The "we already miss Arantxa" thread! - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:45 AM   #31
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
I understand Jason..I remember all us Arantxa fans would always have those "heart attacks" when we all look at Arantxa's match with live scores! My best memory was probably 2000 French Open and Wimbledon..A LOT of close matches in those tourneys!

But I agree it's just not the same..but at least Im more calm now u know? lol But I still have Sveta to cheer for, as well as others but of course they can never replace what had been.

1989, 1994, 1998 French Open Champion, 1994 U.S. Open Champion
1994, 1995 Australian Open Finalist, 1995, 1996 Wimbledon Finalist
4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 12:53 AM   #32
country flag JasonW

JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light
Just looking at all those pictures almost made me cry. I remember that Picture with MartinaReal, as i was a ball boy on that court and Arantxa called me by name for the whole match (and rest of tourney). They were talkin about how Arantxa had been an answer to a question on Jeopardy,and having such a good time. This years tourney at Amelia Island won't be nearly as good without the crowd favorite, and i'm reallly torn on who to cheer for...(prolly Monica)

Btw, Marsha, U gonna be there?

Visit http://www.ludorock.com Ludo is the next big band!!!
JasonW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 01:04 AM   #33
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonW
Just looking at all those pictures almost made me cry. I remember that Picture with MartinaReal, as i was a ball boy on that court and Arantxa called me by name for the whole match (and rest of tourney). They were talkin about how Arantxa had been an answer to a question on Jeopardy,and having such a good time. This years tourney at Amelia Island won't be nearly as good without the crowd favorite, and i'm reallly torn on who to cheer for...(prolly Monica)

Btw, Marsha, U gonna be there?
Sorry if those pics made you cry Jason! Sounds like you have really nice memories of ASV.

raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 12:06 AM   #34
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of

4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!

Last edited by Julian : Apr 12th, 2003 at 03:29 PM.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 08:24 PM   #35
country flag PamShriverRockz

PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute
Aw what nice pics Its been said before but tennis just isn't the same without Arantxa!

Some more

"Her enduring legacy is far more emotional, instead of statistical..."

"To watch Arantxa Sanchez Vicario play tennis was to rediscover the reason why we fell in love with the game in the first place."

Last edited by PamShriverRockz : Mar 31st, 2003 at 08:44 PM.
PamShriverRockz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:34 PM   #36
country flag selesfan87

selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice selesfan87 is just really nice
Theres plenty of Arantxa in Virtua Tennis II.
selesfan87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #37
Julian

Virtua Tennis 2?? What game system is that!? lol Anyway sorry for being late but here are Arantxa's past results at the Family Circle Cup:

Arantxa played every year since 1987-2002! She had a good result reaching the semis in 89, 91, and 92 (losing to Graf, Sabatini, and Martinez respectively) It wasn't until 1993 where she reached the final..then losing to Steffi again.

1995 was a pretty dramatic year..she was playing against Amanda Coetzer in the Round of 16 and DURING the match (not sure exactly when) she slipped, and rolled over her ankle! I saw a clip of this a long time ago and it still scares me to this day..I don't have a pic but Arantxa got up and still beat Amanda! And lord knows you have to do a lot of running and hitting to beat Amanda. I think this was her first injury EVER at the time (correct me if Im wrong) and she had to withdraw her next match against Maggie and the tournament. But it still boggles the mind that she still won that match, that, and at the FO that year I heard she had stomach aliments as well, so even though she didn't have as good results as 1994 she still had a pretty good year..

1996! She won only 2 titles that year (finalist in 7 others) but one of them she won was at the FCC. Then she beat for the first time a young Martina Hingis in their first meeting..this also had pretty unusual scorelines:

16 W Martina Hingis 0-6, 6-2, 6-2
QF W Sabine Hack 6-2, 6-2
SF W Jana Novotna 6-2, 6-2
FR W Barbara Paulus 6-2, 2-6, 6-2

That woulda been funny if Martina won that first set 6-2

97-99 weren't good years but in 2000 she beat 4 VERY formidable players on clay, she made the final but lost to an in fire Pierce who also became the FO winner that year:

32 W Paola Suarez 6-3, 7-5
16 W Patty Schnyder 7-5, 6-1
QF W Amanda Coetzer 7-6(12), 3-6, 6-3 Same scoreline as 95!
SF W Conchita Martinez 7-5, 7-5
FR L Mary Pierce 1-6, 0-6

Last edited by Julian : May 12th, 2003 at 11:59 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 10:57 PM   #38
country flag DEETHELICK

DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute
I cannot belive Amelia Island is coming up and NO Arantxa!!

The defending dubs titlist!!!

She won this tourney twice in singles rite???

It really is weird not seeing her play in her beloved clay season, I remember her match against Hingis in 2001. That was aggressive, super fiesty Arantxa, she really played her heart out and won a great match!!

Vamos Arantxa
DEETHELICK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #39
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute
Yes I can't believe Amelia Island is here again and no ASV! That Hingis match was classic ASV! I found a couple of nice pics that I had not seen. One is ASV when she was quite young and another in the desert.

raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:35 PM   #40
Julian

Nice pics! Arantxa looks so cute and the 2nd one is fab!

Anyway it is now the Bausch and Lomb championships and I too can't believe she isn't here ..but we still have those fond memories and of course the one that stands out was her match against Hingis in 2001..possibly the best match Arantxa has ever played!

Looked at past results Arantxa has played this tourney from 1987-1994, 1996-1997, and 2000-2002, not sure why she missed 98 and 99 but Im sure she missed 95 due to her injury she sustained earlier at Hilton Head.

Another interesting thing I noticed, from 1987-1994 she either lost to or won against Graf or Sabatini! look:

87, 88, 91-lost to Gaby
89, 90, 92- lost to Steffi
93, 94-beat Gaby

She won 2 titles which was in 93 and 94:

32 Flora Perfetti 6-1, 6-2
16 Lindsay Davenport 6-2, 6-4
QF Shaun Stafford 6-2, 6-4
SF Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere 6-4, 6-2
FR Gabriela Sabatini 6-2, 5-7, 6-2

32 Ruxandra Dragomir 6-1, 6-2
16 Laurence Courtois 6-0, 6-2
QF Sabine Hack 6-1, 6-2
SF Martina Navratilova 6-4, 6-3
FR Gabriela Sabatini 6-1, 6-4

Last edited by Julian : May 13th, 2003 at 12:00 AM.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #41
country flag Mateo Mathieu
Aliasholic

Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute
*sigh* I missed her so much!

I was in tears when I saw highlights of 2002 Hopman Cup last January!! I missed her so much!!

♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎

Mateo Mathieu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #42
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian
..I don't have a pic but Arantxa got up and still beat Amanda! And lord knows you have to do a lot of running and hitting to beat Amanda. I think this was her first injury EVER at the time (correct me if Im wrong) and she had to withdraw her next match against Maggie and the tournament.
Hi Julian

Arantxa retired during the semis of the Fed Cup tie against URSS in 1990 in Atlanta while trailing 6/4 2/1 against Zvereva. But in fact that time at HH was the first time ever she couldn't play a scheduled match

Arantxa I miss you a lot
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #43
Julian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy
Hi Julian

Arantxa retired during the semis of the Fed Cup tie against URSS in 1990 in Atlanta while trailing 6/4 2/1 against Zvereva. But in fact that time at HH was the first time ever she couldn't play a scheduled match

Arantxa I miss you a lot

hi OMG I forgot about that! Do you know the reason of her retiring that match?? But wow I do have to say that Arantxa was definitely one of the most healthy players in WTA history. Her longevity was amazing!

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:46 PM   #44
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian
hi OMG I forgot about that! Do you know the reason of her retiring that match?? But wow I do have to say that Arantxa was definitely one of the most healthy players in WTA history. Her longevity was amazing!
she sprained her ankle
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:41 PM   #45
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
With Amelia Island just happening, I watched the 6-2 6-4 victory over Martina Hingis in 2001.

I miss you Arantxa....hopefully she'll come play dubs in Paris
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote