Who is your favorite Oscar's Best Actress of the last decade? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Oscar's Best Actress of the last decade?

Best Actress 2003: Charlize Theron (Monster) 41 27.52%
Best Actress 2004: Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby) 7 4.70%
Best Actress 2005: Reese Witherspoon (Walk The Line) 3 2.01%
Best Actress 2006: Helen Mirren (The Queen) 7 4.70%
Best Actress 2007: Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose) 28 18.79%
Best Actress 2008: Kate Winslet (The Reader) 16 10.74%
Best Actress 2009: Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side) 4 2.68%
Best Actress 2010: Natalie Portman (Black Swan) 18 12.08%
Best Actress 2011: Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady) 12 8.05%
Best Actress 2012: Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook) 13 8.72%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #16
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who is your favorite Oscar's Best Actress of the last decade?

Charlize had the best performance out of the list, and is my favorite. After her Cotillard and Portman.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 05:15 AM   #17
country flag McPie
Xīn Yuān Yāng Hϊ Diι Mθng

McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute

Nat & Jenny

please don't ask the reason

The McFanPage | The McTrans Page | The McTwit | The McThread 4 | The McList on IMDb | The McTumblr | The McStagram
Proud Older Stepsister of Natasha Nicole, TF Transgender Female Lesbian Duo
McPie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #18
country flag skanky~skanketta

skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute

Best Actress 2003: Charlize Theron (Monster) - She was by far the best the year she was nominated. I still can't get over the fact that Diane Keaton was nominated for Something's Gotta Give.
Best Actress 2004: Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby) - I liked Hilary and Kate, but my fave performance in 2004 was by Imelda Staunton.
Best Actress 2005: Reese Witherspoon (Walk The Line) - I love Reese, but the award should have gone to Felicity Huffman.
Best Actress 2006: Helen Mirren (The Queen) - Well deserved win for Helen.
Best Actress 2007: Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose) - Admittedly, I've not seen La Vie en Rose, but from the other four, Laura Linney was amaze in Savages.
Best Actress 2008: Kate Winslet (The Reader) - Right winner, wrong movie, wrong category. Kate turned in a brilliant performance in Revolutionary Road. By far the best of the year. And she should have won Best Supporting for The Reader in which she was equally as spectacular (and better than the other actresses nominated that year, which is really saying a lot because Amy Adams, Viola Davis, Penelope Cruz, Taraji and Marisa Tomei was great!)
Best Actress 2009: Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side) - I dont understand how Meryl and Helen Mirren were nominated that year. I mean, come on. Very weak year IMO, so Sandra deserved it.
Best Actress 2010: Natalie Portman (Black Swan) - For me this was a tough year cuz Nicole was amaze in Rabbit Hole as was Annette Bening in The Kids are Alright. I would have gone with Annette.
Best Actress 2011: Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady) - Why was Rooney Mara nominated? Meryl's win was a long time coming, but I would have gone with Viola Davis.
Best Actress 2012: Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook) - for me it was close between Naomi Watts and Jennifer Lawrence. Still too fresh, so I cant decide.

My fave actress overall is Kate Winslet, but in terms of winning for the movie they deserved to, I'd have to go with Helen Mirren and Charlize Theron.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #19
country flag Mateo Mathieu
Aliasholic

Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute

Charlize Theron by a country mile! Her performance in Monster was beyond amazing!

♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎

Mateo Mathieu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #20
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to agree that Charlize was the best. At the time, I thought she possibly shouldn't have won as she was lent quite a big hand by the make-up department. So much as said of her (physical) transformation. However, looking back, her role really stands out. Others are very solid but not exactly extraordinary.

I still voted for Streep. Even though she didn't set the world alight in TIL she was LONG overdue. The Academy thought it was enough to nominate her every other year (she should never have been nominated for The Devil Wears Prade) but it wasn't, she deserved a third win at the very least.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #21
country flag Lord Choc Ice
Hot Messes Need Love

Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute

The Oscars are better than the Grammy's but IMO they still lack authenticity. Too much room for personal bias, especially as a huge part of the academy are actors and actresses themselves and can refuse to vote for a fellow (even if their performance was the best of those nominated) if they dislike them on a personal level. Sure, a bunch of them would keep it professional, but I doubt all would.

Despite that, an Oscar would be a nice thing to have and the performance has to be at least good to be nominated (unlike the Grammy's ). And besides, it's impossible to remove all personal bias in awards chosen by persons .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
I still voted for Streep. Even though she didn't set the world alight in TIL she was LONG overdue. The Academy thought it was enough to nominate her every other year (she should never have been nominated for The Devil Wears Prade) but it wasn't, she deserved a third win at the very least.
That's another thing that bugs me about the Oscars. After a while an actress or actor wins the award if it's felt that they're overdue for one even if that particular performance was far from their best work. Sort of an 'unofficial lifetime achievement award'. Of course it doesn't happen for every oft-nominated actor, but sometimes that seems to be the case.

Apparently Dame Judi's cameo in Shakespeare in Love was her masterpiece .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Lord Choc Ice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #22
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Biased, Meryl.
ElusiveChanteuse is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #23
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Charlize Theron in Monster was absolutely staggering. Complete immersion into one of the most damaged characters in modern American history. It was just incredible how authentically she was able to sustain the performance, plus her attention to detail was outstanding.

