Who is your favorite Oscar's Best Actress of the last decade? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Oscar's Best Actress of the last decade?

Best Actress 2003: Charlize Theron (Monster) 41 27.52%
Best Actress 2004: Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby) 7 4.70%
Best Actress 2005: Reese Witherspoon (Walk The Line) 3 2.01%
Best Actress 2006: Helen Mirren (The Queen) 7 4.70%
Best Actress 2007: Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose) 28 18.79%
Best Actress 2008: Kate Winslet (The Reader) 16 10.74%
Best Actress 2009: Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side) 4 2.68%
Best Actress 2010: Natalie Portman (Black Swan) 18 12.08%
Best Actress 2011: Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady) 12 8.05%
Best Actress 2012: Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook) 13 8.72%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 27th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #61
country flag Bayo

Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who is your favorite Oscar's Best Actress of the last decade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatecutter View Post
Natalie Portman isn't the worst, but her performance is hardly one for the ages. As someone else mentioned, Aronofsky deserves all the credit. Any credible actress could have done that performance, and imagine how much BETTER it would have been if a great actress had gotten that part?? Portman was much better in Closer IMO.

It's interesting that Theron is winning this poll. I actually think Watts should have won that year. There had been so many documentaries done about Aileen Wuornos so it's not hard to imagine Theron studying them intensely in order to replicate her. I don't think there's a coincidence she's only been nominated once since. I don't think she's a bad actress, but she's not a great one.
Wasn't Charlize nominated a couple of years later for North Country, too?

Another great performance BTW.
Serena's game is like the limitation of the spirit to it's very basic elements, sleep (or the process of going to sleep), eat, rerun [...] the two first, all and absolutely unnecessary to a person's life just like Serena's game is to tennis are often overpraised for whatever reasons in certain close-minded brain-broken societies.
Bayo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 27th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #62
Harry.

Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute

How is it even possible to pick from this list They were all amazing performances (except Sandra Bullock and Reese Witherspoon). I picked Marion because her performance in La vie en Rose was probably one of the best acting performances I have ever seen. And Helen Mirren second.
Harry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #63
country flag Drimal

Drimal has a reputation beyond repute Drimal has a reputation beyond repute Drimal has a reputation beyond repute Drimal has a reputation beyond repute Drimal has a reputation beyond repute Drimal has a reputation beyond repute Drimal has a reputation beyond repute Drimal has a reputation beyond repute Drimal has a reputation beyond repute Drimal has a reputation beyond repute Drimal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Since I've seen all of these I should do a list like in Supporting Actress:

Poor:

Kate Winslet, The Reader (Shameless Oscar Bait)
I agree totally average performance in a totally average movie.

Kerber :: Razzano :: Siniakova :: Hantuchova :: Diyas :: Svitolina
Drimal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #64
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatecutter View Post
Natalie Portman isn't the worst, but her performance is hardly one for the ages. As someone else mentioned, Aronofsky deserves all the credit. Any credible actress could have done that performance, and imagine how much BETTER it would have been if a great actress had gotten that part?? Portman was much better in Closer IMO.
Just because Darren also deserved to win, it doesn't mean Natalie deserved any less. This is like when Scorsese missed out but De Niro won for Raging Bull. They both deserved it.

Stop with this passive aggressive "anyone could've done that performance" BS. If you think that, you need to provide evidence. Anyone can say that about any performance. It's quite funny also that you, as a fanboy of The Reader, are saying this.

That's a role that could've been picked up by anyone and rode to Oscar victory as it was Oscar bait, the worst of its kind, campaigned to death by Harvey Weinstein. And that could've been done a lot better by I don't know a real German actress who spoke English with a German accent like Diane Kruger for example. But I guess that wouldn't fit the Oscar baiting ways of the Weinsteins. Not a big enough star, certainly not owed an Oscar.

There are instances when actresses have won because they are in an Oscar-friendly movie or they got swept up in an Oscar favourite's sweep of awards. Neither of these happened. Darren Aronofsky is anti-Oscar. His work has never really been embraced by Oscars. Natalie didn't do this to win an Oscar. This role and film might've been completely lost and forgotten if it weren't for Natalie in the starring role.

So go on, please tell me, WHO could've done it? Meryl Streep? Kate herself? Michelle Williams? Aside from anything else, that wasn't a project that Darren just picked an actress randomly when casting time came. They had talked about it for years. Natalie was always going to be the Black Swan. As a side note, how do improve on perfection? "How much better it would've been?" Does one ask how much better it would've been if someone else was cast as Scarlett O'Hara in Gone in the Wind instead of Vivien Leigh? Does anyone ask how much better it would've been if someone was cast as Martha in Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf instead of Elizabeth Taylor? One does not entertain such thoughts because one does not question Perfection.

It's great that you think Nat was better in Closer. She has had an impressive resume but again that doesn't make her achievement in Black Swan any less. It's OK if you don't like it. It's OK even if you think someone really mediocre in that year like Annette Bening (God I hate her fanboys) should've won that year but don't come up with this BS excuses for Natalie winning because I won't stand for it and I will slam you down.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #65
country flag King Halep

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 28th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #66
country flag Tennisation

Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
I was waiting for this gif to vindicate her talent, but I didn't see any boobs flashing.
Tennisation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #67
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Just because Darren also deserved to win, it doesn't mean Natalie deserved any less. This is like when Scorsese missed out but De Niro won for Raging Bull. They both deserved it.

Stop with this passive aggressive "anyone could've done that performance" BS. If you think that, you need to provide evidence. Anyone can say that about any performance. It's quite funny also that you, as a fanboy of The Reader, are saying this.

That's a role that could've been picked up by anyone and rode to Oscar victory as it was Oscar bait, the worst of its kind, campaigned to death by Harvey Weinstein. And that could've been done a lot better by I don't know a real German actress who spoke English with a German accent like Diane Kruger for example. But I guess that wouldn't fit the Oscar baiting ways of the Weinsteins. Not a big enough star, certainly not owed an Oscar.

There are instances when actresses have won because they are in an Oscar-friendly movie or they got swept up in an Oscar favourite's sweep of awards. Neither of these happened. Darren Aronofsky is anti-Oscar. His work has never really been embraced by Oscars. Natalie didn't do this to win an Oscar. This role and film might've been completely lost and forgotten if it weren't for Natalie in the starring role.

So go on, please tell me, WHO could've done it? Meryl Streep? Kate herself? Michelle Williams? Aside from anything else, that wasn't a project that Darren just picked an actress randomly when casting time came. They had talked about it for years. Natalie was always going to be the Black Swan. As a side note, how do improve on perfection? "How much better it would've been?" Does one ask how much better it would've been if someone else was cast as Scarlett O'Hara in Gone in the Wind instead of Vivien Leigh? Does anyone ask how much better it would've been if someone was cast as Martha in Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf instead of Elizabeth Taylor? One does not entertain such thoughts because one does not question Perfection.

It's great that you think Nat was better in Closer. She has had an impressive resume but again that doesn't make her achievement in Black Swan any less. It's OK if you don't like it. It's OK even if you think someone really mediocre in that year like Annette Bening (God I hate her fanboys) should've won that year but don't come up with this BS excuses for Natalie winning because I won't stand for it and I will slam you down.
Dogmatic Your truth is not everyone's truth.

Of course anybody can raise question about ANY actresses in a role. Margaret Sullavan comes to mind when I think of GWTW; she had a one fiery temper, was headstrong and passionate, and was a 'Southern Belle', no less.

I haven't seen Monster, but did see all others. I would watch Sandra again.
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 12:04 AM   #68
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Loved Charlize in Monster, and she was fantastic in Young Adult, loved that movie! I hated North County, though, horrible and she wasn't remotely convincing as an iron mine worker. I thought the whole movie was laughable. Do give Young Adult a try, and if you view it as a comedy from the start instead of realizing it was a dark comedy halfway through, you will enjoy it a lot more.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 12:08 AM   #69

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about all the hate on The Reader. I liked it quite a bit, and she owned that movie despite relatively little screen time. She managed to bring sympathy to a character normally who would have none, and make her interesting. And I said before, she nailed the sex scenes.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 12:10 AM   #70
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
Loved Charlize in Monster, and she was fantastic in Young Adult, loved that movie! I hated North County, though, horrible and she wasn't remotely convincing as an iron mine worker. I thought the whole movie was laughable. Do give Young Adult a try, and if you view it as a comedy from the start instead of realizing it was a dark comedy halfway through, you will enjoy it a lot more.
Just checked it on imdb, and it looks promising, I always enjoy romantic comedies 'Charlize Laughs!'(a.k.a. Garbo in 'Ninotchka')
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 12:10 AM   #71
country flag ViceUltramontain
Don't leave me now

ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute ViceUltramontain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not sure about all the hate on The Reader. I liked it quite a bit, and she owned that movie despite relatively little screen time. She managed to bring sympathy to a character normally who would have none, and make her interesting. And I said before, she nailed the sex scenes.
+1

The movie was far from good (even though it got a nod for Best Picture) but her performance was really solid. It's pretty much the same situation as Streep in The Iron Lady (the later being a way worse movie than The Reader though).
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 12:12 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
Just checked it on imdb, and it looks promising, I always enjoy romantic comedies 'Charlize Laughs!'(a.k.a. Garbo in 'Ninotchka')
I was confused by it for about 45 minutes because I thought it was serious and wondering if her character was on LSD, and then I realized it was a comedy. Loved it!!
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 01:01 AM   #73
country flag Bayo

Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute

Young Adult was depressing af tbh.

But I did enjoy it.
Serena's game is like the limitation of the spirit to it's very basic elements, sleep (or the process of going to sleep), eat, rerun [...] the two first, all and absolutely unnecessary to a person's life just like Serena's game is to tennis are often overpraised for whatever reasons in certain close-minded brain-broken societies.
Bayo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 09:48 AM   #74
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute

Charlize Theron was, in my view, exceptional and head and shoulders above the rest. It dismays me that she has been so underused since. But she still looks like a star and has incredible talent to back it up.

Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 09:50 AM   #75
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I enjoyed The Reader very much when watching it and thought Kate was excellent in the role for all the reasons you say. However, afterwards I began picking holes in the plot - the big one being how her own lawyer didn't know she couldn't read or write! She gave the film a level of credibility that without her it wouldn't have had.

Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote