1986 - Page 33 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:38 PM   #481
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1986

Tennis: Pernfors can put Becker in spin
The Times
London, England
Monday, June 30, 1986
REX BELLAMY, Tennis Correspondent

A dry Wimbledon is usually a good one. That has certainly been true this year. Two obvious effects have concerned bounce and pace. The bounce is always more consistent when the courts are dry rather than damp and slick.

It has also been gratifying - for everyone except the ground staff and players totally committed to the 'big game' - to observe the spreading beige of worn courts. When the top begins to go, the ball takes a better grip because of the additional friction. Ask any spin bowler. Another consequence of the dry courts is that most players have less difficulty than usual in staying on their feet.

But for all this, would such charming tacticians as Miloslav Mecir and Mikael Pernfors have advanced to the last 16? Would Ramesh Krishnan's fluent shot-making have been so effective? Thank goodness all three are still there to entertain us. And in the women's event, Raffaella Reggi and Isabelle Demongeot have time to play better tennis than grass courts usually allow them.

The problem with the fourth round, as with every preceding round, is that one cannot be in two places at once. Eric Jelen v Krishnan, Mecir v Brad Gilbert, Pernfors v Boris Becker, Pat Cash v Mats Wilander and Kathy Jordan v Chris Lloyd are matches that promise feasts of tennis, liberally spiced with drama. There are German colleagues who expect Jelen to last longer than Becker and they may be right.

Becker faltered briefly on Saturday when losing the third set to Paul McNamee, whose mind is as nimble as his feet. McNamee thought 'Becker was rattled' - that the stress of defending the title was affecting him. Becker explained that for a few games he had been inhibited by a troublesome Achilles tendon. But he added: 'Last year I came here as a nobody. This time I came as defending champion. It's much harder. Today I could not find a rhythm with my returns, so I became nervous. I had to try everything. I had to fight so hard. So I became emotional.'

Becker's next opponent, Pernfors, beat him in the French championships, on a much slower surface. One could read all kinds of things into the fact that Pernfors, in his first year of professional tennis, should shortly break into the top 10.

It was a joy to see such interesting players as Mecir and Henri Leconte in action on adjacent courts. Both won: Mecir against the fifth seed, Stefan Edberg. Mecir likes playing Swedes. In Hamburg last year 'The Big Cat' so bomboozled Joakim Nystrom, Wilander and Henrik Sundstrom that at times the crowd roared with laughter as the Swedes almost knotted their legs. On Saturday, Mecir's serving was good enough to expose what had always seemed likely to be Edberg's Wimbledon weakness - service returns.

The paradox about the modern Wimbledon seeding system is that it rewards players for their performances on surfaces other than grass. So we should not be surprised that, of the players seeded to reach the last 16 of each singles event, only seven men and nine women have accomplished the feat. The seeds beaten on Saturday were Edberg and Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, who lost five of her eight service games against Miss Reggi. Even among the advancing Germans, there are sporadic outbursts of diffidence.

When the championships began, it was suggested that five men and four women had some sort of chance. Each short list has been reduced by one, leaving Ivan Lendl, Tim Mayotte, Becker, Leconte, Martinia Navratilova, Chris Lloyd and Hana Mandlikova to justify or confound one's expectations.

In the men's event an extrordinary dark horse has emerged: Cash, aged 21, who advanced to the Wimbledon and United States semi-finals in 1984 but then had enduring problems with his health, lost confidence, and - four weeks ago - had his appendix out at a time when he was also learning the knack of getting up in the night to change nappies. But he is beginning to look like the Cash of two years ago. 'It's a big surprise that I've got this far,' he says, 'but now I have done, there is no reason why I shouldn't go farther.' One merely wonders how he will take the strain of a five-set match, assuming he has to play one.

This half-term report would not be complete without some reference to last week's evidence that to some extent the traditional pleasures of the championships have been compromised in the pursuit of wealth. Wimbledon is roomier than it was a decade ago and the range of relaxing counter-attractions available to the public are far greater. Those counter-attractions make money and most people are remarkably tolerant in making do without much tennis. At the same time they may reasonably feel that Wimbledon's well-intentioned talk about maintaining traditions sounds rather hollow. The object of the exercise is playing or watching tennis: and there is not enough viewing space for the number of people admitted.

Finally, a word of sympathy for the photographers, who may be a little confused. Alongside the courts they have to keep still. But in the Press conference room a notice reads: 'No Still Photographers.' If they took that literally, Press conferences would be a lot livlier.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:38 PM   #482

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

CHOOSING BRITISH NEWSPAPERS CAN BE DIFFICULT TASK
The Columbus Dispatch
Monday, June 30, 1986
Zan Hale

Each morning there is a decision to make: Which handful of London's nine daily newspapers (and I use that term loosely) to buy?

Yesterday was worse. There are 11 Sunday papers staring up from the newsstand, beckoning with blaring headlines. "Brain Transplants," says the Sunday Mirror. "43-inch Fergie," says The People, then claims exclusive knowledge of royal bride-to-be Sarah Ferguson's hip measurement. Am I standing under the Marble Arch in Hyde Park or in the grocery line at Big Bear?

The way the London papers cover Wimbledon (and everything else) is amazing, not for their depth or completeness or good writing. But because it is so unlike the efforts of serious American newspapers. There are some normal London papers.

The London Times and the Guardian, both broadsheets, are rather standard. But there is a sliding scale of responsible journalism and, generally, the circulation figures are in inverse proportion to quality.

THE ACKNOWLEDGED top of the sleaze heap is the tabloid, or half-sized paper, the Daily Sun and its Sunday counterpart, News of the World. It also has a circulation of 3.2 million. The Mirror isn't much better. And those two are weeping over the absence of John McEnroe, who has been the answer to their prayers for sensationalism.

The News of the World, in its Sunday magazine, couldn't do without Mac. It used pictures of him, Tatum O'Neal and their baby, Kevin, on the cover yesterday.

But that was calm compared with the week's top (or bottom) offerings.

Before the tournament began, retired British player Sue Barker poured her heart out to the Sunday Mirror. "Loneliness, Love and Money, the truth about tennis" was the main headline, and "The Locker Room Lesbians" was at the bottom of the page.

THE LATTER story said nothing new - Martina Navratilova and Billie Jean King have been out of the closet for years - just the old stuff dragged out again for this year's tournament.

The Star got in the Wimbledon mood by having its daily nude, posing on page 3 each morning, decked out with a tennis racket. Of course, that was all she was wearing.

The Star fed information on the top players through a computer dating service and announced the matchups. Ivan Lendl and Anne Hobbs?

When Britian's Jo Durie defeated Regina Marsikova in the first round, the Sun said, "Jo Shuts Away Jailbird." Marsikova spent a year in prison for vehicular homicide two years ago.

WHEN JOHN Lloyd, another Brit who is married to Chris Evert Lloyd, announced his retirement after losing in the first round, the Mirror called him "A Loser to Love," then scolded Chris for not quitting tennis so John could be a father, since he couldn't be a top tennis player. The next day, the paper called Chris "The Bread Winner."

The Daily Mail encouraged Lendl to "Go On, Smile." I bet he won't. At least not for them.

Not all are bad. Rex Bellamy writes a delightful column for the Times. From Friday's piece: "The most interesting service on view yesterday . . . was that of Milan Srejber, who is 6 feet, 7 1/2 inches tall and - just to tidy up the details - wears size 13 1/2 shoes. When Srejber needs a classy pair of walking shoes, large cows live in dread."

A Today writer has a nice touch. When Mats Wilander came back to subdue Britian's most promising up-and-comer, Andrew Castle, it was written: "Wilander . . . was not going to play second fiddle to a fantasy."

IN AN interview of Pat Cash Saturday, the Sun reported, "Mats says you're not good enough to beat him."

Cash, a little stunned because Wilander is one of the most modest players on the circuit, said, "We'll see Monday."

Another reporter explained Wilander had really questioned whether Cash, who had his appendix out four weeks ago today, was fit enough to win. Cash, a wise look on his face, turned to the Sun reporter and asked him what paper he wrote for.

"The Sun," the reporter said.

"Now I understand," Cash said.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:39 PM   #483

Navratilova bored with breezing
Chicago Sun-Times
Monday, June 30, 1986
From Sun-Times Wires

WIMBLEDON, England - Life on the tennis courts has become so matter of fact for Martina Navratilova that she is advertising for someone to provide a challenge.

In her first three matches Navratilova didn't face anyone ranked better than 92 and she has lost only 11 games. Today she faces Isabelle Demongeot of France, ranked No. 118.

"I hope this girl plays well," Navratilova said. "I want to get some good match play. You don't want to just roll over people and then come across someone tough in the semis when you haven't played anyone that can threaten you.

"Chris (Evert Lloyd) has a really tough draw. I want people to play well against me. I want a little test here, but I'd rather win than be tested that well and end up losing."

Lloyd has faced a struggle for survival every time she steps on court. Today she will have to contend with 16th seed Kathy Jordan, one of the most dangerous players in the world on grass.

PRESSURE ON BORIS: Just as in the French Open earlier this month, Boris Becker is going to have to prove himself against Sweden's Mikael Pernfors if he is to retain his crown.

The difference this time is Pernfors' confidence, which has soared since he reached the final on the red clay at Paris and the fourth round here.

On clay, a surface that negate's Becker's power game, Pernfors beat Becker. Today's they meet on grass, where Becker has reigned supreme.

But Australian Paul McNamee, who fell before the booming serves and volleys of Becker Saturday, believes the German wunderkind is ready to topple.

"There's so much pressure on him, people saying how well he was playing, the empire was ready to crumble a bit today," McNamee said after his loss.

Becker admits to the pressure.

"It's much harder here than last year," he said. "Last year I came in as a nobody and this year I'm the defending champion. And a lot of people expect me to make it to the finals, or even to win it."

McNamee said Becker is good enough to win Wimbledon .

"But as you could see, he's his own worst enemy, putting so much

pressure on himself," he said. "And he can't win it in that frame of

mind. As soon as the match (Saturday) got close, he started freaking out."

Pernfors is a two-time NCAA champion at Georgia.

"I went in with the attitude in Paris that I wasn't going to be blown off the court, so I'm just going to have to go in with the same attitude here," Pernfors said. "I just hope I don't get blown off the court."

EASY DOES IT: Ivan Lendl has received less attention than might be expected for a No. 1 seed with 76 victories in his last 79 matches. And Lendl says that suits him fine.

Unlike Navratilova, Lendl will take his victories as easy as he can get them, and he has yet to drop a set in three matches. Today faces American Matt Anger, ranked 29th in the world.

Lendl, the current U.S. and French champion, never has played in a Wimbledon final, but the setting is perfect for him this time. He has only one seeded player remaining in his half of the draw, No. 10 Tim Mayotte.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:39 PM   #484

Martina and Chris win at Wimbledon
Houston Chronicle
Monday, June 30, 1986
Associated Press

WIMBLEDON, England - Defending women's champion Martina Navratilova and her archrival, Chris Evert Lloyd, reached the quarterfinals at Wimbledon today, Navratilova with ease and Evert Lloyd with a sensational turnabout.

The men's No. 7 seed, Henri Leconte of France, and two other women's seeds, No. 7 Helena Sukova and No. 10 Gabriela Sabatini, also advanced, as did unseeded players Lori McNeil of Houston and Slobodan Zivojinovic of Yugoslavia.

Hana Mandlikova also advanced easily with a win over the women's 11th seed, Carling Bassett of Canada, 6-4, 7-6, in one of the first matches of this surprise-filled tournament to pit seed vs. seed.

But like the warm, sunny weather that has graced much of this year's tournament, the upsets continued as the second week began on the famed grass courts.

Manuela Maleeva, the women's eighth seed from Bulgaria, was beaten 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 in the fourth round by Betina Bunge, a West German who reached the semifinals here in 1982.

Bunge won three of the last four games of the opening set and eased through the second and third sets to join Sabatini in the quarterfinals.

''Manuela didn't make any errors in the first set at all, and she had great returns," said Bunge. "I just tried to keep going and hoping she'd start missing. I'm glad I won that game at 5-0, that way I could go into the second set a little bit looser."

Of her next match against Navratilova, Bunge said, "On grass, there isn't much you can try, especially against Martina. I just have to concentrate on what I have to do."

And Brad Gilbert, the 12th men's seed from the United States, fell to Czechoslovakia's Miloslav Mecir 3-6, 7-6, 6-1, 6-2.

Maleeva was the seventh women's seed and Gilbert the 10th men's seed to be eliminated in the tournament's first four rounds.

Navratilova, seeded No. 1 and going for her fifth consecutive Wimbledon title, beat Isabelle Demongeot of France 6-3, 6-3, taking just over an hour and six match points.

"I wasn't too thrilled about not finishing up the match a little better," said Navratilova, who has dropped just 17 games in four matches.

"I was in a good frame of mind, I stayed positive," she said. "Demongeot is a tough player. She'll be going up into the 50s (in the rankings) if she keeps playing like this."

But Evert Lloyd, the French Open champion and seeded No. 2, had to overcome a 5-1 deficit in the first set to defeat 16th-seeded Kathy Jordan of the United States 7-5, 6-2.

''I let her set the momentum, maybe I didn't start that aggressively," said Evert Lloyd. "I sensed she was playing so well, was so keyed up, so hyper, then I sensed she was disappointed she couldn't keep it up."

Jordan, who beat Evert Lloyd here three years ago, began netting her slice backhand and could not outsteady her opponent. The frustrated Jordan kicked her racket along the ground late in the first set after she let five set-point opportunities slip away.

Leconte beat John Fitzgerald of Ausrtralia 7-6, 6-7, 6-2, 6-3; Sabatini, of Argentina, downed Italy's Raffaella Reggi 6-4, 1-6, 6-3; and Sukova, of Czechoslovakia, defeated Robin White of the United States 6-3, 6-0. Sweden's Catarina Lindqvist edged nervously into the quarterfinals by defeating Dianne Balestrat of Australia 7-6, 7-5.

McNeil defeated fellow American Betsy Nagelsen 7-5, 6-1, while Zivojinovic eliminated Christ Van Rensburg of South Africa 7-6 (7-4), 7-5, 4-6, 7-5.

All remaining players in both the men's and women's singles fields were on court today, with huge crowds jamming the grounds of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club and Britain's Princess Diana among the guests in the Royal Box on Centre Court.

The men's top seed, Ivan Lendl, was to meet American Matt Anger, and defending champion Boris Becker, the No. 4 seed, played No. 13 Mikael Pernfors of Sweden, amid some indications that Becker was having problems with his ankle and his concentration.

Much of Becker's success depends on his destructive serving power. After the 18-year-old West German served 12 double-faults in his four-set victory over Australian Paul McNamee on Saturday, his critics brought out the knives.

Under the headline "King Becker faces double trouble," the Sunday Express said that a string of double-faults against McNamee "left a question mark over Becker's ability to cope with the hard and powerful men he still has to face."

McNamee, making his 10th Wimbledon appearance, was able to cast an experienced eye over the form of the young West German, and added fuel to the argument.

"The empire was ready to crumble today. He is his own worst enemy," McNamee said.

"He is freaking out when it gets close," the 31-year-old Australian added.

Another British newspaper, the tabloid Mail, highlighted an Achilles' tendon injury Becker picked up during the match.

Becker, who still is troubled by an inflamed finger, admitted after the match that the tendon strain made it difficult to push off from his right foot for two or three games, but there was no trouble after that.

Becker acknowledged the pressure on him.

"Because I am the champion, people are trying 110 percent to beat me. So I have got to try 120 percent."
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #485

STRUGGLING LLOYD TOPS JORDAN
The New York Times
July 1, 1986
Peter Alfano

From the vantage point of Chris Evert Lloyd and the other quarterfinalists in the bottom half of the draw, there really isn't anyone in the top half who can prevent Martina Navratilova from reaching the Wimbledon final for the fifth consecutive year.

''Hit and giggle time,'' was the way Miss Navratilova described her practice session on Sunday when no matches were scheduled. Hit and giggle, however, also is the best way to describe her first four rounds of play.

The top-ranked player in the world has coasted to victory over Amanda Dingwall, Jane Forman, Kristin Kinney and today, Isabella Demongeot of France, 6-3, 6-3. All of her opponents have been ranked well above 100.

"She's not that tall or strong. She doesn't hit the ball hard, but she sure goes all out on the serve, and it's a really good serve," said Navratilova about Demongeot.

Mrs. Lloyd, however, has found this to be anything but a routine Wimbledon. She and her doubles partner Anne White, the No. 4 seeded team, have already been eliminated by the unseeded Joanne Russell and Gretchen Rush.

Erratic Groundstrokes

Her singles matches have been uneven, marked by stretches when her groundstrokes - usually so steady they are almost hypnotic - are scattered around the court like pollen. Kathy Jordan, an old nemisis who eliminated Mrs. Lloyd here in 1983, had a chance to repeat history today but lost her poise when ahead by two breaks in the first set and eventually lost, 7-5, 6-2.

Miss Jordan was ahead, 5-1, and serving for the first set when she was broken, double-faulting on break point. She then lost 5 set points on Mrs. Lloyd's serve, and became so frustrated, she slugged a ball into the grandstand, drawing a warning from the chair umpire.

Serving again for the set at 5-3, Miss Jordan was broken a second time, suddenly losing the timing on her first serve. The score was tied but it was advantage, Mrs. Lloyd.

''Kathy struts around with a confident air when some of my opponents don't,'' Mrs. Lloyd said. ''But this time, I was the one with my head down. I sensed she thought things were slipping away.''

They were. Mrs. Lloyd has never been in danger of losing thus far but beginning with today's quarterfinal match against Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia, seeded No. 7, her opponents will be better equipped to take advantage of any erratic play. Her biggest obstacle could come in the semifinals, provided Hana Mandlikova, also from Czechoslovakia and seeded third, wins her quarterfinal match against the unheralded American Lori McNeil.

Miss Mandlikova has not dropped a set in winning four matches. Carling Bassett of Canada was her latest victim, 6-4, 7-6. ''I seem to play better in grand slam tournaments and I feel pleased about that,'' Miss Mandlikova said. ''They mean more to me.

''I think the bad thing for me is that Chris and Martina are great players and I'm playing at the same time. I've been No. 3 for two and a half or three years and I just wish they're still around when I'm No. 1.''

In other round-of-16 matches, Bettina Bunge defeated Manuela Maleeva, seeded No. 8, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3; Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina beat Raffaella Reggi of Italy, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3; Catarina Lindqvist of Sweden beat Diane Balestrat of Australia, 7-6, 7-5; Miss McNeil beat her fellow American Betsy Nagelsen, 7-5, 6-1, and Miss Sukova defeated Robin White of the United States, 6-3, 6-0.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #486

While I realize it was probably fine with, and possibly beneficial to, Mandlikova, there is something wrong when the third seed and U.S. Open title holder hasn't been requested in the interview room until the round of 16.

JORDAN FOLDS TENT IN LOSS TO LLOYD
The Columbus Dispatch
Tuesday, July 1, 1986
Zan Hale, Dispatch Sports Reporter

Kathy Jordan shouldn't have trouble getting home to Pennsylvania.

She can fold herself up, slip inside an envelope and return airmail.

Jordan had practice folding yesterday as she lost to Chris Evert Lloyd in the round of 16 at Wimbledon.

Jordan came out sizzling and built a 5-1, 30-0 lead. She choked away five set points and lost 7-5, 6-2.

Two of Jordan's set points, which came when Lloyd was serving down 2-5, were lost on close calls. Jordan blasted a ball into the stands in frustration.

"I think I got ripped out of a call at set point and I think it affected me," Jordan said. "It shouldn't have. Then the momentum changed."

Lloyd ran off 10 straight games.

"When she hit the ball into the stands, I sensed that maybe she felt it was slipping away a little bit," Lloyd said. "The way she played the first six games, I don't know if she could have kept it up. I sensed she was getting a little bit annoyed with herself."

Third-seeded Hana Mandlikova has been sneaking through the draw, winning easily and not drawing any attention. Yesterday, when she defeated 11th-seeded Carling Bassett 6-4, 7-6, was the first time she played on one of the show courts and the first time she was requested in the interview room.

"It doesn't matter to me that people assume that Chris and Martina (Navratilova) are going to meet each other in the final," said Mandlikova, the 1981 Wimbledon runner-up to Lloyd.

"It puts less pressure on me, which I like."

Mandlikova has yet to lose a set in her victories over Joy Tacon, Catherine Tanvier, Iva Budarova and Bassett.

"I feel I've learned to handle any pressure now, compared to four or five years ago," Mandlikova said.

"This is maybe a bad time for me, because they (Navratilova and Lloyd) are really great players. Being around the same time is very difficult. I'm No. 3 for three years, and of course, I am trying, but they're so good. I'm good also. I wish they would still be around when I'm No. 1."

Defending champion Boris Becker was warned during his 6-3, 7-6, 6-2 victory over Mikael Pernfors for receiving coaching from Gunther Bosch.

"I didn't say a word," Becker said. "I didn't make any faces.

"I'm watching Guther and it has nothing to do with it if he gives me tips. He has been with me 10 years. It's automatic."

Bosch isn't the one who served 23 aces against Pernfors. Becker won one game with four straight aces.

"If he can play like this, and serve like this, there's no way you can beat him," said Pernfors, who lost to Ivan Lendl in the French Open final and was seeded 13th here.

"The only time you can break him is when he serves two double faults, and then you're lucky on a return, and he falls down on the next ball."

Becker also had nine double faults.

Becker bemoaned West Germany's defeat in the World Cup soccer match Sunday night.

"Of course I'm disappointed, but this is life. Germany can't win them all," he said.

Becker's new promotional contract with Coca-Cola has cost him $1,000. He was fined for wearing patches larger than the regulation 2 square inches total on his warm-up and his shirt.

The tournament spokesman who announced the fine wouldn't say what product the patch plugged. "That would be commercialism," he said.

NOTES - With the 37,438 people yesterday, a total of 247,226 has attended the first seven days of Wimbledon this year. There is an aggregate increase of 10,443 over the first seven days attendance of 1985. . . . With his victory over Christo Van Rensburg, unseeded Slobodan Zivojinovic became the first Yugoslavian to reach the quarterfinals since 1967 when Nikki Pilic advanced to the semis. . . . It could still be an all-Czechoslovakian final with Ivan Lendl vs. Miloslav Mecir. Czechoslovakia is the only country to have two players in the final eight.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:41 PM   #487

Tennis: McNeil shows her potential and serves notice
The Times
London, England
Tuesday, July 1, 1986
DAVID POWELL

Lori McNeil is the second best player to emerge from the free coaching programme which ran for seven years in Macgregor Park, Houston, for youngsters who could not afford lessons. The best, Zina Garrison, was made ninth seed for the women's singles at Wimbledon but went out last Thursday to Anne Hobbs from Cheshire. Today, Miss McNeil has the chance to do as Miss Garrison did last year and win a place in the semi-finals.

Like Miss Garrison, Miss McNeil is black. Neither was born when Althea Gibson has last given Wimbledon a black semi-finalist in the women's singles. Miss McNeil has yet to drop a set and does not intend to share a court with Hana Mandlikova, the No 3 seed, just to make up the numbers.

'I'm not satisfied yet,' Miss McNeil said. 'I think I have a chance against her. I have played her twice and lost but I'm doing much better know.'

Miss McNeil is ranked 77th in the world, had not seen a grass court until 2 1/2 years ago and in two previous Wimbledon singles had failed to win a match. Even after her 7-5, 6-1 victory over Betsy Nagelsen, of the United States, yesterday she mingled with the crowds unnoticed.

John Wilkerson was no more than a journeyman coach until Miss Garrison and Miss McNeil came along. But, taking the plaudits from those who knew the sacrifices he had made, here was a man deserving every pat on the back.

'It was my idea to start a summer programme for minority kids in Houston and Zina and Lori began about a month apart in 1974. I took over a tennis centre which was predominantly white. I found the only kids I was getting was the rich kids and they were not the kind I wanted. So we gave free lessons all day long every day.

Macgregor Park is situated in what might be euphemistically described as one of Houston's less desirable districts. Miss McNeil tried tennis because her mother showed an interest and now, at the age of 22, she is guaranteed at least pounds 15,025 in prize-money. 'We played with the guys because they always made us push harder,' Miss McNeil recalls.

Miss McNeil's shortcomings are more of a mental than physical nature. She attacks the net at every opportunity, as does Miss Garrison, and has a backhand of enviable reliability. She is as refreshing to watch as she is to engage in conversation. Her flaw has been her tendency to 'choke' and she was beaten by Manuela Maleeva at Egbaston after being in a winning position.

'The main thing today was that she was concentrating,' Wilkerson said. 'She has always been a good player but has never fulfilled her potential. She has the ideal game for this surface.'

Last year, when Boris Becker gave the game a new hero, he became the first unseeded player to win the men's singles title. Miss McNeil would like to do the same for the women. But if she is to give the 100th championship their greatest ever fairytale she will probably have to defeat the top three seeds. The title may seem as far off as the back streets of Houston are from the strawberries of Wimbledon but Wilkerson was serious when he said: 'Lori's chances are good from here on in'.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:41 PM   #488

At Hallowed Wimbledon, It Takes a Champion to Know a Champion
July 1, 1986
MIKE DOWNEY
Los Angeles Times

WIMBLEDON, England — Gene Mako, a Los Angeles art dealer who twice won the Wimbledon doubles with Don Budge, was strolling past one of the All England Club's grass courts the other day when he noticed a young black woman warming up for a match.

"Who's that kid?" he asked Bud Collins of NBC.

"Lori McNeil," he was told.

"She any good?" Mako asked.

"Not bad, not bad," he was told.

"Well, she's going to be good," Mako said. "You can tell just from the way she moves."

Good judge, good call. Three Americans moved Monday to the Wimbledon women's singles quarterfinals: Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert Lloyd and Lori McNeil.

Relatively unknown and unnoticed, McNeil, 22, of Houston, not only has stayed alive in the tournament, she has not even dropped a set. This is someone who had never even won a match here before.

McNeil is the San Diego-born daughter of Charlie McNeil, who used to play defensive back for the San Diego Chargers. Unseeded and ranked 78th in the world, she has earned a shot at No. 3 seed Hana Mandlikova by beating American Betsy Nagelsen (who had eliminated Pam Shriver), 7-5, 6-1, for her fourth straight straight-set match.

McNeil attended high school in Houston with Zina Garrison, who made the semifinals here last year. Althea Gibson, the 1957-58 women's champion, and Arthur Ashe, the 1975 men's champion, are the only black players who have done better than these young Texans.

"I'm still not satisfied," McNeil said Monday. "I can play better. But then again, I never dreamed I'd do so well. When I got here, I didn't even look at the draw to see who I'd play."

McNeil and Garrison both came out of John Wilkerson's public-parks program in Houston. McNeil was undecided whether to turn pro upon finishing high school, as Garrison did, until, following her parents' wishes, she enrolled at Oklahoma State.

In 1983, she decided to take a break from school and join the pro tour at the Virginia Slims of Bakersfield event, where she reached the semifinals. Since then, she has been struggling.

"I've had a habit of blowing up after good starts," McNeil said. "I'm hoping to put that behind me."

Pretty good place to start.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:42 PM   #489

EVERT, 31, BATTLES BLUES AS SHE FIGHTS OFF FOES
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, July 1, 1986
EDWIN POPE

Kathy Jordan had Chris Evert Lloyd down by 5-2 and five set points in their first set Monday.

The Ice Queen was melting before stupefied eyes in Wimbledon's quirkiest fourth-round match in years.

Then Jordan threw a tantrum over a line call and whammed a ball into the opposite end of the stands.

Almost imperceptibly, The Ice Queen smiled, and Jordan froze.

"The whole body language out there changed," Chris said. "I play a lot of people who go around with their heads down figuring they're going to lose to me no matter what, but Kathy's not that way, especially since she knocked me out in the third round in 1983. For a while today, she was strutting, and it was me with my head down."

Then Kathy popped her cork and Chris broke into a "10-game trot," as the British call a winning streak.

Evert won the last six games of the set for 7-5, and the first four games of her 6-2 second and final set victory.

Does this sound like a soul adrift?

A queen in personal crisis at 31?

Tennis' long-time darling on emotional tenterhooks?

An exquisitely lovely woman whose nonpareil standard of sportsmanship would seem to have immunized her to such episodes as a recently revealed affair with rock star Adam Faith during in her seven-year marriage to John Lloyd?

Hardly.

Still, the questions pop up.

Is she so conditioned to the jet-set existence of her past 15 years that she is incapable of enjoying a routine domestic relationship with her husband?

"We get into a rut . . . play tennis . . . go to a movie . . . watch TV . . . but I keep saying, 'John, there has to be more,' " Life magazine quoted her.

Don't most married couples do those very things? (And don't a lot of them complain about it, too?)

I obviously qualify as neither psychiatrist nor marriage counselor. But the times grow more frequent when Chris at least seems to be a $24 million earner who cannot truly enjoy the simplest pleasures.

The little girl so embraced by not only Fort Lauderdale but all the tennis world is no longer the uncomplicated automaton she so long appeared.

To sensitive questions in open press conferences, Chris stares as though she has just found something dead in the bottom of a glass of one of her biggest commercial account's glasses of iced tea.

At such times, it is difficult to escape the impression that she says only what she feels will best suit her purposes as a winner of 18 Grand Slam tournaments.

A stranger's first reaction could be, "Would I buy a used car from this woman?"

Other times, she comes straight on.

"Sometimes I wish I had had more fun the last 10 years," she said on a BBC-TV show. "I found out that being No. 1 is not always the essence of happiness."

She added, shockingly to those who know and admire her deep bond to family, "Sometimes I wish my father (Jimmy, pro at Fort Lauderdale's Holiday Park) had been a little more lenient."

Amateur shrinks will wonder from this if maybe Chris has become a little more reckless personally because of her deeply subliminal feeling that she was, in effect, robbed of her youth.

That may be sheer balderdash.

This is cold fact: Chris has had a hard time in this Wimbledon after winning it three times and losing seven finals, and it isn't going to get any easier.

She has run into some very tough players -- Mary Joe Fernandez, Pam Casale, Kathy Horvath and Jordan.

"I need these kinds of opponents to get match-tough," she said.

But she cannot ignore the inordinately easier path that Martina Navratilova has had. In the first four rounds, the six-time champion has not faced an opponent rated above 105th in the world.

Meanwhile, over Chris, heavier and heavier hangs the specter of the day when she can no longer vent whatever frustrations she may have by beating the brains out of tennis opponents.

"I enjoy practicing more because the end is coming near," she said. "Before, I worked hard because I hate to lose so much. But now I actually enjoy it."

She doesn't enjoy losing to Martina. And Navratilova's 36-33 edge against Chris in sports' greatest long-term rivalry is terribly deceptive. Martina has won 23 of their past 28 matches and hasn't lost to Chris on grass since the 1982 Australian Open.

I suspect Chris doesn't enjoy having to agonize through new fitness regimens that Martina takes as a matter of both course and choice.

Chris can't enjoy being a 7-2 shot to win this Wimbledon while Martina is 2-7.

She can't enjoy husband John chucking his singles career in disgust. "Respect is very important in a marriage," she has said, "and I started losing respect for John in '81." That's when she went extra-marital.

Things are better now, but how long will they be if John isn't even out there trying to recapture the singles touch that carried him as high as No. 24 worldwide in '78?

Chris is disturbed because John has indicated he is through playing even Davis Cup singles. She is angry as well because, she said, "England didn't give him enough credit for carrying their Davis Cup team."

She added, "He'll probably kill me for saying this, but I think John should keep playing Davis Cup singles."

Chris said part of her marital problem was caused by long, travel-caused separations from John.

"Absence doesn't always make the heart grow fonder," she said. "A week is OK. But when you get into three of four weeks, you develop so much independence . . ."

Christian Dior, who knows a thing a two about women, once said, "Women are most fascinating during their 30s after they have run a few races and know how to pace themselves."

Chris Evert has run hundreds of thousands of races across tennis courts, and seldom lost. But, at 31, does she know how to pace herself for what life is now unfolding for her or withholding from her?

Some questions have no answers, and this may be one of them.

It would be closer to a soap opera if it did not involve a woman who has represented so much of what is grand and glorious about tennis.

Today she plays Helena Sukova in the quarterfinals. That will produce an answer.

For the other questions, there is only guesswork. Chris Evert Lloyd must be guessing harder than anyone.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:42 PM   #490

JORDAN FEELS STING OF EVERT`S REVENGE
Sun-Sentinel
Tuesday, July 1, 1986
Jim Sarni

WIMBLEDON, England -- It was a dark and foreboding Friday three years ago when a sub-par Chris Evert Lloyd lost to Kathy Jordan on Court 1 at Wimbledon.

The surprising 6-1, 7-6 defeat in the Round of 32 kept Evert out of a Grand Slam semifinal for the first time.

Evert had not missed one in 35 events before and has not missed one in 10 since.

Second-seeded Evert and No. 16 Jordan returned to the scene of the crime Monday -- Court 1. But this time the sun was shining and Evert was smiling.

Jordan was the one who was sick, blowing a 5-1 lead and squandering five set points. Evert won 10 consecutive games and the match 7-5, 6-2 to move into today`s quarterfinals against No. 7 Helena Sukova.

Top seed Martina Navratilova meets Bettina Bunge; No. 10 Gabriela Sabatini opposes No. 15 Catarina Lindqvist and No. 3 Hana Mandlikova plays Houston`s Lori McNeil, at No. 77 the surprise of the women`s field, in today`s other quarterfinal matches.

Evert, a win away from reaching her 46th Grand Slam semifinal, didn`t let Jordan`s quick start faze her.

"I felt I was playing well, and I wondered how long she could keep it up," said Evert, who is 12-3 against Jordan. "In the back of my mind, I knew I had lost to her on that court, and I was going to make sure she worked very hard to beat me again."

Jordan served for the first set at 5-1 but double-faulted at 15-40 to lose the game.

Evert then fell behind 15-40 on her serve. She saved two set points when Jordan hit a volley long and another volley into the net.

Jordan was unlucky on the third set point. She hit a forehand down the line that skipped off the tape and sailed wide.

Jordan missed long on the fourth set point, and Evert passed her with a backhand on the fifth set point.

When Evert finally won the game, Jordan was furious. She belted a ball into the stands and was warned for ball abuse.

