Day 2 of Quallies! Report inside - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #1
lindsay_lee

lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice
Day 2 of Quallies! Report inside

Hi guys, I finally found some internet coverage at a net cafe. To cut a long story short, my cousin phoned me from Canberra on Thursday nite and asked me if I wanted to go over for a few days to watch the tourney. So, I arrived this morning and spent most of the day at the qualifying. Here's a sample of the matches I saw.
Martinez Granados d Ondraskova:
I almost freaked out when I saw the name C Martinez on the scoreboard, before realizing it was the other girl. Conchita played a very solid match, her game is very much suited for a clay court. Her one handed slice backhand is a terrific shot, it bounces very high and deep, this shot was giving the Czech girl nightmares! Conchita tended to stay in the backcourt most of the match, mixing her game up with slice and spin. Ondra hits with lots of pace, but she often went for the wrong shot at the wrong time. Serna was in the stands for this match.
Weingartner d Lauren
This match was of V. good quality! Marlene has got a very interesting game, she can mix it up. Marlene raced to a 4-0 lead, but really didn't have to do too much, as Lauren was missing the corners. Suddenly, Marlene was playing the percentages more, and moved her opponent around, and ended up winning 6-1 and then raced to a 5-0 lead! Marlene at this point played very intelligently, she mixed up the pace and came to net at very apt times. At 5-0, when serving for it, her game really went awry. She started to rush, and Lauren also did well making her hit an extra stroke each time. She ended up winning 6-1 and looked very pleased.
Camerin D Webb: This was match of sharp contrasts. Webb is very much a net attacking serve volleyer, she came to net at every oportunity. The longer the rallies became, the more likely the graceful Italian was likely to win the point. Elena is very much a baseline retriever, but she often hit great passing shots on the run. Webb often overhit her volleys, and her 1st service percentage was only 45% or so which made the job difficult. To her credit, she continued coming in even on 2nd serves, but often her approach shots were too short and Elena just had to hit it past her or hit a deft lob over her head. Match-point was the best point of the day. It was a something-like 26 stroke rally, Webb decided to engage in a baseline duel, instead of coming in. Elena tihs time ended the raly by hitting a dropshot which really was too high. Webb managed to get to it, but ended the raly by dunking it into the net. This was an entertaining display. My cousin and I are fluent in Italian, having studied it, and yelled out to Elena "Ha giocato proprio bene" [You played very well] She smiled shyly and waved.
We caught 3 other matches but I'll have to post the report later as our bus is going to arrive very soon.

Last edited by lindsay_lee : Jan 4th, 2003 at 11:24 AM.
lindsay_lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #2
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
thanx for the report
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2003, 11:03 AM   #3
country flag ghosts
Team WTAworld

ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute
Results?

My #1 in tennis
>> Tsvetana Pironkova <<

ghosts is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #4
lindsay_lee

lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice lindsay_lee is just really nice
Ok, here are the other matches.
Flavia D her Ukranian opponent in str8 sets: Flavia is really pretty, she has a very nice game too, plays a lot like Natalia Baudone! She tends to be a bit of a counter-puncher and hits with both hands, and never concedes a point. She likes pace and also likes to hit her forehand on-the-run. Her opponent, I think Yulia is her name, is an aggressive baseliner, but she lacked patience. She also became very frustrated, and the more nagry she got, the more she overhit. I noticed Garbin watching in the stands, cheering on Flavia. Tathiana is a pretty girl, she wore these raunchy hipsters and tanktop, my cousin told me to stop drooling!
Then McQuillan who was knocked out in rnd 1 of quallies, played an exhibition match against Bryanne Stewart, who has been given a WC into the event. The thing is that Rachel dominated this match, winning 6-2 6-4. She played well, mixing it up from the baseline and coming in when she had the right shot. A pity Rachel lost in the quallies, she played well in this. At the end, my friend got both girl's autographs and asked Rachel if she would be staying in Canberra. Rachel said "Definitely, Lisa and I are going to win the doubles".
Well guys I'm planning to go everyday so I'll try post reoprts after each session.
lindsay_lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2003, 03:03 PM   #5
country flag King Aaron
Team WTAworld
Mr. Try Too Hard

King Aaron has disabled reputation
Thanks for the report
Old Jan 4th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #6
country flag LucasArg

LucasArg has a reputation beyond repute LucasArg has a reputation beyond repute LucasArg has a reputation beyond repute LucasArg has a reputation beyond repute LucasArg has a reputation beyond repute LucasArg has a reputation beyond repute LucasArg has a reputation beyond repute LucasArg has a reputation beyond repute LucasArg has a reputation beyond repute LucasArg has a reputation beyond repute LucasArg has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks
LucasArg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #7
country flag rated_next

rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute
did you watch anything of Tatiana Poutchek?

thanks for the reports
rated_next is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote