1986 - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 19th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #121
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1986

HEAD UMPIRES JUST HAVE TO BE PERFECT IT ALL COMES DOWN TO SHARP EYES FOLLOWING - THE BOUNCING BALL
THE ORLANDO SENTINEL
Sunday, February 23, 1986
Melissa Isaacson

Someone ought to check to see if Lee Majors has an exit clause in his Fall Guy contract.

The Bionic Man is about the only guy I can think of who is perfectly qualified to sit in the head umpire's chair.

Friday, in the men's semifinals of the Lipton International Players Championships, Jimmy Connors threw one fit too many and ended up throwing the match.

He complained, among other things, about the umpire's judgment. Connors wasn't alone, several players already had complained about other umpires and linesmen.

Michael Davies, executive director for the Men's International Players Tennis Council, looked perplexed and said the council was discussing the prospect of hiring more full-time professional umpires. There are two now.

It all comes down to this: The best official is the one who can best see a tennis ball traveling at 100-plus miles per hour.

That's it.

We're not talking a lot of rule interpretation here, such as what constitutes an offensive foul in basketball or holding in football.

A good tennis linesman must make accurate visual judgments. Impossibly accurate, foolproof judgments. A competent chair umpire takes control of the match by hoping his linesmen have good eyes.

He also must know when a call is terrible enough or crucial enough to overrule a linesmen, but there's a good chance that rule won't last much longer.

If he does that, most likely, he doesn't have to worry about the whining of John McEnroe or the bullying of Jimmy Connors.

Oh yeah, he has got to know how long to wait before awarding penalty points for stalling or what to do in the case of ball abuse. And, as in all sports, the good officials must be consistent.

But as far as distinguishing whether a small round ball has hit a thin white line or bounced next to it, practice will improve that only so much.

Sounds pretty easy, doesn't it?

Connors has a weird relationship with tennis fans.

After his quarterfinal match against Yannick Noah, Connors was asked how he felt about fans egging him on during a match.

''That's what makes it interesting,'' he said. ''Just expect to take it back. Don't be a wimp about it like 95 percent of them are.''

Then there was this touching exchange at the end of Connors' post-default press conference, Friday.

Jimmy (shouting): ''Players are the last to know about everything!''

Fans outside the interview tent: ''Yeah, you tell 'em, Jimmy.''

Jimmy: ''I paid them five bucks each for that.''

Ivan Lendl on the fans' behavior after Connors' default in their semifinal Friday: ''It's the same whole unfortunate story. With Connors and McEnroe and those guys, half the fans come and want to see tennis, and half want to see them fight the crowd, the umpires and everyone else.

''But I can't imagine McEnroe doing the same thing Connors did and have the crowd cheering for him as he walked off the court.''

Despite the incident, Connors will be invited to return for the tournament next year, tournament director Butch Buchholz said. ''I'm not going to turn Jimmy Connors down,'' he said.

Pam Shriver on the doubles-playing ability of young American players on the women's circuit: ''American girls don't know what they're doing. They don't know what to do strategy-wise, and they can't volley well.''

That probably explains why she chose Czech Helena Sukova as a replacement for Martina Navratilova at Lipton.

Shriver on the reaction to her two-part diary of the women's tour in Sports Illustrated: ''Maybe a couple of players objected to a few things, but basically it was all pretty harmless. Anyway, a lot of times, it was just my sense of humor. If I say someone is 'wacko,' I don't mean anything by it.''

Shriver's first book, a yearlong diary written with SI's Frank Deford, will be out around U.S. Open time, late August or early September.
Ms. Anthropic is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 19th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #122

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

The part in here about how much cell phones used to cost is a hoot. And remember that $2000 back in 1986 was even "more" money than it is now.

OFF-COURT ACTION JUST AS LIVELY FOR FANS
Sun-Sentinel
Neil Santaniello, Staff Writer

As many as 450 members of the press, including reporters and photographers from a half-dozen countries, stalked their quarry on and off the main court at the Lipton International Players Championship tennis tournament Saturday.

Armed with a Nikon camera, Gary Sion, too, stalked tennis stars and others during the afternoon match between Chris Evert-Lloyd and Steffi Graf on the grounds of the Boca West Development, which hosted the tournament.

But he did not have to meet a daily deadline.

The high school student snapped several pictures for a photo essay he had to submit for a journalism class.

The idea for the class project was his and stemmed from his passion for tennis, the 15-year-old said.

"I got Chrissie and Stef coming in," the Sunrise youth said, smiling broadly. "I said `Hi,` they looked up and I got their pictures. I also came here to capture the action and atmosphere."

Others at the tournament also sought a piece of action Saturday, but not the kind that transpires on the court.

During the Lloyd-Graf duel, merchants in booths outside the grand stand hawked cellular telephones, autographed glass etchings of players, cruises on ships and hair and skin conditioner.

The man selling the telephones, Everett Wilson, said the tournament is a prime place to market the line of phones priced from $1,300 to $2,600.

"The clients here are more affluent and successful than I find at a golf match," he said. He said jet setters like stock brokers and businessmen who attend such tournaments are big customers.

He said he sold six phones since the tournament began, including one to Boris Becker`s manager, and plans to sell more.

Concession stands also tried to make a profit. They offered a variety of food that went beyond the typical frank-and-a-beer ballpark offering.

A hamburger stand dishing out charcoal-broiled burgers with all the fixings stood beside a New York-style deli touting bagel and lox, smoke ham and brie and crabmeat and seafood sandwiches.

VIP tents and others labled "Private" served up more sumptuous offerings amid a setting of white tablecloths and potted plants.

"The food is quite good, better than last year`s," said Carol Lunceford, a tournament staff supervisor.

The afternoon`s heat -- temperatures hit the mid-80s -- drove many spectators to seek cover.

Maurice and Marcie Semensohn, New Yorkers in town visiting their three grandchildren in Coral Springs, came to Boca West to catch the Lloyd-Graf match but retreated from their seats to a patio table umbrella outside the grandstand where they sipped ice water.

"I can`t take the heat," said Marcie Semensohn, who left behind 30-degree temperatures in the Big Apple. "I thought we would just take cover."

She said she enjoyed what she had seen of the tournament, and added, "I don`t blame (Jimmy) Connors," refering to the tennis star`s display of anger and subsequent withdrawal from the tournment Friday to protest a referee`s call that went against him.,

Maurice Semensohn said the staging of the tourment created its only short- coming.

"I don`t think Boca West is equipped to handle a tournament of this scale," he said.

Buses and trolleys ferried people back and forth from the stadium to parking lots to reduce traffic congestion inside the sprawling residential complex.

Three paramedics stationed at a white medical tent just outside the players` entrance said they did not treat any cases of sunstroke or heat-induced fainting spells.

"We`ve only had one person come in and lay down briefly," said Chuck Gardener, who manned a Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue golf cart painted fire- truck red and equipped with advanced life support systems.

He said players rarely came to paramedics if hurt while playing a set.

"When you got the amount of money they do invested in your arms and legs, you won`t let just anyone touch them," he said.

High heels, however, had been posing a problem on the wood-chip grounds surrounding the main tennis stadium, said another paramedic, Terry Adkins. The soft turf caused a number of falls, though nothing serious, he said.

Pat Osborne, a first-time tennis tournament usher at one of the gates, said she volunteered for the job to do some people-watching and a little star- watching because she had never worked at a major tennis tournment before.

"It`s fun; the whole atmosphere is fun. You get to meet players," said Osborne, who resides in a condominium complex nearby and who put in 80 hours of her own time directing people to their seats in the 13,000-capacity stadium.

Another usher, Judy Frampton, said the job had certain incentives.

"I met a lot of cute guys," the young woman said, laughing. One drawback she noted: Dealing with verbal abuse.

She said that despite the tournment`s setting at the exclusive Boca West development, she had concluded most spectators were not particularly well- heeled or jet-setting.

Rather, "They are just regular shleps like us," she said.

Both ushers were among 400 volunteers who pledged their time to help the tournament in its second year (Lavers International Resort in Delray Beach hosted it the first year) run smoothly.

But no one seemed to mind working without compensation amid the chance to see world-renowned tennis stars in action.

Kids included.

Kathi Bond, a sophomore at Spanish River High School and one of 45 courtside ball boys and girls, said the tedium of standing by a baseline waiting to pounce on an out-of-play play had its advantages.

The official ball retrievers` uniforms they wore -- cap, T-shirt, windbreaker, shorts and sneakers -- are complimentary and can be taken home, she said.

She said her mother, a volunteer coordinator, recruited her, but with little difficulty because of the free outfit and the fact that "it sounded like fun."
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #123

LLOYD DEFEATS GRAF IN FINAL
Peter Alfano
Feb. 23, 1986
The New York Times

Given the cost of court time nowadays, Steffi Graf can always look upon today's experience on the sun-baked concrete at the Lipton International Players Championships as a free tennis lesson. And she could not have asked for a better teacher than Chris Evert Lloyd.

In the 82 minutes they spent on the stadium court in the women's final - slugging groundstrokes from the baseline - Miss Graf learned a little more about patience, poise and exploiting an opponent's weakness.

The 16-year-old West German, who has quickly risen to No. 4 in the world, intimidated Mrs. Lloyd in the opening games of the match with an overpowering topspin forehand not often seen on the women's tour. ''She hit harder groundstrokes than any of the girls have been hitting,'' Mrs. Lloyd said. ''Her forehand is unbelievable.'' Mrs. Lloyd was not flustered for long, however. She relied on her own steady baseline game, cultivated for 15 years as a professional, and began playing to Miss Graf's backhand. ''Her backhand has gotten much better, but it's still her weakness,'' Mrs. Lloyd said. ''And she can't hit winners off it.''

First Prize $112,500

Thus, any hopes of an upset were soon dashed. Mrs. Lloyd defeated Miss Graf, 6-4, 6-2, to win and earn $112,500. It was her 144th career tournament victory and actually moved her ahead of Martina Navratilova in the point standings for the seemingly never-ending year of 1985, which will finally reach its conclusion next month with the Virginia Slims championships. At 31 years of age, Mrs. Lloyd said she has never played better.

''I had chances,'' Miss Graf said, ''but Chris always knows what to do when it's very close. That's the difference between us. I'll probably have to change my game against her, come to the net more and serve better.''

This was the sixth time they have played, and Mrs. Lloyd has swept all 12 sets. Today's was their third confrontation in a tournament final.

Mrs. Lloyd has singled out Miss Graf as a potential No. 1 player, not as spectacular as Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina, perhaps, but more consistent. ''Steffi has all the shots and moves beautifully,'' Mrs. Lloyd said. ''She has that huge forehand and a slice backhand that gives her a style that's all her own.''

Not Patient Enough

Only Tracy Austin among the baseliners, however, has been able to defeat Mrs. Lloyd at her own game, sitting on the baseline, capitalizing on mistakes. Miss Graf's intention today was to hit winners and avoid lengthy baseline rallies.

''She was more eager to win,'' Mrs. Lloyd said, ''but she was more impatient too.''

Miss Graff was broken in the first game of the match but quickly broke back, forcing the play and keeping Mrs. Lloyd off balance. After holding serve, Miss Graf broke again to take a 3-1 lead as a ruffled Mrs. Lloyd double-faulted on triple break point.

Eager, perhaps, to steal the first set, Miss Graf committed four unforced errors in her next service game and was broken. Still, the set was even at 4-all when she served in the ninth game. Lulled Into Mistakes

She won the first 2 points but then was lulled into a backhand exchange. She sliced cross court, and Mrs. Lloyd returned her shot to almost the same spot, as if they were practicing. Miss Graf was unable to hit her backhand down the line with any degree of accuracy or run around it to hit a forehand. Thus, she hit a backhand long to lose the point.

Then, she hit another backhand long and tried to hit a forehand too hard, knocking it out also. Facing break point, Miss Graf rebounded with a forehand winner. At deuce, however, she made two more unforced errors and was broken.

Mrs. Lloyd then served out the set, oddly enough hitting her first and only service winner at set point. And she was confident she was now in control.

''A lot of the girls can play well for one set but find it harder for two,'' she said. Miss Graf struggled to hold serve in the opening game of the second set, then was broken for the fourth time in the third game, slicing two backhands long. The outcome was really no longer in doubt.

''I didn't know whether to slice or use topspin on my backhand today,'' Miss Graf said. ''It got me irritated. In the second set, Chris didn't make any errors. I'm getting better, but she is so consistent. Maybe, she'll stop playing soon.''

----Connors Punishment Weighed Marshall Happer, the administrator for the Men's International Professional Tennis Council, is expected to decide within a week what further penalties will be handed to Jimmy Connors, who was defaulted in the fifth set of his semifinal match against Ivan Lendl Friday. Connors refused to continue play after a disputed call, saying that he was fed up with incompetent officiating. He was fined $5,000 but faces an additional fine and suspension.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #124

EVERT'S EXPERIENCE PAYS OFF
The Miami Herald
JIM MARTZ

Chris Evert Lloyd believes the heir apparent to the throne of women's tennis may be Steffi Graf, a 16-year-old West German with a cannonball forehand, rifle serve and BB gun backhand.

But neither Evert nor Martina Navratilova are ready to abdicate the throne yet. Navratilova proved that by not losing a set in winning both her tournaments this year, and Evert put a ditto mark on that Saturday as she whipped Graf, 6-4, 6-2, to win the women's singles title in the $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships before 9,035 at Boca West and a national television audience.

Evert also has won both her tournaments this year while not dropping a set. She gave Graf a 6-3, 6-1 lesson in consistency at the Virginia Slims of Florida final at Key Biscayne three weeks ago. Saturday, Graf learned that experience and producing under pressure are keys to reaching the top.

"She always knows what to do when it gets close," Graf said. "That's the difference between us.

"She's more consistent. She didn't make any errors in the second set. She was hitting hard. I was trying to do my best. I played better this time."

In winning the 144th title of her career, the most of any player in modern tennis, Evert earned $112,500. That boosted her career earnings to $6,514,663 and her won-lost record to 1,096-105.

Miss Heir Apparent took home $56,250 for a career total of $310,209. Now 90-45 in matches, she's still looking for her first title on the tour.

"I started a little slowly, tentatively, and she came out roaring," Evert said.

"She hits harder groundstrokes than probably any of the girls playing. It was a matter of her playing well rather than me playing badly.

"Her forehand is unbelievable. She was moving very well, and she was probably a little more patient and more eager to win than before."

Evert countered Graf's forehands by pounding away at her backhand, backing her into a corner and forcing errors.

"She doesn't hit as well off the backhand, though she is steady," Evert said.

But Evert was steadier. At Key Biscayne, they were tied at 3-all in the first set before Evert took command. Saturday, it was 4-all when Evert made her move by breaking Graf's serve.

"I played some big points at 4-4 and 5-4," Evert said. "I don't think she lost the set so much as I pulled it out.

"Then I started playing better in the second set. A lot of the girls can play well for one set, but it's hard to play well for two."

Someday, Evert believes, Graf will be able to keep pace for two or three sets against the top players, just as she did in routing seventh-seeded Helena Sukova in the semifinals, 6-2, 6-1.

"I've always said she has what it takes to be No. 1 in a few years," Evert said. "She has all the shots, a good first serve, she moves around the court well and mentally she wants it.

"I can't really compare her to any other player. With her huge forehand and one-handed backhand slice, she has a game and style of her own. She's just a good athlete."

Added Graf: "Everybody likes to be No. 1. I'm sure I would, too. I need to attack more and work on my serve and backhand."

Evert will team with Wendy Turnbull in the women's doubles final today against Sukova and Pam Shriver. They'll play after the 1:30 p.m. men's singles final between Ivan Lendl and Mats Wilander.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #125

LLOYD TRIMS GRAF AGAIN
THE ORLANDO SENTINEL
Melissa Isaacson

Nothing out of the ordinary happened here Saturday. No defaults. No screaming fits. Not even any competitive tennis.

Just Chris Evert Lloyd in straight sets.

Lloyd won the women's final of the International Players Championships and $112,500 with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Steffi Graf.

It was Lloyd's second straight-sets victory over Graf in three weeks (she beat her in the final of the Virginia Slims of Florida in Key Biscayne) and sixth victory in their six meetings.

Graf, 16, who earned $56,250 for second palce, has yet to win a set against Lloyd.

Graf did, however, make things interesting in Saturday's first set. Using the booming forehand that carried her to an impressive three-set [sic] victory against Helena Sukova in Thursday's semifinals, Graf rebounded from being broken in the first game to break back in the second.

Graf, seeded second, played perhaps her best tennis of the match in the seventh game of the first set, ripping cross-court forehands and making Lloyd reach for her shots.

''She was hitting her groundstrokes harder than any of the other girls I've played in the tournament,'' Lloyd said. ''Her forehand is unbelievable. I was a bit intimidated by it in the first two games.''

Graf's downfall was her backhand, which Lloyd found and exploited throughout the second set.

''I really don't know what to do against her,'' Graf said. ''I had my chances to take the first set, but she always knows what to do when it's getting close. She's a little more consistent.''

Asked if she thought she had a chance to be No. 1 one day, Graf replied: ''I hope Chris stops playing soon.''

Lloyd, 31, said she liked Graf's chances. ''Steffi has the potential to be No. 1,'' she said. ''I've always said that. She has a good first serve and moves beautifully. And mentally, she wants it.''

Lloyd also was asked to comment on Friday's turmoil, when Jimmy Connors defaulted to Ivan Lendl in the fifth set of the men's semifinal after arguing with the chair umpire and refusing to continue the match.

''I don't think Jimmy should have walked off the court. Let's put it that way,'' Lloyd said of her former fiance (12 years ago). ''I think if there's a bad call, you have to keep on playing.

''The umpires and referees have let players get away with too much as it is, and this was bound to happen. The big-name players who constantly argue calls -- I'm not going to name them, but you know who they are -- stay in tournaments because they're big draws, and the promoters are too chicken to kick them out. It's out of control.''

Lendl will play Mats Wilander, who won his semifinal Friday night when Stefan Edberg retired in the second set with a pulled stomach muscle, for the championship, at 1:30 p.m. today.

Tournament chairman Butch Buchholz announced Saturday that for the third time in three years the International Players Championships will move to a new location.

Buchholz cited problems with Boca West developers. Specifically, the issue was complicated by a lawsuit filed by Boca West homeowners over the sale of the property by Arvida, the developers.

The 1987 site is Weston, an unincorporated area just west of Fort Lauderdale. Buchholz said he would like to have a permanent site by 1989 or 1990.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #126

EVERT TEES OFF ON GRAF, WINS LIPTON BIG THREE SUMMIT NEXT IN CALIFORNIA
Sun-Sentinel
Jim Sarni

Chris Evert Lloyd broke camp in South Florida Saturday. Spring training ended with an emphatic 6-4, 6-2 victory over Steffi Graf in the Lipton International Players Championships at Boca West.

The real season begins this week in Oakland, Calif.

Lipton no-shows Martina Navratilova and Hana Mandlikova join Evert at the Virginia Slims of California, marking the first confrontation of the Big Three in 1986.

For the past month, with Navratilova sick with the flu and Mandlikova nursing a bad shoulder, women`s tennis has been Evert`s private domain in her little corner of the world.

Evert won the Virginia Slims of Florida in Key Biscayne without losing a set. She won the LIPC without losing a set. Evert is 12-0, playing confidently and building toward a showdown.

"If she`s not confident now, she never will be," husband John Lloyd said. "Chris has had a great start. This will be a very interesting week coming up."

"I need a little rest right now. Two-week tournaments are hard. But it`s always nice to play in the same tournament with Martina and Hana," said Evert, who does not have to play until Thursday in the 28-player draw.

"This is my first indoor tournament of the year, and that`s going to be tough."

Evert defeated Graf for the sixth time in six tries before 9,035 Saturday to win her 144th title, the most of any player.

After losing last year`s inaugural LIPC to Navratilova, Evert put her name on the newest major championship, making the tea company she works for very happy.

"This was a big tournament for me," said Evert, who today will try to win the doubles title with Wendy Turnbull against Pam Shriver and Helena Sukova.

"I had to play well to beat Steffi. She came out roaring."

Graf stung Evert with her powerful forehand, which has become one of the strongest shots in women`s tennis.

Graf led 3-1 with a point for 4-1. But she netted a forehand at 40-30 and lost a long baseline rally at deuce. Graf hit an overhead wide on break point and Evert had the break back.

Graf had a chance at 4-3, deuce, with Evert serving to even the set, but she hit two backhands into the net.

Evert broke in the next game at deuce and served out the set from 30-all with an aggressive approach shot and a strong serve.

"Chris always knows what to do when the match gets close," Graf said. "She played very well in the last couple of games in the first set. She was more consistent."

"I was happy with the way I pulled out the first set," said Evert, who lost 30 games in first sets and 11 games in second sets for seven matches.

"Steffi came out hitting that forehand. Tracy Austin used to hit like that. Her play forced me into going for better shots."

Graf faded in the second set, like everyone else.

"A lot of these girls can play great for one set, but it`s hard to keep it up for two sets," Evert said. "Steffi played with a little more patience and was more eager to win than she was at Key Biscayne. She played a lot better."

"I was trying to do my best in the second set," Graf said. "Chris didn`t make any errors in the second set, and she felt good with her strokes. She was hitting hard."

Graf has reached the final of three South Florida tournaments in the last five months. She lost to Navratilova at the Lynda Carter/Maybelline Classic at Bonaventure last September and to Evert twice this winter.

But the 16-year-old West German held up her No. 2 seed each time.

"I`m satisfied," Graf said.

"Steffi has little chance against Chris," said Peter Graf, Steffi`s father and coach.

"Chris is playing the best tennis of anyone at the moment. Even better than Martina."
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #127

LLOYD TRAILS GRAF EARLY, BUT ZIPS OFF TO LIPTON TITLE
Lexington Herald-Leader
Associated Press

BOCA RATON, Fla. - Chris Evert Lloyd fought back from a 3-1 deficit and beat fast-starting Steffi Graf of West Germany 6-4, 6-2 yesterday to win the women's title at the $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships.

The tournament, the 144th that Lloyd has won as a professional, paid her $112,500. The 16-year-old Graf has yet to win an event in her short pro career. She picked up $56,250 as the runner-up in this two-week, Grand Slam-like event.

The men's title match between top-seeded Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia and second-seeded Mats Wilander was scheduled for today.

Lloyd beat Graf by the same score in the semifinals of this event last year, but she had to fight a lot harder this time.

The West German refused to fold when Lloyd broke her service in the first game. She broke right back, held her serve and then broke again with the help of a bristling forehand for a 3-1 lead.

"I think I started out a little bit slowly," Lloyd said. "But Steffi came out roaring. She wasn't missing any forehands in those first few games."

Graf showed the impatience of youth in the next game, however, pressing too hard to finish off her serve. She ended a long rally at deuce by hitting an easy forehand into the net, then blew an overhead to give Lloyd the game.

They stayed on serve until the pivotal ninth game, when Lloyd rebounded from 30-love in the ninth game and Graf hit another forehand long at break point, giving Lloyd a 5-4 lead.

"I was a bit intimidated by those forehands in the first few games. Once I got over that I was fine," Evert Lloyd said.

"She didn't make any mistakes in the first four or five games. But you can always count on her making some errors on her forehand because she goes for so many winners."

The 31-year-old Lloyd took advantage of the opportunity, finishing off the set with a rare service winner.

"I was really happy with the way I pulled out the first set. At 4-all, I felt I played two great games. Then I started playing a lot better in the second set. I started hitting it out and matching her groundstrokes."

After losing the first game of the second set, Lloyd demoralized her young opponent by rolling through five straight games, breaking Graf in the third and fifth games to win the title in 82 minutes.

Graf said she was satisfied with the way she played during the tournament as a whole, but she was disappointed with the outcome of the final.

"In the beginning, she was doing errors," Graf said. "I had chances in the first set. But she obviously knows what to do when it gets close. That's the difference between her and me. You don't really know what to do against her. She didn't make any errors in the second set."

Lloyd had at least half of her 16 unforced errors in the first four games. Graf finished with 34 unforced errors. Lloyd seldom left the baseline against Graf but converted on six of her nine approaches to the net.

Lloyd, ranked No.2 in the world to Graf's No. 6, also beat the young West German convincingly three weeks ago in a final at Key Biscayne, Fla. The two battled through six games before Lloyd won nine of the next 10 to win, 6-3, 6-1.

With the victory Saturday, Lloyd pulled ahead of top-ranked Martina Navratilova in the season-long Virginia Slims Championship Series. She has 3,050 points to 3,000 for Navratilova, with four events left in the season, which ends in March.

Graf recorded two runner-up finishes in 1985 after attracting international attention early last year by reaching the semifinals of this event.

But the highlight of Graf's career is her gold-medal winning performance at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, where tennis was a demonstration sport.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #128

SMILE, CHRIS - AND NOT JUST FOR THOSE YOU WON
Sun-Sentinel
Steve Hummer

Today, Chris Evert Lloyd has at least two reasons to smile.

One is the $112,500 she collected Saturday for subtly executing Steffi Graf at the Lipton International Players Championships.

The second is that things never worked out between her and Jimmy Connors.

Just another perfecta for the woman who has it all, including more victories than Perry Mason (1,096) and enough money (better than $6.5 million) to fill a barge or float one.

In a tranquil counterpoint to the war-torn men`s semis Friday, Evert dispatched Graf. She was a salve, a polite poultice. As she has for nearly as long as Graf has lived, Evert won with effortless grace.

She collected her pay without spitting on the hand that offered it, a lesson that has avoided Connors, her former partner at the Wimbledon Ball. For those who missed it, it is enough to say that the Rambo of men`s tennis ran out on his match against Ivan Lendl.

Evert`s 6-4, 6-2 victory over Graf Saturday was achieved with the same honesty with which she answered the question, "Why don`t the women play five- set finals?"

"With two baseliners, people would be bored to tears in a five-set match," Evert said.

In case you were unable to attend or tune into Saturday`s match, here is a little play-by-play as a sample:

"Evert hits a crosscourt backhand, Graf hits a crosscourt backhand, Evert hits a crosscourt backhand, Graf hits a crosscourt backhand, Evert hits a crosscourt backhand, Graf hits a crosscourt backhand, Evert hits a crosscourt backhand, Graf`s backhand goes long."

There were occasions when play went to Graf`s forehand, especially when she ran laps around the court trying to get to it. She generates a lot of money per square inch with that stroke.

"I was a bit intimidated by her forehand at first," said Evert, who flinches as often as a statue.

Evert, whose serve is on the feathery side, failed to hold her first two serves against Graf....

Wait a minute.

Timeout.

OK, you want to know what she thought about Connors` outburst Friday. Everyone did, that being more suspenseful than a victory over a teenager who hasn`t taken a set from Evert in six matches.

Real quick, then we`ll get back to the action. "Umpires and referees have let this go on too long. This was bound to happen," she said, pointing to the breakdown in discipline in her sport. "Tennis players get away with a lot more than people in any other sport.

"I don`t think Jimmy should have walked off the court." Of course she didn`t. Evert supporting Connors` actions would be like Bambi advocating international terrorism.

... But Evert snapped to. She broke Graf to go up 5-4 in the first set, when Graf ran around her backhand only to hit the shot long. Evert then served out the set, taking the set point with a rare service winner.

By then, young Graf was shattered. Evert had fine-tuned her touch, and an avalanche that began the moment Martina Navratilova shunned the LIPC swept over Graf.

"She didn`t make any errors and that got frustrating," Graf said. She committed 34 unforced errors to Evert`s 16. A whole generation has shuffled into midlife waiting for Evert to make a mistake.

Graf covers a court classically, almost gliding to her shots. It gets better from there. "She has all the shots. In a few years, she could be No. 1," Evert said.

She has been cast as the next great champion before winning her first tournament. Such a raw projection. The distance that Graf has yet to go can be measured by the fact that out of five deuce games Saturday, Evert won four of them.

"When will (Evert) stop?" Graf said, practically pleading.

There is hope. Graf at 16 may never outhit Evert at 31, but she can outwait the matron of the baseline.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #129

BUCHHOLZ TAKES FATHERLY PRIDE IN LIPTON'S STRIDES
The Miami Herald
Monday, February 24, 1986
JIM MARTZ

The Lipton tennis baby is doing fine despite its nomadic life, proclaims proud papa Butch Buchholz.

"Last year we were born, this year we stood up and walked, and I think we walked in the right direction," Buchholz said Sunday in his second annual state of the $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships address.

"We've come a long way. The tournament was seen on television in five continents, live in 28 countries. And we drew 193,000 (up from 125,817 last year). Today we were 15 short of a sellout (which is 11,200), and I'm buying them. It's a sellout.

"We improved our operations, and our credibility with the players improved. I think the people believe this tournament is here to stay. ABC (television) has the option for 1987, and I believe they'll pick it up."

The tournament, held last year at Laver's Resort in Delray Beach, moves from Boca West to Weston in western Broward County next year. Buchholz said the scoreboards, lights and even the trees will be trekked there, and the tournament will be held a week later, Feb. 23 to March 8.

"We'll be able to draw from a whole new market we haven't touched," said Buchholz. "The site at Weston will be about identical to Boca West. The same architect is doing it. A lot of people say Weston is too far out, but when Wimbledon was built in the 1920s it was a long way from London."

This year's tournament drew nine of the top 10 men (the exception was John McEnroe) and seven of the top 10 women (missing Martina Navratilova, Hana Mandlikova and Claudia Kohde-Kilsch).

Asked what it would take for the tournament to be automatic on all the players' schedules, Buchholz said, "Time and a permanent stadium.

"As the changing of the guard continues, the younger players will say this is automatic. Boris Becker said he never gave any thought to not playing here. We'd like to get a couple of years under our belt at Weston before starting a permanent stadium."
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #130

Tennis a Tough Racket
The Daily Oklahoman
Scott Munn

Today's kids are the country's future. They hold tennis' destiny, too. Rosie Casals just wishes kids, or rather teeny-boppers, wouldn't try and rush it.

Take it from someone who never knew, but is wise enough to tell. Anyone 15 or under hoping to be a professional tennis player is looking for trouble.

"It's hard to judge the quality of tennis players today because there are so many young players turning pro,'' Casals said before a match in the Lipton International Players Championship at Boca Raton, Fla. "You don't know who's really good.''

Casals, 37, would've liked to start defending a singles championship in Monday's first-round of the $75,000 Virginia Slims of Oklahoma tournament at Summerfield Racquet Club. Casals won the 1973 tournament, which was also the last time Virginia Slims stopped in Oklahoma.

However, since Casals didn't win a wild-card berth later awarded to Mary Norwood of Oklahoma City, she'll go home to Sausalito, Calif. At the same time, a few youngsters will try and become the new singles champion and win a portion of the $75,000 purse.

"It's not positive for the game,'' Casals said about pre-high school grads becoming professionals. "The pro circuit should be for older players. There's a lot more pressure on playing when you're young.

"A few good samples are Tracy (Austin) and Andrea Jaeger. They both started when they were something like 15. It seems like Tracy's been out of tennis for 2 1/2 years with injuries. Andrea started too young and she went through some emotional problems. They should've been 16 before they turned pro and that's pressing it.''

Last week, Mary Joe Fernandez of Miami, Fla., announced she was turning professional at the tender age of 14. That's three years before Casals even thought of playing for money.

Although Casals was ranked as one of the United States' top five amateur singles players at 16, she said it was a year later before tennis became serious business. But it still wasn't until after her 20th birthday that Casals turned professional.

The wait obviously helped since Casals has built an incredible list of accomplishments. She has been ranked No. 1 on the U.S. doubles list 10 times. Billie Jean King was her doubles partner eight of those years while Chris Evert Lloyd and JoAnne Russell teammed up with Casals the last two respectively.

Casals was the Wightman Cup player-coach in 1977, '79 and '80. In 1967, '68, '70, '71 and '73, she and King won Wimbledon doubles championships. From 1970 through '78, including the Virginia Slims of Oklahoma tournament, Casals triumphed in eight Slims events. With several other victories, her earnings have gone over $1.3 million.

"I feel fortunate to be in the game,'' Casals said. "I wanted to start early in the game, but I took some time to adjust and get better. I had time to grow up. These girls today don't have time to grow up. There's too much pressure on them.''

With so many young players going in and out of tennis all the time, some have wondered if it's the answer to why Martina Navratilova and Lloyd have virtually owned women's tennis the last few years.

"I don't think it's why they've been dominating,'' Casals said. "I think it's because they had a chance to grow up - they didn't start so young. They've worked on their consistency and now they know how to play.

"The game has changed a lot. As far as money goes, it used to be $12,000 in prize money. Now it's in the millions. Since the women went their own way in 1971, instead of one tournament a week, there are two or three. But the quality of play is hard to judge - there are just too many young players.''
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #131

Might be of use for the encyclopedia/biography entry for Gadusek...

GADUSEK FIGHTS HER WAY TO TOP BOTH COURAGE AND CONTROVERSY FLOW FROM HER SENSE OF DESIRE
San Jose Mercury News
JOHN AKERS

THE ACCIDENT occurred more than 10 years ago, but Sylvia Gadusek remembers it as if it were yesterday.

Her daughter, Bonnie, was resting in a hospital bed, sandbags keeping her broken neck in place.

"I said, 'When things happen, they happen for the best. I don't know why this happened, but there is a reason, and it will turn out for the best,' " Sylvia said. "And that's what happened."

Bonnie, then 12, was an aspiring gymnast, with dreams of the Olympics, training at the Eva Szabo Gymnastics Club in Pittsburgh. Her Olympic hopes ended when she fell while performing a simple move on the uneven parallel bars. She fell on her neck, breaking the second and third vertebrae.

''In an accident like that, she should not have survived," said Sylvia, a nurse.

Bonnie Gadusek has more than survived. She is the eighth- ranked women's tennis player in the world -- thanks to a tennis racket purchased by her sister, Darlene, and an overwhelming desire that has created bitter feelings in at least one camp.

She is bringing that desire to a $150,000 tournament in Oakland that will be played Monday through next Sunday.

After Gadusek was released from the hospital, she wore a neck-and-body brace for 6 1/2 months. The brace extended below her navel, and two bars pressing against her neck prevented her from looking anywhere but straight ahead.

Gymnastics was out of the question. Doctors said another fall might be fatal. ''The doctor told me the injury was severe enough that I should choose another sport," Bonnie said. "It was a difficult thing for me to accept. I didn't want to (quit gymnastics); I wanted to go back into the gym. But I came to conclude it was a dangerous sport, and my life was more important."

But there was little else to do. The brace prevented her from going to school; yet she had too much energy to sit still. Much of her time was spent in tears. ''She was very depressed," Sylvia said. "She was used to working five to six hours a day."

Then Darlene introduced the tennis racket. Despite the inhibiting brace, Bonnie went to a local court and hit balls against a backboard. The brace forced her to develop a two- handed backhand, a la Chris Evert Lloyd, and she needed a stomp-and-grab technique just to pick up balls.

''At first she didn't like it," Sylvia said. "She said, 'I'm frustrated. I can't hit the ball.' Then one day it came together.

''She would practice every single day, morning and night, because she couldn't go to school. Her tutors would usually find her at the courts."

After five months in the brace, Bonnie learned of a junior tennis tournament in Pittsburgh. She not only wanted to enter, she wanted to win.

''She entered with three weeks to go," Sylvia said. "She went to a Y, and she said, 'You have to help me win this tournament.' "

An instructor, Dutch Hoffman, was impressed by her spunk and offered to give her lessons. "He didn't know she'd be there from 8 in the morning to 9 at night," Sylvia said.

Bonnie did not win the tournament, but she turned heads by reaching the final before losing 6-1, 7-5 to Laura Gray.

Gadusek's older sisters, Annette and Darlene, were dancers. They left home at ages 9 and 13 to accept scholarships from a dance school in Toronto.

Annette, now a well-known model in Denver, performed for a dance troupe in Europe and Pittsburgh. Darlene performed for the American Dance Ensemble before retiring.

Bonnie was influenced by her older sisters, but she had a mind of her own.

''I thought ballet was too slow for me," she said. "Gymnastics is sort of a form of dancing, only it was more active, more me."

Szabo said, "She was very industrious, a very determined girl. You can admire that, someone who says she wants to be the best at her sport.

''She had potential (as a gymnast), but not Olympic potential at all. She achieved much more in tennis than she ever would have in gymnastics."

As her mother said, things happen for the best.

''I think the injury motivated her to where she feels she's at the threshold of where she can be first, second or third in the world," said Bonnie's boyfriend and manager, Dave Boydell of Brisbane.

''Deep down, she probably feels she could have made the Olympics, but in tennis the rewards are probably more than she could have made in gymnastics." And Sylvia said: "There's no money in gymnastics, unless you're Mary Lou Retton."

And yet, gymnastics remains a part of Bonnie.

''She recently told a reporter that gymnastics is the love of her life," Sylvia said. "But when there's gymnastics on television, she doesn't even watch."

Is it too tough to watch?

''I think so," Sylvia said. "But I don't even know, and I'm her mother."

Soon after reaching the final of her first junior tennis tournament, Gadusek put away her brace. She hung it on a chain-link fence and said she would never wear it again.

Then she went looking for a more experienced coach. She went to a library, looked through magazines for addresses of tennis camps and sent 50 letters asking for help.

''She said, 'I had the best gymnastics coach; now I need the best tennis coach,' " Sylvia said.

Harry Hopman, a world-renowned coach with a camp in Bardmore, Fla., was the only person to respond. Hopman, who died last year, offered her a one-year scholarship, and Gadusek and her mother soon moved there, with her late father, Frank, joining them a year later.

''When she first came here, she really wasn't very good for a 12-year-old," says Tommy Thompson, who has been an instructor at Harry Hopman's International Tennis for the last 10 years. "She was a determined little girl. She didn't have excellent talent, but she was very determined.

''One day, Harry told her that her scholarship was over because the year was up, and she completely broke down," Thompson said. "He said, 'No, that's it,' and he was very adamant about it, that he wanted to give the scholarship to someone else.

''The next day she was out hitting, and I knew she couldn't afford what it costs to stay here. I asked Harry, and he said, 'Well, I couldn't turn her down.' "

That ability to get her way is what could lift her among the top five players in the world, Thompson said. It also has caused some problems in Hopman's school.

''She knows exactly what she wants, and she's not afraid to use people to get it," Thompson said. "She's milked this school for all she could get. I'm not saying that negatively. She just knows what she wants and how to get it."

For one thing, Gadusek recently switched coaches, disregarding personnel from the Hopman school to choose Billy Stearns, a professional at a country club near Hopman's.

Her past relationship with Hopman was never strained, say those close to her. She has told several newspapers that Hopman was like "a second father" to her. ''Everything I have, I owe to him," she told the St. Petersburg (Fla.) Times. Her closest friends agree that Gadusek will do whatever it takes to win, although they see her ambition in a different light.

Boydell and Gadusek met last November in Tampa, Fla., where Boydell was helping promote a tournament for Golden Gater Productions. She played in the Pan Pacific in Tokyo on Dec. 9-15, and since then he has been traveling with her to help her train and manage business affairs.

''Bonnie is two different people," Boydell said. "A lot of people see her as, 'Gosh, she's a hot-tempered tennis player.' But Bonnie is a delight off the court. She's got a real shy side, which people probably don't expect from her." Anna Ivan of Palo Alto, who defeated Gadusek in a recent tournament in Boca Raton, Fla., has seen both sides of Gadusek. Ivan has practiced with her and played doubles with her a couple of years ago.

''She's mentally tough, and it shows," Ivan said. "Not to the point where she never smiles, but she's intense and determined. I knew that before I got on the court with her and found out even more when I got on the court with her. I was intimidated at first."

Many observers think Gadusek will be ready to make a charge when tennis' summit eventually is vacated by 29-year-old Martina Navratilova and 31-year-old Evert. To this point, Gadusek is 0-2 against Navratilova, 0-11 against Evert and 1-4 against Hana Mandlikova, all of whom will be playing at Oakland.

Gadusek has shown hints of future success. Last year, she won tournaments at Marco Island, Fla., Chicago and Indianapolis and the Swiss Open and earned $170,700.

''I think she'll surprise some people," Stearns said.

That won't surprise anyone who knows her.
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #132

TENNIS-TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER HAS A LOT ON THE BALL
The Dallas Morning News
Friday, February 28, 1986
Robert Miller

The formula for success? Simplicity itself.

Nurture future tennis stars, ante up the tennis purses to astronomical heights, build an "army of volunteers" -- from your "million" friends. Take advantage of those friends' inability to say no when it's for a worthy cause.

Put it all together, and it spells Nancy Jeffett.

Did someone mention Virginia Slims of Dallas? If Jeffett, chairwoman of the Virginia Slims Women's Professional Tennis Tournament, didn't, she must have laryngitis.

Pertinent Slims information: March 10-16 at Southern Methodist University's Moody Coliseum.

Led by Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert Lloyd and Pam Shriver with a host of others. A purse of a quarter of a million dollars. Funds benefit the Maureen Connolly Brinker Tennis Foundation. Jeffett is one of three trustees and a member of the board of directors.

There are still a few general admission tickets available. For information, call (214) 750-8362 or drop by the Moody Coliseum ticket office.

There we are, caught up in Jeffett's enthusiasm.

Did you note that $250,000 in prize money? Only three other women's tournaments match that in the United States. The Slims finals in Madison Square Garden the following week will hand out a cool million. It was not always thus. Jeffett recalls the first Dallas tournament in 1970 when Billie Jean King and Margaret Smith Court battled it out. The prize? Just the glory of it.

If you haven't bet on that one yet, put your money on Court. She won.

Jeffett is very obliging. You can even get her to discuss tennis. Credits Lamar Hunt with helping push tennis into a must-see pastime. Credits Gladys Heldman, formerly of Houston and now of Santa Fe, N.M., with helping make "women's tennis big business."

Heldman, who had started the first magazine dedicated to tennis -- World Tennis -- persuaded Joe Cullman, who was chairman of the board of Philip Morris Inc. at the time, to organize the Virginia Slims tournaments for women. Major thanks to Cullman, women's tennis purses total $14 million a year.

Jeffett wears so many hats in the tennis world she can wait till the last minute to grab a bonnet for an Easter parade.

Two chairmanships reflect on the U.S. fortunes -- one superlative and one not so hot -- in women's tennis.

Jeffett is chairwoman of the Wightman Cup Committee for the United States Tennis Association. That is obviously a genteel competition -- the British vs. us. We have prevailed for the last seven years. It is played on the campus of the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Va., every other year -- and at Albert Hall in London on alternate years.

Jeffett also is chairwoman of the Federation Cup Committee for the USTA. For the last three years, we've been the Rodney Dangerfield of the tournament. The awesome Czechs -- in the form of Hana Mandlikova -- were the winner the last two times.

Chris and Martina have had conflicting demands and didn't make the trip. That is going to change. "Martina and Pam are definitely going to Prague in July, and we're going to win."

What does the Maureen Connolly Brinker Tennis Foundation do with the $200,000 to $250,000 it raises each year? Sponsors junior tournaments for boys and girls -- mostly girls -- in Dallas and all over the country. From little acorns, tall oaks grow. The Little Mo Championship Tennis is for 8-, 9- and 10-year-olds in Dallas in October. And there is the Maureen Connally Brinker Junior Girls Invitational in Dallas in June and a major junior event sponsored by Seventeen magazine in California in M ay. Fifteen tournaments in all.

The foundation even sends a wheelchair team to tournaments in California.

Ann Smith, now back on the tournament circuit, is a product of the foundation's efforts. So is Zina Garrison of Houston, now ranked seventh. Tracy Austin, a former star now doing TV tennis commentary, is a foundation product.

Believe Jeffett when she says, "This has become my whole life."

Jeffett has all those volunteers, remember. Tammy Woodworth handles "all foundation activities. My daughter, Sissy Jeffett, handles all the marketing."

But there are a couple of volunteers whose thoughts must have wandered ever so slightly from the 200 percent dedication to tennis. Linda Weber actually took off a week to go on her honeymoon with new husband Stephen Collins.

Can you imagine?

"She is due back Monday, or I'll kill her." We doubt it because that would reduce the number of volunteers to 999,999 -- one short of total success.

Jeffett does run a tight ship. She remembers last year at this time, just before the Virginia Slims of Dallas, when Mary Corrigan Livingston -- married just one year -- was serving as ticket chairwoman and rarely saw the inside of her own home.

Jeffett reports that husband Pete Livingston phoned her -- he believes in going to the top -- and put it this way: "If she doesn't come home soon, she is going to be Mary Corrigan again."

Can Pete Livingston possibly believe there is something more important in this world than tennis?
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 01:16 AM   #133

Quite a few articles from this time frame in which the hope/hype is still running high that a North American girl like Bassett or Rinaldi will inherit the throne one day.

DARLING CARLING BASSETT - AT 18, she's got fame, fortune and a future as the tops in tennis
The Dallas Morning News
Monday, March 10, 1986
Steve Levin

By the time Louis the Waiter reaches the seat of Carling the Guest of Honor, the curiosity of everyone else at the table is piqued. Six adults are seated at the center table in The Mansion's restaurant, and nothing is more important at this moment than learning what the seventh, an 18-year-old woman-child, will order for lunch.

She is younger than everyone at the table and possibly wealthier than all of them put together. And she is pretty, that kind of blond, tanned beach look that stares at convenience store customers from the magazine rack. This, despite her choice of clothes, which, except for the white patent-leather bowling shoes, might all have come from a fire sale at a local Sisters of Mercy Me store.

Louis bends from the waist to listen to Carling Bassett's order: She'll start with the beefsteak tomato salad with Dallas mozzarella cheese, avocado slices and basil vinaigrette dressing and, for her entree, the sauteed Maine lobster with basil pasta and wild mushroom sauce.

"Oh, wait!" Louis stops cold at the sound of Carling's loud, squeaky voice. One of the guests at the lunch table is the general manager of The Mansion, and Louis knows he must be most solicitous.

"Can I have it without the wild mushroom sauce?" Carling asks. "Once I ate some wild mushroom sauce and got real sick."

Of course, she can have it without wild mushroom sauce. This girl can have anything she wants, anyway she wants it. It's not just that she makes more than $500,000 a year and her father is a millionaire and she has had the best that money can buy while growing up. Forget that she has been in a movie and on a network soap opera and hobnobbed with royalty and dated actor Rob Lowe and been told on and off during the past two years that one day she may be the best women's tennis player in the world.

Carling Bassett's life might have been conjured up by a genie who decided to give her all the wishes she wanted. But the genie must have been in a bad mood on this recent day because all he could do for Carling was bring her to Dallas for several promotional appearances connected with the upcoming Virginia Slims of Dallas tennis tournament: an 8:15 a.m. radio interview, a 10 a.m. appearance across town, an 11:15 a.m. interview with WFAA-TV (Channel 8), then lunch at The Mansion. (The weeklong tennis tournament begins today at Moody Coliseum.)

It's a lovely luncheon crowd at the table -- the matronly magnate of Virginia Slims of Dallas , her daughter-publicist, The Mansion manager and his wife, a public relations ingenue, a reporter and Carling. The food, of course, is excellent, and Carling regales her table-mates with stories about her 18th birthday during a tournament in Japan, her latest boyfriend and life on the Virginia Slims Tour.

Her lunch-mates don't interrupt Carling to ask any background questions because they already know all about her:

*She was named female Canadian Athlete of the Year for the second year in a row in 1985.

*She is the 14th-ranked female tennis player in the world.

*Her father is John Bassett, a member of Canada's Davis Cup Team at 20 and the man who helped develop World Team Tennis, the World Hockey Association, the World Football League and the U.S. Football League; he is the principal owner of the Tampa Bay Bandits. Her mother, Susan, is related to the Carling brewing family. Carling was named for her maternal great-great-grandfather.

*From age 11 to 14, Carling Bassett's schedule at Nick Bollettieri's Tennis Academy in Bradenton, Fla., was up at 6:30 a.m.; breakfast at 7; school at 8:30; on the bus back to the academy at 12:30 p.m. with lunch along the way; practice from 1:30 to 5; jog three to five miles; do 100 pushups and 100 situps; take a shower; eat dinner at 6:15; hit the books; and lights out at 10 p.m.

*She turned pro before she turned 16.

*She won $171,000 in prize money in 1984 (when she was ranked ninth in the world) and $189,591 last year. She reached the singles semifinals in four tournaments last year and the quarterfinals of three others.

*She never has beaten Martina Navratilova or Chris Evert Lloyd in tournament play.

*She has more endorsements (including Canada Dry, Nabisco, a JCPenney sportswear line, Nike and McDonald's) than any other woman on the professional tour and may earn almost $500,000 from endorsements alone this year.

*For 2 1/2 years, she has been a model for the prestigious Ford Modeling Agency in New York.

*She starred in the movie Spring Fever, which flopped at the theater but earned Carling this description from The Hollywood Reporter: "A winsome young actress . . . who captivates us without halfway trying." She also has played herself on the CBS soap opera As the World Turns.

*Besides Rob Lowe, she also has dated tennis whizzes Jimmy Arias and Aaron Krickstein.

*She travels for 30 weeks out of the year and will finish high school this year through correspondence courses.

"I'm just going at my own pace," she says during an interview after lunch. "I don't think age has a lot to do with it. I try to improve, but that takes a while. I'm starting to make tennis more a part of my life than I used to. I'm starting to take out a lot of the other interests I had and really dedicate myself now. Instead of going home after a couple of hours of tennis, I go do weights, go swimming, maybe go running.

"I want to be successful. I'm certainly not satisfied with not trying all the time."

But isn't it hard, trying to be a tennis superstar, world traveler and teen-ager at the same time? How normal can it be for a teen-ager to jet from one continent to another week after week without a chance to hang out and just be one of the gang?

"I think I've been very normal going-out-wise, more so than a lot of players," she says. "I can see where a lot of people would wonder. I go out when I'm home all the time to parties. I have a couple of people I see sometimes who are just fun and just have a great time.

"I have a lot of good friends in Toronto, so I'm very happy with what I have right now. I wouldn't want any more."

Carling feels pretty confident about herself these days. Because of her looks and her game, she is a welcome entry at any tournament. At four tournaments so far, promoters have teamed her for doubles matches with 15-year-old Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina, a dark-skinned, dark-haired vision ranked 11th in the world. It's a pair made in heaven.

Carling doesn't mind being called "the teen-age darling of tennis" or "pro tennis beauty" because she thinks it's good for the game.

As far as pairing up with Sabatini, Carling says, promoters don't ask if the two plan to be doubles partners, "they say, 'You will be doubles partners.' "

Their friendship was difficult initially because of Sabatini's tenuous grasp of English.

"Her English has gotten a lot better," Carling says. "At first we didn't speak much English toward each other. We just used hand signals, right? I probably could speak to the blind ... uh, deaf now."

The favorite things in Carling's life are boys, shopping and fast cars (this last favorite is interchangeable with motorcycles and barefoot water-skiing). If she had her way, she would jump out of an airplane today. She's dying to try parachuting.

"I love the feeling of speed," she says. Then she tries to set straight a popular story about her speeding through the Rickenbacker Causeway toll booth in Florida last year without paying the $1 fare. Instead of the published reports of her exceeding the speed limit by 20 mph, she insists she was going only 5 mph over the limit. And the only reason she didn't pay the toll, she says, was that she thought her rental car had a special sticker allowing free access.

Whatever really happened, tournament promoters didn't give her a rental car this year.

"The press got a hold of it, and it was blown out of proportion," she says, also recalling a similar time when sportswriters reported she dipped her necklace in honey and strawberry jam before matches and sucked on it while playing.

But she doesn't mind sportswriters, and she doesn't mind being asked the same questions all the time because "that's their job and they're interviewing me for my job."

She loves buying funky clothes, especially when she can root around and find an unusual skirt, hat or pair of socks or earrings. She also wears some of her JCPenney's sports line -- yet two years ago, she admits, "I wouldn't have gone to JCPenney."

Dallas, she says, "is a good place to come and get good clothes you have to wear to dinner. In that context, it's very fashionable."

Right now, the most unfashionable thing about Carling is her chin. A few weeks ago, she tripped and fell while running on a beach and badly scraped her chin.

"It just got raw and then I went in the ocean and it just kind of got tender and it bubbled," she says, self-consciously putting her hand up to her chin. "Then it was healing fine and the scabs came off too early."

She pauses as if trying to decide whether she should say more. She finally does.

"I picked them."

The interview ends, Carling says thanks and goes in to pack for her flight home to Toronto. It's 3 p.m. and this 18-year-old's workday is over. And she hasn't played even one set of tennis.
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #134

Turnbull holds off Savchenko
Houston Chronicle
Tuesday, March 11, 1986
United Press International

DALLAS - Twelfth-seeded Wendy Turnbull defeated Larissa Savchenko of the Soviet Union 6-4, 6-4 in the first round of the Virginia Slims of Dallas tennis tournament.

Fifty-six singles players and a 26-team doubles field are to compete in the $250,000 tournament, which runs through Sunday.

Turnbull, 34, a native of Australia, trailed love-40 in the final game of the first set but rallied for five straight points to break Savchenko and win the set Monday. She also broke Savchenko, 19, on the final game of the second set as the 19-year-old Russian hit wide at deuce.

The final game of the night matched two unseeded players, Anne White and Annabel Croft of England.

In earlier singles matches, No. 10 seed Kathy Rinaldi defeated Pam Casale 6-4, 7-5; Wendy White upset No. 11 seed Catarina Lindquist of Sweden, 6-4, 3-6, 6-0; Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria overcame Kathleen Horvath 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 6-4; Stephanie Rehe beat Anne Minter of Australia, 6-3, 6-2; and Bettina Bunge of Monaco defeated Iva Budarova 7-6, (7-5), 6-0.
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #135

And inexplicably, the Dallas Morning News goes dark in this archive for the week of this tournament.

NAVRATILOVA IS EQUIPPED WITH A HEART
The Dallas Morning News
Wednesday, March 12, 1986
David Casstevens

As Martina Navratilova walked into the arena, the applause began to swell. The crowd was applauding her the way it would for a tank in a military parade.

We tend to think of her as a machine. That's because she is so unhumanly good at what she does. Push the starter button. The engine coughs to life, then settles into a choppy idle. Her head turns slowly on its mount, like a turret. Flip a switch. Left arm mechanically extends and raises overhead, sighting its target like the barrel of an anti-aircraft gun. Given the internal command to "Fire," out belches a thunderous, flaming serve.

She is like a war machine in many ways. Tough. Durable. Relentless. Martina wasn't born. She was assembled. Never mind her age. What's her range? Her caliber?

Martina Navratilova has won so much and so often for so long it's easy to think of her as being something less than flesh and blood. Anyone who plays tennis like she can must be bionic. A blonde robot. Behind that mask lies a network of wires. Beneath that tough, muscular exterior are only fuses and gears and bolts and springs. If she ever stops winning, call an electrician. Her wiring shorted out.

She won again Tuesday night. Someone flipped the switch, and the $10 million woman mechanically came to life. Martina hasn't lost a first-round match since 1981. Though a little rusty, she needed only 68 minutes to eliminate Elise Burgin, 6-3, 6-4, in their evening match at the Virginia Slims of Dallas, a tournament the Martina Machine has won six times.

"Who do I play next?" its voice box asked after its work was done.

Barbara Potter, it was told. Potter is 0-16 in matches against the Martina Machine.

Lighting up a life

Martina Navratilova is so coldly efficient on the tennis court we tend to think of her in an impersonal way. With stats like hers, she must have a computer chip for a heart.

Only that's not so. Martina is a living, breathing, caring, sharing person, and if that sounds corny, or it doesn't fit your perception, please read on.

Two years ago at Wimbledon, Gigi Fernandez felt terribly low. Her game was off. Her confidence and energy level were down. That week, the young Puerto Rican received a letter. To her surprise, it was from the Martina Machine, winner of five Wimbledon titles.

A stranger writing as if a dear friend, Martina urged Gigi to keep working. She told her she had the ability to become in time one of the game's best players. "After that note, I was on a total high," Fernandez recalls, smiling fondly at the memory of Martina's thoughtfulness.

In her first tournament after Wimbledon, Fernandez made it to the final before she lost to You Know Who.

A charitable soul

Martina takes what she wants on the court. But away from it, she is a giver. Three years ago, Navratilova established the Martina Youth Foundation, a non-profit organization to help children in need. To give these disadvantaged kids a fighting chance, she has raised sizable sums of money through exhibitions.

For the last two years, Martina has given a Christmas party for the kids at the Lena Pope Home in Fort Worth. Turkey dinner. Gifts and autographed pictures for each of the 90 children, who have been emotionally disturbed, abused or neglected.

At Martina's expense, the Lena Pope kids attended Tuesday night's match at Moody Coliseum. "She has meant so much to them," said Verlie Edwards, the home's community relations director. "This may be the only chance these kids will ever have to attend an event like this." After her match, Martina visited with the kids and patiently autographed the Youth Foundation T-shirt each wore with pride.

As Navratilova made her way to the interview room, another group was waiting to see her. Martina is the honorary weekend chairman of Arlington Cares, an organization hopes to raise money for Littlest Angels, a home for multiple handicapped children.

Martina was late for her press interview. Along the way, she stopped to speak to a 5-year-old girl clutching a miniature set of crutches. "Hi, Amy!" Martina said to Amy Fuller, bending down to kiss the child's cheek. Don't tell Amy that a machine can't have a heart. Judging from her smile, she would never believe you.