"I think I got ripped out of a call (by a linesman) at one set point and I think it affected me," Jordan said. "It shouldn`t have. Then the momentum changed, and Chris was playing very well at that point."

Still, Jordan served again for the set at 5-3. But Evert passed her at 15-30 and again at 30-40.

"I started confidently stepping into my returns," Evert said. "I returned great."

Evert held serve at 15 for 5-all. Jordan again double-faulted on break point and Evert served out the set.

"When Kathy hit the ball into the stands, I felt she thought it was slipping away," Evert said. "She was so hyper and so keyed up. I think she got annoyed with herself because she couldn`t keep up that high level of play.

"So much of this game is body language. Kathy was strutting around when she was ahead and I had my head down. Then, when I caught up, she had her head down and I was strutting around."

For Evert, it`s one serve-and-volleyer down, two to go to reach the final. Evert is 12-0 against Sukova, 3-0 this year. Evert has won twice on grass, most recently in the 1984 Australian Open final (6-7, 6-1, 6-3).

"I`m going to have to return well against Sukova," Evert said. "She`s an aggressive player with a big serve, but so far she`s had an easy Wimbledon . It will come down to how well I serve and how well I return."

Navratilova finally gets some competition when she faces Bunge, a West German living in Key Biscayne, who beat No. 8 Manuela Maleeva 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 Monday.

Bunge lost to Navratilova 7-6, 6-3 last year in a third-round match that involved a bizarre ball-boy incident.

A ball boy accidently interrupted play on the first point of the tiebreaker. Bunge lost the replayed point and never recovered.

"Bunge will be a tough match," said Navratilova, who beat her fourth opponent ranked outside the Top 100, Isabelle Demongeot, 6-3, 6-3. "That`s good. I`m ready."
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:43 PM   #491

REMATCH IS NO REPEAT FOR LLOYD
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Tuesday, July 1, 1986
Al Morganti, Inquirer Staff Writer

For a very little while, it looked as if Wimbledon history would repeat itself on Court No. 1, where Chris Evert Lloyd was in a time warp against Kathy Jordan.

It was on that court, in 1983, that Lloyd lost to Jordan in the round of 32, ending a streak of 35 Grand Slam events in which Lloyd had reached at least the semifinals.

There were some tense moments for Lloyd yesterday, too. She was down by 5-1 in the first set. Her expected meeting with Martina Navratilova in the women's final would not arrive unless she could turn the tide against Jordan, a native of King of Prussia.

In the end, however, it was Jordan who turned the tide against herself. She lost five set points, and Lloyd went on to win 10 games in a row en route to a 7-5, 6-2 victory.

"It was in the back of my mind that she had beaten me on that court," Lloyd said. "I kept saying to myself, 'Hang in there and take your time, because the pace is going too fast.' I wondered if she could keep up that caliber of play. If she could, she deserved to win."

Jordan couldn't. She became enraged at herself and at line calls, once whacking a ball into the crowd.

Afterward, she declined to be interviewed. However, later in the day, she issued the following statement: "I think I got ripped out of a call at set point, and I think it affected me. Then the momentum changed."

Lloyd will meet Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia in the quarterfinals today. Sukova advanced with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Robin White of the United States.

In that same half of the draw, third-seeded Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia, who defeated Canada's Carling Bassett, will meet Lori McNeil of the United States, who defeated countrywoman Betsy Nagelsen.

In the other half, top-seeded Navratilova continued to roll, beating Isabelle Demongeot of France, 6-3, 6-3. She next will meet West Germany's Bettina Bunge, who defeated Manuela Maleeva of Bulgaria, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3. Argentina's Gabriela Sabatini defeated Raffaella Reggi of Italy, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3, and will meet Catarina Lindquist of Sweden, who eliminated Australia's Diane Balestrat, 7-6 (7-2), 7-5.

Defending champion Boris Becker is one of only three seeded players - Tim Mayotte and France's Henri Leconte are the others - who definitely will be in the men's quarterfinals. If top-seeded Ivan Lendl defeats Matt Anger in the conclusion of their match today, he would be a fourth.

Becker, seeded No. 4, rolled over Sweden's Mikael Pernfors, 6-3, 7-6 (7-2), 6-2, yesterday. He next will meet Miloslav Mecir of Czechoslovakia. Mecir defeated Brad Gilbert of the United States, 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-1, 6-2.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:43 PM   #492

Evert Lloyd survives challenge by Jordan
Star Tribune: Newspaper of the Twin Cities
Tuesday, July 1, 1986
Jerry Zgoda

Unpleasant memories returned to Chris Evert Lloyd when she was losing to Kathy Jordan 5-1 in the first set Monday.

Jordan is the only person ever to oust Evert Lloyd from a Grand Slam tournament before the semifinal round. She did it in 1983 at Wimbledon, in the same round (third) as yesterday's match.

"It was in the back of my mind, but I wasn't about to give her the match just because of that," said Evert Lloyd, the women's No. 2 seed.

Evert Lloyd survived four set points and then reeled off 10 straight games to bury Jordan, the No. 15 seed, 7-5, 6-2, to advance to today's quarterfinals.

Evert Lloyd, who defeated Martina Navratilova for the French Open title last month, had won eight of 11 previous matches with Jordan, but two of the three losses came on grass, once at Wimbledon and once at Eastbourne in 1984. Jordan came out yesterday and started blasting serve after serve at Evert Lloyd.

"I kept thinking, `Just hang in there,' " Evert Lloyd said. "I wondered if she could keep up that caliber of play. If she could, she deserved to win. She played so well, was so hyper and so keyed up, I think she got a little annoyed that she couldn't keep it up. I sensed maybe she felt it slipping away."

Jordan refused to appear for a post-match interview and later released written comments.

Defending men's champion Boris Becker defeated French Open finalist Mikael Pernfors 6-3, 7-6, 6-2 to advance to the men's quarterfinals, avenging a loss to Pernfors in Paris last month. No. 1 seed Ivan Lendl struggled with unseeded American Matt Anger before the match was suspended because of darkness, tied 2-2 in the third set. Anger won the first set in a tiebreaker (9-7) and was leading 2-1 in a second-set tiebreaker before Lendl cranked out six straight winners. The match will be resumed today.

Only three seeded men players have secured spots in Wednesday's quarterfinals - No. 4 Becker; No. 7 Henri Leconte, who defeated John Fitzgerald 7-6, 6-7, 6-2, 6-3; and No. 10 Tim Mayotte, who advanced with a 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 victory over Eddie Edwards. In other men's matches, Yugoslav Slobodan Zivojinoovic dumped South African Christo van Rensburg 7-6, 7-5, 4-6, 7-5; India's Ramesh Krishnan defeated West German Eric Jelen 6-4, 7-6, 6-2, and Czech Miroslav Mecir beat American Brad Gilbert 7-5, 6-7, 6-3, 6-3.

