The "we already miss Arantxa" thread! - Page 26 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 19th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #376
Joseosu19

Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future
Re: The "we already miss Arantxa" thread!

Any Spainards with updates on this?

I don't know a ton of Spanish, but from what I've seen Arantxa and her parents couldn't come to an agreement, and just within the last month or so Arantxa, her husband and kids moved to Miami??
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario Always #1
Joseosu19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 20th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #377
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unfortunately, another sad story about a tennis player having major issues with her family. Such a cautionary tale about striking the right balance between player and family. So few get it right. And so many have rather ugly scars to deal with.
It is sad. How much of a chance did she ever get to be her own person I wonder? So few parents (like the Everts) strike a perfect balance without leaving scars for life.

How does she got along (or not) with her brothers, who run the Sanchez/Casal Academy in Florida?

Sabatini always struck me as sort of dependent too. It was nice to see how she bloomed and became a more rounded person in that regard.

Arantxa will come out ok-she's nothing if not a fighter.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #378
Joseosu19

Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
It is sad. How much of a chance did she ever get to be her own person I wonder? So few parents (like the Everts) strike a perfect balance without leaving scars for life.

How does she got along (or not) with her brothers, who run the Sanchez/Casal Academy in Florida?

Sabatini always struck me as sort of dependent too. It was nice to see how she bloomed and became a more rounded person in that regard.

Arantxa will come out ok-she's nothing if not a fighter.
My understanding is that Arantxa is not on good terms with her brothers, either.
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #379
Gandalf

Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all

She's not speaking to her brothers, either. The story seems to be that her parents accused her husband of being a gold-digger (they hired a private detective to prove to Arantxa that he had quite a big debt, or something) and Arantxa took his side against his parents.

In my opinion:

- Arantxa has BIG self-steem issues; I used to think that she was very confident because sometimes she was gloating about herself and her achievements non-stop, but now I actually think that this is just a manifestation of her lack of self-steem. She was never considered as pretty or talented as other players, and probably deep down she interiorized the impression that people around her were projecting.

- Her husband is with her for the money and is cutting her from all her relatives to be in control of the situation.

- Her parents probably looked down on Arantxa at times, and took her from granted.

About the money issue, I find it hard to believe that Arantxa didn't take control of her money after what happened to Steffi in 1995, or at least when she retired in 2002; that at 40, 10 years after her retirement (and after being married once already) she comes up with this makes me think that her husband is guilty on this.
Gandalf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:46 AM   #380
country flag Sonf@
yo soy darks

Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute

Arantxa's story got a lot of coverage on the yellow press here in Spain. Most of the details remained obscure but some points must be taken into consideration:

-A lot of her money was invested in properties (being the Miami house where she currently resides one of them).
-Not only she accused her parents of wasting her fortune but also of verbally abusing her and diminishing her personality. I certainly can believe the second part of this: Marisa was always with her and she seemed a very authoritarian person. When her father accompanied them the environment looked even more restrictive. However, several media brought the fortune part into question and presented many documents showing a description of Arantxa's properties whereabouts and well, she was pretty well covered. None of both versions have been proved yet so the resolution about this remains unsolved.
-When the effects of the scandal faded away a little bit she shot a one hour documentary for a Spanish TV network centered on her present life and some details of her past. She went back to her old club in Marbella where she trained as a child and a former teacher was brought to "surprise" her. She then talked about how her present life was and the cameras showed her walking around the French Open courts while supporting the Spanish players (they both lost 6/2 6/1 ). All in all it was a pretty idiotic documentary where she made a fool of herself.
-Another point of discussion was the fact that Arantxa's parents were living in one of her flats in Barcelona and that she had taken legal actions to throw them out of it. In September Emilio and Marisa were asked by reporters about this (the trial was due on the 25th) but they declined to comment. Emilio has poor health (cancer) and Marisa didn't look well either. The trial was finally suspended by both parts. Accordingly to media coverage both parts made an agreement to suspend it hoping to start negotiating privately.
-No new information appeared until Arantxa quit her position as Fed Cup captain. Soon after that she left Spain and went to live in Miami.
-Her husband's story is pretty weird too. His former girlfriend accused him of leading her economy into bankrupt and stated that he had married Arantxa for her money. Arantxa's parents suspected that too and that's why they hired a private detective. However, he was hired way before Arantxa and Pep were married and I still don't know whether they would've done the same had Arantxa tried to marry any other person or not. It's obvious that they also benefited from her fortune so it's probably the story of the hunter being hunt
-As for Arantxa's brothers: Emilio declined to comment and I don't recall Javier making any declaration either. I don't think they are that close to any of the members of their family and Emilio's denial to get involved could be interpreted in many ways.

Gandalf, I agree with your opinion on Arantxa's self-esteem issues but on a more distorted way: she's very fond of herself and she's always seeking attention. Every tennis player has a big ego so that could have something to do with it. However, to be honest, I don't think she's very clever: as in the TV documentary I mentioned before or in the book she published last year, she usually makes a fool of herself and most people find it hard to take her seriously. When she worked as a tennis commentator she always exaggerated her achievements (like stating that after losing to Sabatini in Buenos Aires in 1986 she never lost another match to her or saying she had reached more finals at the FO that she really did) and in many of her post-career interviews she didn't seem to be very bright. She may have low self-esteem or she may have a hungry ego. Or maybe both options are right.
mi mascota es tan grande que necesita un trailer para desayunar
Sonf@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 02:13 AM   #381
Joseosu19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonfo View Post
Arantxa's story got a lot of coverage on the yellow press here in Spain. Most of the details remained obscure but some points must be taken into consideration:

-A lot of her money was invested in properties (being the Miami house where she currently resides one of them).
-Not only she accused her parents of wasting her fortune but also of verbally abusing her and diminishing her personality. I certainly can believe the second part of this: Marisa was always with her and she seemed a very authoritarian person. When her father accompanied them the environment looked even more restrictive. However, several media brought the fortune part into question and presented many documents showing a description of Arantxa's properties whereabouts and well, she was pretty well covered. None of both versions have been proved yet so the resolution about this remains unsolved.
-When the effects of the scandal faded away a little bit she shot a one hour documentary for a Spanish TV network centered on her present life and some details of her past. She went back to her old club in Marbella where she trained as a child and a former teacher was brought to "surprise" her. She then talked about how her present life was and the cameras showed her walking around the French Open courts while supporting the Spanish players (they both lost 6/2 6/1 ). All in all it was a pretty idiotic documentary where she made a fool of herself.
-Another point of discussion was the fact that Arantxa's parents were living in one of her flats in Barcelona and that she had taken legal actions to throw them out of it. In September Emilio and Marisa were asked by reporters about this (the trial was due on the 25th) but they declined to comment. Emilio has poor health (cancer) and Marisa didn't look well either. The trial was finally suspended by both parts. Accordingly to media coverage both parts made an agreement to suspend it hoping to start negotiating privately.
-No new information appeared until Arantxa quit her position as Fed Cup captain. Soon after that she left Spain and went to live in Miami.
-Her husband's story is pretty weird too. His former girlfriend accused him of leading her economy into bankrupt and stated that he had married Arantxa for her money. Arantxa's parents suspected that too and that's why they hired a private detective. However, he was hired way before Arantxa and Pep were married and I still don't know whether they would've done the same had Arantxa tried to marry any other person or not. It's obvious that they also benefited from her fortune so it's probably the story of the hunter being hunt
-As for Arantxa's brothers: Emilio declined to comment and I don't recall Javier making any declaration either. I don't think they are that close to any of the members of their family and Emilio's denial to get involved could be interpreted in many ways.

Gandalf, I agree with your opinion on Arantxa's self-esteem issues but on a more distorted way: she's very fond of herself and she's always seeking attention. Every tennis player has a big ego so that could have something to do with it. However, to be honest, I don't think she's very clever: as in the TV documentary I mentioned before or in the book she published last year, she usually makes a fool of herself and most people find it hard to take her seriously. When she worked as a tennis commentator she always exaggerated her achievements (like stating that after losing to Sabatini in Buenos Aires in 1986 she never lost another match to her or saying she had reached more finals at the FO that she really did) and in many of her post-career interviews she didn't seem to be very bright. She may have low self-esteem or she may have a hungry ego. Or maybe both options are right.

Thanks for the insight. I agree about Arantxa's self-esteem issues to a certain point. I don't think she doubted herself on the tennis court...I think this was the one place where she felt she could "thrive". I think she doubted herself off the court. To her having a big following and fan base was really important, but ultimately she never got the following Steffi, Monica or Gabby had. I think she sought approval, but maybe didn't get it for anything other than tennis (which might explain Sonfo's statement that she likes to talk about her achievements). Having met Arantxa I felt she was always so nice and personable and clearly appreciated knowing she had support. I didn't feel like she was unintelligent, but felt more like she was extremely restricted by her "entourage" in what she did in the public eye and in interviews. In fact, I can remember Arantxa winning a big tournament, maybe after the 94 French Open (?) the camera captured her hugging her family and agent and you can clearly hear her agent saying "This is what you are going to say....Don't forget about the sponsors...Don't forget about Monica (this was during the time Monica was out)". Maybe naivety is a better adjective than unintelligent?

Either way I hope she gets it figured out. Family is important and I truly believe Arantxa is a great person, or at least my experiences with her have allowed me to believe that.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 09:50 AM   #382
country flag Sonf@
yo soy darks

Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute

I probably should have used naivety, yeah
mi mascota es tan grande que necesita un trailer para desayunar
Sonf@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 09:58 AM   #383
Gandalf

Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonfo View Post

This could be, too. I think in some excerpts from the book she was complaining that the fact that her parents hired the private detective 'meant that they didn't think she was beautiful enough to attract a man like that' .

So either (a) she thinks she's beautiful enough (so she has a hungry ego ) or (b) she also thinks she's not attractive enough, which is why she's angry at her parents (so she has steem issues).

***cheap psicologist mode ON ***

Perhaps my opinion comes from the fact that quite often the people that are easily offended and think that everyone is snubbing them or humiliating them are projecting outside the problems they have inside; maybe Arantxa is one of those.

***cheap psicologist mode OFF***

To put some balance, something not too nice about Arantxa's parents is that when she accused them or taking advantage of her and ruining her they immediately played the victim card (...how can she do this to us...her father has cancer...now she wants to make us homeless...), but they didn't refute the actual accusations. And really, at their age they should have their own appartment instead of living off Arantxa.
Gandalf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 05:29 PM   #384
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Mmmh, a lot of interesting talk here. Very respectful approach from everyone, as it is a delicate and undoubtely sad issue when a family breaks down like this. My take? ASV's family seems very controlling, they always were around and you could tell that Arantxa was the one who played and fought out there and they were supporting her, yes, but also had the control on everything about her. She looked happy back then, but when you grow up and especially when a man or woman becomes your own family... problems are there if your parents were used to run everything. I think ASV's husband is an attractive man, not incredibly good-looking but clearly cuter than her (who looks better now than when she was a pro BTW); so it's easily kind of intriguing for many people how much he loves her especially considering her fortune; but she evidently has self-esteem issues, as MOST not pretty women have in that area. I also think it pretty ridiculous her gloating about her own achievements especially when she, intentionally or not, distors things (how she DARED to say she never lost to Sabatini after 1986, she lost by the scores of 6060, 6460 and 6062 in the following matches and only beat the Argentine after 7 losses!); but it's probably true that it all comes from her earlier years: I think her family put her to play and leave everything else to them, and maybe she felt she wasn't being considered able about anything but playing tennis: not able to manage her own things, her money or get a nice man. And the victim role of the family after everything came out to light was not nice either: even if ASV is wrong or is not telling all the true, parents should have just said that they were pained by their daughter's attitude and hoped to get thing right PRIVATELY, that they would always love her because they were their parents or smth that way, not making victims of themselves and try to make THEIR OWN daughter look like a villainess; after all, parents should be more willing to forgive, don't you think, that's what they're parents for

Someone also mentioned about Sabatini being too into her family back then: I think she was a little too dependant, but as an Argentine myself and in those years and in Latin America, it didn't look strange, it would have if after 25 or 30 she continued to be like that, which fortunately didn't happen.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 06:35 PM   #385
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the 1 hour documentary on Arantxa:

http://www.cuatro.com/conexion-saman...427505069.html
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote