Miami 2013: Hometown Glory? - Page 35 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 11:31 AM   #511
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Miami 2013: Hometown Glory?

Well, I was pretty indifferent to women's tennis for years (sorta still am beyond sharapova ). She was always that loudmouth blonde to me, almost indistinguishable from the fair haired tennis chicks who date Latino male pop stars. All the talk about her returning from injury got me to sit down and actually watch a complete match of hers. It was early 2011, and I can't even recall what tournament it was. I know it wasn't a slam. Damn, did she look like a hot mess. DFs left and right. Missed BHs. I also think her ensemble wasn't very flattering. Throughout all this she kept a stone face, and her screech remained persistent. She of course loss that match. But she gained a fan. Her fight was evident as hell. And I had a feeling she would improve. I know these things.
Advertisement

Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 11:46 AM   #512
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Reading the last few pages of this thread has made me so depressed - so glad I didn't know about TF back then.

But it makes her recent success all the sweeter - who would have ever thought that peak Maria, let alone the Maria of 2010-2011 could win the French Open and complete her career slam? Could return to Number 1, and be a consistent figure in the top 3 again?

She took all the bad results and the mockery that came with them, kept working hard and kept fighting, and like others have said, that's why I'm her fan.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 11:51 AM   #513
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky80 View Post
Her fight was evident as hell.
That's the reason why I became a fan as well. It's not her game persé. It's definitely not the grunting which I in fact don't like. It's not even her good looks, although she's obviously a beautiful woman. No, it's her intensity, her 'over my death body' attitude, her love for the game and how badly she wants it that made me root for her.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 12:43 PM   #514
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreiter View Post
^ yeah, really happy I only discovered TF in 2012 so I was able to avoid the Hell that must have been 2010-mid 2011 . But thankfully those days seem to be long gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Let's put it this way: things were so grim this time 2 years ago that a scrappy 3-set win over Petkovic (then still ranked outside the top 20) in a Miami semifinal was cause for rampant celebration.
Reading all this I'm at the same time glad and sad I didn't use to watch so many tennis until Rome 2011... I never watched anything but slams (and missed A LOT of them) until then, even if I've always liked Maria since 2004. I bet I could have needed a lot of TF support during those years 2009-10-11 -- and that's what happened after USO11 when I found this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky80 View Post
She of course loss that match. But she gained a fan. Her fight was evident as hell. And I had a feeling she would improve. I know these things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
That's the reason why I became a fan as well. It's not her game persé. It's definitely not the grunting which I in fact don't like. It's not even her good looks, although she's obviously a beautiful woman. No, it's her intensity, her 'over my death body' attitude, her love for the game and how badly she wants it that made me root for her.
So true in every word.
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 02:48 PM   #515
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Nice start, Maria. Bouchard had zero chance !

Shocked Head To Head vs Vesnina is 1 - 1. Time for revenge, Maria

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 02:56 PM   #516
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post
Nice start, Maria. Bouchard had zero chance !

Shocked Head To Head vs Vesnina is 1 - 1. Time for revenge, Maria
I know, Maria needs to snatch some wigs from her dark days of 2010-early 2011 ...too bad the only player somewhat relevant from that time is Kimiko
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 03:18 PM   #517
country flag Abuttons

Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold

Maria did the type of job that she was supposed to do with Genie. A no-nonsense match and a good victory. Perhaps too premature to say, but she seems to carry the good momentum from IW. Let's she how she will deal with Vesnina. Go Maria!
Abuttons is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 03:35 PM   #518
country flag JamieOwen3

JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute

Elena's sweet and one of her fellow Russians who has been friendly with her for years but I still need a good snatching against her Maria.

Maria Sharapova Venus & Serena Martina Hingis Anna Kournikova Monica Seles Ana Ivanovic Victoria Azarenka Jelena Dokic Laura Robson Eugenie Bouchard Heather Watson Elena Baltacha R.I.P Petra Kvitova Donna Vekic

Official Siberian Death Stare Of The Maria Mafia
Andy Murray 2013 Wimbledon Champion. @TheGrandSlams
JamieOwen3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 04:53 PM   #519
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

It would be fun to see Maria play the 3 Russians in a row this tournament. Kind of reminder of that period when Russian players were the talk of the WTA when you had Maria, Kuznetsova, Dementieva, Petrova, Myskina, Vesnina, Safina, Zvonareva, and Chakvetadze all making names for themselves. And then you had the added cattiness, resentment, and jealously directed towards Maria by some of her compatriots that enhanced the rivalries. Good times.

If I'm not mistaken, Myskina is the only Russian that Maria has a losing record against. I always hated when Maria had to play her.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:04 PM   #520
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Myskina is the only Russian that Maria has a losing record against. I always hated when Maria had to play her.
Maria has a head to head record of 1:1 with Myskina.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:11 PM   #521
country flag MashaFan01

MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of MashaFan01 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Do you remember how your parents didn't like your music? - Always to loud for them - Always demanding that you would turn down the volume when you were practicing air guitar in your room
Well - It's kind of the same with Masha's shrieks - It's music and many people don't understand this music - You've to listen to it often to start to like it - Masha's shrieks are unlike any other player - If you close your eyes and just listen then she tells you the story of the match - You can hear when she's in a rally - or when she's in distress like maybe forced to run from side to side - when she's to run for a stop ball - you can hear when she is desperate and nothing works for her and she's fighting to survive - you can hear when she hits a winner and is sure that she has found the lines - Masha's shrieks are very expressive and not at all as monotonous as for example Azarenka's shrieks or Serena's threatening shrieks she only uses to intimidate - Find some matches of Masha on Youtube and just listen carefully to Masha's story while she's playing - it will gave you an extra dimension to what you see

Last edited by MashaFan01 : Mar 23rd, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
MashaFan01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:15 PM   #522
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
Maria played really well in the 2nd set at 2012 Beijing, her ground strokes were outstanding. She followed it up in the next match by beating Kerber 6-0 3-0 before Kerber retired.
NO. Messy match from both.

Quote:
She followed it up in the next match by beating Kerber 6-0 3-0 before Kerber retired.
NO. QF against Kerber first followed by SF against Li

Quote:
Maria has a head to head record of 1:1 with Myskina.
NO. Myskina 3-2 Sharapova

NO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
Can't grab a Slam, grab cash then
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:21 PM   #523
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeMashabator View Post

NO. QF against Kerber first followed by SF against Li

NO. Myskina 3-2 Sharapova

NO
Yes, you're right on these two.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 06:19 PM   #524
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

Remember those day when 3, 4 russian in top 10 and now it's only maria for a long time
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#42
PAW Rank:#107
FITD Rank:#188.
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 06:51 PM   #525
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashaFan01 View Post
Do you remember how your parents didn't like your music? - Always to loud for them - Always demanding that you would turn down the volume when you were practicing air guitar in your room
Well - It's kind of the same with Masha's shrieks - It's music and many people don't understand this music - You've to listen to it often to start to like it - Masha's shrieks are unlike any other player - If you close your eyes and just listen then she tells you the story of the match - You can hear when she's in a rally - or when she's in distress like maybe forced to run from side to side - when she's to run for a stop ball - you can hear when she is desperate and nothing works for her and she's fighting to survive - you can hear when she hits a winner and is sure that she has found the lines - Masha's shrieks are very expressive and not at all as monotonous as for example Azarenka's shrieks or Serena's threatening shrieks she only uses to intimidate - Find some matches of Masha on Youtube and just listen carefully to Masha's story while she's playing - it will gave you an extra dimension to what you see
Strange, but oddly beautiful, description