In women's matches, No. 3 Hana Mandlikova defeated No. 11 Carling Bassett 6-4, 7-6; No. 1 Navratilova ousted France's Isabelle Demongeot 6-3, 6-3; unseeded Betina Bunge of West Germany upset No. 8 Manuela Maleeva of Bulgaria 3-6, 6-2, 6-3.; No. 10 Gabriela Sabatini dropped Italy's Raffaella Reggi 6-4, 1-6, 6-3; American Lori McNeil defeated American Betsy Nagelsen 7-5, 6-1; Catarina Lindqvist of Sweden beat Australian Dianne Balestrat 7-6, 7-5, and No. 7 Helena Sukova of Czechoslavakia breezed past American Robin White 6-3, 6-0.

In today's quarterfinals, Navratilova will play Bunge, Sabatini meets Lindqvist, McNeil plays Mandlikova. Evert Lloyd and Sukova meet in what may be the day's most competitive match.

"It was good that I got a little scare today," Evert Lloyd said. "Kathy was the first serve-and-volleyer I've played here and I needed that. Sukova hasn't had any tough matches so far and maybe that will show tomorrow."

Wimbledon notes - Becker, who signed a multimillion-dollar advertising deal with Coca-Cola last week, was fined $1,000 yesterday for wearing over-sized advertisements on his warmup jacket and shorts. "I don't intend to announce which advertisements were in violation, because that'd be commercialization," a Wimbledon spokesman said. ... Yesterday's attendance was 37,438, which was 348 shy of the record for the second Monday, set last year. The total attendance through seven days is 247,226, up almost 10,500 from a year ago.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:44 PM   #493

CASH OVERFLOW AT WIMBLEDON
Daily News of Los Angeles
Tuesday, July 1, 1986
JOE JARES, Daily News Columnist

WIMBLEDON, England -- Australian Pat Cash didn't think he was going to win even his first-round match at Wimbledon '86. He had good reasons to be pessimistic:

* He was ranked 413th in the world, which ordinarily is far too low to get into the tournament.

* He'd returned to the courts only in February after nine months out nursing a bad back.

He wasn't able to practice serving until a week before Wimbledon started.

Yet on Monday, Cash, 21, won his fourth straight match, pulling off the biggest upset of the fortnight by beating second-seeded Swede Mats Wilander, 4-6, 7-5, 6-4, 6-3.

In other significant matches, No. 1-seeded Ivan Lendl ran into trouble with ex-USC star Matt Anger. The two were tied at one set and two games apiece when the match play was suspended because of darkness. Defending champion Boris Becker beat Mikael Pernfors, Martina Navratilova defeated Isabelle Demongeot, and Chris Evert Lloyd beat Kathy Jordan.

"I didn't think I was going to win my first match," Cash said. "I was one day away from saying, 'Forget about it,' and almost going home.

"If you'd had a crystal ball and said I was going to beat Mats Wilander in the round of 16, I'd have thrown it in your face. I wouldn't have believed you."

Cash served and returned well in the two-hour, 53-minute battle. But most impressive were his volleys, the best of which was an outstanding diving backhand that blooped the ball just over the net.

"What he does really well is cover the net," Wilander said. "It felt like for me to pass him, he really had to go the wrong way. If he goes the right way, he gets every one."

Cash's play has boosted him from 413 to 103, the largest one-tournament jump in the history of the Association of Tennis Professionals computer rankings.

Once ranked seventh in the world (which is probably why Wimbledon let him in as a "wild card"), Cash has impressed the schoolgirls as much as the tennis aficionados. The ardent admirers squeal and call out to him between points.

Perhaps they don't know that he has a gorgeous Norwegian girlfriend, model Anne-Britt Kristiansen, who gave birth to his son May 27, just three days before Cash took his own turn in the hospital.

"I might send my surgeon a ticket," he said Monday.

Darkness perhaps prevented another Centre Court upset in the Lendl-Anger match, which will be resumed today.

Anger, of Pleasanton, is a former All-America at USC and won the Wimbledon junior title in 1981.

Becker had a few anxious moments before eliminating Pernfors, the last of the male Swedes, 6-3, 7-6 (7-2), 6-2.

(Becker was fined $1,000 for having an oversize logo on his tennis sweats.)

Charging into the quarterfinals with Cash and Becker were Tim Mayotte, U.S., over Eddie Edwards, South Africa; Slobodan Zivojinovic, Yugoslavia, over Christovan Rensburg, South Africa; Ramesh Krishnan, India, over Eric Jelen, West Germany; Miloslav Mecir, Czechoslovakia, over Brad Gilbert, U.S.; and Henri Leconte, France, over John Fitzgerald, Australia.

Evert Lloyd and Navratilova continued their marches to the Saturday final, which would be their sixth against each other here. But not without drama on Court One.

Evert Lloyd fell behind, 5-1, in the first set against Jordan, of King of Prussia, Pa. The No. 2 seed then won 10 straight games, inspiring her foe to such depths of disgust that she belted a home run into the stands. She was warned by the umpire.

In the eighth game of the first set, Jordan had five break points but won none. On one of the break-point rallies, an Evert Lloyd shot landed on the baseline -- Jordan was that close to winning the set, 6-2.

". . . I kept thinking to myself, 'Hang in there and take your time, because the pace is going so fast.' " Evert Lloyd said. "I wasn't too disappointed, because I didn't feel like I was playing badly. I wondered if she could keep up that caliber of play, but it was in the back of my mind that I had lost to her on that court (1983). . . .

"When she hit the ball into the stands I sensed that maybe she felt it was slipping away a little bit."

Evert Lloyd will now try to avoid being Czechmated and overmatched en route to what would be her fourth Wimbledon title. Her next opponent is Helena Sukova, most likely followed by Hana Mandlikova and Navratilova (a naturalized American).

On Centre Court, Demongeot, 19, of France, showed promise, but defending champion Navratilova eliminated her, 6-3, 6-3.

Navratilova's straight-set, bum-of-the-day-club victims so far: Amanda Dingwall (106th in the world), Jane Forman (161), Krispin Kinney (108) and Demongeot (116).

Her quarterfinal opposition today figures to be a bit tougher: Bettina Bunge of West Germany, who upset No. 8 seed Manuela Maleeva, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3.

In other fourth-round matches, Sukova beat Robin White, U.S., 6-3, 6-0, Mandlikova beat Canada's Carling Bassett, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2), Lori McNeil, U.S., defeated Betsy Nagelsen, U.S., 7-5, 6-1, Catarina Lindqvist, Sweden, beat Dianne Balestrat, Australia, 7-6 (7-2), 7-5, and Gabriela Sabatini, Argentina, beat Raffaella Reggi, Italy, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:44 PM   #494

LLOYD HAS THE RIGHT BODY LANGUAGE
Akron Beacon Journal
Tuesday, July 1, 1986
Associated Press

Kathy Jordan began her fourth-round women's singles match looking like a winner. Chris Evert Lloyd ended it with yet another victory.

"A lot of this game is body language,'' Lloyd said Monday, after downing Jordan 7-5, 6-2 to move into the quarterfinals at Wimbledon.

"A lot of players who play me or Martina (Navratilova, the No. 1 seed and defending champion) will walk around with the head down,'' Lloyd said. "And if they miss a few shots, they feel they're going to lose.

