1986 - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:35 AM   #61
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1986

EVERT LLOYD TRIUMPHS
The San Diego Union
Monday, February 3, 1986
From News Services

Chris Evert Lloyd used her recently developed strength to take the sting out of Steffi Graf's power strokes and claim a 6-3, 6-1 victory in the final of the $250,000 Virginia Slims of Florida in Key Biscayne.

Evert Lloyd, the top seed and ranked second in the world behind Martina Navratilova, also displayed her psychological toughness and took advantage of the 16-year-old West German's fragile psyche at the end of each set. She won 12 of the final 14 points in the first set and 13 of 14 at the end of the 115-minute match on the cement courts at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne Resort.

Evert Lloyd earned $40,000 for the victory. Graf, the second seed and ranked sixth, picked up $20,000 for her runner-up finish in front of an audience of 4,912.

"I feel like I played really well," Evert Lloyd said. "Steffi hits the ball harder than most of the girls. She can do more damage than most of them."

Graf served to open the match and was broken by Evert Lloyd. In game six, Graf broke back after a long game that included three deuces. Evert Lloyd broke right back in the next game, won at love on her next serve and a gain broke Graf in game nine to with the first set 6-3.

"I guess I just got going after those first six games," said Evert Lloyd. "It took me a while to get my rhythm going out there. After it was 3-3 we played a crucial game, and I was able to break her and then was able to get the final two games of the set as well.

"Steffi is still a young player and I have the experience on her so I should have been able to get it going against her. She hits the ball real hard on her forehand and has a tough backhand slice that just sits down and is hard to return. She's a good young player and she'll be a champion in just a few years."

In the second set, Graf regained her composure long enough to break Evert Lloyd's serve in the first game, but fell apart when a bad line call cost her the second game. The ball, obviously long, was called in. Graf pleaded with the umpire to overrule the call to no avail. She won only four more points the rest of the way, losing two games at love.

"I think that she lost a little bit of concentration after the call," said Evert. "You've got to block it out of your mind, and if she can't do that, it's her problem."

Graf admitted that she didn't react the way she should.

"In the second set, after I got the bad call I didn't play any good," she said. "In the beginning, I was playing well. But at the end, I just didn't know what to do."

Graf, who is 0-5 against Evert Lloyd, said she could see improvement in her opponent's game since the last time they met in last year's French Open.

"I think she's playing the best she ever played," Graf said.

Evert Lloyd said her newfound strength has come from a six-week working vacation spent in the weight room.

"I'm trying to be more of an all-court player, trying to play more aggressively," she said. "I don't want my serve to just start out a point. I want it as a weapon. I think I did that a few times today. I think I surprised her a few times with my first serve, and even once or twice with my second serve."

Evert Lloyd's most impressive service game came at 4-3 in the first set when she hit two service winners and an ace to win the game at love.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 16th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #62
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold

1986 was a remarkable year for many players. Wow, Chris really played well early. Someone else that played well was Claudia. She pushed Martina a couple of times indoors within a couple of weeks of each other. I personally believe that 1986 was Martina's best year, Helena's as well.

This was an odd period for Hana. Her shoulder had given her problems even as she won the Open. Almost immediately she pulled out of Chicago and played sparingly through the Australian season. 1986 started the same way for her outside of the Slims Champ. She played much better in the summer before being diagnosed as borderline anemic. Then she sprained her ankle right before the Open. She just couldn't sustain momentum.

Pam ended 1986 on fire. So much so that I thought she might win the Australian.
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #63
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaFanGA View Post

Pam ended 1986 on fire. So much so that I thought she might win the Australian.
You and me both buddy! Damn slice forehand!
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #64

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

LLOYD KEEPS CLIMBING TOWARD HER PEAK
The Record
New Jersey
Thursday, February 6, 1986
Bill Pennington

Even now, 12 summers since they danced at Wimbledon and talked about marriage, Chris Evert Lloyd and Jimmy Connors remain linked.

Their partnership off the court may have ended long ago, but in professional tennis Lloyd and Connors still are walking down the aisle together. When they get to the end, Connors, 34, and Lloyd, 31, retire.

But since this is an imperfect alliance, nobody ever said they would quit together.

"I think you can see what is happening," Lloyd said during an informal meeting with reporters yesterday at a Manhattan restaurant. "You can compare our careers. I read Jimmy's results in the papers, and just in the last year I've seen him losing to people he never lost to before.

"I think Jimmy was at his peak just a couple years ago. But in tennis, there's a big difference between being 34 and 31. I think you see players starting to go downhill in their mid-30's. "

It is a stage that Lloyd recognizes in her career's path. She will play this year, but she is noncommittal about another season. Yes, she wants to have a child with her husband, John Lloyd; no, she won't come back after she does.

But that's getting ahead of the march. To hear Chris tell it, you're out of step if you leave something out: the peak of her career. "I haven't reached my potential yet," she said.

She is entering a segment of her career that Lloyd believes may be the most fruitful. "I am, right now, playing the best tennis I ever have," she said yesterday. She did not mean this week or this month. The point being made was that for all her dominance over women's tennis in the Seventies, Lloyd could be better nowadays, even if she is the world's No. 2 player behind Martina Navratilova.

"I don't know how much longer I'll play," said Lloyd. "But I can do a lot more just this year. I've been a one-style player. Good concentration, great ground strokes. Now I'm working on making my serve a weapon.

"Have I peaked? I don't know . . . no, I haven't been an all-court player. I have plenty of weaknesses in my game. "

Lloyd was in New York to help promote the Virginia Slims Championships March 17-23 at Madison Square Garden. She is coming off a victory in last week's Virginia Slims of Florida . A flu-ridden Navratilova withdrew from that tournament.

"People ask me if I'm happy when Martina isn't playing in the same tournament," said Lloyd. "They don't realize that it makes it harder. Without her the pressure is on me. There are all these young players out to knock me off. The other players are very young. They're teeny-boppers. Last week, I didn't play anyone over 20. "

Lloyd said she missed her early days of women's tennis. She joined the pro tour in 1973.

"I used to have great talks with Billie Jean King and Rosie [Casales] and a lot of the other girls on the tour," she said. "I learned a lot. We had some stimulating conversations.

"Now? . . . I'm a better athlete than I've ever been and I'm in better shape, but I'm older and I've noticed it takes longer to recover from a match. I can't play three sets without waking up the next morning stiff. So I sit in my hotel room, order room service, and eventually go to play. "

Lloyd made a face at her description of that schedule. She has never liked the thought that her livelihood was her lifeblood. "I like listening to music," she said. "Training? Well, I am beginning to watch tapes of my matches. I've always hated watching myself. "

Asked why she never viewed her matches before six months ago, she said: "Because I was winning.

"I was just coasting along being No. 1. I could win easily even when I was 15 pounds overweight. "

But she trains now, and in her free time watches tapes of herself reluctantly. Soon she may be a witness to tennis fulltime.

"It will be an adjustment when I stop playing, but I'll know when it's time," she said. "I'll play as long as I'm one of the best, at the top. Hopefully, I'll see the writing on the wall ... "
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #65

No kitchen for Chris
The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution
From Wire Dispatches

NEW YORK - Chris Evert Lloyd says she has no plans to retire from tennis - and no idea when she might.

"I'm going to play this year," she said at a news conference to promote next month's Virginia Slims Championships at Madison Square Garden. "But I've taken it one year at a time ever since I was 18."

But when she does eventually retire, she said she wouldn't lead a sedentary life.

"I'm not going to be harnessed to the kitchen," she said. "I'll be traveling, doing a lot of things."

She said only her desire, not her ranking will determine when she leaves the game she has dominated for the past decade, first by herself and then with Martina Navratilova.

"Last year I played better than I have in my life," said the 31-year-old Lloyd, who has won 143 tournaments in her career, the most of any player. "What keeps me going is I don't feel yet I'm the best I can be. I haven't reached my potential."

She won her first tournament of the year last week, capturing the Virginia Slims of Florida by crushing Steffi Graf of West Germany in Sunday's final. She also defeated Austria's Petra Huber, Carling Bassett of Canada, Stephanie Rehe and Bulgaria's Manuela Maleeva.

"All the girls I played were under 20," she said. "I played five teeny-boppers."
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #66

JACK 11, MARY JOE TURN PRO FERNANDEZ, 14, CHANGES TIMETABLE
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, February 5, 1986
JIM MARTZ

Tennis prodigy Mary Joe Fernandez repeatedly had said she would wait until age 18 to turn professional, just as her favorite player Chris Evert Lloyd did.

But the timetable flipped to fast forward in December when Fernandez, a 14-year-old from Miami, won the 18-and-under division of the world's top junior tournament, the Orange Bowl International Championships. She trounced the world's top-ranked junior, Laura Garrone of Italy, in the semifinals.

Seeing no more goals in the junior ranks, Fernandez has decided to turn pro. She said Tuesday night she signed a contract Monday with International Management Group of Cleveland, a marketing and promotions firm that represents Evert, Martina Navratilova and other athletes in several sports.

Fernandez's agent? Chris' younger brother John.

Fernandez is one of the youngest girls to become a tennis pro. She is less than six months past her 14th birthday. Kathy Rinaldi was four months past her 14th birthday when she turned pro in 1981. Gabriela Sabatini was 14 years eight months when she became a pro last year.

"I thought about turning pro for a long time," said Fernandez, a ninth grader at Carrollton School. "I'm turning pro to improve my game. And I'm staying at Carrollton all the way through high school. That's a big priority.

Fernandez has played in about a dozen pro tournaments in the past year and a half and has earned a world ranking of No. 81 on the Women's Tennis Association computer.

Last year at age 13 she became the youngest player to reach the fourth round of a two-week pro event, the Lipton International Players Championships, defeating 10th-ranked Bonnie Gadusek in the process. At age 14 last August she became the youngest to win a match at the U.S. Open.

In December she became the first player to win the Orange Bowl 12s, 14s, 16s and 18s in consecutive years.

"She's not presumptuous or cocky," said Bob Kain, IMG's senior corporate vice president in charge of tennis marketing. "She thought turning pro was one or two years ahead. After she won the Orange Bowl, what more goals were there?

"She wants to go after the bigger fish. Taking the money is not the issue, rather having a normal lifestyle is. And she'll probably have more fun with no junior tennis pressure."

Terms of the contract were not disclosed. Fernandez said it's for "two or three years," and Kain said it would include endorsements for shoes, clothing and a racket.

"We're not going to put her in a bunch of commercials," Kain said. "We'll go slowly. We're considering our responsibility with these girls. If they're to become Chris Evert-type clients, we've got to do a better job of helping them through their teen years."

John Evert, director of junior management for IMG, said he had been following Fernandez's career closely for more than 18 months. He also has been talking to 16-year-old Miamian Niurka Sodupe, who has indicated she hopes to turn pro this spring.

"We think they'll do a good job for Mary Joe as a person, not just as a marketable commodity," said Fernandez's mother Sylvia. "She'll lead a normal life and either Jose (her father) or I will travel with her."

Shortly before the Orange Bowl, Fernandez withdrew from a match in the U.S. Indoor 18-and-under championships in a disagreement over line calls. Then she withdrew from representing the United States in the Continental Cup, saying it was a protest against the USTA for the handling of the indoor event.

But Fernandez and her mother said that was not a factor in deciding to turn pro. "The USTA has been very nice to her," said Sylvia Fernandez.

The WTA last year passed guidelines limiting the number of pro tourneys players under 16 could enter. But John Evert said, "The WTA schedule is consistent with our philosophy. They have a limit of 10 big tournaments and five smaller ones over 12 months, and she's tentatively scheduled for 10 big ones and one or two smaller ones. Five are in Florida, so she won't have to travel as much."
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #67

NAVRATILOVA CONFIRMS SHE'LL BYPASS LIPTON
The Miami Herald
JIM MARTZ

Now it's certain: Martina Navratilova won't play in the $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships.

The tournament's defending champion will not be a last- minute entry, as was speculated last week when she withdrew from the Virginia Slims of Florida on Key Biscayne because of the flu. Lipton tournament chairman Butch Buchholz confirmed Tuesday that Navratilova would bypass the two-week event that begins Monday at Boca West.

"I think she still may be ill, but that's not the problem," said Buchholz. "She needs to enter the Virginia Slims of Oakland to catch up on her required number of name (Virginia Slims) events."

Navratilova originally planned to skip the tournament for the same reason. She hasn't competed in enough tournaments to qualify for the bonus pool for the Virginia Slims circuit that ends in March. If she played in the Lipton, she would have wound up playing six consecutive weeks.

"It won't be a problem next year," said Buchholz, "because the tour will be November to November instead of March to March."

Qualifying for the Lipton tournament begins at 9 a.m. Thursday with 128 men and 64 women. Admission is $5 per day.

MAYBELLINE MOVES

Promoter George Liddy said he will continue to run a $150,000 women's pro tournament in South Florida Sept. 22-28 as scheduled, but it no longer will be at Bonaventure Racquet Club west of Fort Lauderdale and won't be sponsored by Maybelline.

The Lynda Carter/Maybelline Classic is moving to Mission Hills in Palm Springs, Calif., to become a six-player event with prize money boosted from $150,000 to $250,000, Liddy said.

"Maybelline agreed and Mission Hills agreed, but nothing has been signed yet," said Liddy, who also ran the $250,000 Virginia Slims of Florida last week. "Maybelline wanted to have a major event in the West. We have talked to Gleneagles in Delray Beach as a possible site for our tournament, and we're looking for a new sponsor."

The Tournament of Champions, held the past few years in Orlando, will be moving to Marco Island March 31-April 6. Chris Evert Lloyd has entered the event.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #68

FERNANDEZ TO MAKE PROFESSIONAL DEBUT IN LIPTON TOURNEY
Sun-Sentinel
Jim Sarni

Mary Joe Fernandez wants to be a normal South Florida 14-year-old who goes to junior high and just happens to play professional tennis tournaments when she`s not busy doing her algebra homework or baking brownies.

She has resisted the temptation to turn pro, thinking that it would upset her life and change her priorities. Even after she won the Orange Bowl in December -the ultimate achievement for any junior - Fernandez clung to her notion that she was better off remaining an amateur.

Since then, Fernandez has studied the situation and decided that she can turn pro and remain unspoiled, even with a little walking-around money in her pocket.

Tuesday the Miami player announced that she has signed with the International Management Group. The Lipton International Players Championships, which begin Monday at Boca West, will provide her first paycheck.

"Mary Joe and her family feel that the important thing is that she keeps her lifestyle," said Bob Kain of IMG, who with John Evert will represent Fernandez.

"Over the next year, she will stay at home and attend school full time. She will play selected tournaments that are close by. She will maintain a normal lifestyle."

After winning the Orange Bowl, Fernandez decided that she had no interest in playing any more junior events. She wanted to play pro tournaments exclusively, so there was no reason to remain an amateur and pass up the money.

Last week, Fernandez reached the round of 16 at the Virginia Slims of Key Biscayne, her first tournament since the Orange Bowl. She would have collected $2,700 if she had declared herself a pro last week.

"Mary Joe`s schedule will actually be less strenuous than if she remained an amateur and combined junior and pro events," Evert said.

Under new Women`s Tennis Association guidelines governing players under 16, Fernandez is restricted to playing 15 tournaments (10 major events) a year. Fernandez will have to improve her ranking (currently 101) before she can get into the main draws of some events.

Fernandez joins Stephanie Rehe and Melissa Gurney, two of the country`s top juniors last year, in the pro ranks. Rehe, who won her first pro tournament in Tampa in November, and Gurney are 15.

Fernandez is a month and a half older than Kathy Rinaldi was when she gained the distinction of being the youngest American pro. Rinaldi turned pro in 1981 at 14 years and four months after winning the U.S. Girls 14 title.

Steffi Graf of West Germany was considered a pro at 13, but she continued to play junior events, too. Many foreign tennis federations do not differentiate between professional and junior status.

Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina turned pro at 14 last year after winning the Orange Bowl.

Many tennis experts rate Fernandez in the same class with Graf (now 16) and Sabatini (now 15).

With her Hispanic background, Fernandez was one of the most sought-after young stars in the game. IMG, which has courted Fernandez for a long time, won the battle of the agents.

Kain says that IMG will let Fernandez develop at her own pace.

"We`ve seen the good and the bad in the development of teen-age players," said Kain.

"We will help Mary Joe with her career. She is lucky that she lives in Miami and there are a lot of tournaments in the state. In Mary Joe`s eyes, even though she is now a pro, nothing has changed."

COMING OUT PARTY

Chris Evert Lloyd turned pro when she was 18 after winning a tournament in Fort Lauderdale in 1973. Since then, American girls have turned pro earlier as the sport became dominated by younger players.

Some top American players and their ages when they turned pro:

Tracy Austin, 16 (1978)
Zina Garrison, 18 (1982)
Pam Shriver, 16 (1978)
Michelle Torres, 17 (1984)
Andrea Jaeger, 14 (1980)
Stephanie Rehe, 15 (1985)
Susan Mascarin, 16 (1980)
Melissa Gurney, 15 (1985)
Kathy Rinaldi, 14 (1981)
Mary Joe Fernandez, 14 (1986)
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #69

COMEBACK TIME: POTTER WANTS RETURN TO TOP 10
Sun-Sentinel
Richard Katz

Barbara Potter remembers what it was like to be among the 10 best tennis players in the world.

Now she has dropped six notches. And with the start of the Lipton International Players Championships at Boca West Country Club Monday, she is confident this tournament will be the start of her road back to the top 10.

"I feel I have done some real good things but I haven`t lived up to my potential," Potter said. "I`m looking at this year to build up my game."

And she is aware there are more players on the procircuit who will provide that challenge.

By January 1983 at the age of 21, she had been on the professional tour for three years. In that time she had gone to the semifinals of the U.S. Open in 1981 and won the 1982 Indoor Championships in Philadelphia. She was ranked seventh in the world. At 24, she is ranked 16th.

The more she won, the more interested the rest of the tennis world became. And like a pitcher who gets batters out the first few times before they catch on, other players carefully watched Potter`s style and were able to do the same.

"There were a lot more players who saw me and learned how to play me," Potter said. "I don`t think I worked as hard to get there and not as hard to stay there."

The native of Woodbury, Conn., said she was hurting herself by committing unforced errors, lacking intensity, and thinking too much about tough losses.

Two of them have been to Chris Evert Lloyd. At last year`s Wimbledon, she lost to Evert in the quarterfinals. And at last year`s Lipton championships, she lost to Evert in the quarterfinal round as well.

Potter said that winning the Lipton tournament this year doesn`t seem likely.

"I don`t see it as a reality," Potter said, "I have not played singles in eight or nine weeks."

She has not played any singles matches since December, when she played in the Australian Open and the Pan Pacific tournament in Tokyo. Her most recent tournament victory came last summer at the Virginia Slims Tournament in Monticello, N.Y., when she defeated Helen Kelesi.

She has played doubles with Betsy Nagelsen. The team made it to the finals of the Virginia Slims of FloridaTournament at the Royal Sheraton in Key Biscayne but lost to Kathy Jordan and Elizabeth Smiley.

The intensity is back. Now she is striving for consistency.

"It`s a constantly active process," Potter said about improving her game and her mental approach to the game. "You have to have the proper attitude. It means getting through the tough days by winning when playing badly."

Most of her time has been spent working with coach Dave Robinson of Tennis Management Group in Boca Raton.

"There is so much pressure; who you beat, who you lost to" and the effect such results have on the computer rankings, Robinson said.

Robinson said Potter has had to learn to "take it one day at a time and one match at at a time."

"With her game and style, she can play at least another six years," Robinson said. "She has the reputation as one of the hardest workers on the tour."

"I need to be fresh and eager," Potter said. "I have to be willing to spill blood. You have to be willing to run after the ball until it hurts and want every point until it hurts."

She has worked to improve her baseline game, done some weight training and worked on her mental approach to the game. She plans to sit down with Robinson to plan a strategy for each match: tactical approaches, a review of her opponent`s weaknesses, and the viewing of tapes of other matches in analyzing her mistakes and those of opponents.

But the matches will be fought on the courts, not on television screens or in weight rooms. She will rely on her serve and her play around the net, and her savvy if she wishes to move back into the top 10 of women`s professional tennis.

"I`m a hard hitter," Potter said. "My best play is to get to the net. They will have to get it past me."

Potter wants to win at least one tournament this year. At Lipton, Potter said she wants to play the tough opponents in the early rounds of the tournament to find out quickly whether her new approach to the game will mean success.

"Frankly, it scares me to death," Potter said. "It`s a challenge. I`m putting myself on the line."
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #70

TOURNEY OFFICIALS GEAR UP TO HANDLE TRAFFIC
Sun-Sentinel
Elaine A. Ellis

The tents are up, players have started to arrive for the qualifying rounds and the organizers of the Lipton International Players Championships at Boca West are preparing for an increase in traffic on Glades Road and other roads leading to the tournament.

A temporary traffic jam on Glades and Powerline roads on Wednesday, near the entrance to Boca West, illustrated the potential for traffic problems when the tournament begins. Qualifying rounds begin today with the tournament opening on Monday and continuing through Feb. 23.

An estimated 150,000 spectators are expected to attend the matches over the two weeks, said Rod Humphries, director of public relations for the tournament. Approximately 2,000 to 3,000 people are expected to attend the qualifying matches.

"We have given a great deal of thought" to traffic problems, said Frank Bussey, director of operations for the tournament. Palm Beach County Sheriff`s Office deputies, Bussey said, "tell us the lights are already at capacity. They can`t change them to move traffic along any faster."

Glades Road is the only east-west road in the south county area that runs uninterrupted to State Road 7.

Bussey said they do not expect traffic problems before the daytime matches, which begin at 10 a.m. Spectators who plan to go to the 7 p.m. matches, however, should start out two hours early to avoid rush-hour traffic on Glades Road, Bussey said.have reserved an additional 1,200 to 1,500 places in the parking lot at Town Center Mall on Glades Road for overflow from the main lot.

"We have masses of signs," Bussey said. "It`s like Burma Shave commercials."

Players and those holding tickets for box seats will park on the driving range where the golf clinics are offered.

"Traffic has always been a problem, but we`ve handled it well," said Bob Jones, assistant director of operations for the tournament. "Based on experience in other tournaments, we`ve tried to come up with something as smooth-running as possible."

"It could have been something as simple as a semi trying to get turned around," he said.

"We`ve had a few golf and tennis tournaments out there and we haven`t had any real traffic problems with them," Tremer said.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #71

BUCHHOLZ'S BABY GROWS UP TWO-WEEK LIPTON CHAMPIONSHIPS A HIT WITH PLAYERS
The Miami Herald
Sunday, February 9, 1986
JIM MARTZ

Butch Buchholz's year-old baby no longer wobbles, as it did while taking those first steps last February.

It's standing taller in a new home, albeit a temporary one. And it got a booster shot Friday when a favorite uncle, Jimmy Connors, decided to visit.

Buchholz's $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships begin Monday and continue through Feb. 23 at Boca West, 10 miles south of last year's site, Laver's International Tennis Resort in Delray Beach. One more move is planned, probably next year, to Weston, a new development west of Fort Lauderdale where Buchholz's kid will have a permanent home.

Last year's Grand Slam-style tournament was the first new two-week men's and women's event since the French championships began in 1926. John McEnroe and columnist/commentator Bud Collins called it an intrusion; Chris Evert Lloyd and Martina Navratilova called it ingenious.

The latter opinion has proved more popular. Last year, 42 of the top 50 men and 47 of the top 50 women entered the 128- player draws; this year, it's 43 of the men and 46 of the women.

That's the first sign of permanence in a tournament that virtually is run by the players through the Association of Tennis Professionals and the Women's Tennis Association. Last year, the Lipton drew 175,000 fans and earned $175,000 for each association.

"Every player who plays the Lipton feels he or she has a share in it because it's the players' tournament," Evert said. "There has been a lot of pressure by the WTA and ATP because it's their event.

"But playing two weeks is tough. You have days off and feel nervous and can lose your rhythm. It takes a lot more concentration. But it's a big tournament and is worth a lot of points in the season-long standings.

"It's not a Grand Slam, but it's right under them."

The women grabbed the headlines last year. A flock of teen-age whizzes, such as Steffi Graf, Gabriela Sabatini and Mary Joe Fernandez, pulled surprises, and Navratilova beat Evert in the final. The men's field lacked McEnroe and Connors, and top- seeded Ivan Lendl lost in the fourth round, resulting in a lackluster final between Tim Mayotte and Scott Davis.

This time, the men may attract more attention. The four Grand Slam winners are here -- Lendl (U.S. Open), Mats Wilander (French), Boris Becker (Wimbledon) and Stefan Edberg (Australian) -- and Connors entered Friday, citing a need to play more matches. Connors has been plagued by back problems since October and returned to action only last month.

Lendl, the No. 1 seed, will play his first match Tuesday evening. Fourth-seeded Becker plays Monday night. Connors, the third seed, will play Wednesday.

McEnroe decided to pass up the Lipton again because he doesn't like South Florida's fickle winter winds, but he's not playing any tournaments for two months because he says he needs a break.

Mayotte, last year's champion, suffered an abdominal injury last week that forced him to default the final of the U.S. Pro Indoor tournament at Philadelphia. The injury cast doubt on whether he would be back to defend his title, but he was a late entrant and is seeded eighth.

Navratilova is skipping the Lipton because it would have meant playing seven of 10 weeks and because she needs to compile more points in Virginia Slims events to qualify for the yearlong bonus pool that ends in March. Even if she had entered, she might not have been 100 percent; a severe case of the flu forced her to pull out of the Virginia Slims of Florida on Key Biscayne.

Hana Mandlikova, who withdrew from the Key Biscayne event with a shoulder injury, also will miss the Lipton.

Evert, who looked as sharp as ever in winning last week at Key Biscayne, heads a women's field that includes four top 10 players who didn't play there -- Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, Pam Shriver, Zina Garrison and Helena Sukova. Also entered are Graf, Sabatini and Fernandez, a 14-year-old Miamian who turned pro last week.

Evert, the top seed, will play Tuesday.

Buchholz refuses to fret about players who aren't entered.

"When we started, I said a single player could not sink this entire plan," he said. "Boris Becker was asked the other day if he ever considered not playing. He said, 'No.' The young kids are going to make this an automatic stop."

ABC again will televise the women's final (Feb. 22) and men's final (Feb. 23), and ESPN will carry several earlier sessions.

Several promotions are planned: Tuesday will be women's team tennis day, with every two women getting in for the price of one; Wednesday will be a two-for-one senior citizens' day; and Friday, Valentine's Day, anyone who brings a sweetheart will get two tickets for the price of one.

A fast-serve contest will be held next Sunday and Monday for Lipton players at the Boca Pointe Fitness and Racquet Club. Winners will receive a free ride on the British Airways Concorde to London.

BERNSTEIN PULLS UPSET

Laura Bernstein of Hollywood upended fifth-seeded Anna Maria Fernandez of Torrance, Calif., 2-6, 6-4, 7-5, Saturday in the second round of qualifying for the Lipton Championships.

In other women's upsets, Monica Lundqvist of Sweden eliminated No. 6 Jane Young of Canada, 6-2, 6-4, and Emanuel Derly of France defeated No. 8 Marcela Skuherska of Czechoslovakia, 7-5, 7-6 (7-5).

The top four men's seeds -- Bill Scanlon, Jay Lapidus, Marko Ostoja of Yugoslavia and Shlomo Glickstein of Israel -- advanced to the third round. Eight women and 16 men will qualify for the main draw today.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #72

THIS YEAR IT`S MEN`S TURN TO KEEP LIPC FLYING
Sun-Sentine
Sunday, February 9, 1986
Jim Sarni

The 1975 Boca West International was played here in front of a cozy grandstand where the old pro shop used to be. Jimmy Connors won. It was a charming little tournament.

Connors returns to Boca West this week, and times have changed. The Boca West International is wistful nostaglia, and hardly anyone remembers where the old pro shop used to be.

In its place is the $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships, which will fill 11 courts, keeping 256 men and women pros busy for 14 days (and 12 nights) and giving an anticipated crowd of 150,000 a tennis overdose, not to mention a likely traffic migraine.

Helicopter is the preferred mode of transportation.

Thankfully, Boca West is only temporary housing for the world`s fourth- richest tennis tournament, which will settle down at Weston in 1987.

The LIPC got off the ground in 1985 -- surprising critics who didn`t think Butch Buchholz could build the plane -- and managed to fly through the storms of bad weather, missing stars and unexpected upsets.

"We hit a tennis ball," said Buchholz, who saw his dream become a reality at Laver`s International Resort in 1985. "No one knew the tournament would happen. What I`m most proud of is that we played. Now we`re on the calendar and no one`s taking shots at it."

In Year Two, Buchholz hopes to cultivate a strong image for the LIPC at its new Arvida home.

"One of my goals is to introduce the players, sponsors and spectators to Arvida quality," Buchholz said. "I want the tournament image to be first-class.

"Arvida didn`t want to do the tournament at Boca West this year. It`s upsetting some of the home-owners. So it`s important to have everyone understand that Arvida will do it in a first-class way.

"I`m very conscious of the image of the tournament. We`re moving to Weston (another Arvida development) next year and everyone is going to want to know what that`s going to be like."

Class is nice, but the players` tournament can only be as good as its players. This year the top men have rallied around the LIPC while the top women, so supportive last year, have turned up their noses.

Nine of the top 10 men, including late-entry Connors, a celebrated no-show in 1985, are playing.

Only John McEnroe failed to return his invitation, but his loss is diminished by the fact that he has taken a two-month break from the tour. Also, McEnroe is no longer the No. 1 player. Ivan Lendl, who took McEnroe`s crown away at the U.S. Open, heads the men`s field.

Defending champion Martina Navratilova, the No. 1 woman, however, is missing along with No. 3 Hana Mandlikova and No. 5 Claudia Kohde-Kilsch.

With Navratilova out, Chris Evert Lloyd is the overwhelming favorite.

"From the players` point of view, it`s going to take another few years for the players to make this a habit," Buchholz said.

"The older players like Connors, McEnroe and Navratilova have been making their schedules for 10 years and it`s not easy for them to change. The younger kids like (Boris) Becker wouldn`t think of missing the tournament.

"That`s why I`m tickled that Jimmy is playing. He helps our credibility."

Connors gives the men`s tournament four strong potential semifinalists, and Saturday`s draw set up the most desirable pairings: Lendl vs. Connors and Wilander vs. Becker. The LIPC would love a Becker-Lendl or a Becker-Connors final.

Last year Tim Mayotte defeated Scott Davis in a battle of two All-American overachievers.

This year the LIPC and ABC would like a household name.

The women`s event will be a supporting act with only half of sports` best rivalry.

"So much of women`s tennis is the Martina-Chris rivalry, and we don`t have it this year," Buchholz said. "But we have Chrissie, who is probably the most recognizable sports person in the world."

Navratilova entered the LIPC but pulled out when she realized she could not play and also meet her Virginia Slims commitments.

West German teen-ager Steffi Graf is the second seed behind Evert.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #73

KIDS IN EARLY SPOTLIGHT AS LIPTON TENNIS OPENS
The Miami Herald
Monday, February 10, 1986
MARK NEWMAN

Chris Evert Lloyd and Jimmy Connors can wait. It's Kids' Day at the $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships.

We have 14-year-old Mary Joe Fernandez of Miami -- who opened eyes in last year's event as an amateur -- making her pro debut.

We have a match between West German Steffi Graf and Californian Melissa Gurney, who were born 10 days apart in June 1969.

We have 18-year-old West German Boris Becker, who was a no- name at last year's Lipton and returns as the reigning Wimbledon champion/tennis heartthrob.

When the two-week tournament starts today at Boca West, Fernandez will play Czechoslavakian Andrea Holikova in the second match of the 10 a.m. session on Court 1. Graf and Gurney will meet in the 7 p.m. match on the stadium court, followed by Becker and qualifier Tom Nijssen.

As an amateur in last year's tournament, Fernandez upset Bonnie Gadusek before losing to Hana Mandlikova. Gadusek, seeded fifth this year, can avenge that loss in the second round if she beats Mimi Jausovec and if Fernandez wins. In the face of all this infantry is 30-year-old Texan Steve Denton, who's just happy to be in the tournament.

Denton couldn't qualify last year, because he and doubles partner Kevin Curren were in the finals of the U.S. National Indoors in Memphis, Tenn.

Fortunately, they made a quick exit from Memphis this time. Denton made it in time to roll through the qualifying and take a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory from Californian Randy Nixon Sunday.

"I would've missed this again if we hadn't lost early," Denton said. "I guess it turned out for the better."

Denton was one of 24 players who qualified Sunday. Among the South Floridians who did were Jay Lapidus, a 6-7 (2-7), 6-1, 6-1 victor over Hans Simonsson; Craig Campbell, a 6-3, 6-3 winner over Andre Agassi; Dan Cassidy, who defeated Panko Ivanov, 6-4, 6-2; Pilar Vasquez, who beat Elna Reinach, 6-2, 6-3; and Penny Barg, who sidelined Maria Lindstrom, 6-4, 0-6, 6-1.

Denton could pose the first big upset of the tournament. His first match will be Wednesday against third-seeded Connors, a late entry.

Ivan Lendl and Evert, the top seeds, will play their first matches Tuesday.

Denton is attempting a comeback, and a surprise against Connors would be an ideal start. He dropped from 10th in 1982 -- when he reached the rounds of 16 at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open -- to 247th in the latest Association of Tennis Professionals' rankings

Although still a standout doubles player with old college roommate Curren, Denton saw his singles career nose-dive after a series of foot problems.

"After that, I lost belief in myself and lost a bit of motivation," he said. "That's the key to this game -- you have to be hungry.

"It was a year and a half of tennis I don't want to play. Now, I've struggled and just feel I'm getting my head together. I need a lot of matches at this point."

Denton was undaunted against Nixon, despite his opponent's outstanding serve. Denton kept his composure and won the match on an ace.

"The last round of qualifying is always nerve-racking," he said.

3,100 SEATS REMAIN

As of Sunday night, 3,100 general-admission seats remained for tonight's stadium-court matches. Phone 483-2200 for ticket information . . . The four-day qualifying reportedly drew 3,200 fans. Officials are expecting around 150,000 for the entire tournament . . . Inside Florida Tennis, which airs each Sunday on Channel 29, will televise 10 half-hour highlight-and- interview shows during the tournament. Carl Foster, the show's host, will be joined by Jeanne Evert Dubin.

TODAY'S MATCHES

STADIUM COURT: 10 a.m. -- Eva Pfaff vs. Catarina Lindqvist; Tim Gullikson vs. Heinz Gunthardt; Zina Garrison vs. Isabel Cueto; Slobodan Zivojinovic vs. Mel Purcell; Mimi Jausovec vs. Bonnie Gadusek. 7 p.m. -- Melissa Gurney vs. Steffi Graf; Boris Becker vs. Tom Nijssen.

GRANDSTAND COURT: 10 a.m. -- Andrea Jaeger vs. Ann Henricksson; Wolfgang Popp vs. Scott Davis; Helena Sukova vs. Marianne Werdel; Jimmy Arias vs. Carlos Kirmayr; Robin White vs. Kathy Jordan. 7 p.m. -- Goran Prpic vs. Aaron Krickstein; Laura Gildemeister vs. Manuela Maleeva.

COURT 1: 10 a.m. -- Horacio de la Pena vs. Greg Holmes; Andrea Holikova vs. Mary Joe Fernandez; Harold Solomon vs. Russell Simpson; Rafaella Reggi vs. Pascale Paradis; Tomas Smid vs. Jose Lopez-Maeso. 7 p.m. -- Stephanie Rehe vs. Carina Karlsson; Terry Moor vs. David Pate.

COURT 2: 10 a.m. -- Thomas Muster vs. Marty Davis; Barbara Potter vs. Vicki Nelson-Dunbar; Larry Stefanki vs. John Fitzgerald; Amy Holton vs. Jo Durie; Jimmy Brown vs. Hank Schwaier.

COURT 3: 10 a.m. -- Elizabeth Minter vs. Peanut Louie; Mike DePalmer vs. Jim Gurfein; Terry Phelps vs. Elizabeth Smylie; Bill Scanlon vs. Bruno Oresar.

COURT 4: 10 a.m. -- Tim Wilkison vs. Barry Moir; Bettina Bunge vs. Emilse Ramponi Longo; Pedro Rebolledo vs. Francisco Gonzalez; Helen Kelesi vs. Sabrina Goles.

COURT 5: 10 a.m. -- Neige Dias vs. Iva Budarova; Marko Ostoja vs. Damir Keretic; Annabel Croft vs. Nathalie Tauziat; Cecilia Fernandez vs. Pam Casale.

COURT 6: 10 a.m. -- Pavel Slozil vs. Tarik Benhabiles; Catherine Suire vs. Sandra Cecchini; Francesco Cancellotti vs. Kevin Moir; Isabelle Demongeot vs. Wendy White.

COURT 7: 10 a.m. -- Regina Marsikova vs. Sharon Walsh-Pete; Craig Campbell vs. Bob Green; Yvonne Vermaak vs. Masako Yanagi; Lori McNeil vs. Tine Scheuer-Larsen.

COURT 8: 10 a.m. -- Sophie Amiach vs. Lea Antonoplis; Dan Cassidy vs. Christo Van Rensburg; Leigh Thompson vs. Patricia Medrado; Beth Herr vs. Andrea Betzner.

COURT 9: 10 a.m. -- Michelle Torres vs. Debbie Spence; Kim Sands vs. Myrium Schropp; Beth Norton vs. Amanda Tobin-Dingwall; Shawn Foltz vs. Petra Keppeller.

TODAY'S BEST

Steffi Graf vs. Melissa Gurney, 7 p.m. on stadium court; Boris Becker vs. Tom Nijssen, second match of 7 p.m. session on stadium court; Manuela Maleeva vs. Laura Gildemeister, second match of 7 p.m. session on grandstand court; Mary Joe Fernandez vs. Andrea Holikova, second match of 10 a.m. session on Court One; Jimmy Arias vs. Carlos Kirmayr, fourth match of 10 a.m. session on grandstand court.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #74

FINAL QUALIFIERS, 3 LUCKY LOSERS FILL LIPTON FIELD
Sun-Sentinel
Jim Sarni

Tom Nijssen of The Netherlands won a third-set tiebreaker in his final-round qualifying match Sunday to gain the main draw of the Lipton International Players Championships.

Nijssen`s reward?

A date with Boris Becker tonight in the stadium.

A Dutch treat for Boris?

Becker played Michiel Schapers, a Dutchman, in the first round of the Australian Open and lost. He won`t be taking the 21-year-old Nijssen lightly.

Twenty-seven players -- 24 qualifiers (16 male, eight female) and three "lucky losers" (Julie Richardson, Maria Lundstrom and Stephan Bonneau) -- survived Sunday to play another day in the LIPC.

After the dust cleared -- 13 of the 24 matches went three sets -- the qualifiers fell into the draw Sunday night. Some with a crash and some with a soft thud.

Jay Lapidus of Palm Beach Gardens, a 6-7 (7-2), 6-1, 6-1 winner over Hans Simonsson, drew John Lloyd.

Steve Denton, who rallied to beat Randy Nixon 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, drew Jimmy Connors.

Dan Cassidy of Hollywood, who knocked off Panko Ivanov 6-4, 6-2, drew Christo Van Rensburg, another qualifier.

Susan Sloane, a 15-year-old Kentuckian, drew Chris Evert Lloyd, the top seed in the women`s event.

"Oh, no, really?" said Sloane, who faces Evert Tuesday afternoon. "I hope I play well."

Sloane has played well in three qualifying matches, not losing a set against Isuko Okagawa, Jennifer Goodling and Marianne Groat Sunday.

The youngster should not be intimidated against Evert. She played Martina Navratilova in her last pro tournament, at the Virginia Slims of New England, and won four games from the world`s No. 1 player.

Sloane jumped 100 spots in the rankings to No. 141 last month.

"I`ve been playing well. I hope I can keep it up," said Sloane, who led the U.S. Continental Players Cup team in Pompano Beach last December.

Eight of the 16 women`s seeds play today with No. 2 Steffi Graf of West Germany in the spotlight.

Graf, an LIPC semifinalist last year and the runner-up at the recent Virginia Slims of Florida, faces Melissa Gurney of Palos Verdes, Calif., in a battle of highly touted 16-year-olds in the stadium at 7 p.m.

Becker, the No. 4 seed, follows Graf on the show court to make it a Bratwurst special.

Becker and Scott Davis, last year`s runner-up, are the only two men among the top 16 seeds scheduled to play today.

Top-seeded Ivan Lendl faces John Sadri in his first match Tuesday afternoon. No. 2 seed Mats Wilander and No. 4 seed Connors play their first matches Wednesday.

The Connors-Denton match could be one of the best in the first round.

The most interesting first-round match from a local standpoint pits Yannick Noah, the No. 6 seed, against Jay Berger of Plantation Tuesday night in a rematch of their U.S. Open encounter.

Berger, the U.S. Boys 18 champion, fought his way into the round of 16 at Flushing Meadow and took a set off Noah.

The Frenchman and the Clemson sophomore will meet on the same Decoturf II surface.

The LIPC opens the first of its 26 sessions over the next 14 days today with Eva Pfaff against Caterina Lindqvist on center court at 10 a.m. There will be 54 matches played today, 48 in the day session on 11 courts and six tonight at 7 p.m. on three courts.

NOTES: Anne White (we`ll never know what she had planned for the Winter Wimbledon) and Gigi Fernandez pulled out of the women`s tournament with injuries, opening up two spots for "lucky losers." Pedro Rebolledo pulled out of the men`s tournament, creating the opening for Bonneau. . . The four-day qualifying drew 3,200. . . Tonight`s advance sale is 5,000. The stadium holds 11,200.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #75

SLOANE QUALIFIES FOR TOURNEY
Lexington Herald-Leader
Associated Press

Been following the career of Lexington's own tennis wunderkind, Susan Sloane?

Well, we've got some good news and some bad news about the 15-year-old.

The good news is that Sloane beat Marianne Groat 6-2, 6-2 yesterday in qualifying action to make the main draw of the Lipton International Players Championship in Boca Raton, Fla.

The bad news is that she's scheduled to play top-seed Chris Evert Lloyd in first-round play Tuesday.

Sloane, still an amateur, has played in several pro events the last eight months, including the U.S. Open and Virginia Slims of Washington , D.C., where she lost to Martina Navratilova 6-3, 6-1 in the second round.

The Lexington native is now living in Bradenton, Fla., at Nick Bollettieri's tennis academy, which also provides for her non-tennis education.

Volvo Indoor:

Eighth-seeded Brad Gilbert won his first major tennis title with a 7-5, 7-6 (7-3) upset of No. 2 Stefan Edberg of Sweden in the $315,000 Volvo U.S. National Indoor Championships yesterday in Memphis, Tenn.

Earlier in the week, Gilbert had knocked off top-seeded Jimmy Connors in a quarterfinal match and then beat No. 3 Anders Jarryd in the semifinals.

Edberg had advanced to the finals by eliminating unseeded qualifier Mikael Pernfors.

Gilbert, a 24-year-old Californian, now has beaten two of the top four players in the Association of Tennis Professionals rankings during the last few weeks. A month ago, he beat No. 2 John McEnroe in the first round of the Nabisco Masters in New York.

Gilbert earned $45,000 and Edberg picked up $22,500.

Edberg took a 3-2 lead in the first set before Gilbert's serve kept Edberg deep and off-balance.

"My serve started to pick up at 5-4," Gilbert said. "I started standing a little closer on the returns. I started to really get around on the returns."

Gilbert hit nine aces in the match. He had 40 during the tournament.

"I felt like I was penetrating his serve a little bit," Gilbert said. "He started missing his first serves. I think I started getting a good crack at the ball I started hitting some forehands at 5-4 and 6-5 to win the set.

"I snuck a few forehands down the line. I was fortunate my serve picked up a lot in the second set. Once I started serving, my confidence started picking up," Gilbert said.

"I played all right today," Edberg said. "It was a very tight match."

Edberg, who had won three previous matches with Gilbert, said his opponent's serve seemed to get stronger as the match progressed.

"I rushed a little bit," he said. "But he hit the line so many times.

"I've got to go for it and take some chances," Edberg said. "Maybe I should come in a bit, but it's very hard when he is passing so well."

In addition to his upset victories over Connors and Jarryd and his winner's check, Gilbert was named to the U.S. Davis Cup team and he won an Oriental rug offered to the tournament player who scored the most aces.

In the doubles finals yesterday, Ken Flach and Robert Seguso defeated Guy Forget of France and Anders Jarryd of Sweden 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5).

College:

Joey Blake of the University of Arkansas upset defending champion Dan Goldie of Stanford in the men's singles finals of the Rolex National Indoor Intercollegiate Tennis Championships at Houston.

The unseeded Blake beat Goldie, the No. 2 seed, 3-6, 6-3, 7-7 (8-6).

"I came into the finals just wanting to play well," Blake said. "I am from Virgina and so is Dan so I was very much aware of how good of a player that he is. But as the match went along I felt like that if I could just hang in and play well that I could win the tournament."

In the women's division, No. 3 seed Caroline Kuhlman, a native of
Kentucky, defeated Southern Cal teammate Heliane Steden, seeded fourth, 6-3, 6-1. Last year's champion and the tournament No. 1 seed, Beverly Bowes of the University of Texas, fell to Steden Saturday 7-6 (7-2) 6-1.

"My plan going into the match was to keep the ball in play and wait for Heliane to beat herself," Kulhman said. "I felt that we both knew each other's game."

Grand Prix:

Top-seeded Joakim Nystrom of Sweden cut down towering Milan Srejber with ease and captured his first Nabisco Grand Prix tournament of the year as he disposed of the Czechoslovakian 6-1, 6-4 in Toronto.

Srejber, the tallest player on the tour at 6-foot-8, had displayed remarkable poise and confidence throughout the week as he worked his way out of the qualifiers and through the main draw. But yesterday, in his first ever Grand Prix finals, he appeared tight and apprehensive.

His big serve, which worked with such devastating efficiency in his semifinal victory against American Peter Fleming when he recorded 11 aces and numerous service winners, was sporadic and inconsistent. Overall, he served just three aces - all of them coming in the second game of the first set - against seven double-faults.