I always think Winslet won for the wrong movie. I much preferred ESOTSP or even Revolutionary Road. I kind of thought the Academy thought she was due a win, so whatever film she would've starred in that year, she would've got one. The same for Meryl Streep in the Iron Lady.

Cotillard was superb in La Vie En Rose, but I never found it as captivating as Theron's performance. I felt like she already had more facility for this role, and she didn't really have to plumb the depths as much. It's the pinnacle of her career though, no doubt.

Bullock's was just no.

Helen Mirren's the Queen was a touching and astute performance but I don't think it was Oscar worthy. The same with Swank. It was such a credible performance, but I feel like her best work came before this.

Natalie Portman's Black Swan wasn't that impressive in hindsight. Well acted by Portman's standards, but not particularly memorable or transcending the film itself. It's the typical edgy, distorted style of film that can inflate a certain performance, no matter how good or bad it is.

Reese Witherspoon actually impressed me in Walk the Line, very much like Jennifer Anniston did in The Good Girl. But the fact that she's never replicated anything close to her performance again, suggests that she was a tad overrated and over-achieved in winning the Oscar.

Jennifer Lawrence could be one of the defining actors of the next few decades, so I think she fully deserved to win.

But overall, Theron slayed.

Last edited by The Dawntreader : Feb 26th, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #24
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
Cotillard-hate subtitles, haven't seen it.
this says so much about you.

i've never seen "monster". my pick would be either cotillard or portman.

Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #25
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently I don't feel very drawn to films in which female actresses shine. Of all these films I've only seen Walk the Line, Million Dollar Baby and The Reader.

I thought Witherspoon, Swank and Winslet all put in pretty good performances in those movies, even though I didn't much like The Reader as a film, thought the whole premise was pretty much BS tbh. I really admire Mirren and Streep, but didn't feel very motivated to go and see movies about elderly British ladies, iron or otherwise. The others have been okay in some movies I've seen, but nothing special, although maybe that was just the poor material they've had to work with most of the time, or the typecasted roles they've played.

Not having seen most of the films it wouldn't be right for me to vote in the poll, but of the three I did see I enjoyed Reese Witherspoon as June Carter the best.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #26
country flag mariusz_pol

mariusz_pol has much to be proud of mariusz_pol has much to be proud of mariusz_pol has much to be proud of mariusz_pol has much to be proud of mariusz_pol has much to be proud of mariusz_pol has much to be proud of mariusz_pol has much to be proud of mariusz_pol has much to be proud of mariusz_pol has much to be proud of mariusz_pol has much to be proud of mariusz_pol has much to be proud of

Out of actress awarded by leading role it's Reese. Out of leading and supporting role and overall definitely it's Cate Blanchett
mariusz_pol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #27
country flag Duramont

Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute Duramont has a reputation beyond repute

Jennifer Lawrence, followed by Helen Mirren

Minella :: Lisicki :: Date :: Cornet :: Jankovic :: Siniakova :: Diyas :: Svitolina
Duramont is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #28
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Kate Winslet. Easily.

Forever Chakvetadze
Setsuna. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #29
country flag Julian.
Keep calm and be gay.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute

Jennifer Lawrence has probably become one of my favorite actress now She is so dammn funny in real life

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic • Benoit Paire •
tumblr. • graphics thread •
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #30
country flag Mynarco
Thank You For The Music

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
Charlize Theron in Monster was absolutely staggering. Complete immersion into one of the most damaged characters in modern American history. It was just incredible how authentically she was able to sustain the performance, plus her attention to detail was outstanding.

I always think Winslet won for the wrong movie. I much preferred ESOTSP or even Revolutionary Road. I kind of thought the Academy thought she was due a win, so whatever film she would've starred in that year, she would've got one. The same for Meryl Streep in the Iron Lady.

Cotillard was superb in La Vie En Rose, but I never found it as captivating as Theron's performance. I felt like she already had more facility for this role, and she didn't really have to plumb the depths as much. It's the pinnacle of her career though, no doubt.

Bullock's was just no.

Helen Mirren's the Queen was a touching and astute performance but I don't think it was Oscar worthy. The same with Swank. It was such a credible performance, but I feel like her best work came before this.

Natalie Portman's Black Swan wasn't that impressive in hindsight. Well acted by Portman's standards, but not particularly memorable or transcending the film itself. It's the typical edgy, distorted style of film that can inflate a certain performance, no matter how good or bad it is.

Reese Witherspoon actually impressed me in Walk the Line, very much like Jennifer Anniston did in The Good Girl. But the fact that she's never replicated anything close to her performance again, suggests that she was a tad overrated and over-achieved in winning the Oscar.

Jennifer Lawrence could be one of the defining actors of the next few decades, so I think she fully deserved to win.

But overall, Theron slayed.
Jonathan Totally agree with your analysis here
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 ; Beijing 11 ; Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 (w/Drake1980) ; Auckland+Copenhagen 10 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 11 (w/Richie's) ; Stuttgart+Baku 12 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 (w/Frederik)

Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote