New Pope Francis! - Page 15 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: New pope name?

John 0 0%
Benedict 0 0%
Gregory 2 5.56%
Nicholas 2 5.56%
Innocent 7 19.44%
Leo 3 8.33%
Pius 4 11.11%
Boniface 3 8.33%
Eugene 0 0%
Other 18 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 19th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #211
country flag Edward.

Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Pope Francis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
Bolded part I had no idea. All the more so as in Portugal Catholics seem to be very much in line with the Catholic hierarchy's rules regarding moral and family issues. What the Portuguese Catholics seem to wish for is to be allowed more of a say in the way the Church as an institution is run, and/or for it to allow for a more personal, and less formal/institutional, religious experience.

The Catholic Church in Portugal nowadays is an old fashioned social network for the upper middle classes more than anything else - starting with the escuteiros (a Boy Scout organization ran by the Catholic Church; there's an older, non-Catholic Boy Scout group named escoteiros which remains in the shadow of its much larger Catholic counterpart) and then with youth debating groups in every parish, supposedly for prayer and biblical discussion, but whose main purpose is for teenagers to find future husbands/wives among proper fellow Catholics.
Yes indeed. The most famous example being Vice President Joe Biden...a Catholic who supports gay marriage (and was at the Papal inauguration today incidentally).

The Portuguese system does sound quite similar to over here in the UK. I went to a very conservative Roman Catholic high school and secondary school and social interaction was always encouraged. Participation in the boy scouts was encouraged (and I was a member for a while). The Confirmation process was a very long, drawn out affair, going on for several months, with meetings and social events held in meeting halls next to the Church, involving not just students from my own school, but students from nearby Catholic schools too. I never understood the rigmarole and why they couldn't just hurry up and get us confirmed quickly in the Church.

In the end I never completed the Confirmation classes...I was sick of the whole business, especially as it took part in the evenings before school the next day, so I just stopped going and was never confirmed in the end.

I've been a wayward Catholic ever since.

Official Wiseguy of the Maria Mafia.
1305 ..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Edward. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 20th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #212
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward. View Post
The Portuguese system does sound quite similar to over here in the UK. I went to a very conservative Roman Catholic high school and secondary school and social interaction was always encouraged. Participation in the boy scouts was encouraged (and I was a member for a while). The Confirmation process was a very long, drawn out affair, going on for several months, with meetings and social events held in meeting halls next to the Church, involving not just students from my own school, but students from nearby Catholic schools too. I never understood the rigmarole and why they couldn't just hurry up and get us confirmed quickly in the Church.
People I talked to went beyond confirmation (called crisma here). When they were 16-18 y.o., they attended some rather Spartan retiros (lit. "retreats"), usually held in dark, dank, clammy seminars at old monasteries, featuring absurdly early rises, 6-8 people in each (small) dorm room, communal showers without hot water, endless sermons well into the evening, thunderous scolding against the slightest attempt at levity, and infrequent, meager meals.

I suppose the priests used all those horrors to scare away prospective candidates to the priesthood that were short on the required levels of commitment and self-sacrifice.

BTW the first communion is a very big deal socially in Portugal. I remember attending several when I was a kid (those were my cousins' first communions) and, oddly, I wasn't jealous of all that pomp and of being the center of attentions. I was lazy even as a kid and all I could think was "What a hassle this must be. Good thing I don't have to go through all of this unless I want to." (which was what my parents told me when I asked if I had to do my own first communion)

Eu Jogo Ténis

Prokofiev + Son Goku = pwnage

Last edited by Corswandt : Mar 20th, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #213
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

I wore a DKNY jacket for my confirmation, was really nice probably my first designer clothing item.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #214
country flag Edward.

Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
People I talked to went beyond confirmation (called crisma here). When they were 16-18 y.o., they attended some rather Spartan retiros (lit. "retreats"), usually held in dark, dank, clammy seminars at old monasteries, featuring absurdly early rises, 6-8 people in each (small) dorm room, communal showers without hot water, endless sermons well into the evening, thunderous scolding against the slightest attempt at levity, and infrequent, meager meals.

I suppose the priests used all those horrors to scare away prospective candidates to the priesthood that were short on the required levels of commitment and self-sacrifice.

BTW the first communion is a very big deal socially in Portugal. I remember attending several when I was a kid (those were my cousins' first communions) and, oddly, I wasn't jealous of all that pomp and of being the center of attentions. I was lazy even as a kid and all I could think was "What a hassle this must be. Good thing I don't have to go through all of this unless I want to." (which was what my parents told me when I asked if I had to do my own first communion)
Oh god, don't even talk about my Holy Communion, what a day that was!

I was supposed to it with the rest of my class, in a big ceremony in the church. Unlucky for me, I was away on holiday at the time, so when I returned I had to do it alone, in the church, surrounded by all the regular churchgoers. I had to go up there, on my own, and receive communion from the priest. I was folding my hands wrong and he had to show me how to fold them probably, all in front of a huge crowd of churchgoers!

After this, we were lounging around outside when our priest came along and started talking to us. After a while, we had someone managed to talk him into joining us for dinner. So we went along to the restaurant, with Father Jim in tow, and had a big meal. Think Father Jim had a little too many glasses of wine because he seemed rather worse for wear at the end from what I can recall.

So yeah...my Holy Communion was a little more interesting and unique than anyone elses in my class.

Old Mar 21st, 2013, 12:04 AM   #215
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward. View Post
Oh god, don't even talk about my Holy Communion, what a day that was!

I was supposed to it with the rest of my class, in a big ceremony in the church. Unlucky for me, I was away on holiday at the time, so when I returned I had to do it alone, in the church, surrounded by all the regular churchgoers. I had to go up there, on my own, and receive communion from the priest. I was folding my hands wrong and he had to show me how to fold them probably, all in front of a huge crowd of churchgoers!

After this, we were lounging around outside when our priest came along and started talking to us. After a while, we had someone managed to talk him into joining us for dinner. So we went along to the restaurant, with Father Jim in tow, and had a big meal. Think Father Jim had a little too many glasses of wine because he seemed rather worse for wear at the end from what I can recall.

So yeah...my Holy Communion was a little more interesting and unique than anyone elses in my class.

deliberate?
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 12:14 AM   #216
country flag $uricate

$uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
I wore a DKNY jacket for my confirmation, was really nice probably my first designer clothing item.
And they let you in with that?

Couldn't they detect your orientation?

PopCon 2013.
$uricate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #217
country flag Barrie_Dude

Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
They went the wrong way. Gay-hating, anti-woman far-right kook. It's really hard to believe anyone is a practicing Catholic anymore.
By Vatican standards, this is left leaning and it is almost reveloutionary in that he is from the Americas. Granted, the church is a couple of centuries and about a million miles behind, but it is a step in the correct direction

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #218
country flag Edward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild.river View Post

deliberate?
Hell nah! You really think I wanted to do Holy Communion on my own? I still remember it clearly, and I'm still full of shame at the embarrassment I felt when I couldn't fold my hands properly.