Florianopolis SF Niculescu destroys (7) Mladenovic 6-0 6-2 - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 04:54 PM   #46
country flag Darop.

Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute Darop. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Florianopolis SF Niculescu destroys (7) Mladenovic 6-0 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
It's just junk thrown in at random, let's not kid ourselves.

Junkulescu's considerable retrieving skills earn her way more points than all those fug slice FHs.
PUAH.
Contrarily to Errani, Niculescu can ballbash and hit very hard off both wings, but she chooses not to against most opponents, because she doesn't need to. Having a wide array of shots and alternatives on court + using those skills to target your opponent's weaknesses hence playing high percentage tennis and forcing your opponent to play low percentage tennis = genius by today's WTA standard. You can keep convincing yourself that she just randomly sliced and diced everything and somehow won if that makes you happy though.

If Niculescu goes on court one day playing like shit she has lots of alternatives to try to scrape off a win. If Kvitova goes on court one day playing like shit all you see is balls spraying all over the place.

Darop. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 04:54 PM   #47
country flag toxina90

toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute toxina90 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
I suppose the average tennis forum poster just thought "hmmm pretty long legged blonde who hits hard vs girl who hits lots of forehand slices, I will go with the blonde." TennisForum in a nutshell.
For once I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15 View Post
Watching Niculescu is like watching art cinema with subtitles after you've been watching Hollywood Blockbusters all week.
I wouldn't go that far though I would compare watching her to a Lars Von Trier film; painful, disturbing, yet hauntingly wonderful.

Zakopalova~Dulko~Paszek~Pironkova~Clijsters~Golovi n~K.Bondarenko~Bouchard~Tsurenko

Schiavone~Li~Petkovic~Perebiynis~Mirza~Morigami~Fe dak~Wickmayer~Peer
toxina90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 04:57 PM   #48
country flag Igorche

Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute

Kristina

Tennis Tipping
TITLES
Singles:
2012: CH Quanzhou, CH Charlottesville
Doubles: 2011: CH Antalya (W/coolfish1103) 2013: CH Andrezieux-Boutheon (W/kfh_9118) 2014: WTA Linz, CH Asuncion (W/kfh_9118), CH Ankara (W/Michael!)
Igorche is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 05:49 PM   #49
country flag Cindy and Kate

Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute

She is art cinema; has more alternatives in her game than Kvitova....
I wonder why she isn't then a top 10 player instead of being at number 75
Cindy and Kate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 06:06 PM   #50
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
1) I certainly never said Monica had more alternatives in her game than Kvitova. But then Kvitova is hardly the typical power player. She does have a lot more to her game than most big hitters do.

2) With regard to the 2nd sentence, you will notice art house movies don't actually do as well at the box office as big Hollywood Blockbusters. That is one of the things that makes the analogy quite good. Nobody here is suggesting Monica is a top 10 standard player.

But a few are suggesting, quite rightly, that she brings something into the sport that you don't get from a lot of the "Hollywood Blockbuster" types of players. Also the analogy doesn't suggest that one style is good and another is bad or anything like that. More that Monica brings something to the table in her matches that you just don't get very much anywhere else. Whether that something is something one likes or not is up to the individual. Personally, I love it, but like art films, she isn't to all tastes. And also as in art house movies the joys to be found in Monica's play come from the subtle details of the way she makes a tennis ball spin or the way she nullifies the strengths of her opponent rather than the more flashy in your face pyrotechnics of a modern power hitter's play.

Last edited by Shvedbarilescu : Mar 2nd, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
Shvedbarilescu is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 06:25 PM   #51
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darop. View Post
PUAH.
Contrarily to Errani, Niculescu can ballbash and hit very hard off both wings, but she chooses not to against most opponents, because she doesn't need to. Having a wide array of shots and alternatives on court + using those skills to target your opponent's weaknesses hence playing high percentage tennis and forcing your opponent to play low percentage tennis = genius by today's WTA standard. You can keep convincing yourself that she just randomly sliced and diced everything and somehow won if that makes you happy though.

If Niculescu goes on court one day playing like shit she has lots of alternatives to try to scrape off a win. If Kvitova goes on court one day playing like shit all you see is balls spraying all over the place.
At least she can bash her backhand and she did it against AMG for most part of the match.

Monica isn't a genius, we fans know that, it's all about adapting your game to the next opponent you face and choose the right shot at the right time. Monica is willing to adapt, she said it in the interviews during the week herself. This alone is enough to expose many players these days with obvious flaws in their games, in Monica's case mostly the ones with brainless shot selection, poor movement and the inability to come to the net. Of course people tend to say then, that the opponents are losing the match rather than Monica winning and to a certain extempt it's really true, because Monica as you said knows exactly how to get the worst out of the other girl. Just have a look at her matches against Safarova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
A series of injuries last year, but from now on, only 90 points to defend until Beijing. Looking very good for her to at least get back into the Top 30, yet to lose a match against someone out of Top 40 in 2013.

It's pretty obvious that Monica herself still has a lot of holes in her game herself:
- Nothing that deserves to be called serve
- Tendency to not let go after wasted opportunities in a match, breaking down under pressure
- Problems to put away sitters on the net
- Problems to create angles from the baseline
- Dependent on the opponent's pace, easy to outplay on slower surfaces because her strokes lack depth
- Can't finish points quickly on her own by attacking a weak serve for example, which can tire her out during a week
- Very vulnerable against experienced players, especially the ones who know how to play on the net

Good for her that the amount of players matching the last point reduce from year to year. That's also one of the reasons Monica is getting better every year.
Curcubeu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 06:51 PM   #52
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
Is Mladenovic really better looking?
As long as she keeps her lips sealed (covers her teeth), yes.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 08:16 PM   #53

Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
1) I certainly never said Monica had more alternatives in her game than Kvitova. But then Kvitova is hardly the typical power player. She does have a lot more to her game than most big hitters do.

2) With regard to the 2nd sentence, you will notice art house movies don't actually do as well at the box office as big Hollywood Blockbusters. That is one of the things that makes the analogy quite good. Nobody here is suggesting Monica is a top 10 standard player.

But a few are suggesting, quite rightly, that she brings something into the sport that you don't get from a lot of the "Hollywood Blockbuster" types of players. Also the analogy doesn't suggest that one style is good and another is bad or anything like that. More that Monica brings something to the table in her matches that you just don't get very much anywhere else. Whether that something is something one likes or not is up to the individual. Personally, I love it, but like art films, she isn't to all tastes. And also as in art house movies the joys to be found in Monica's play come from the subtle details of the way she makes a tennis ball spin or the way she nullifies the strengths of her opponent rather than the more flashy in your face pyrotechnics of a modern power hitter's play.
The Kvitova reference wasn't made by you, but it was made.

I know what you and the original poster mean with the art cinema analogy. But for me, not all analogies are valid, sometimes they are faulty from the beginning and usually lead you to dead end streets.
For starters, the poster said art movies "with subtitles", meaning foreing "weird" pictures with a substance only grasped by the intellectual elite. A film like Haneke's "The white band" probably fits that description for the mass public, but it's good not because is arty, but because it's mind boggling brilliant in every respect. Movies can be arty and trashy too. The same with books: Is Niculescu one written by Margaret Atwood, and Wozniacki one written by Danielle Steel ? Not at all.
In arts quality is not measured sadly by success, the examples are endless; but in sports it is most of the times, and that quality is reflected in the tennis players ranking positions.
Niculescu is an unusual tricky player who causes several upsets from time to time, but who IMO lacks some weapons to take a big step into the rankings, mainly her serve and forehand. I hope she improves though, as I like to see as many contrast of styles as possible, especially when you have in mind the litte variety in those power hitters that you mention.

Last edited by Cindy and Kate : Mar 2nd, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 08:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcubeu View Post

A series of injuries last year, but from now on, only 90 points to defend until Beijing. Looking very good for her to at least get back into the Top 30, yet to lose a match against someone out of Top 40 in 2013.

It's pretty obvious that Monica herself still has a lot of holes in her game herself:
- Nothing that deserves to be called serve
- Tendency to not let go after wasted opportunities in a match, breaking down under pressure
- Problems to put away sitters on the net
- Problems to create angles from the baseline
- Dependent on the opponent's pace, easy to outplay on slower surfaces because her strokes lack depth
- Can't finish points quickly on her own by attacking a weak serve for example, which can tire her out during a week
- Very vulnerable against experienced players, especially the ones who know how to play on the net

Good for her that the amount of players matching the last point reduce from year to year. That's also one of the reasons Monica is getting better every year.
Very good analysis, and as I said, I hope she improves and overcomes little by little those deficiencies in her game.