The "we already miss Arantxa" thread! - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:07 PM   #16
country flag DEETHELICK

DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute
I was thinking abt her too, what with the Aussie Open coming up. She had some great matches there and I too hope she comes back and gives us some good matches (in dubs at least!)

Vamos Arantxa
Advertisement

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #17
Gandalf

Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all
Arantxa and Monica played doubles together in Tokio one year (maybe in '97). I remeber they played Pierce and Coetzer. But Arantxa said that, although they had a lot of fun together, she was more focused on doubles than Monica was (I'm not sure who was her regular partner at the time).
Gandalf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #18
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
I hope that was the match I was thinking of Gandalf.

And sadly, with the AO coming up I too have remembered all the great matches Arantxa has had there. Being a finalist in 94, and 95 and not to mention her most dramatic match against Rubin in 96! In 98 she had a great run too, too bad she had to play against an in form Anke Huber, and which I heard was a great match! WE miss u ARANTXA!
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #19
country flag Gallofa
Diosa Contable

Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future Gallofa has a brilliant future
Aw, guys I just have to share this with everyone! someone sent me a cartoon of Arantxa for my Spanish Arantxa website, and I think it's just so great!

You can see it in the main page clicking here: http://www.geocities.com/arantxafanclub/

and the cartoon itself is here:
http://www.geocities.com/arantxafanc...antxa_main.jpg

(can't post it here, because I think geocities doesn't allow you to post their images outside of geocities)

Gallofa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #20
marsha

marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Julian
I too have remembered all the great matches Arantxa has had there [at the AO]. Being a finalist in 94, and 95 and not to mention her most dramatic match against Rubin in 96! In 98 she had a great run too, too bad she had to play against an in form Anke Huber, and which I heard was a great match! WE miss u ARANTXA!
Julian and anyone else interested, I have most of these matches on tape (NTSC format) -- the 1994 and 1995 finals for sure and I'm pretty sure the match against Anke (I don't think the Rubin match was broadcast on US TV -- maybe just some snips of it) For "true" Arantxa fans, I will share these tapes at cost.
marsha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:04 PM   #21
country flag PamShriverRockz

PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute
I miss Arantxa

Its so weird seeing the draws, the rankings without her in them! The tour is a lot less fun without her

Nevermind Arantxa is still the best!
"Her enduring legacy is far more emotional, instead of statistical..."

"To watch Arantxa Sanchez Vicario play tennis was to rediscover the reason why we fell in love with the game in the first place."
PamShriverRockz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 08:25 PM   #22
country flag DEETHELICK

DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute
Just wanted to say a quick Vamos Arantxa!!

Hopefully she is enjoying life and chilling out
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #23
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by DEETHELICK
Hopefully she is enjoying life and chilling out
According to herself she is!!!
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 01:26 AM   #24
marsha

marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice
"my" season is approaching -- the "Florida Loop" tournaments where for the past 15 years I have be privileged enough to see Arantxa play - and this year, there is nothing....

I think I might be settling in for a nice year-long depression (j/k!)
marsha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #25
Joseosu19

Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future
*bump* hope you're enjoying life, Arantxa
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario Always #1
Joseosu19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #26
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
*sigh* Well it is now the "Lipton Championships"..I'm used to saying it that way lol. She won the event twice over very good players at the time:

1992:

64 Lindsay Davenport 6-4, 6-4
32 Ginger Helgeson-Nielsen 6-2, 6-2
16 Barbara Rittner 6-1, 2-1 Retired
QF Amanda Coetzer 6-1, 6-4
SF Jennifer Capriati 6-2, 6-4
FR Gabriela Sabatini 6-1, 6-4

Wow all straight sets!

1993:

64 Rosalyn Nideffer 6-3, 6-1
32 Ann Wunderlich 6-0, 6-2
16 Natalia Zvereva 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
QF Leila Meskhi 7-5, 6-1
SF Kimiko Date 6-2, 6-1
FR Steffi Graf 6-4, 3-6, 6-3

I checked out the site and Arantxa is #7 in the best W/L record in history at Key Biscayne with a 31-12 record!

Anyway I still do miss Arantxa terribly(and it's not even the clay court season yet!) lol but Im just happy that she is enjoying her life...

1989, 1994, 1998 French Open Champion, 1994 U.S. Open Champion
1994, 1995 Australian Open Finalist, 1995, 1996 Wimbledon Finalist
4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!

Last edited by Julian : May 12th, 2003 at 11:59 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 10:25 PM   #27
country flag DEETHELICK

Yeah the above were two great wins for Arantxa!!!

I never got to see the finals....were they good???

I think Arantxa was under-rated on other surfaces, as winning the Ericsson/Lipton is a huge achievement in itself.

Vamos Arantxa....(dreading thinking about the clay season).
DEETHELICK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 08:32 PM   #28
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute
The clay court season is almost here and the first without Arantxa in about 16 years We all miss her, but as Martina Navratilova, Steffi and Chrissie all have apprecaition threads, I think ASV should get one!
Here are some memories!

Last edited by raquel : Mar 21st, 2003 at 08:51 PM.
raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 10:46 PM   #29
Julian

Wonderful pics! Heheh Im gonna go search for my Arantxa/Hingis tape at Amelia Island 2 years ago. I always feel good when I watch that.

1989, 1994, 1998 French Open Champion, 1994 U.S. Open Champion
1994, 1995 Australian Open Finalist, 1995, 1996 Wimbledon Finalist
4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:19 AM   #30
country flag JasonW

JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light JasonW is a glorious beacon of light
I'm sorry i've been off so long...i just haven't gotten back to this site since Arantxa retired. This years season is so boring, and has no spunk in the draws. I miss all the love we Arantxa fans have shared...and i will miss arantxa dearly at Amelia Island, (my home tourney) this year.
VAMOS

Visit http://www.ludorock.com Ludo is the next big band!!!
JasonW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote