level of my loyalty for the best that has ever played:
__Steffi forever__

Steff_forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #14
country flag Steff_forever
GIMME SHELTER

Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
So let me ask how Mugurza approached the match. Did Muguruza work the points and waited for the openings? Did she go for high percentage shots, while also giving Wozniacki a chance to make errors due to her poor technique? Did she come to the net to end points? Or was it a case of short rallies, Mugurza taking huge risks and just hitting everything in? Really interested to hear. If you see that Vesnina and Petrova completely self-destructed again just last week I´m really impressed Muguruza won so easily. Curious to hear how she did it.
this

Angelique Kerber | Ana Ivanovic | Annika Beck

forgive, you will never reach the level of my loyalty for the best that has ever played:
__Steffi forever__

Steff_forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #15
country flag tennismaster8820
Sprem believer! :shrug:

tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravanecaravan View Post
At 11, I went to court 2 to watch Petkovic-Tomljanovic. The story of this match was serving. Petkovic's first serve game lasted nearly 10 minutes, and though she won it, it set the tone for her day. SHe struggled on serve all day long (8 DFs I think), with several brutally long serve games where she faced multiple break points. Ajla, on the other hand, once she shook off her bagel, shifted into gear mid way through set 2 and only had one poor serve game after that, with several holds at love. That, in a nutshell, tells the story of this match. When things turned, they turned very quickly.
I guess you didn't watch complete match.
It was one of the most bizzare matches I have ever followed on scoreboard with huge momentum shifts in every game, no rhyme or reason.
All the score changes which happened in that match and especially in third set are hard to explain.
tennismaster8820 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote