1986 - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #76
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1986

NO GLITCHES AT LIPTON
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, February 11, 1986
MARK NEWMAN

On opening day of last year's $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships, Luigi Brambilla left the umpire's chair and walked off the stadium court in a huff, leaving Ivan Lendl and Larry Stefanki to call their own match.

Brambilla had no problems Monday with 18-year-olds Michelle Torres and Debbie Spence. In fact, he pretty much symbolized Day 1, Year 2 of the two-week tournament.

The move from Laver's Resort in Delray Beach to Boca West was relatively glitch-proof. The matches began about as promptly as tennis matches can; construction ended on time; there were no huge traffic jams; and the weather was a big improvement over last year's cold and windy conditions.

"The first day was dramatically different than last year," said tournament chairman Butch Buchholz. "Players say they're enjoying everything. If the weather holds, this will exceed our expectations."

The Italian ice and the trolley rides from car to court are nice. But the Lipton tournament, billed as the Winter Wimbledon and touted as a grand-slam style event, still lacks the distinctive ambience found in New York, Paris or Wimbledon.

That might take awhile. For the second year, the workers' lavish creation will be razed after the final match. The tournament moves next year to Weston, a community in West Broward County expected to be its permanent home.

"What a relief that will be," Buchholz said. "We really couldn't build off last year's tournament, because we didn't know six months in advance where it would be played this time."

NOTEBOOK

As proof of the tournament's popularity, credentials were issued to 316 media members representing 15 countries. The tournament, which will be broadcast by ESPN and ABC (Feb. 22-23 finals), will be viewed in 24 countries outside the United States . . . Friday (St. Valentine's Day) is Bring Your Sweetheart day and evening. Two-for-one tickets are available at any Bunning Florist in South Florida . . . Here are alternative routes to the tournament, rather than exiting I-95 at Glades Road: Exit I-95 at Palmetto Park Road, go west to Powerline Road, go north to parking area; Exit I-95 at Yamato Road, go west to Powerline, go south to parking; Exit at Florida's Turnpike at Boca Raton, follow signs. For ticket information, call 483-2200.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #77

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

SOOTHSAYERS SEE LIPTON IN THE BAG FOR EVERT, LENDL
Sun-Sentinel
Monday, February 10, 1986
Jim Sarni

Chris Evert Lloyd and Ivan Lendl will win the Lipton International Players Championships. It`s in the tea leaves.

Renowned psychics Leah Lusher of Fort Lauderdale and Craig Davis of Scotland made the fearless predictions after a round of astropsychic analysis, palm-reading and tea-leaf interpretation.

Evert and Wendy Turnbull participated in the mystical adventures. Lendl and Boris Becker rejected invitations. Nevertheless, Lusher received some psychic impressions about them and other top players.

Evert let Davis read her palm and Lusher tell her fortune with cards, Egyptian charts and runes, symbolic stones used by the Vikings.

"Chris is very spiritual," said Lusher, 57, who gained acclaim when she won the 1982 National Enquirer predictions contest. "That`s very unusual for an athlete."

Evert had a spot of tea (Lipton, of course) and saw some interesting patterns in the leaves in the bottom of her cup. The number 12, a ladybug and a ladder were discernible.

"The ladybug is a sign of luck, and the ladder means Chris is climbing toward success," Davis said. "The 12 could be a number of tournaments or a date. I don`t know. But the number 12 will mean something to her this year. It will be good. With the ladybug, this is a successful time in her life."

Lusher feels certain Evert can defeat her nemesis, Martina Navratilova, and reclaim the crown in women`s tennis.

"Chris wants to beat Martina, and she can do it, but her focus sometimes fails," Lusher said. "Chris is the stronger of the two, but she loses her perseverance at the end. She has to pursue her goal until the end."

Lusher says that Navratilova`s supremacy is part body language: "Chris has to block out the influence of that show, and then she can defeat Martina."

Underneath her imposing front, Navratilova is weak, Lusher says. "Martina is an aggressive, self-assured phony," she said. "Deep inside, she is full of fears and hesitations."

Lusher consulted Egyptian reincarnation charts to reveal that Navratilova was a man in her past life, and Evert was a woman. Lusher believes that Martina was a 14th-century Italian inventor in her past life.

"He was an introvert and a loner, involved in deep reflection," Lusher said. "He loved things simple. In her past life, Martina led a very sedentary existence. That`s why she`s always on the go now."

Lusher said Evert was an Indian maiden in her past life and has no problems with her femininity.

Lusher and Davis predicted that Evert would be happy in her marriage to John Lloyd and that the couple would have a child in two to four years. Both said the baby would be a boy.

After her tennis career, Davis said, Evert will continue to be a success in the world of entertainment.

"I hope they`re right," Evert said. "Now if I can only figure out what the 12 means."
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #78

BECKER, GRAF WIN IN LIPTON - FERNANDEZ'S DEBUT A SUCCESS
The Miami Herald
JIM MARTZ

Andrea Jaeger was $500 poorer, Mary Joe Fernandez was $2,000 richer and West Germans Boris Becker and Steffi Graf were counting their blessings after shaky starts Monday on the first day of the $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships at Boca West.

Remember Jaeger, the No. 3 player in the world three years ago who became a veterinary student 18 months ago? Now she's No. 114 on the computer rankings, she's chunkier and struggling to make a comeback.

In her first tournament match since surgery to remove cysts
from under her arm last September, she lost to Ann Henricksson, 6-7 (6-8), 6-2, 6-2, then exited in a huff and refused to attend her post-match news conference.

That means Jaeger, who has won $1.3 million on the tour, is subject to losing some pocket change, a $500 fine by the Women's Tennis Association.

"I couldn't hit a serve after the second set and my mind was not on the game," said Jaeger in a statement issued by the WTA.

Fernandez, a 14-year-old Miamian who reached the fourth round of the Lipton last year, insisted her mind was on winning, not money, as she captured her first match since turning pro last Tuesday, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, over 18-year-old Czech Andrea Holikova.

By winning, Fernandez was assured of earning $2,000 even if she loses in the second round to fifth-seeded Bonnie Gadusek, who is eager to avenge "my worst loss last year," in the second round at the Lipton to Fernandez. But don't expect to see Fernandez on a spending spree soon.

"I'm happier, but it's no big deal," she said. "I have no plans to spend the money. I just wanted to go out and play my game."

Fourth-seeded Becker, playing his first match in three weeks, struggled past 246th-ranked Tom Nijssen of Holland, 6-3, 7-5, in the feature night match before 7,453 fans. The day session drew 5,078 for a total attendance of 12,531.

"It doesn't matter who you play, every match is tough," said Becker. "On some shots I wasn't in the right position to play but ball, but I really didn't have a weakness. I went to Monte Carlo for two weeks after the Masters, then practice here the last few days to get used to the heat."

For more than a set, 16-year-old Graf played as if she'd left all her good shots on the courts at Key Biscayne a week ago, where she reached the final of the Virginia Slims of Florida against Chris Evert Lloyd. Then she changed tactics by working to the net more often and posted a 1-6, 7-5, 6-1 victory over 16-year-old Californian Melissa Gurney.

"I was thinking I'd already won the match before I played," said Graf. "Everything was going wrong. Then I improved when I started to come to the net at 2-all in the second set."

Normally mild-mannered Scott Davis, runner-up to Tim Mayotte in the Lipton men's final a year ago and the 16th seed, lost his cool and his match with Wolfgang Popp of West Germany, 6-3, 3-6, 7-5. Davis, upset at several line calls and overrulings by the umpire, slammed his racket in disgust late in the match.

"Every four or five points I had to turn around and say, 'What's going on here?' " said Davis.

Jimmy Arias, the 17th seed, shrugged off flu that kept him bedridden the last two days and whipped Carlos Kirmayr of Brazil, 6-2, 6-2.

Among women's seeds, No. 4 Manuela Maleeva overcame Miami's Laura Gildemeister, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1; and No. 5 Gadusek, No. 6 Zina Garrison and No. 7 Helena Sukova won in straight sets.

Harold Solomon, the 33-year-old from Fort Lauderdale who semi-retired 18 months ago, has improved from No. 186 to 108. And he showed why in defeating Russell Simpson, 6-4, 6-4.

In other matches involving South Florida players, Bettina Bunge trounced Emilse Raponi-Longo of Argentina, 6-0, 6-1; Tim Gullikson, who lives only a few lob shots away at Boca West, surprised the 27th seed, Heinz Gunthardt of Switzerland, 7-6 (9-7), 7-6 (7-2); Kim Sands lost to Myriam Schropp of West Germany, 7-5, 7-6 (7-5); and Craig Campbell lost to Robert Green, 6-4, 6-2.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #79

LIPC: YOU CAN SEE ITS FUTURE IN THE PRESENT TENTS
Sun-Sentinel
Steve Hummer

Opening day at tennis` tent city. It is a bivouac in paradise, the beginning of the great corporate camp-out.

In the distance, big first serves roar like siege guns. Battles rage at 11 sites, and there is always the question in these first days of the Lipton International Players Championships of where you stand.

You might choose the comfort of the stadium court on this Monday morning, except that Catarina Lindqvist is making Eva Pfaff go pfiff.

Let`s hustle over to Court 6, where Pavel Slozil and Tarik Benhabiles are trying to whack the ball out of round. Puff. Gasp. It`s a bit of a walk, but worth it, to see nearly every letter of the alphabet represented.

Court 5 catches your attention, because between Iva Budarova and Neige Dias, they have one unbraced leg between them. There must be risks here, although playing tennis always seemed as safe as reading about it.

Because of the layout, watching several matches at once is possible but not recommended. Tournament father Butch Buchholz did not plan for the resulting whiplash. There is not one neck brace concession on the grounds.

Quickly to the Grandstand Court, where Ann Henricksson is beating Andrea Jaeger, who used to be famous. It is an upset in name recognition only, Jaeger having ignored one too many salad bar.

Turn around and on Court 1, there is Mary Joe Fernandez, a 14-year-old swizzle stick with braces, winning her professional debut. Unsmiling, intense, sweat grabbing at her shirt. As serious as a Swedish movie.

Meanwhile, back at the Stadium, Tim Gullikson and Heinz Gunthardt keep playing tiebreakers, as if they could collect overtime. . . .

Please, no more. Timeout. And it`s only the first session.

It is impossible to drink in all the tennis that goes into the LIPC. You get drunk on the sport in one day, and there are 13 more coming.

With singles and all genders of doubles, there are scheduled 411 matches over the next two weeks. That is an overload along the lines of trying to fit Shamu into a European suit.

Over a full NFL season, playoff and Super Bowl included, there are only 233 games.

To get this many options, you usually must have a satellite dish in your back yard.

So LIPC`s fringes go unnoticed. We must accept on faith that Pascale Paradis lost Monday to Raffaella Reggi. Details are not forthcoming.

All of it has been shoehorned into Boca West, already bulging. This is a tournament of great aspirations, all unrooted. From Laver`s to here, where residents fear inconvenience and intrusion. Next year to Weston, on the western frontier of Fort Lauderdale.

"I see it 10 years down the road being one of the major events," said wise Harold Solomon, a winner Monday. Tournaments grow slower than trees. This one won`t grow at all until they take the wheels off it.

The men may speak for LIPC this year, carrying the competition in a tournament designed to benefit the two players` associations. Nine of their top 10 are playing. Three of the top five women are missing, including last year`s champion, Martina Navratilova. The absences were reversed a year ago.

If they ever get together, this could be a dangerous tournament. Now it is a remarkable one in its ability to mushroom from nothing.

This is a tournament of mulch over sand, there being no time to grow grass. All the landscaping is still in its original pot.

Temporary bleachers and Port-o-lets keep the LIPC going. Hammer was striking steel at the stadium while the first match was going. This kind of frantic groundwork usually would lead to Bruce Springstein, not a tennis tournament.

Then there are the tents. They can make tents do anything here, make canvas and a few poles sound like Worth Avenue.

There is a tent here called the President`s Marquee. Another is titled Shops Internationale, adhering to the theory that an "e" at the end of any word makes it worth at least $5 more.

A sponsoring investment firm has a tent that is a "Financial Center and Hospitality Tent." Business most certainly comes before pleasure. I want to party with those cowboys.

These nomads have built a little city of tents, self-sustaining as long as the quiche holds out.

On the grounds, you may have a sandwich, buy a car, a condominium, a new wardrobe of sportswear, a cruise, an IRA. It is possible to spend $10 on a ticket and another $200,000 once you`re in the place.

Got to go. Big noises coming from the Steffi Graf match; and above all else here, one is required to watch tennis to the point of blindness.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #80

WUNDERKINDS WEST GERMANS BECKER, GRAF INVADING TENNIS` TOP RANKS
Sun-Sentinel
Jim Sarni

Time: February, 1985.

Place: Laver`s International Resort, Delray Beach.

In a hotel room, two foreign teen-agers, a boy and a girl, are playing backgammon to pass the time. Tomorrow, they will be playing tennis as the inaugural Lipton International Players Championships begin.

The boy will meet Joey Rive, a local qualifier from West Palm Beach. The girl will oppose Sylvia Hanika, the 16th seed.

They will walk unnoticed through the crowds to their designated courts, just two West Germans out of 256 players in the tournament. Few tennis fans know Steffi Graf; fewer have heard of Boris Becker.

Time: February, 1986.

Place: Boca West.

Boris Becker, 18, and Steffi Graf, 16, are no longer two faceless kids from West Germany playing in the LIPC. They cannot stroll through the crowds this year, pause for an ice cream, linger and watch a match on the outside courts.

Boris and Steffi, in 12 months, have become stars. They belong to tennis` elite now, known by their first names alone like Chris and Jimmy, Ivan and Martina.

Boris, of course, is the Wimbledon champion, the youngest in history. In the last remarkable year, he has vaulted from No. 65 to No. 5 in the world. He is seeded third behind Ivan Lendl and Mats Wilander at the LIPC.

Steffi is no meteor. She has no major championships, no tournament titles amid the Martina-Chris Dynasty, but she has climbed steadily from No. 22 last year to No. 4. She is seeded second behind Chris Evert Lloyd at the LIPC.

Becker and Graf didn`t get this good by eating lots of sauerkraut. The West Germans are both prodigies. Becker reached the quarterfinals of the Australian Open weeks after his 16th birthday. Graf, at age 13, was the youngest player ever to be ranked on the Women`s Tennis Association computer, and she won an Olympic gold medal in 1984.

Both were headed for the Top 10. As it turned out, much quicker than anyone could have expected.

"A year ago I was nobody," Becker said. "Winning Wimbledon was like falling into cold water."

"I never thought about getting this far so fast," said Graf, who made her biggest strides with semifinal showings at the LIPC and the U.S. Open last year. "It was an unbelievable year for me."

Graf, at least, can breathe without drawing a crowd. Winning Wimbledon has changed Becker`s life forever.

"I`ve become pretty famous," Becker said. "I thought all the Wimbledon attention would last maybe three or four weeks. I didn`t know Wimbledon was that big. It`s difficult to live, compared to what I lived before. But it`s the price I have to pay."

The strawberry-haired tennis player with the country boy smile has become incorporated. Becker, Inc., handles the burgeoning empire. It is estimated that Becker grossed $3 million from tennis and endorsements in 1985.

Obtaining a personal interview with Becker is harder than getting an audience with the Pope, which Boris was able to do last year (the tennis star offered to give the Holy Father lessons).

In contrast, Graf is accessible. She was a frequent visitor to the Virginia Slims of Florida press tent in Key Biscayne before and after matches, eating dinner at a table filled with writers filing their daily stories.

Graf can relax a little in America. In Europe, she is nearly as popular as Becker.

"If I go swimming back home, everyone comes into the pool after me," Graf said.

Becker cannot relax anywhere.

"I bought me a nice little hat and glasses, and if I don`t want to be recognized, I wear them," Becker said.

Becker and Graf both come from tennis families. But while Karl-Heinz Becker has put his son`s career in the experienced hands of Ion Tiriac and Guenther Bosch, Peter Graf commands his daughter`s life.

Peter Graf has been compared to Roland Jaeger, the dominating father of Andrea Jaeger, who burst on the scene at a tender age and burned out with injuries and ennui at 19.

But that may be an unfair comparison. Peter Graf, unlike ex-boxer Roland Jaeger, is a former tennis player (Top 30 in West Germany) whose career was ended prematurely by injuries. He retired to run a tennis center in Bruehl.

"The difference between Roland and Peter is that Roland was a typical tennis parent who pushed his daughter because he wanted her to succeed. Peter and Steffi share the same goal," said one tennis insider.

"When I came home from work, Steffi would be there with her racket," her father remembers. "She was only four but she would plead with me `Papa, papa, play with me.` I was tired but I would play with her for five minutes. It was unbelievable how good she was. Her eye-hand coordination. I knew she was special."

Peter Graf says he has put no pressure on his daughter.

"Steffi is a normal girl but tennis is the most important thing to her," Graf said. "She`s never had pressure. This is what she wants to do."

The Steffi Graf story is the Chris Evert fable in German: Father knows best.

Boris Becker, meanwhile, has taken the high road to glory. His teacher is Tiriac, one of the game`s most powerful and imposing figures.

A 46-year-old Rumanian who played 17 years on the tour and has guided the careers of Ilie Nastase, Adriano Panatta, Henri Leconte, and, most notably, Guillermo Vilas, Tiriac learned about Becker from his boyhood friend Bosch, who was the coach of the West German Tennis Federation.

Bosch told Tiriac: I`ve got a kid for you. Tiriac watched Becker play in Monte Carlo and had Vilas hit with the teen-ager. Vilas said: We`ve got to sign this kid.

Tiriac made a deal with the Beckers, guaranteeing the family an unspecified amount (reported to be $250,000) to oversee Boris` career. Tiriac persuaded the Beckers that their son would not reach his potential if he stayed in West Germany.

"It was obvious to me that if he stayed in that program, with all due respect to the German federation, he would finish in another two years as just another German player," Tiriac wrote in World Tennis.

Tiriac runs the business of Boris Becker, but he wisely has let Bosch handle the coaching. That`s not to say there isn`t some overlapping of duties. Tiriac sits in the stands with Bosch during Becker`s matches and gets warned for illegal coaching.

"I think Becker views Tiriac as a difficult man," said Wojtek Fibak, Ivan Lendl`s early mentor. "He obeys Tiriac but he wants the paternal figure of Bosch around. He can complain to Bosch, scream at him, ignore him and at the same time be open with him, get his understanding and approval as he could never get them from Tiriac. Tiriac realizes this and doesn`t intrude. He doesn`t even try to dominate this relationship as he did with Vilas, and that`s a smart decision."

"It is like I have three fathers," Becker said. "My own, my coach and my manager."

West Germany has produced more good women players than men in recent years. Bettina Bunge, Sylvia Hanika and Claudia Kohde-Kilsch all reached the top 10 before Graf came along.

But it wasn`t until Becker boomed that tennis hit big in West Germany. Women`s sports make a minor impact in Europe.

"Becker`s rise heightened the popularity of tennis in West Germany and increased the awareness of women`s tennis," said Phil dePicciotto of Advantage International, the firm that represents Graf.

Becker was good for Graf in another way.

"Back home, Boris has taken the pressure off Steffi," dePicciotto said. "Boris is so much in demand that he`s diverted attention from Steffi. He`s the sport in West Germany."

"Because of Becker, Steffi had quiet to practice," said Peter Graf.

But when Becker was ousted from the U.S. Open by Joakim Nystrom, the huge West German press contingent quickly shifted its attention to Graf, who responded by upsetting Pam Shriver and gaining the semifinals.

Graf became the national heroine. She had to take the phone off the hook when she got home. Things got so bad that Graf arrived in Fort Lauderdale last September, a week early for the Lynda Carter/Maybelline Classic, "to get away from the German press."

Judged by their rankings, Graf (4) is higher among her peers than Becker (5). Becker`s sole claim to fame is Wimbledon. He has not won any other Grand Slam titles.

Many people forget that Becker won Wimbledon without having to face McEnroe, Connors or Lendl.

"Under the right circumstances, Steffi could win a major too," dePicciotto said. "But she`s always had to play Chris or Martina. At Wimbledon, the draw was in Becker`s favor. The roles could easily have been reversed. Winning a major is such an opportunity."

Peter Graf knows the titles will come. Slowly but surely is his motto.

"I`ve learned from the Americans that it is better to go step-by-step than -- wheet," said Graf, alluding to the brief glories of Austin and Jaeger. "The most important thing is that Steffi has the right style. She is working on her game and getting better. She is very disciplined but she needs two more years. It`s possible that she can beat Hana Mandlikova (ranked No. 3) this year. But she can`t beat Chris or Martina yet."

"Steffi is better than everybody accept Chris or Martina," said Becker, who is proud of his countrygirl. "But they will have to stop playing before she can be No. 1."

Becker is better than anyone except Ivan Lendl and John McEnroe these days. He has beaten Mats Wilander, ranked ahead of him, convincingly in recent matches. With McEnroe off on hiatus for two months, the game belongs to Lendl and Becker.

"Boris has time," Lendl said. "He`s only 18. He can wait a little bit. I had to wait until I was 25 before I became No. 1."

Tiriac says that Becker needs a few more years to improve his footwork and his volley.

Tiriac says that the unexpected triumph at Wimbledon has not altered the basic Becker program.

"Those two weeks are gone," Tiriac said in Penthouse (yes, every magazine wants Becker). "We just have to go on. All of the victories, all of the money, they are just numbers. They don`t mean anything."

Time: Soon.

Place: The Wimbledon ball.

The men`s champion is dancing with the women`s champion, as is the tradition. He turns to her, smiles and says "danke schoen."
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #81

FERNANDEZ IS LIPTON`S PRIZE PUPIL
Sun-Sentinel
Jim Sarni

Mary Joe Fernandez brought her purse and her racket to the Lipton International Players Championships this year.

The Miami schoolgirl, 14, plays not just for fun but for profit now, and Monday she lit up the scoreboard and rang the cash register.

Fernandez defeated Andrea Holikova 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 and collected $2,000 for reaching the round of 64.

Fernandez wasn`t seeing dollar signs, though.

"I`m not thinking of prize money," she said. "I`m not thinking of being a pro. I feel the same as I did last year."

Last year as a 13-year-old junior, Fernandez won three matches before losing to Hana Mandlikova. Along the way she upset Bonnie Gadusek, and as fate would have it, Fernandez drew Gadusek, the fifth seed, in her next match Wednesday or Thursday.

"I just have to play my game and hope it works out as it did last year," Fernandez said.

Gadusek wants Fernandez.

"The loss to Mary Joe here was my worst loss of the year, and it was difficult to live with," said Gadusek, who eliminated Mima Jausovec 6-1, 6-0 Monday.

Gadusek was one of eight women`s seeds who won Monday. On the men`s side, 16th-seeded Scott Davis, last year`s runnerup, lost to Wolfgang Popp 6-3, 3-6, 7-5.

"I`m happy I`m getting a chance for revenge," Gadusek said. "I`ve thought about last year`s match a lot. I wasn`t prepared for such a tough match from Mary Joe. Half of Miami was here rooting her on, and that caught me off guard, too.

"I`ll be ready for anything this time. I`ve wanted to play Fernandez anywhere."

As Fernandez left Court 1 Monday she passed Harold Solomon, who was to play his first-round match against Russell Simpson.

South Florida`s tennis future and South Florida`s tennis past.

Solomon, 33, plays for fun and profit, too, but mostly fun, and the former Top 10 hero had a good time, beating Russell Simpson 6-4, 6-4.

"There was a time when I wanted to get as high in the rankings as I could," Solomon said. "Now my family is my focal point and tennis comes second, although it`s still important."

Solomon has seen a lot of young players fall prey to the pressures of the game. He thinks Fernandez is on solid ground.

"She seems to be a pretty well-adjusted kid," Solomon said. "It`s an individual thing. Chris at 15 had the mind of a 40-year-old woman. And I`ve seen guys who are 24 and act like they`re 12. The player`s family background is the main thing. They have to approach it in the proper manner."

Fernandez is treating tennis like a high school elective.

"The girls who burned out played too much," she said. "I`m not going to do that. I don`t want my life to be all tennis. Ten tournaments are enough. I have to go to school."
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #82

LENDL SURVIVES BATTLE WITH BIG SERVER
Lexington Herald-Leader
Wednesday, February 12, 1986
Associated Press

BOCA RATON, Fla. - Top-seeded Ivan Lendl escaped a hard-serving battle with John Sadri with a 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 victory, winning the tense tiebreaker 8-6, to advance to the second round of the $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships tennis tournament yesterday.

But Pam Shriver, the No. 3 women's seed, wasn't so lucky. She lost to Kate Gompert 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 after a mysterious third-set collapse. Shriver led 4-1, 40-15 before falling apart in the last set.

"I'm still kind of in shock," Shriver said after the match. "I'm still wondering what happened.

"Maybe at 4-1 I assumed I had won it and I kind of let up. And she's a scrappy player and she took advantage of it."

Gompert is ranked 24th in the world.

In men's action, No. 15 Andres Gomez of Ecuador beat Emilio Sanchez of Spain 6-7, 6-3, 6-4; No. 19 Thierry Tulasne of France ousted Sammy Giammalva 7-5, 4-6, 6-3; and No. 25 Peter Lundgren of Sweden defeated Jeremy Bates of Great Britain 6-3, 6-0.

Lendl appeared to be the exception to the tough first-match rule here on the hard courts at Boca West when he cruised through the first set against Sadri. But his first-round match wasn't destined to be an easy one.

Sadri, riding his big serve, began to blast his service in the second set. Lendl couldn't make a dent in Sadri's serve, and he lost his own in the eighth game to allow Sadri to even the match at one set each.

In the third set, the power serviing exhibition from both players continued until Sadri broke the world's top-ranked player in the seventh game. But Lendl broke right back in a long eighth game that went to deuce three times.

They held serve the rest of the way to force the deciding tiebreaker.

Lendl appeared in control again when he won the first five points of the tiebreaker. He even had two match points at 6-3 and 6-4, but Sadri kept fighting back.

Finally, Lendl won with two passing shots, one a backhand and the other a forehand.

The day's biggest upset was the 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 victory by Chile's Ricardo Acuna over 12th-seeded Paul Annacone.

In other men's play, ninth-seeded Kevin Curren beat Martin Wostenholme of Canada 6-4, 6-2, 21st-seeded Jan Gunnarsson of Sweden topped Roberto Saad of Argentina 7-5, 6-3, and 22nd-seeded Matt Anger topped Francisco Maciel of Mexico 7-6, 6-1.

In women's play, ninth-seeded Kathy Rinaldi whipped Lilian Drescher of Switzerland 6-1, 6-0 and 12th-seeded Carling Bassett of Canada rebounded from a poor start to down Akiko Kijimuta of Japan 7-5, 6-3.

Bassett trailed 5-1 in the first set and 3-1 in the second set of her victory.

"I was very lucky to win the first set," Bassett said. "I played her a couple of years ago and I beat her easily.

"But after a while a beared down and I really started getting into the match. On the big points, I played well."
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #83

TOP SEEDS STRUGGLE IN LIPTON
The Miami Herald
JIM MARTZ

The flu bug, swirling winds and a couple of pesky opponents combined to make life miserable Tuesday for top seeds Ivan Lendl and Chris Evert Lloyd in their opening matches at the $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships.

John Sadri, ranked 43rd, led Lendl, 4-3, in the third set and had game point on his serve. But Lendl escaped with a 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6) victory.

In another afternoon match at Boca West, Evert struggled to put away 15-year-old amateur Susan Sloane, 6-4, 6-4.

Flu and wind weren't factors when the sun went down, but upstarts continued to create havoc for top seeds. Jay Berger, a Clemson University sophomore from Plantation who is ranked 252nd, gave sixth-seeded Yannick Noah a severe test before bowing, 4-6, 6-1, 6-3, in a rematch of their U.S. Open round of 16 four-set match won by Noah.

Third-seeded Pam Shriver squandered a 4-1 lead in the third set and lost to 24th-ranked Kate Gompert, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4. Eighth- seeded Gabriela Sabatini, an Argentine living on Key Biscayne, survived a couple of shaky moments to beat Betsy Nagelsen, 6-4, 6-2.

Attendance, based on tickets sold, was 6,332 for the day session and 6,732 for the night session.

"I wasn't pleased with the way I hit the ball at Philadelphia two weeks ago," said Lendl, who nevertheless won the U.S. Pro Indoor title there. "I'm hitting much better now. The sun has helped me. I left the (flu) bug behind me. It's taking it's toll and takes time."

In the tiebreaker, Lendl jumped to a 5-0 lead, but Sadri refused to fold and fought back to 6-6 while saving three match points. Lendl won the next two points to win the match on similar forehand passing shots that left Sadri flatfooted at the net.

"I felt he choked a little," Lendl said of the game Sadri lost when serving at 4-3. "He missed four first serves in a row at deuce. That put a lot of pressure on him and I tried not to make errors then."

Sadri did not show up for the post-match press conference and faces a possible $1,000 fine by the Men's International Professional Tennis Council.

Evert didn't look as sharp as she had in sailing through the Virginia Slims of Florida on Key Biscayne a week ago. She made more unforced errors and her serve wasn't as consistent.

"I think I was due for a match like this," said Evert. "I didn't practice much last week because of the flu, and I'm not 100 percent now. I'm clogged up and can't breathe through my nose. All the girls on the tour have had it and I can't shake it off."

Berger, the national 18-and-under champion last summer who has been plagued by injuries (shoulder, knee) much of his career, was playing his first match in a pro tournament since the U.S. Open.

Shriver said she planned to skip this tournament because she needed a rest, but changed her mind to help strengthen a field that lacks Martina Navratilova and Hana Mandlikova.

"Once I decided to play I was going full steam," Shriver said. "I came down here 12 days early to get ready . . . It (the loss) was a combination of both Kate playing well and myself playing poorly. Playing at night is an equalizer."

Maybe towering height is an equalizer, too. Michiel Schapers, a 6-7 native of the Netherlands who is one of the tallest players on the circuit and is ranked 99th, slam dunked 11th-seeded Johan Kriek, 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 7-5.

The tallest on the tour, 6-8 Milan Srejber of Czechoslovakia, will play today against Michael Westphal of West Germany.

In matches involving South Florida players, ninth-seeded Kathy Rinaldi of Martin Downs trounced Lilian Drescher, 6-1, 6-0; Penny Barg outlasted Barbara Gerken, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4; and Dan Cassidy lost to Christo Van Rensburg, 6-3, 6-1.

Lisa Bonder was forced to retire from her match against Claudia Montiero of Brazil because of stomach pains and was taken to an area hospital. Bonder had been recovering from a slight case of mononucleosis and torn ligaments in her right ankle.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #84

LIPTON SERVES MORE THRILLS LENDL BATTLES, SHRIVER FALLS IN FIRST ROUND
Sun-Sentinel
Jim Sarni

Is the Lipton International Players Championships a tennis tournament or an Indiana Jones movie?

The LIPC has been filled with more thrills and spills than an afternoon at the cinema.

On opening day, Steffi Graf and Manuela Maleeva lost opening sets before fighting back, Boris Becker had a hard time with an unknown Dutchman and Scott Davis, last year`s runnerup, went (Wolfgang) Popp.

Tuesday, the pace picked up.

Top-seeded Ivan Lendl survived John Sadri in a third-set tiebreaker, Kate Gompert gobbled up third-seeded Pam Shriver and Plantation`s Jay Berger gave Yannick Noah a roller-coaster ride before falling off in the third set.

And there was more adventure.

Carling Bassett fell behind 5-1 before she rallied to beat Akiko Kijimuta.

Ricardo Acuna knocked off Paul Annacone in a third-set tiebreaker.

A 15-year-old Kentuckian named Susan Sloane won eight games from Chris Evert Lloyd.

Ros Fairbank upset Wendy Turnbull and Michiel Schapers stunned Johan Kriek.

The LIPC, fraught with upsets in its inaugural year, is at it again. This is one tournament you don`t turn your back on.

"Everyone`s stunned," said Gompert, 23, a lefthanded former Stanford All-America, who rallied from 1-4, 15-40 in the final set to win 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.

"I`m not. I believe I can beat anyone on a given day. All I remember was that I was losing 4-1 in the third and then all of a sudden I won."

"I`m in shock," Shriver said. "I`m wondering how I lost. I should be in here discussing how I won 6-1 in the third set."

Shriver did not plan to play the LIPC but entered at the request of the WTA which needed two of the Top 4 and only had Chris Evert Lloyd when Martina Navratilova and Hana Mandlikova declined to play.

"It`s interesting but I have no regrets," Shriver said. "I spent 12 days getting ready for the tournament. Now I have 12 days to twiddle my thumbs and play doubles."

Lendl nearly joined Shriver on the sidelines but he overcame Sadri, who was up a break in the third set, 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6).

"It was good that I fought hard and won," Lendl said. "But it was bad that I didn`t play as well as I hoped to. I`m not pleased winning 7-6 in the third but it beats losing 7-6 in the third."

Sadri, 29, who had beaten Lendl twice in five tries, shoved Lendl to the edge of the cliff when he broke the Czech for a 4-3 lead in the final set.

But Lendl got the break right back and the match went to a tiebreaker.

"He choked a little bit at 4-3," Lendl said. "At 15-30, he missed a high backhand volley he should never miss and then he couldn`t get four first serves in a row in. I played a little bit better than average to break back and he played a little bit worse."

Lendl led 5-0 in the tiebreaker, but Sadri saved three match points and evened the score 6-6. Lendl hit two forehand passing shots to survive.

"The points go quickly in a tiebreaker," Lendl said. "He hit two good points at 5-0 and two more good points at 6-3. It`s 6-5 and I came in on (a) nothing (shot) and didn`t get it.

"He`s beaten me before so I wasn`t looking past him. I would have been crazy to. The conditions were difficult, the wind was tough. I just had to hang in there."

Berger, a sophomore at Clemson, took a set off Noah during his summer fun at the U.S. Open in September.

Berger, who hadn`t played a pro match since, won the first set Tuesday and had the hometown fans rooting for an upset.

But then Noah played like the No. 6 seed he is and sent Berger back to college with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 defeat.

"I wasn`t too happy when I found out I had to play Noah," said Berger, a wild card in the draw. "I hit the ball well but my serve let me down. I lost my concentration, too. I`ve been out of competition for awhile."

"We had a close match at the Open and I knew he would be tough," said Noah, who faces another test of perserverance against Harold Solomon today.

The LIPC is only two days old. Jimmy Connors, Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg have yet to step on the court.

A word of caution to the three who play today: fasten your seat belts.

LIPC DAY 3: TOP MATCHES

Mary Joe Fernandez vs. Bonnie Gadusek (Stadium, 1st match, day session): Fernandez humbled Gadusek here last year and Gadusek wants revenge. Bad.

Tim Mayotte vs. Leif Shiras (Stadium, 3rd match, day session): The defending champion will try to play with pulled stomach muscles.

Brad Gilbert vs. Diego Perez (Court 2, 5th match, day session): Gilbert has been the second-best player in the world this winter.

Harold Solomon vs. Yannick Noah (Grandstand, 5th match, day session): A tall task for little Solly.

Jimmy Connors vs. Steve Denton (Stadium, 1st match, night session): Denton is a dangerous first-round opponent for Connors.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #85

SHAEFER TO BREAK FOR MOTHERHOOD
Sun-Sentinel
Jim Sarni

Kim Shaefer is trading her racket for a rattle.

The vice-president of the Women`s Tennis Association is taking a maternity leave after the Lipton International Players Championships to have her first child.

Shaefer, 4 1/2 months pregnant, played her final singles match Tuesday, losing to Katerina Skronska 4-6, 7-5, 6-4.

"I didn`t have the conditioning at the end," said Shaefer, 28, who had two match points in the second set. "I should have quit two weeks ago. I`m glad I`m off the court."

Shaefer hopes to return to the tour after the child is born.

"If I can travel with the baby, I`ll play again," she said. "The men do it all the time, but they don`t have to bear the child."

Shaefer said the reaction of the women pros has been mixed.

"Some players aren`t sure they want a baby in the locker room," she said.

Sometimes it pays to have a connecting flight in Atlanta.

Stephan Bonneau was in Atlanta, on a plane headed down the runway for its takeoff to Montreal, when he learned that he was a "lucky loser" at Boca West.

Bonneau had lost his final qualifying match and was on his way home when Pedro Rebolledo pulled out with an injury. As the highest-ranked player among the losers, Bonneau was entitled to his place.

When the LIPC officials couldn`t find the Canadian on the grounds, they tracked him down at the Atlanta airport. The pilot turned the plane around and brought Bonneau back to the gate while the passengers, once they knew the situation, cheered.

Bonneau lost to Glenn Layendecker 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 Tuesday, but at least he earned $1,000 for his troubles.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #86

EVERT LLOYD STRUGGLES BY SLOANE
The Wichita Eagle
ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOCA RATON, Fla. - Despite a stopped-up nose and an ineffective serve, top-seeded Chris Evert Lloyd held off scrappy 15-year-old Susan Sloane 6-4, 6-4 Tuesday afternoon in the first round of the $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships tennis tournament.

Czechoslovakia's Ivan Lendl, the men's top seed, played American John Sadri later Tuesday in his first-round match.

Lloyd broke her young opponent in the first game of the match, then started struggling on her own serve. Sloane broke to even the match at 1-1 and pulled ahead briefly at 2-1.

But even with a weak serve, Lloyd was too consistent for Sloane, winning the next three games to take control.

''I didn't practice that much last week because I came down with the flu," Lloyd said in explaining her play a week after she had dominated the field in the Virginia Slims of Florida. "I'm not completely healthy yet. I can't breath through my nose."

But Lloyd said her illness wasn't the only reason she struggled.

''She played very well and I made a lot of errors. I was just a lot below par. Hopefully, I can get better with each match."

Sloane, who nearly whiffed at Lloyd's first serve, admitted she was a little nervous about playing the No. 2 player in the world.

''I just wanted to play the best I could. I had nothing to lose," the Lexington, Ky., resident said. "I thought that I played well on the whole. And I've never seen her miss that many serves."

THE LLOYD-SLOANE match followed the day's biggest upset, the 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5) victory by Chile's Ricardo Acuna over 12th-seeded American Paul Annacone. In other men's play, ninth-seeded Kevin Curren beat Martin Wostenholme of Canada 6-4, 6-2, 21st-seeded Jan Gunnarsson of Sweden topped Roberto Saad of Argentina 7-5, 6-3, and 22nd-seeded Matt Anger topped Francisco Maciel of Mexico 7-6 (7-2), 6-1.

In women's play, ninth-seeded Kathy Rinaldi whipped Lilian Drescher of Switzerland 6-1, 6-0 and 12th-seeded Carling Bassett of Canada rebounded from a poor start to down Akiko Kijimuta of Japan 7-5, 6-3.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #87

THERE'S MORE TO TOURNEY THAN TENNIS
The Miami Herald
Thursday, February 13, 1986
RENEE GRAHAM

There's more to the Lipton International Players Championships than watching tanned and toned athletes whack the nap off a tennis ball from daybreak to dusk.

Food, fashion and fun were also in abundance Wednesday as the two-week tennis tournament slid into its third day at Boca West in suburban Boca Raton. And, of course, there was plenty of tennis, too, if anyone noticed.

"Well, I like tennis enough, but that's only half the reason I'm out here," said Barbara Schoffer, whose goal of the day was to deepen an already crisp tan. "This isn't just a tourney; it's a social event and you cheat yourself if you spend all your time watching that ball bouncing back and forth over the net."

This is the $1.8 million tournament's second year and the first at the posh Boca Raton resort on Glades Road. Last year's event, at Laver's International Tennis Resort in Delray Beach, attracted more than 175,000 people.

An equal, if not greater, turnout is expected before the contest concludes Feb. 23. But with that number in attendance, there are bound to be some problems.

For instance, the concession stands, offering everything
from nachos with jalapeno cheese to croissant sandwiches, went dry Tuesday.

They ran out of Lipton tea.

For some, the tournament is offering a firsthand look at some of the tennis world's finest -- Chris Evert Lloyd, Ivan Lendl, Jimmy Connors and Germany's Wimbledon wunderkind, Boris Becker.

"It's just great to have this kind of talent practically on our doorsteps," said Frank Xaviera, a self-proclaimed "tennis fanatic" right down to the tiny gold tennis racket dangling from his left ear. "This is truly a delight and I'd love to see this here every year."

Away from the courts, others were content to garner face time, the art of being seen at the right place, at the right time and with the right people.

Jane Tawney, a recent transplant to Boca Raton from Massachusetts, spent most of her afternoon posing for pictures with friends and accepting compliments from strangers impressed with her sporty attire.

To celebrate her first South Florida tennis tournament, she wore $60 tennis sneakers, a $20 sun visor and a $150 white and blue tennis outfit bought specifically for the event.

But Tawney quickly admitted that knowing John McEnroe as "the player who dates Ryan O'Neal's daughter (Tatum)," encompasses the extent of her tennis knowledge.

"So I'm not a tennis expert. Who cares?" she said.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #88

GADUSEK GETS REVENGE
The Miami Herald
DAVE HYDE

This time was different. This time the match wasn't played at night when, as Bonnie Gadusek recalled, "half of Miami showed up" to cheer hometown favorite Mary Joe Fernandez.

This time Gadusek didn't suffer through "my worst loss of the year" as she did at the 1985 Lipton International Players Championships.

This time Gadusek was more than ready for Fernandez.

Fueled by the memory of last year's second-round loss to Fernandez, Gadusek coasted to a 6-1, 6-2 victory Wednesday morning before a crowd of 300. It was the first pro loss for Fernandez, the 14-year-old Miamian who won her pro debut Monday.

"I was determined not to lose this year," Gadusek said. "Last year I just looped the ball back and played her game. This year I attacked more from the baseline."

Fernandez, who advanced to the fourth round of the Lipton tournament last year, never appeared comfortable with her game in the second-round loss.

Both players said they were nervous at the start of the match, but Gadusek broke Fernandez's first two services and took a 5-0 first-set lead.

Both players held their first two services in the second set before Gadusek swept the final four games.

"I don't think I played too good today," Fernandez said. "She played good, but I could have done better."

Despite Gadusek's prematch comments about Fernandez's victory last year, neither player promoted a rivalry.

"Not at all," said Fernandez, when asked whether she was upset by Gadusek's comments. "That's her problem that she played bad."

Added Gadusek: "It takes two to have a rivalry, and my only rivalry is with myself."
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #89

FERNANDEZ A VICTIM OF GADUSEK`S WRATH
Sun-Sentinel
Jim Sarni

Mary Joe Fernandez`s punishment was swift and savage.

And so sweet for Bonnie Gadusek.

Gadusek showed no mercy as she avenged last year`s painful loss with a 6-1, 6-2 victory Wednesday at the Lipton International Players Championships at Boca West.

"I feel wonderful," Gadusek said. "I wanted this match. I hadn`t had this kind of feeling going into a match since I played Kathleen Horvath at Marco Island (1984) in the first tournament I won. If I had lost, it would have been hard to live with myself for another year."

Last year, Fernandez, then 13, stunned Gadusek 7-6, 7-6 in the third round.

"I thought about it all year. I couldn`t really believe that I had lost to her. Last year, I played her game, looping the ball back. Today I hit the ball harder and forced her to move."

Gadusek led 5-0 in the first set and had a set point for 6-0, but Fernandez pulled out a game at deuce.

"I don`t think I played too good today," said Fernandez, who finished her first tournament as a professional.

"She was really steady. She changed the pace well, threw up some lobs and came up to the net."

Andrea Jaeger withdrew from the doubles Wednesday with an injury on two fingers of her right (playing) hand.

Jaeger had an operation in November to remove a growth on her finger and she said she has never fully regained the strength needed to perform effectively.

Sunrise`s Robert Seguso withdrew from singles with a sore knee but he will play doubles with Ken Flach. Seguso and Flach are seeded No. 1.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #90

Tennis: Nerve and serve go snap for Lloyd
The Times
London, England
Friday, February 14, 1986
RICHARD EVANS

BOCA RATON, FLORIDA - John Lloyd knew what he had to do to beat Thierry Tulasne and could not do it. The result was an annoying 7-5, 6-3 loss to the Frenchman in the second round of the Lipton International Players' Championships here at Boca West. Sara Gomer was more successful, beating Patti Fendick, a Californian, 7-5, 7-6.

Tulasne is a nice young man with a game that can invoke murderous thoughts in the minds of his opponents. Hitting heavy topspin off both flanks, he likes to remain rooted to the baseline and get everything back. In the last nine months, during which time his ATP ranking has risen dramatically to 24th - 12 places higher than Lloyd's - Tulasne has learned how to serve more consistently and how to come in when necessary.

Nevertheless Lloyd has the game to beat players of Tulasne's type, especially on surfaces other than clay. The courts here are mediumpaced cement, ideal for his style, providing he serves well. The trouble was Lloyd served appallingly.

Lloyd had a break of service early in the first set but handed it back in the fourth game by hanging around on the baseline, making mistakes instead of pressing home his advantage. From then on the pressure mounted as his first service virtually disappeared, leaving him with the tricky option of staying back or trying to come in behind second services against a player who was returning well.

Bravery under fire enabled Lloyd to stave off four set points in the twelfth game but, faced again with the need to follow a second service to the nets, Lloyd's nerve snapped and he paid the penalty.

There was still plenty of fight left in him, however, and he did well to break back from 0-2 in the second set and almost get his nose in front when he held a point for a second break at 3-3. But an unnecessary error on the forehand let Tulasne off the hook and, despite encouragement from the crowd, Lloyd never got another chance against an increasingly competent opponent.

Miss Gomer did not seem particularly pleased with herself after a well-earned victory over a sprightly little American who is starting to make a name for herself on the professional tour. 'I concentrated well and kept my head when things started to go wrong in the second set', she said. 'That at least is some sort of improvement. A year ago I would have fallen apart. It's nice to know I am doing something right.'

It was the sort of reaction one hears all too often from British players. Even in victory they still tend to pick at the negative aspects of their game, brooding morosely over how the sun might be shining today but just look at the rain which is coming tomorrow.

MEN'S SINGLES: First round: J Connors (US) bt S Denton (US) 6-2, 6-4; J Svensson (Swe) bt A Jarryd (Swe) 6-4, 7-6; M Schapers (Neth) bt W Scanlon (US) 6-4, 7-5; G Forget (Fr) bt D Wheaton (US) 6-3, 6-4; M Wilander (Swe) bt R Krishnan (Ind) 6-1, 6-3; M Leach (US) bt J Goes (Bra) 7-6, 6-4; N Aerts (Bra) bt R Nixon (US) 6-2, 6-2; B Gilbert (US) bt D Perez (Uru) 6-3, 6-3. Second round: T Wilkison (US) bt M Purcell (US) 6-4, 6-3; A Krickstein (US) bt J Canter (US) 6-1, 6-0; T Smid (Cz) bt F Cancellotti (lt) 6-2, 6-7, 6-3; M Davis (US) bt R Acuna (Ch) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2; J Gunnarsson (Swe) bt J Gurfein (US) 6-1, 6-4; Y Noah (Fr) bt H Solomon (US) 4-6, 6-0, 6-1; B Becker (WG) bt P Slozil (Cz) 6-4, 6-4; D Keretic (WG) bt T Gullikson (US) 6-1, 6-2

WOMEN'S SINGLES: Second round: B Potter (US) bt L McNeil (US) 7-6, 6-2; B Bunge (WG) bt R Marsikova (Cz) 6-3, 6-0; Z Garrison (US) bt B Herr (US) 7-5, 6-3