1986 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:26 PM   #31
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1986

Starting the Florida circuit for 1986. To add to the confusion of two Virginia Slims Championships and no Australian Open, the Virginia Slims of Florida was held on Key Biscayne, while the Lipton was held in Boca West.

MANDLIKOVA TRIES TO ESCAPE INJURIES
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, January 22, 1986
JIM MARTZ

Just when it seemed Hana Mandlikova was muscling in on the Martina and Chris Show, injuries shoved her back in the wings.

In a dazzling display of tennis, Mandlikova defeated Chris Evert Lloyd and Martina Navratilova on consecutive days to win her first U.S. Open championship last September. Since then, she has played in just four tournaments and hasn't won a title.

She withdrew from a tournament in Chicago last fall because of a back ailment. Last week, she defaulted against Helen Kelesi in the second round of the Virginia Slims of New England because of a sore shoulder. And in between, she had her wisdom teeth pulled while back home in Czechoslovakia.

This week, she's undergoing twice-a-day treatments for her shoulder at her U.S. home in Boca West. And she's eager to return to the women's tour and challenge Navratilova and Evert in the $250,000 Virginia Slims of Florida Monday through Feb. 2 at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne on Key Biscayne.

"I'm very fragile and have to look after my body," Mandlikova said Tuesday. "But worrying about it doesn't help.

"I've had inflammation in my shoulder for a long time. After the Australian Open in December I went home and did nothing for 10 days when I had my wisdom teeth out. I tried to do too much in a hurry after that and haven't had time to take care of my shoulder. I couldn't serve or smash overheads at all last week, and my game is based on the serve."

Mandlikova, 23, has closed the gap Navratilova and Evert have held over her and has earned the No. 3 world ranking. "Playing-wise, there's not that much difference. They have more experience. I probably need time, but I don't know how much."

Even if her shoulder heals, Mandlikova will skip the $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships that will be held virtually in her back yard at Boca West, Feb. 10-23.

"I sometimes get bored in a two-week tournament, it's too long" she said.

GADUSEK A DARK HORSE

Guess who won the most women's tournaments last year other than Navratilova and Evert? Not Mandlikova, who captured three. It was Bonnie Gadusek with four.

Gadusek, a 22-year-old also in the Key Biscayne field, initially gained media interest for her comeback from a near-fatal neck injury as a youth. Then she received attention for her "Animal" nickname and for wearing animal-skin clothing on and off the court. Now the story of Gadusek is strictly tennis.

"Each tournament I won last year I played consistently and put my game together for a week," she said from her home in Largo, Fla. "Basically, I was doing the same routine in getting myself prepared. I guess I'm just getting better at it."

Now ranked 10th, her goal is to win her first Grand Slam tournament, or at least get past the quarterfinals for the first time. But she'll have to do it without the advice of legendary Coach Harry Hopman, who died recently.

"He started me at tennis at 9, and I owe everything I am in tennis to him," Gadusek said.

PASSING SHOTS

Hu Na and Miamians Kim Sands, Niurka Sodupe and Mercedes Paz are among 32 players in the Virginia Slims qualifying tournament Saturday and Sunday. Admission is free . . . About 80 percent of the 4,000 tickets for the final Feb. 2 have been sold. Call 579-0009 for information . . . Tournament officials for the Virginia Slims and the Lipton are looking for ball boys and ball girls. Call 579-0009 for the Virginia Slims and 483-5338 for the Lipton . . . Four nationally ranked college men's teams will compete in the fifth Ryder Classic Friday through Sunday at the Key Biscayne Hotel and Villas -- No. 2 Southern Methodist, No. 5 Pepperdine, No. 6 Clemson and No. 11 Miami . . . Ivan Lendl, whose passion away from tennis is golf, will stage the Ivan Lendl Golf Classic to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Feb. 8 at Gleneagles in Delray Beach.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:27 PM   #32

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

ROOKIES COURTING TENNIS FAME
The Miami Herald
Friday, January 24, 1986
JOSE DE CORDOBA

Off the court, she walks with a bit of a swagger, like a tough guy.

On the court, the toughness shows. She smashes tennis balls with a fast, fluid motion, and after making an especially difficult shot, takes a mock victory half-lap, fist outlined against the clear blue sky of Key Biscayne.

It is 11:30 a.m. Sweat stains 15-year-old Argentine prodigy Gabriela Sabatini's light pink T-shirt. The world's No. 12- ranked female tennis player has been hard at work in the hot sun for two hours.

Standing in the shade, leaning against the wire mesh fence dividing the tennis courts at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne, Patricio Apey, Sabatini's coach and self-described mentor, keeps up a steady murmur of encouragement and advice.

"Hit it there, hit it there," the round-faced Apey, a slight paunch hanging over blue shorts, murmurs in Spanish. "Open yourself more, open more. Come back with the ball, come back." Aside from the constant bop-bop of racket hitting ball, the only sounds are the fierce grunts with which Sabatini punctuates her shots.

Sabatini is the hottest -- and the youngest -- of about a half-dozen aspiring tennis stars, most of them from Argentina, who live and train in a tennis academy run by Apey on Key Biscayne.

Just back from a holiday vacation with her family in her native Buenos Aires, Sabatini is training for the Virginia Slims of Florida tournament that begins Monday on Key Biscayne. The Virginia Slims, with its $40,000 first-prize purse, is the first of about 19 tournaments Apey expects her to play in this year.

The winner of the 1985 Japan Open, Sabatini has taken the tennis world by storm. Last week, along with Wimbledon winner Boris Becker, she was named rookie of the year by Tennis magazine.

"Gabriela is a very special case," Apey said of his long-legged protege, who began her career at 6, hitting a tennis ball against a wall of her family's country club as her father, an automobile executive, and older brother played on center court.

"She is a Martian. She is not normal. That dedication and spirit of sacrifice is unimaginable," Apey said. "She has been called a steel trap."

When she's not on the road, Sabatini lives with her best friend, Mercedes Paz, a 19-year-old Argentine from the provincial city of Tocuman, and three other young women players in an unassuming Key Biscayne house.

It's a little bit of Buenos Aires in South Florida.

A blue and white-striped Argentine flag sticks out of a tennis trophy in the house's sparsely furnished living room. Betina Fulco, 17, laments that it's impossible to pick up her favorite Mar de Plata FM station on the big radio sitting on the dresser. She has tried.

But home for Sabatini and the girls is neither Key Biscayne nor Argentina. It is really on the tennis court. Between tournaments and the constant practices, there is barely time to eat a pizza and little room for formal education, romance or anything else, Apey said.

The girls are up about 8:30 a.m. and at the courts by 9:30 or 10. They practice until 12:30, go off for a big lunch, and resume practice again about 2:30 p.m. They quit tennis at sundown, but then jog and do exercises for about another hour before heading home to a shower and dinner.

Apey tries to keep training informal and fun. "I do not believe in a military regimen," he says. "Whoever is here is here because she wants to be here and make a career. People here like what they do."

On Key Biscayne, evenings are quiet. The girls watch television, listen to American pop music, tape cassettes, read mystery novels or go out to an occasional movie and dinner. Their favorite food might well be pizza. "They are under contract to Domino Pizza," Apey joked as he sat down with them for dinner.

None of the girls attends school. "It is something I can do later on," said Sabatini, who has completed ninth grade and is taking correspondence courses in English. "Right now, I want to play tennis."

Even as they jet to one tournament after another, the girls lead sheltered, monastic lives wholly dedicated to the sport, said Apey, who usually travels with them.

"There's a lot of room service during the tournament. Tennis players tend to be introverted," he said. "The girls do not dare to go out by themselves."

While the money is good, life on the circuit, and especially separation from parents and kin, can be tough on the girls, many of whom come from tight-knit Latin families.

"I miss them, but I am getting used to it," said Sabatini. To keep up family ties, her parents visit her on Key Biscayne or meet up with her on the tour a number of times a year and Sabatini crams vacation visits to Buenos Aires into her busy tournament schedule.

"What they are doing is living life backward," said Apey of his young charges. "They become adults at 15 and 16. On the court, one is alone."

That loneliness sometimes can be tough to bear. This is the second time around at the camp for Gabriela Mosca, a pixieish, delicately-boned 16-year-old from a small provincial city in Argentina.

Last year, Apey saw Mosca play and persuaded her to join his team. She went to London for a tournament, started to miss her family and left.

Apey sweet-talked Mosca into giving it another shot. To assuage the homesickness, he arranged for her mother, Olga, to accompany her for a few months. "She couldn't adapt to wandering around the world," Olga Mosca said, watching her daughter volley with another girl.

This time around, Mosca is doing better and her mother, who has become a sort of den mother for all the girls, feels she will stay the course.

Mosca agreed. "If one gets along well, and sees one's family from time to time, then life is not that difficult."

The financial rewards for sticking to it are substantial. Since turning pro Jan. 1, 1985, Sabatini has played in 17 tournaments and won purses totaling $152,203.

She also raked in "a lot of money, in the six figures," for endorsing Fuji films, Ebel watches, Sergio Tacchini tennis clothes, Prince rackets and, in Argentina, Topper shoes, according to Dick Dell, her agent at the sports marketing firm of ProServ.

Already, Sabatini has received film offers, which, under Apey's guidance, she has turned down. "I am a tennis player, not an actress."

But in Buenos Aires, she is treated like a film goddess and mobbed by admirers when she ventures into the street.

The other girls say they feel no envy toward Sabatini, who is clearly the star of the group. "It's an honor to play with her," said her friend, Paz. "She does the group good and gives us motivation to get better."

What distinguishes Sabatini from his other players, aside from the quickness of her hands, is her mind for the game, her coolness in the heat of competition, Apey said.

"I tell her to work as if she had her head in a refrigerator."

Sabatini is in her element on a tennis court. Off court, where she must deal with constant requests for interviews, sponsors, dozens of fan letters, movie offers -- that's where the pressure starts and where Gabi, as she is called, turns taciturn.

"We have done two commercials, which with the shooting, take eight or nine hours," said Apey. "Then I have to waste a lot of time to keep her smiling."
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:28 PM   #33

SHOULDER INJURY FORCES MANDLIKOVA TO WITHDRAW FROM SLIMS OF FLORIDA
Sun-Sentinel
Saturday, January 25, 1986
Staff and wire reports

Hana Mandlikova withdrew Friday from next week's Virginia Slims of Florida tournament because of tendinitis in her right shoulder.

Chris Evert Lloyd and Martina Navratilova, the other dominant players on the women's tour, are playing in the event, which begins Monday at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne in Key Biscayne.

Mandlikova notified Virginia Slims officials Friday morning of her decision. She defaulted in a match against Helen Kelesi in the second round of the Virginia Slims of New England earlier this month because of a sore shoulder and hasn't played since. "We're really sorry to lose Hana, but we're still very excited about our strong field," said Carrie Fleming-Cromartie, the Slims of Florida tournament director.

Mandlikova won the 19 85 U.S. Open, beating Evert and Navratilova. Mandlikova, 23, of Czechoslovakia, has won more than $2.2 million in her career. She is third on the career list, behind Navratilova and Evert. Tickets are available for the tournament; call 565-7115...

John McEnroe, under a self-imposed, 90-day rest from competitive tennis, will honor a commitment to play Sweden's Mats Wilander in an exhibition at Cleveland's Public Hall tonight. McEnroe is to hold a news conference today before facing Wilander...

Ivan Lendl, the world's No. 1-ranked player, made a surprise entry in the 25th annual U.S. Pro Indoor match and was seeded first in a draw of 48 players. The match begins Monday morning at the Spectrum in Philadelphia and continues through Feb. 2. Lendl was a last-minute entry and was able to join the field when he was released from playing in a tournament later this week in Washington. Lendl heads a seeding of 16 players, all of whom drew a bye in the first round. Lendl will play his first match in the secon d round against the winner of a first-round match between Robert Seguso of Sunrise and Sergio Casal of Spain.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:29 PM   #34

CHRIS, MARTINA BRACE FOR NO. 68
The Miami Herald
Sunday, January 26, 1986
JIM MARTZ

Flip the calendar back to Jan. 27, 1985. At the Sheraton Royal Biscayne on Key Biscayne, it's Chris Evert Lloyd vs. Martina Navratilova for the 62nd time.

Evert has lost 13 in a row in a rivalry that began in 1973, but playing "the best quality tennis I ever have," she defeats a somewhat off-form Navratilova, 6-2, 6-4, in the final to square their series at 31 victories apiece.

Now flip ahead. Navratilova avenges at Delray Beach and Dallas. Evert wins a three-set classic at the French Open to earn the No. 1 computer ranking. Navratilova wins in three sets at Wimbledon and the Australian Open to narrowly claim the year's final top ranking.

Now they're on another collision course at Key Biscayne. They head the 56-player field in the $250,000 Virginia Slims of Florida beginning Monday at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne.

Navratilova, who will play her first match Wednesday, is seeded first; Evert, seeded second, will debut Tuesday.

U.S. Open champion Hana Mandlikova, bothered by tendinitis in her right shoulder, withdrew from the tournament Friday. The form chart could be upset by the likes of Steffi Graf (seeded third), or the Nos. 4-12 seeds: Manuela Maleeva, Bonnie Gadusek, Kathy Rinaldi, Gabriela Sabatini, Catarina Lindqvist, Wendy Turnbull, Carling Bassett, Andrea Temesvari or Kathy Jordan. But if it isn't, South Florida will be treated to a renewal of what many tennis historians believe is the game's greatest rivalry.

And this could be their last encounter in South Florida. Navratilova is skipping the Lipton International Players Championships at Boca West next month, and Evert usually bypasses the Lynda Carter/Maybelline Classic in September at Bonaventure.

Neither has set a timetable for retirement (Evert is 31, Navratilova 29), but they're likely to step down within two years. Meanwhile, fans should savor the rivalry that even the players say they would hate to see end.

"I wouldn't be happy if they retired," said Mandlikova, at No. 3 the likely heir to No. 1. "I wouldn't appreciate being No. 1 when they weren't playing. It would mean 100 times more to me if they were around.

"They mean so much to the game. And their rivalry has been so good. It's been cat and mouse. One does something and the other wants to do better."

Gadusek concurred.

"They're great players and people like to watch them," Gadusek said. "They represent women's tennis. Without them, it's hard to say who would be No. 1.

"But if they retire, I might win a few more matches."

Evert virtually owned the rivalry in the early years, piling up a 23-6 advantage through 1978. Navratilova has captured 29 of 38 since for a 35-32 margin.

"They've raised the level of each other's game," said veteran tennis promoter George Liddy. "Except when they play each other. Chris has not played her best against Martina.

"It's like the Celtics and Lakers. Sometimes they don't shoot as well against each other because of pressure. Chris' best usually is seen in other matches, though she played her game at Key Biscayne. It's a matter of who's most mentally tough. There was a feeling at first that Martina would crack under pressure, but not now."

Except for a brief period in 1981, when Tracy Austin wedged into No. 2, Navratilova and Evert have been fixtures in the top two rankings since 1978.

By contrast, men's players ranked No. 1 or 2 during that span have been Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl and Mats Wilander.

"The charm of the Chris-and-Martina rivalry is that just when you think one is down, she comes back," Liddy said. "That's what makes it the greatest rivalry."

