New Pope Francis! - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: New pope name?

John 0 0%
Benedict 0 0%
Gregory 2 5.56%
Nicholas 2 5.56%
Innocent 7 19.44%
Leo 3 8.33%
Pius 4 11.11%
Boniface 3 8.33%
Eugene 0 0%
Other 18 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 14th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #151
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Pope Francis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Feet Under View Post
I love the name anastasius
anastasius or celestine would've been pretty sweet
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 14th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #152
country flag AleOrtu

AleOrtu has a reputation beyond repute AleOrtu has a reputation beyond repute AleOrtu has a reputation beyond repute AleOrtu has a reputation beyond repute AleOrtu has a reputation beyond repute AleOrtu has a reputation beyond repute AleOrtu has a reputation beyond repute AleOrtu has a reputation beyond repute AleOrtu has a reputation beyond repute AleOrtu has a reputation beyond repute AleOrtu has a reputation beyond repute

We are proud of him
he is a humble man, travels in metro and bus, says masses to the poor in their places, he is wise and noble.

-------------
OMG they are already selling Pope Francisco I merchandising in internet!
The T-shirts were sold at Arg$ 50 (USD 10) two hours after the announcement, but now the price is $ 150 (USD 30).
They also sell Pope mugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg papa1.jpg (22.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg papa2.jpg (23.9 KB, 1 views)

Eleni Daniilidou - Iveta Benesova - Melanie Klaffner - Gisela Dulko - Daniela Hantuchova - Jelena Dokic - Karolina Sprem -

Akenatón rules, Horemheb sucks
Member #5452 Making Your Life Better Since 2002
AleOrtu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #153
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Pope named after Francis of Assisi heralded by gull atop Sistine chimney

The dove has traditionally represented the Holy Spirit but it was a bird with a rather less divine reputation that heralded the name of the new pope. As the crowds massed in front of the Vatican, a seagull alighted on the chimney from which smoke billows to indicate the outcome of the papal ballot in the Sistine Chapel below.
The newly appointed pontiff, the Argentinian cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, will take the name of Pope Francis, after Francis of Assisi, the much-loved Italian patron saint of animals and the environment who is often portrayed with a bird, usually in his hand.
"The name the new pope chooses tells a lot about the thrust of his papacy," said Ambrogio Piazzoni, a church historian and vice-prefect of the Vatican library.
The best known tale about Saint Francis's love of nature is recounted in the Fioretti (Little Flowers), a collection of legends and folklore. The story says that while he was travelling with some companions, they came upon a place in the road where birds filled the trees. Francis told his companions to wait for him while he preached to his sisters the birds, which flocked to him – supposedly attracted by the power of his voice.
The saint, a rich young man from the town of Assisi in Umbria who renounced wealth and founded the Franciscan order of friars in 1290, is also identified with peace, poverty and a simple lifestyle, which is in keeping with the current period of recession and austerity.
The choice could foretell the pope's priorities in striving to bring a sense of serenity to the troubled church. Francis is said to have been called by God to repair a church in ruins.
Choosing the name of one of Italy's patron saints also ties the new pope to Italy, the homeland of all popes for 450 years until 1978.
Bergoglio is Pope Francis I. The last pontiff to take a new name rather than one that honours a predecessor was Pope John Paul I, 35 years ago.
The previous pope Benedict XVI said he had chosen the name in order to follow the example of the early 20th-century Pope Benedict XV, who led the church through the first world war and its aftermath.
When he became pope in 1978, Karol Wojtyla chose to keep the name of his immediate predecessor, John Paul I, in deference to the earlier pope's short-lived papacy.
John Paul II had also reportedly considered Stanislaw, in homage to the patron saint of his native Poland.
Until the first millennium, popes were called by their first names. The exception was the sixth-century pope John II, who decided his actual name, Roman Mercurius, was unsuitable with its association to a pagan deity.
Giuseppe Roncalli, who succeeded him almost a millennium and a half later, opted to become John XXIII because the church in which he was baptised in the small town of Sotto il Monte in northern Italy bore the name of John the Baptist.
Over the 2,000 year history of the church the most popular name is John followed by Gregory, and Benedict.
One name remains a definite no go because it lies beyond the boundaries of spiritual and temporal modesty, Peter II.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...eagull-sistine

Beautiful gull.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #154
country flag Kim's_fan_4ever
The only girl in the world.

Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZA SARITA View Post
Tomek call me Franek so i guess this is his name in polish
It's an abbreviation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild.river View Post
accumulated through other posters and online research:

italian- francesco
german- franziskus
polish- franciszka
spanish/portugese- francisco
croatian- franjo
dutch- franciscus
That's female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catriel View Post
We are proud of him
he is a humble man, travels in metro and bus, says masses to the poor in their places, he is wise and noble.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #155
country flag Keadz

Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute

A man who has faced criminal proceedings in Argentina for crimes associated with the junta including the conspiracy to kidnap rival jesuit priests in 1976 for preaching liberation theology in his area!
He also hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commision

Actively prevents different beliefs
Supported the Argentinian Junta.
Accessory to murder and false imprisonment
Hides from human rights commisions after commiting said crimes

Think this beats the Nazi guy.