"But someone like Kathy, who has beaten me before in some big matches, she struts around with a confident air about her. The first five or six games today, I was the one with my head looking down at the ground.''

After the two held their serves to begin the match, Jordan ripped out to a 5-1 lead and was serving for the first set. But Lloyd staved off five set points and won 10 consecutive games to brush aside any idea Jordan might have had of eliminating the women's No. 2 seed.

Three years ago, Jordan beat Lloyd in Wimbledon 's third round and eventually gained the quarterfinals. In 1984, she upset Pam Shriver to reach the semifinals. And Jordan also upset Lloyd to gain the final at Eastbourne in 1984.

"At 1-5 down in the first set, I didn't feel that I was playing bad,'' Lloyd said. "Kathy just came out and was playing very, very well.

"I came so close a couple of times to breaking her serve, and then she'd throw a big serve. So I kept thinking to myself, Hang in there and take your time because the pace is going so fast.''

"I wasn't too disappointed because I didn't feel like I was playing badly. I wondered if she could keep up that caliber of play, but it was in the back of my mind that I had lost to her on that court.''

Jordan dropped her serve at 15 in the seventh game, double-faulting at game point.

She then had four set points on Lloyd's service in the eighth game. On one, she was visibly upset over a line call on a Lloyd forehand that Jordan felt was long.

"I think I got ripped out of a call at set point, and I think it affected me,'' Jordan said. "It shouldn't have. Then the momentum changed.''

Lloyd held to pull to 3-5, then broke Jordan again in the ninth game. In the 11th game, Jordan was at 40-30 before losing her service yet another time. "The way she played the first six games, I don't know if she could have kept it up,'' Lloyd said. "If she could, she deserved to win the match, and she would certainly have had a good chance to win the tournament, playing that well.

"But after I won that 5-1 game, I didn't feel I was completely out of the set. I sensed she was getting a little bit annoyed with herself because she couldn't keep up that level.

"A lot of this game is not playing games with your opponent, but holding your head up high and showing your opponent that you can compete with them. She does that very well and she's not intimidated by anybody.

"But as soon as I caught up, she was slowing down and I was strutting around.''
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #495

Navratilova cruises into semi-finals
The Times
London, England
July 2, 1986
REX BELLAMY, Tennis Correspondent

Martina Navratilova, Wimbledon champion for the past four years is evidently not satisfied. She has advanced to the semi-finals by winning 10 consecutive sets at a total cost of only 21 games. Until yesterday, the opposition had not been up to much. Bettina Bunge should have given her some decent exercise but was beaten 6-1, 6-3 in 56 minutes. Moreover, Miss Navratilova had a match point at 5-1.

It was a lovely afternoon again, with the sun high enough to reduce the players' shadows to dwarfish silhouettes. Miss Bunge had lost all 14 of her previous matches with Miss Navratilova but can be a graceful shot maker when given the time. On this occasion she was hustled about from start to finish and was reminded, as we all were, that speed is always hostile to the graces.

Miss Bunge must have felt like an archer challenging a gunslinger. There was always an air of fragility about her, largely because of the awesome combination of strength, agility and skill at the other end of the court. Miss Bunge became so frustrated, so confused, that sometimes even the bread and butter shots were too much for her.

During one such phase a colleague compared her with a lorry loaded with tomatoes that were spilling all over the road. Miss Bunge did achieve a sporadic splendour, like a spluttering firework. But there was not much she could do, because Miss Bunge is far too polite to think of anything as drastic as kicking Miss Navratilova in the shins when changing ends.

Miss Navratilova purred along as smoothly as one of those expensive cars that fill up a lane and are so well sprung that one could safely perch a drink on the bonnet. Tactically and technically, she hardly did a thing wrong. Watching her, one wondered why most people find tennis such a difficult game to play. She was like one of those infuriating school children who know all the answers and finish top of the class as if it was the natural thing to do.

Chris Lloyd, three times champion and seven times runner-up, had a strenuous and worrying ordeal before beating Helena Sukova 7-6, 4-6, 6-4. Miss Sukova, whose mother was runner-up in 1962, is a 6ft 2in fast-court specialist who beat Miss Navratilova in the 1984 Australian championship. She looks awfully big and stern but playfully wears calf-length socks: in her case, some way short of calf-length.

The first set lasted 50 minutes. The first 11 points all went with service and neither player had a break point until, obviously, the tie-break, an 18-point drama in which each had two set points and Miss Sukova was ultimately off target when aiming a comparatively easy backhand down the line. By that time it seemed that the set, even the entire match, might have to be decided by a penalty shoot-out.

Miss Sukova made a boldly competent start, seldom fell below the high standard she set herself, but finished fractionally second best in an impressive demonstration of grass-court skills. The patterns were limited but striking. The level of performance, by both players, was often breathtaking.

The problem for Miss Sukova was, of course, Mrs Lloyd, who looked so very feminine - when she waggles about between points, anyway - but plays the rallies as if plugged in to an electricity system that energizes both body and the mind. At times the hardness of lips and eyes, of muscles and sinews, is almost frightening. If Mrs Lloyd were a waitress one would not argue about the bill; just leave a big tip and say goodnight.

Gabriela Sabatini, aged 16 years and one month, became the youngest player in this century (and the first Argentinian) to reach the women's singles semi-finals. Christine Truman was four months older when she advanced to the last four in 1957. Yesterday Miss Sabatini won 6-2, 6-3 against Caterina Lindqvist, the only Swede - other than Carina Karlsson at Wimbledon two years ago - to get to the last eight on the women's singles in any of the three major championships.

Miss Lindqvist was also the only Swede of either sex in the singles quarter-finals. Her progress had been shaky, notably against Gretchen Rush and when saving three match points against Elizabeth Minter. This is the first time Miss Lindqvist has gone farther than the second round at Wimbledon and there were signs yesterday that she was feeling much like a rock-climber suspecting (half-way up) that the forces of gravity were going to win.

Come to think of it, if invited to make such a delectable choice one would invite the puckish, bouncy, tomboyish Miss Lindqvist to share a day's mountaineering in Sutherland, whereas Miss Sabatini, a sultry beauty with flowing black hair, would decorate the drawing room perfectly.

Miss Sabatini has a lurching, rolling, Borgish gait. She is not nimble but moves freely, as if on castors, as long as she has some warning about where to go. Her shot making is often a joy, her competitive flair precocious. There remains much scope for improvement - as there is with all of us, at 16 - and her present deficiencies should be exposed in her semi-final with Miss Navratilova. Mrs Lloyd will play Hana Mandlikova.

Ivan Lendl completed a shaky 6-7, 7-6, 6-4, 7-6 win over Matt Anger, one of those large, determined men who roll out of California as freely as sun-kissed oranges. In view of their respective reputations the match reflected more credit on the eager loser than it did on the anxious winner.

The quarter-finals will be Lendl v Tim Mayotte, Slobodan Zivojinovic v Ramesh Krishnan, Miloslav Mecir v Boris Becker, and Henri Leconte v Pat Cash. Friday's semi-finals will coincide with Leconte's twenty-third birthday.