The rivalry has been on hold since Australia, Evert's last tournament. Navratilova won the first two stops on the Virginia Slims circuit this year at Washington and Worcester, Mass.

Although Navratilova pulled out of an exhibition against Sabatini Wednesday night in Los Angeles because of the flu, she's expected to be ready for Key Biscayne. Evert has been training hard the past two weeks with her husband, John, and Coach Dennis Ralston in Dallas and Palm Springs, Calif.

BARG, SODUPE ADVANCE

Miamians Penny Barg and Niurka Sodupe advanced to today's quarterfinals of the qualifying tournament with victories Saturday.

Barg defeated Jenny Klitch, 6-2, 6-3. Sodupe beat Jane Young, 6-3, 4-6, 7-5.

Miamian Mercedes Paz lost to Barbara Gerken, 6-1, 0-6, 6-3.

Saturday's results

Etsuko Inoue d. Niege Dias, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5; Angeliki Kanellopoulou d. Isabelle Demongeot, 6-3, 6-1; Niurka Sodupe d. Jane Young, 6-3, 4-6, 7-5; Barbara Gerken d. Mercedes Paz, 6-1, 0-6, 6-3; Svetlana Parkomenko d. Eva Krapl; Halle Cioffe d. Petra Keppeler, 7-6 (7-3), 6-3; Nathalie Tauziat d. Maria Lindstrom, 3-6, 6-2, 6-4.

Tina Mochizuki d. Chris Kinney, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4; Penny Barg d. Jenny Klitch, 6-2, 6-3; Yvonne Vermaak d. Jennifer Mundel; Marie Christine Calleja d. Cecelia Fernandez, 6-2, 6-0; Isabel Cueto d. Gabriela Dinu, 6-2, 6-3; Catherine Suire d. Akiko Kijimuta, 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3; Janine Thompson d. Emilse Longo.Today's schedule

Center court -- 10 a.m.: Cueto vs. Kanellopoulou; Parkomenko vs. Krapl; Suire vs. Inoue; Sodupe vs. Gerken.

Court 1 -- 10 a.m.: Tauziat vs. Mochizuki; Vermaak vs. Mundel; Cioffe vs. Calleja; Barg vs. Kim Sands-Regina Marsikova winner.

VIRGINIA SLIMS AT A GLANCE

WHAT -- $250,000 Virginia Slims of Florida women's tennis tournament.

WHEN -- Final round of qualifying today, 10 a.m. Monday and Tuesday, 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.; Wednesday through Friday, 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.; Saturday, 2 p.m.; Sunday, 2 p.m.

WHERE -- Sheraton Royal Biscayne, 555 Ocean Drive, Key Biscayne.

TICKETS -- Free admission for qualifying. Monday through Thursday, $8 general admission; Friday, $15 reserved seating; Saturday and Sunday, $20 reserved seating; series tickets, $55 general admission. Call 579-0009 in Dade, 565-7115 in Broward. Tickets also available at BASS outlets.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:30 PM   #35

EVERT SEEKS REPEAT OF `85 VS. NAVRATILOVA IN SLIMS
Sun-Sentinel
Sunday, January 26, 1986
Jim Sarni

No one expected it.

Martina Navratilova had beaten Chris Evert Lloyd 13 times in a row. Sure, she would beat her again in last year's Virginia Slims of Florida final. Just another day at the beach for the world`s No. 1 player.

But Evert would not let Navratilova kick sand in her face this time. She rose like a tidal wave and blasted her rival 6-2, 6-4.

The capacity crowd was stunned and delighted for the hometown heroine.

Now can Evert do it again?

Evert and Navratilova return to the scene of the crime this week as the Virginia Slims of Florida holds its sequel at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne.

Tickets are almost gone for the Sunday final even though 1,000 extra seats have been added to raise the stadium capacity to 5,500.

Tickets are precious because there is no television.

Evert and Navratilova are the stars but they will be complemented by a strong supporting cast in the 56-woman hardcourt tournament.

However, among the missing will be No. 3-ranked Hana Mandlikova, who defeated both Evert and Navratilova to win the U.S. Open on the same surface in September. Mandlikova pulled out of the event Friday because of tendinitis in her right shoulder.

In addition to Navratilova and Evert, 11 more Top 20 players, including young stars Steffi Graf and Gabriela Sabatini, have entered the $250,000 tournament.

After the Lynda Carter/Maybelline famine at Bonaventure last September, the Virginia Slims of Florida is a feast. The Maybelline tournament attracted only three of The top 20 -- Navratilova, Graf and Bonnie Gadusek. The Slims has 13 of the Top 20.

"We don't have to defend this tournament," said Carrie Fleming Cromartie, director of both events.

"Everyone knows it's a great tournament."

The Slims field, at the top, is even better than the one for the upcoming Lipton International Players Championships, Feb. 10-23 at Boca West, which has been rejected by both Navratilova and Mandlikova.

Navratilova won the Maybelline Classic in her last South Florida visit and has not lost since. She has won six consecutive tournaments and 31 matches, including the Slims of Washington and the Slims of New England, the first two tournaments of 1986.

"Right now, Martina is playing unbelievably well," said Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, who lost to Navratilova in both Washington and Worcester, Mass. She is not entered in the Virginia Slims of Florida.

Evert is making her 1986 debut this week. She has been off since losing the Australian Open final to Navratilova in December.

Navratilova's victory clinched the No. 1 ranking for 1985 and ended Evert's determined bid to regain supremacy in women`s tennis.

But the Virginia Slims official points race -- to determine the ITF's No. 1 ranking for the 1985-86 season -- continues through the championships in March. Navratilova, with her two tournament victories this year, leads by 400 points.

The Virginia Slims of Florida is the first 1986 event both Evert and Navratilova have entered and could be the only one the two will both play.

Evert and Navratilova met six times in 1985 with Navratilova winning four times. After losing here, Navratilova won at the LIPC and Dallas. Evert won at the French Open, then Navratilova won at Wimbledon and the Australian Open. Navratilova leads the rivalry 35-32.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:31 PM   #36

AILING MARTINA SKIPS KEY BISCAYNE EVENT
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, January 28, 1986
JIM MARTZ

A four-letter word spelled c-o-l-d jolted the opening of the $250,000 Virginia Slims of Florida women's tennis tournament Monday.

As in, Martina Navratilova suffered from a cold that forced her to withdraw from the 56-player tournament at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne on Key Biscayne.

As in, cold weather plagued the tournament just as a year ago when it was jokingly renamed the Brrrginia Slims of Florida. Last year, matches were postponed on two nights -- a first on the circuit -- because temperatures dipped into the 30s. They headed in that direction Monday night, but matches were played as a few hundred spectators showed up dressed as if they were watching Olympic downhill skiing.

Navratilova, the top seed who was eager to avenge her 6-2, 6-4 loss to Chris Evert Lloyd in this tournament a year ago, informed the Women's Tennis Association that she wouldn't be able to play because of flu that has kept her bedridden at her home in Fort Worth, Texas, for several days.

She withdrew from an exhibition against Gabriela Sabatini in Los Angeles last Wednesday but had hoped to be able to play this week.

"I talked to her on the phone, and she didn't sound very good," said tournament director Carrie Fleming Cromartie.

Cromartie had received bad news Friday when third-seeded Hana Mandlikova withdrew because of tendinitis in her right shoulder. Instead of a tournament boasting the top three players in the world and six of the top 10, it now has one of the top three and four of the top 10.

Evert, ranked second, thus becomes the top seed. She will play Australian Petra Hubra tonight in her first match since she lost the Australian Open final to Navratilova in early December.

"I'm really upset, because I love this tournament and was looking forward to a potential rematch with Chris," Navratilova said in a statement issued by the WTA.

She said she was queasy at the Virginia Slims of Washington two weeks ago but improved, then started feeling worse at the Virginia Slims of New England. But she won both tournaments.

"I waited so long to pull out (of the Key Biscayne event) because I thought I would still be able to play," Navratilova said. "I really wanted to play in order to acquire more Virginia Slims series points."

Navratilova could lose a shot at $250,000 in bonus money if she doesn't enter another Virginia Slims tournament in place of this one. A player must play in five of the 10 events to qualify for the bonus money, but she has played only three and has scheduled only one more -- in Dallas.

But that's pocket change for Navratilova, who is approaching the $10 million mark in career prize money. She says she's re-evaluating her schedule and is uncertain if she'll become a late entry in the $1.8 million Lipton International Players Championships Feb. 10-23 at Boca West. If she does enter, it might mean playing six consecutive weeks.

Meanwhile, Navratilova is getting home cooking for a change as she recuperates. WTA spokeswoman Peggy Gossett Lewis said Martina's mother Jana is visiting from Czechoslovakia and has been with her since New England. "It's one of the few times her mother has taken care of her as an adult," Lewis said. "She's cooking and making her stay in bed."

In Monday night's matches on the windswept cement courts a block from the Atlantic, 14-year-old Mary Joe Fernandez of Miami, ranked 101st, upset 34th-ranked Pam Casale, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2.

"It was hard to play because it was cold, and the wind was not going any particular direction," Fernandez said. "I hung in there; she never gives up."

Earlier, Michelle Torres of Northfield, Ill., surprised 13th-seeded Bettina Bunge of Coral Gables and Monte Carlo, 6-4, 6-4.

Niurka Sodupe, a 16-year-old Miamian ranked 164th, survived two match points and won the completion of her qualifying match against Barbara Gerken, 6-3, 5-7, 6-3. But she later lost to 29- year-old Diane Fromholtz Balestrat of Australia, 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5.

"I thought I played well all day," said Sodupe, who is taking correspondence high school courses and hopes to turn pro this spring if she continues playing well. "The more I play, the more my adrenaline goes up."

Gerken became the "lucky loser," advancing to the main draw as Navratilova's replacement. But she promptly lost to Huber, 6-3, 6-4.

Monday's results

Qualifying -- Niurka Sodupe d. Barbara Gerken, 6-3, 5-7, 6-2; Janine Thompson d. Yvonne Vermaak, 2-6, 6-4, 6-0.

First round -- Anna Ivan d. Sabrina Goles, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2; Petra Huber d. Gerken, 6-3, 6-4; Annabel Croft d. Terry Phelps, 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 6-2; Tina Scheuer-Larsen d. Belinda Cordwell, 6-2, 6-1; Larissa Savchenko d. Lilian Drescher, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2; Michelle Torres d. Bettina Bunge, 6-4, 6-4; Susan Mascarin d. Etsuko Inoue, 6-2, 6-3; Alycia Moulton d. Iva Budarova, 6-4, 6-3; Diane Fromholtz Balestrat d. Sodupe, 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5; Christiane Jolissaint d. Laura Arraya Gildemeister, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (10-8); Angeliki Kanellopoulou d. Regina Marsikova, 6-3, 7-5; Andrea Temesvari d. Eva Pfaff, 6-3, 6-1; Stephanie Rehe d. Nathalie Tauziat, 6-4, 7-5; Debbie Spence d. Elizabeth Smylie, 6-7 (4-7), 6-0, 7-5; Mary Joe Fernandez d. Pam Casale, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2; Carling Bassett d. Peanut Louie, 6-1, 6-4.

Today's matches

Stadium Court, 9 a.m. -- Catherine Tanvier vs. Ros Fairbank; Jo Durie vs. Katerina Maleeva; Mascarin vs. Balestrat; Anne Hobbs vs. Kathy Jordan; Potter-Nagelsen vs. Scheuer-Larsen- Karlsson; Collins-Louie vs. Mascarin-Phelps. 6 p.m. -- Steffi Graf vs. Alycia Moulton; Chris Evert Lloyd vs. Petra Huber; Moulton-Suire vs. Hetherington-Rinaldi.

Court 1, 9 a.m. -- Jane Forman vs. Kathy Horvath; Tine Scheuer-Larsen vs. winner Iva Pfaff-Andrea Temesvari; Croft- Horvath vs. winner Forman-Kinney vs. Klitch-Lindstrom; Paz- Sands vs. Maleeva-Maleeva.

Court 3, 9 a.m. -- Janine Thompson vs. Raffaella Reggi; Betsy Nagelsen vs. Marie-Christine Calleja; Candy Reynolds vs. Anne Minter; Bonnie Gadusek vs. Christiane Jolissaint; Minter- Mundel vs. Barg-Thompson.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:33 PM   #37

MARTINA'S ILLNESS TRIMS SLIMS' FIELD; EVERT NEW NO. 1
Sun-Sentinel
Jim Sarni

Martina Navratilova has the flu and the Virginia Slims of Florida has the blues.

An ailing Navratilova pulled out of the $250,000 tennis tournament Monday, spoiling an anticipated Navratilova-Chris Evert Lloyd showdown in Sunday's final.

The big rematch turned into the big sneeze as the star-studded Slims field slimmed down some more.

Navratilova is the tournament's second major casualty. U.S. Open champion Hana Mandlikova checked out Friday with a bad shoulder.

With the first and third seeds gone, Evert becomes the No. 1 seed and Steffi Graf vaults to No. 2 in the 56-player field that started play Monday.

Navratilova said she started feeling sick at the Virginia Slims of New England, two weeks ago in Worcester, Mass. She had to cancel a trip to New York and an exhibition in Los Angeles last week but felt she would recover in time to play this week.

Sunday night Navratilova called tournament director Carrie Fleming Cromartie and said she didn't think she was going to make it.

Fleming asked Navratilova to make her final decision in the morning. Navratilova woke up with a backache, a neckache, a headache and a bad cough.

The tournament has a heartache. Sunday's final was 90 percent sold out.

"I'm really upset about having to pull out," Navratilova said from her home in Dallas. "I love this tournament and I was looking forward to a potential rematch with Chris. I waited until the last minute to pull out because I thought I was going to be able to play."

Evert upset Navratilova in last year's final, ending a string of 13 consecutive defeats to her rival.

Evert may now have to wait for the Virginia Slims of Dallas March 11-17 for her next shot at Navratilova, whom she last played at the Australian Open.

But Navratilova could enter the Virginia Slims of California Feb. 24-March 2. It is unlikely Navratilova would play the Lipton International Players Championships Feb. 10-23 at Boca West.

By dropping the Virginia Slims of Florida, Navratilova is one short of the quota of five Slims-named events needed to be eligible for the season-ending bonus-pool money distribution.

Navratilova, the current leader, would earn $250,000 for finishing first. But she must play the Virginia Slims of California (Oakland) to have five Slims tournaments. The LIPC doesn't count.

"I don't really know as yet what I'll do," Navratilova said. "I'm in the process of re-evaluating my schedule."

Last August Navratilova pulled out of the Virginia Slims of Los Angeles with a neck injury. That event was to have been her second Slims event of the 1985-86 season.

Navratilova did not play another Slims event until the Slims of Washington and Slims of New England this month. Florida and Dallas were scheduled to be Nos. 4 and 5.

Navratilova can't remember the last time she was too sick to play. In recent years, with her training and diet regimes, she has been the picture of health.

But for the last six days, she has stayed in bed, fighting the only opponent tough enough to knock her down since she lost to Mandlikova at the U.S. Open five months ago.

Navratilova's cancellation opened up a spot in the draw for Barbara Gerken, who got in as the lucky loser but then lost again in the main draw to Petra Huber.

Navratilova's absence also opens the way for Evert to get back into the Virginia Slims points race.

Navratilova leads by 450 points but Evert, with victories here (250 points) and at the LIPC (250 points), would move ahead with three events to go before the Virginia Slims Championships March 17-23 in New York.

The points leader after the championships is the automatic and ITF-designated official world champion for the 1985-86 season.

Evert is scheduled to play her first match tonight against Huber. The Evert-Huber match follows the opening night match between Graf and Alycia Moulton.

In the re-made draw, Gabriela Sabatini falls in Evert's half as a possible semifinal opponent. Originally, Sabatini and Graf, the game's two coming stars, were seeded to meet in the quarterfinals.

But that match is out in the cold now along with Evert-Navratilova.

Ahh-choo.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:33 PM   #38

TENNIS
Lexington Herald-Leader
Associated Press

Michelle Torres, drawing inspiration from her beloved Chicago Bears, beat 13th-seeded Bettina Bunge 6-4, 6-4 yesterday to score the first upset of the $250,000 Virginia Slims of Florida tennis tournament in Key Biscayne.

But Bunge wasn't the first highly regarded player to drop out of the event at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne. Third-ranked Hana Mandlikova pulled out of the tourney last week because of tendinitis in her shoulder, and top-ranked Martina Navratilova canceled Sunday night because she's fighting influenza.

Chris Evert Lloyd, the new top seed here, is healthy and scheduled to play her first match tonight against Petra Huber of Austria, who beat Barbara Gerken 6-3, 6-4 in a first-round match yesterday.

Tenth-seeded Andrea Temesvari of Hungary tripped Eva Pfaff of West Germany 6-3, 6-1 in a late afternoon match.

Torres, from the Chicago suburb of Northfield, Ill., spent Sunday watching the Bears whip New England 46-10 in the Super Bowl. She said her father called her after the game to tell her to play like the Bears this week. "He told me be intimidating," she said.

Instead, Torres played a consistent game and let her more aggressive opponent make the mistakes. Torres scored a service break in the first game of the match. After losing her serve in the fourth game, she came back with another break in the fifth game and held on to win the set.

The climax of the match was the eighth of the second set. Bunge, leading 4-3, hit winners on a passing shot and a touch volley to win the first two points of the game. But Torres calmly rallied from the baseline to win that game, and then broke Bunge in the ninth game for a 5-4 lead. She held serve again in the 10th game for the victory.

In the night feature match, ninth-seeded Carling Bassett beat Peanut Louie, 6-1, 6-4. Bassett fell behind, 4-1, in the second set before regaining her composure to win the final five games.

Matt Anger fought back from 0-3 in the final set to defeat fellow Californian Larry Stefanki 6-3, 6-7 (7-5), 7-6 (7-2) in one of several close opening matches at the 25th U.S. Pro Indoor Tennis Championships in Philadelphia.

Anger, who won the 1981 Wimbledon Junior Championship and the South African Grand Prix tournament last year, lost a match point at 6-5 but came back to win the tiebreaker when Stefanki hit into the net on the final point.

All 16 seeded players drew byes in the opening round of the tournament, which will pay the singles winner $67,500.

Ivan Lendl, the world's top-ranked pro, and Jimmy Connors, seeded second, are expected to play their first matches on Wednesday. John McEnroe will not defend the title he had won for four consecutive years.

In other first-round matches, Marty Davis struggled back for a 6-7 (5-7), 7-6, (7-3), 6-2 victory over Mike Leach.

Tim Wilkison edged Tom Warneke 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-4). Warneke lost two set points at 5-4 in the second set and finally lost the deciding tiebreaker as Wilkison made a lunging backhand volley.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:34 PM   #39

Atlanta's White finally fufills her tennis timetable
The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitutio
Karen Rosen

Wendy White isn't bound to a timetable. If she's running a little late, that's OK.

White intended to drop into the main draw of this week's Virginia Slims of Florida but dropped out at the last minute.

"They understood," said White.

When the Florida tournament started, White was in another Virginia Slims - and in another state altogether: she was a singles winner for the first time in her pro career, champion of the $75,000 Virginia Slims of Kansas. White, 25, had waited seven years for a title, but she scrapped that timetable, too - long ago.

"It feels fantastic," said White, now at home in Atlanta. "I was really glad to win one."

Even if it means missing another? "Excellent tradeoff," said White, who earned $12,000 Saturday in Kansas instead of playing a pair of grueling qualifying matches in Florida.

With a world ranking of No. 97, White couldn't automatically enter the main draw of every tournament. Yet she doesn't have to check her tea leaves to know that her ranking will rise before the Lipton tournament Feb. 10.

"At least 20 places," said White, "but so many times you look at the ranking after a good win and it didn't go up nearly as much as you thought it would."

Neither did White. As tennis players go, White figures she's middle-aged, so it was about time to relieve a seven-year itch and win a tournament.

White was Atlanta's most promising junior, reaching No. 22 in the world in March 1981, while still at Rollins College in Winter Park, Fla., and playing on the tour part-time. After White got her degree in business communication and turned to tennis full-time in 1982, her results were spread more thinly, though she's won $272,986.

"Wendy had great wins in the days when she first turned pro," said Ruth Lay, White's coach from age 16 to 20. "She had a win over Billie Jean King, Virginia Ruzici. For a long time, she's been consistent. Once you break in high on the computer and are consistent enough to keep your ranking up high, then you're automatically in tournaments.

"You win a round here, a round there, you stay up. The last two years, she had a lot of first-round losses, and that caused her ranking to drop."

White dropped her expectations, too.

"I was looking toward more quarterfinals, more semifinals, possibly to win a tournament in say, '82 or '83," said White. "I did all right, in the 30s, and maintained that. I got to a couple of semifinals, a couple of quarterfinals, but I wasn't breaking through. The competition was getting tougher and tougher.

"I kind of gave up that timetable. I was just going to wait and see and not press myself."

White had been worn down by the pressures of the tour. The circuit has fewer tournaments than the men's tour and too many are dominated by Chris Evert Lloyd or someone whose name ends in "ova": Martina Navratilova, Hana Mandlikova, Helena Sukova.

"I feel one desire I always had was to be in the Top 10," said White. "I kind of lost sight of that, to be honest, in the last year or so."

Last year was particularly hard for White, in terms of R&R: results and rankings. If she didn't have to play in the qualifying, she would draw a seed in the first round. With fewer matches, her confidence fell.

"I had a barrier I wasn't breaking through," said White.

She wound up No. 95 and decided to go for more R&R: rest and relaxation. White took six weeks off at the end of the year, forgoing the Australian tour, and entered 1986 refreshed.

She worked with her coach, Walker Smith, learning to pace herself while letting the tendinitis in her shoulder heal.

"It takes a lot of intensity to persist and persevere through each match," said White. "There are certain times during a match when something can get you down, a line call, or if I feel like I'm playing bad. I'm concentrating more on giving my all every point."

White plays an aggressive serve and volley game. Even if she has to play from the baseline, she said, "I'll somehow find my way in to the net. I'm a high energy player; I like to move around a lot."

White will cut down on the traveling this year, though. She's been averaging 20-22 tournaments a year but will probably play just 18 this year.

"I'd rather pick and choose the tournaments more," said White, "and take good breaks. Then I can recharge and better recognize when I'm starting to get burned out. I didn't do that in '84, which affected me in '85."

For '86, White's immediate goal is to break back into the Top 30. The rest will come.

"I want to really strive to win each match, rather than just get through a round," said White. "People who have encouraged me say I have the talent and abiltity to be in the Top 10. There are so many tough players. I'm learning not to look at the rankings or what others can do. I have to concentrate on what I can do."

That could mean playing more $75,000 tournaments like the one in Kansas. "Then you don't have to deal with Chris or Martina," said White. "It's a nice chance to break through."
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:35 PM   #40

EVERT HAS TO WEATHER A WAIT AS COLD POSTPONES MATCHES
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, January 29, 1986
JIM MARTZ

When Chris Evert Lloyd received word Tuesday afternoon in Fort Lauderdale that her tennis match that night had been postponed because of cold weather, she lamented, "Poor George. Same thing happened last year."

Poor George is George Liddy, promoter of the $250,000 Virginia Slims of Florida at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne on Key Biscayne. He postponed the night session just as he had to twice last year because weather made the tournament seem like the Virginia Slims of the North Pole.

Evert's first-round match against Petra Huber of Austria will follow tonight's 6 p.m. match between Gabriela Sabatini and Annabel Croft. It will be Evert's first tournament since the Australian Open in early December, when she lost the final to Martina Navratilova.

"I was looking forward to a rematch with Martina," said Evert. "And although we played each other at the Pringles Light Classic (a pro-celebrity in Palm Beach Gardens three weeks ago), it wasn't the same as the Virginia Slims of Florida would have been. Maartina motivates me to continue to play."

Liddy said the explosion Tuesday of the space shuttle Challenger did not affect the decision to postpone the night matches. "That would have been insincere," he said.

But the postponement continued a string of bad luck for the tournament. Third-ranked Hana Mandlikova withdrew last week because of shoulder tendinitis, and top-ranked Navratilova pulled out Monday because of the flu.

"Poor George," though, isn't seeking hearts and flowers. All the box seats have been sold, and Sunday's final is nearly sold out. Though there's disappointment there won't be an Evert- Navratilova final, Liddy senses South Florida fans are enamored with upcoming stars such as Sabatini, seeded sixth; Steffi Graf, the second seed who plays her first match this afternoon against Alycia Moulton; and Miami's Mary Joe Fernandez and Niurka Sodupe.

"Artistically the tournament loses something when this (bad luck) happens, but commercially it doesn't seem to," said Liddy as he watched Kathy Jordan win her first match in a comeback from a knee injury, 7-5, 7-5, over England's Anne Hobbs.

"I think women's tennis has been so active in South Florida the last 10 years that there's a built-in sophistication. New York has it, too. There's as much interest in an early round as there is in the final.

"It seems they want to see the younger kids. An Evert-Sabatini semifinal could have some tension going into it like Chris at age 16 taking on the best in the world. There was
pressure on Margaret Court and Billie Jean King then, and maybe it could happen again."

Though temperatures were in the 50s for the morning and afternoon matches Tuesday, gusting winds that hampered play Monday had diminished. In matches involving seeded players, No. 4 Bonnie Gadusek dumped Christiane Jolissaint of Switzerland, 6-2, 6-2; No. 10 Andrea Temesvari of Hungary downed Tine Scheuer-Larsen of Denmark, 6-3, 6-3; No. 14 Jo Durie of England beat Bulgaria's Katerina Maleeva, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5).

And No. 11 Jordan took what she called "one good step" in her comeback. She had lost in the opening round the past two weeks in Wooster, Mass., and Wichita, Kan.

"It's frustrating for me because some people can come back so quickly, but it seems to take me a long time," said Jordan, who suffered a knee sprain at a New South Wales tournament last year.

Susan Mascarin of Boca Raton outlasted Diane Fromholtz Balestrat of Australia, 6-2, 7-6 (8-6). Other winners were Kathleen Horvath of Largo, Fla., Anna Maria Cecchini of Italy, Janine Thompson of Australia, Marie Christine Calleja of France, Anne Minter of Australia and Catherine Tanvier of France.

Tuesday's results

First-round singles -- Kathleen Horvath d. Jane Forman, 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-3; Anna Maria Cecchini d. Carina Karlsson, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3; Janine Thompson d. Raffaella Reggi, 6-4, 7-5; Marie Christine Calleja d. Betsy Nagelsen, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3; Anne Minter d. Candy Reynolds, 4-6, 7-5, 2-0, ret.; Catherine Tanvier d. Rosalyn Fairbank, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2; Jo Durie d. Katerina Maleeva, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5); Kathy Jordan d. Anne Hobbs, 7-5, 7-5.

Second-round singles -- Andrea Temesvari d. Tine Scheuer- Larsen, 6-3, 6-3; Bonnie Gadusek d. Christiane Jolissaint, 6-2, 6-2; Susan Mascarin d. Diane Fromholtz Balestrat, 6-2, 7-6 (8-6).

First-round doubles -- Annabel Croft-Kathleen Horvath d. Jenny Klitch-Maria Lindstrom, 7-5, 6-4; Penny Barg-Janine Thompson d. Anne Minter-Jennifer Mundel, 7-6 (7-4), 6-2; Mercedes Paz-Kim Sands d. Manuela Maleeva-Katerina Maleeva, 7-5, 6-2; Barbara Potter-Betsy Nagelsen d. Tine Scheuer-Larsen- Carina Karlsson, 6-1, 6-2; Susan Mascarin-Terry Phelps d. Sandy Collins-Peanut Louie, 6-3, 6-4.

Today's matches

Stadium court: 9 a.m. -- Stephanie Rehe vs. Debbie Spence; Carling Bassett vs. Larissa Savchenko; Catarina Lindqvist vs. Kathleen Horvath; Steffi Graf vs. Alycia Moulton; Caterina Lindqvist-Joanne Russell vs. Bellinda Cordwell-Louise Field; Jill Hetherington-Kathy Rinaldi vs. Alycia Moulton-Catherine Suire.

Stadium court: 6 p.m. -- Gabriela Sabatini vs. Annabel Croft; Chris Evert Lloyd vs. Petra Huber; Bettina Bunge-Eva Pfaff vs. Laura Gildemeister-Adriana Villagran.

Court 1: 9 a.m. -- Michelle Torres vs. Mary Joe Fernandez; Catherine Tanvier vs. Kathy Jordan; Kathy Rinaldi vs. Marie Christine Calleja; Wendy Turnbull vs. Anna Ivan; Jo Durie-Anne Hobbs vs. Jamie Golder-Angeliki Kanellopoulou; Steffi Graf- Catherine Tanvier vs. Pam Casale-Barbara Gerken.

Court 3: 9 a.m. -- Anna Maria Cecchini vs. Angeliki Kanellopoulou; Jo Durie vs. Anne Minter; Manuela Maleeva vs. Janine Thompson.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:36 PM   #41

SLIMS FREEZES TO A HALT BUT MASCARIN IS JUST WARMING UP
Sun-Sentinel
Jim Sarni

The Virginia Slims of Florida should seek different corporate sponsors next year.

Instead of a beer company or an ice cream bar, the tournament organizers should sign up a good ear muff firm or a hot chocolate maker.

For the second consecutive year, the women's tournament has turned into the Brrr-ginia Slims of Florida.

While the palm trees shivered Tuesday, the linespeople put on mittens, the spectators showed up in fur coats and the players wore warmups.

Even the most notorious chokers played with ice water in their veins.

A bright sun made daytime conditions tolerable - Carling Bassett went for a swim - but when the light faded, the tournament raced inside for a warm blanket and a cozy fireplace.

The night session was canceled, frozen in time. Chris Evert Lloyd will play her first match tonight.

"It was so nice last week. It just gets cold for this tournament," said Susan Mascarin, who moved from Detroit to Boca Raton two years ago to escape cold weather.

Mascarin came prepared for her match against Diane Balestrat Fromholtz Tuesday. She brought a sweater and pants.

Mascarin also brought a winning game. The 21-year-old baseliner turned back the Australian 6-2, 7-6 (8-6) to advance to the third round.

"It wasn't as bad as I thought," said Mascarin, who stripped down to a short-sleeved top and her skirt by the end of the match.

Mascarin, who beat Etsuko Inoue Monday, is on a hot streak with her first back-to-back victories since September. She will try to make it three in a row against the winner of tonight's match between Gabriela Sabatini and Annabel Croft.

Winning used to be a habit for Mascarin when she was a junior. In 1980, she was the best junior in the world.

But Mascarin has had trouble hitting big-league pitching. At 14 she won the Southern Championships, a satellite event, defeating Renee Richards in the final, but has reached only one final since, losing to Evert in Atlanta.

"Since I was 12, I was used to winning, then I turned pro and started losing," said Mascarin, ranked No.48 on the computer after dropping as low as No. 130 two years ago.

"I wasn't used to losing. It surprised me. I had to learn how to lose. I didn't handle losing very well."

Every defeat seemed like the end of the world.

"I hated to call my parents after a loss," Mascarin said. "It was the worst thing in the world. My self-esteem went way down after a loss. I had to realize that losing doesn't reflect on me as a person.

"It got very frustrating and I threatened to quit many times but, of course, I never meant it. Now I'm handling it better. I'm not quite so emotional. I'm reacting to things better and trying to be more professional. A lot of it is growing up."

At 21, Mascarin is hardly a has-been.

"I was only 16 when I turned pro," she said. "All the agents were after me and turning pro was the thing to do. If I had been 18, I think I would have gone to college. My non-tennis friends are just getting out of college now and they don't know what they're going to do for a career.

"I've played pro tennis for five years. I've accomplished something. And I've gained experience. I enjoy what I'm doing. I'm traveling, meeting a lot of people and making money. But personally, I'm not satisfied with what I've done and I want to get better."

Mascarin has a new coach - Gordon O'Reilly, a Boca Raton teaching pro who took over from Stefan Dehner this month - and a positive attitude.

"I'm working hard at my tennis," she said. "I know if I don't work hard, I don't deserve to win.

"I put a lot of pressure on myself when I turned pro. I expected to do better. I heard I was supposed to be great. Now we'll see."
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:37 PM   #42

Jordan takes 'one good step' on comeback trail
The Toronto Star

Kathy Jordan took what she called "one good step" in her comeback from a knee injury with a hard-fought, 7-5, 7-5, victory over Anne Hobbs of Great Britain yesterday in the $250,000 Virginia Slims of Florida tournament at Key Biscayne.

Jordan said the unseasonably cold weather, though an annoyance, wasn't really a problem during her afternoon match.

But tournament organizers decided to cancel the night matches, including the first appearance of top-seeded Chris Evert Lloyd, because temperatures were expected to drop into the low 40s (F).

In the only other first-round match yesterday involving a seeded player, No. 14 Jo Durie of Great Britain downed Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5).

Fourth-seeded Bonnie Gadusek, who had a first-round bye, ripped Christiane Jolissaint of Switzerland, 6-2, 6-2, and 10th-seeded Andrea Temesvari whipped Tine Scheuer-Larsen of Denmark, 6-3, 6-3, in second-round matches.

Jordan was seeded 11th in the tournament at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne resort based on her performance over the past year. She hasn't been playing like a seeded player lately, however.

In the past two weeks, she lost in the first round of Virginia Slims events in Worcester, Mass., and in Wichita, Kan. She admits she might have tried to come back too soon from the knee sprain she suffered at the New South Wales tournament last year, but it wouldn't have been in character for the fiery Jordan to be patient.

"It's frustrating for me because some people can come back so quickly, but it seems to take me a long time," Jordan said.

Jordan wasn't happy with her inconsistent performance, but compared with her play of the past two weeks, it was encouraging.

"Today was a lot of progress," she said. "It was one good step in my comeback."

The other first-round winners yesterday were Kathleen Horvath, Anna Maria Cecchini of Italy, Janine Thompson of Australia, Marie Christine Calleja of France, Annie Minter of Australia and Catherine Tanvier of France.

Susan Mascarin beat Diane Fromholtz Balestrat of Australia, 6-2 7-6 (8-6), in a second-round match.

* Unseeded Leonardo Lavalle of Mexico upset No. 3 seed Stefan Edberg of Sweden, 1-6, 6-4, 7-5, yesterday to advance to the third round of the $465,000 U.S. Pro Indoor Championships at Philadelphia.

Earlier yesterday, Slobodan Zivojinovic, a strong-armed Yugoslav, upset No. 15 seed David Pate, 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, in another second-round match.

Lavalle, the Wimbledon junior title holder, defeated Edberg, a member of Sweden's Davis Cup team, with superior serves and volleys in 1 hour, 58 minutes.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:11 AM   #43

Lendl, Connors advance in U.S. Pro
Houston Chronicle
Thursday, January 30, 1986
Houston Chronicle News Services

PHILADELPHIA - Ivan Lendl and Jimmy Connors easily won their first matches in the $465,000 U.S. Pro Indoor Championships.

Lendl, the top player in the world and No. 1 seed, defeated Robert Seguso 6-2, 6-2 and No. 2 Connors beat Guy Forget 6-3, 6-4 on Wednesday. Both players had first-round byes.

Earlier, No. 5 Anders Jarryd advanced to the round of 16 with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Matt Anger; No. 14 Jan Gunnarsson was beaten by Jakob Hlasek 6-2, 6-3, and No. 16 Greg Holmes defeated Libor Pimek 6-2, 6-4.

Lendl, who entered the tournament after defending champion John McEnroe dropped out, broke Seguso twice in the first set and fought off three break points in the sixth game, the only time he was threatened.

Seguso, one of the best doubles players in the world, again lost his serve twice in the second set, on a double-fault in the fifth game and on a forehand shot that was long in the seventh. Lendl held his serve at love to win the match.

Jarryd took 1 hour and 11 minutes to beat Anger, never losing serve and breaking Anger twice in each set.

Evert Lloyd scores easy win

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - Top-seeded Chris Evert Lloyd easily defeated Petra Huber of Austria 6-2, 6-1 to advance to the third round of the $250,000 Virginia Slims of Florida tournament.

Evert Lloyd needed only 74 minutes to dispatch of Huber, who was unseeded.

In the other featured night match, sixth-seeded Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina whipped Annabel Croft of Great Britain 6-0, 6-1.

Earlier Wednesday, Kathleen Horvath of Largo, Fla., came from behind to upset seventh-seeded Catarina Lindgvist 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.

Horvath had lost in the first round of her last six tournaments dating back to July before winning her initial match Tuesday and defeating Sweden's Lindgvist yesterday.

Second-seeded Steffi Graf of West Germany topped Alycia Moulton of Sacramento, Calif., 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 and third-seeded Manuela Maleeva of Bulgaria defeated Janine Thompson of Australia 4-6, 6-3, 6-2.

Fifth-seeded Kathy Rinaldi of Martin Downs, Fla., defeated Marie Christine Calleja of France 7-5, 6-1, and eighth-seeded Wendy Turnbull of Australia topped Anna Ivan of La Jolla, Calif., 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.

Ninth-seeded Carling Bassett of Canada defeated Larissa Savchenko of the Soviet Union, 6-2, 6-4, 11th-seeded Kathy Jordan coasted past Catherine Tanvier of France, 6-1, 6-4, and 14th-seeded Jo Durie of Great Britain beat Anne Minter of Australia 6-2, 6-3.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:12 AM   #44

Confident Graf Tops Moulton
The Palm Beach Post
January 30, 1986
Jeff Snook

Key Biscayne -- The way Steffi Graf figured it, there was no way Alycia Moulton was going to beat her last night.

Even following the first set, which Moulton won easily with her effective serve-and-volley game, Graf thought Moulton wouldn't maintain her level of play.

She was right. The 16-year-old Graf, seeded second, got her powerful forehand in gear and rallied to beat Moulton 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 in the second round of the $250,000 Virginia Slims of Florida at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne.

"She was serving quite well in the first set," said West Germany's Graf, the world's No. 6-ranked player. "She was doing everything right and it's really hard to keep that up. I thought she would start making some mistakes."

Moulton did and Graf avoided an upset to join 11 other seeded players who advanced to the third round.

In matches involving other seeded players yesterday, No. 1 Chris Evert Lloyd had no problem with Petra Huber in a 6-2, 6-1 victory; third seeded Manuela Maleeva of Bulgaria outlasted Australia's Janine Thompson 4-6, 6-3, 6-3; fifth-seeded Kathy Rinaldi of Stuart beat France's Marie Christine Calleja 7-5, 6-1, and sixth-seeded Gabriela Sabatini of Argentina routed Great Britain's Annabel Croft 6-0, 6-1.

Also, Largo's Kathleen Horvath upset seventh-seeded Catarina Lindqvist of Sweden 4-6, 6-1, 6-3; No 9-seed Carling Bassett eliminated Larissa Savchenko of the Soviet Union 6-2, 6-4; eighth-seeded Wendy Turnbull rallied to defeat Anna Ivan 2-6, 6-4, 6-2; and 14-year-old Mary Joe Fernandez of Miami upset Michelle Torres 6-3, 6-3.

After taking a 2-0 lead in the second set against Graf, Moulton's powerful serve abandoned her and her volleys suddenly started to miss.

"She still made it a very tough match for me," Graf explained. "I haven't played any tournament for the last three months but I was still confident."

The Moulton-Graf match and the Evert-Huber match were postponed from Tuesday night because of cold weather.

"I said 'Oh, no,' when I heard I wasn't going to play [Tuesday]," said Graf, playing her first tournament since the Porsche Grand Prix in Filderstadt, West Germany in October. "I was practicing well and I felt great and I wanted to play then.

"I don't really like playing somebody like that because she can play really well or not so good."

Moulton gave Graf a little of both.

The 15-year-old Sabatini, on the other hand, never looked better, taking only 55 minutes to brush Croft aside. She was even more fluid and accurate than when she emerged on the tour with five consecutive victories and reached the final at Hilton Head, S.C. last April and the semifinals of the French Open in June.

When Croft would come to the net, Sabatini, ranked no. 12, would either pass down the line or lob accurately. When Croft stayed on the baseline, Sabatini would serve-and-volley successfully.

She won the first eight games of the match before Croft held service.

"I feel if I move my legs more and improve my net game," Sabatini said, "I can still play better."

"When the important points came up," Croft said, "she would win them."

Evert, the tournament's defending champion, lost the first game of her match with Huber and sometimes had trouble with her serve. But most of the time she was her usual dominating self.

"I am happy with the score even though I was a little rusty at first," said Evert, who played her first match since the Australian Open in November.

"I am always relieved to get that first match of the year out of the way. And since I am from down here, I feel a little more pressure because it's my hometown."

Evert said she is making an adjustment on her serve which resulted in three double-faults.

"I am trying to lean in a little more and go to the net or go in after I serve," she said. "And anytime you are trying to change something, you have some problems with it."
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:13 AM   #45

SABATINI, GRAF WIN IN SLIMS
The Miami Herald
Thursday, January 30, 1986
JOHN GARCIA

Five years from now, when the Martina Navratilova-Chris Evert Lloyd show has finished its run, the odds are that Steffi Graf and Gabriela Sabatini will be showcasing their tennis battles around the world.

Navratilova, 29, and Evert, 31, have occupied center stage in women's tennis for the past decade. The show is not over, but the lights are dimming on one of sport's longest-running rivalries.

Graf and Sabatini, both 16 and ranked among the world's top dozen players, demonstrated their talents Wednesday before 3,000 chilled spectators at the $250,000 Virginia Slims of Florida at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne on Key Biscayne.

Graf, the No. 2 seed, started slowly before topping Alycia Moulton, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1, to advance to the third round. Sabatini, using her superior athletic skill, outclassed Ann Croft, 6-0, 6-1, in 55 minutes.

Neither teen-ager looked tired after her match and neither wanted to talk about taking over for the reigning queens of tennis.

"The young girls are getting closer to matching the top players, but it takes time and experience to get that high," said Graf, sixth in the world in the latest Women's Tennis Association rankings. "I'm not looking forward to playing at Chrissie or Martina's level yet. They are still ahead of some of us."

Graf may have been speaking for Petra Huber, who easily fell to Evert in 74 minutes, 6-2, 6-1. Evert, playing in her first tournament since losing in December to Navratilova in the final of the Australian Open, dominated the match with her usual baseline game.

Navratilova pulled out of the tournament with the flu.

"They (Graf and Sabatini) both are very mature beyond their years and both have the shots to be champions," said Evert, the tournament's top seed. "I know they are tough on the court, but psychologically, they are not the same."

They may not be the same, but Sabatini's performance moved her a step closer to the limelight that has been projected for her since she first appeared on the WTA computer two years ago with a ranking of 72. She currently is ranked 12th.

"I'm not too concerned right now with trying to catch Chris or Martina; I'm trying to catch the people right in front of me," said Sabatini, who captured her first pro title last year by winning the Japan Open. "I need to improve my own game by moving my legs more. There is a lot of hard work ahead."

Graf will meet another upcoming teen-ager, 14-year-old Mary Joe Fernandez, in one of today's early matches on the stadium court. Sabatini will face Susan Mascarin before the Graf- Fernandez match.

Earlier in the day, Kathleen Horvath of Largo, Fla., came from behind to upset seventh-seeded Catarina Lindqvist, 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.

Wednesday's results

SECOND ROUND

Chris Evert Lloyd d. Petra Huber, 6-2, 6-1; Gabriela Sabatini d. Annabel Croft, 6-0, 6-1; Kathleen Horvath d. Catarina Lindqvist, 4-6, 6-1, 6-3; Steffi Graf d. Alycia Moulton, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1; Manuela Maleeva d. Janine Thompson, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2; Kathy Rinaldi d. Marie Christine Calleja, 7-5, 6-1; Wendy Turnbull d. Anna Ivan, 2-6, 6-4, 6-2; Carling Bassett d. Larissa Savchenko, 6-2, 6-4; Kathy Jordan d. Catherine Tanvier, 6-1, 6-4; Jo Durie d. Anne Minter, 6-2, 6-3; Stephanie Rehe d. Debbie Spence, 6-1, 6-2; Mary Joe Fernandez d. Michelle Torres, 6-3, 6-3; Anna Maria Cecchini d. Angeliki Kanollopoulou, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3.

Today's schedule

Stadium court: 10:30 a.m. -- Kathleen Horvath vs. Andrea Temesvari; Jo Durie vs. Bonnie Gadusek; Susan Mascarin vs. Gabriela Sabatini; Mary Joe Fernandez vs. Steffi Graf; Ann Croft-Kathleen Horvath vs. Betsy Nagelsen-Barbara Potter.

Stadium court: 6 p.m. -- Kathy Jordan-Elizabeth Smylie vs. Steffi Graf-Catherine Tanvier; Chris Evert Lloyd vs. Carling Bassett; Penny Barg-Leigh Thompson vs. Carling Bassett-Rosalyn Fairbanks.

Court 1: 11 a.m. -- Stephanie Rehe vs. Kathy Rinaldi; Kathy Jordan vs. Manuela Maleeva; Jo Durie-Anne Hobbs vs. Lilian Drescher-Christiane Jolissaint; Susan Mascarin-Terry Phelps vs. Mercedes Paz-Kim Sands.

Court 3: 11 a.m. -- Wendy Turnbull vs. Anna Maria Cecchini; Catarina Lindqvist-Joanne Russell vs. Isabelle Demongeot-Ann Tauziat.