Quote:
The Sins of the Argentine Church (2011 article)

What one did not hear from any senior member of the Argentine hierarchy was any expression of regret for the church's collaboration and in these crimes. The extent of the church's complicity in the dark deeds was excellently set out by Horacio Verbitsky, one of Argentina's most notable journalists, in his book El Silencio (Silence). He recounts how the Argentine navy with the connivance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now the Jesuit archbishop of Buenos Aires, hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission the dictatorship's political prisoners. Bergoglio was hiding them in nothing less than his holiday home in an island called El Silencio in the River Plate. The most shaming thing for the church is that in such circumstances Bergoglio's name was allowed to go forward in the ballot to chose the successor of John Paul II. What scandal would not have ensued if the first pope ever to be elected from the continent of America had been revealed as an accessory to murder and false imprisonment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...lio-repentance
Keep it up Catholic Church, another inspired choice.

DATE-KRUMM ERAKOVIC KUZNETSOVA BARTY SANDERS

ROGOWSKA ZAKOPALOVA PIRONKOVA JANKOVIC DELLACQUA
Keadz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #156
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

First Pope not born in Europe in more than a thousand years (since Gregory III who was born in Syria). Perhaps a symbolic move, perhaps a strategic move towards the new centres of Christianity.

It's so interesting that a thousand years ago, the Great Schism had not even occurred and there was but only one Christianity with a stronghold in European Christendom.

How weird and funny the passage of time.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #157
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm about as likely to take spiritual (or any other) advice from a 76 year old celibate who wears frocks and lives in a bubble as I am from an inmate in Broadmoor.
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #158
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which name should the new Pope choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.P View Post
when will he come out
I can think of numerous jokes off the top of my head!
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #159
country flag Mynarco
Thank You For The Music

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
Arabic: فرانشيسكو (Frānsheskū)
Aragonese: Francho
Armenian: Ֆրանծիսկոս (Franciskos)
Albanian: Françesku
Alemannic German: Franz
Basque: Frantzisko
Bulgarian: Франциск (Frantsisk)
Belarusian: Francišak, Францішак (Frantsishak)
Breton: Frañsez, Fañch, Fañchig, Soaig, Saig
Catalan: Francesc, Cesc, Cesco,
Chinese: 弗朗西斯科 (Fú lǎng xī sī kē)
Corsican: Francescu
Croatian: Franjo, Frano, Frane, Fran
Czech: František,
Dutch: Frans, Frank, Francis
Esperanto: Francisko
Estonian: Franciscus
Finnish: Frans, Fransiscus
French: François, Francis, Francisque
German: Franziskus
Greek: Frankiskos (Φραγκίσκος)
Hungarian: Ferenc
Icelandic: Frans
Indonesian: Fransiskus
Irish: Proinsias
Italian: Francesco, Franco,
Japanese: フランシス (Furanshisu)
Korean: 프랜시스 (Peuraensiseu)
Latin: Franciscus
Latvian: Francisks
Lithuanian: Francas, Pranciškus (historical)
Lombard: Francesch
Maltese: Franġisk
Neapolitan: Franciscu
Norman: Françouais
Norwegian: Frans, Franciskus
Occitan: Francés
Piedmontese: Fransesch
Polish: Franciszek
Portuguese: Francisco
Romanian: Francisc
Russian: Франческо (Franchesko), Франциск (Frantsisk), Франц (Frants)
Samogitian: Prancėškos
Scottish Gaelic: Frangag
Serbian: Franja, Franc,
Sicilian: Franciscu
Slovak: František
Slovene: Frančišek, Franček, France, Franci, Franc, Fran, Franko
Spanish: Francisco
Swahili: Fransisko
Swedish: Franciskus
Turkish: Fransız, Fransuva
Venetian: Francesco
Vietnamese: Phanxicô
Welsh: Ffransis
West Frisian: Fransiskus
Ukrainian: Франциск (Frantsisk)
Not exactly correct in Chinese. We call him 方濟(各)
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 ; Beijing 11 ; Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 (w/Drake1980) ; Auckland+Copenhagen 10 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 11 (w/Richie's) ; Stuttgart+Baku 12 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 (w/Frederik)

Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #160
country flag Stamp Paid
Sir Camaraderie

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which name should the new Pope choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.P View Post
when will he come out

██████████████████ʘ
Ashe. Gibson. Williams. Williams.
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #161
country flag $uricate

$uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
First Pope not born in Europe in more than a thousand years (since Gregory III who was born in Syria). Perhaps a symbolic move, perhaps a strategic move towards the new centres of Christianity.
Like the WTA the Catholic Church has to tap those expanding markets.

You got to go where the money is.

This is a good PR move.

PopCon 2013.
$uricate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #162
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim's_fan_4ever View Post
That's female

it is??

but i googled a polish newspaper!

Pierwsze słowa nowego papieża Franciszka

http://www.fakt.pl/Pierwsze-slowa-no...,203850,1.html

Old Mar 14th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #163
country flag Kim's_fan_4ever
The only girl in the world.

Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild.river View Post
it is??

but i googled a polish newspaper!

Pierwsze słowa nowego papieża Franciszka

http://www.fakt.pl/Pierwsze-slowa-no...,203850,1.html

In this sentence "Franciszka" means that these were his words. Basically, we get different forms of words depending on what we want to say. I think it's called cases in English, right? We have 7 of them
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #164
country flag wild.river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim's_fan_4ever View Post

In this sentence "Franciszka" means that these were his words. Basically, we get different forms of words depending on what we want to say. I think it's called cases in English, right? We have 7 of them
so "words" is feminine in polish?
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #165
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xepher View Post
Not exactly correct in Chinese. We call him 方濟(各)
You mean in Cantonese?

I see it sounds correct and most appropriate in Chinese.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote