The "we already miss Arantxa" thread! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 01:51 PM   #1
marsha

marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice
The "we already miss Arantxa" thread!

She's only been retired less than two months, and already tennis is not the same to me. I see the Hopman Cup results coming in and I want her name to be there! Arantxa, how could you leave us so lonely???!!!

I MISS YOU, ARANTXA!!!!!!
marsha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:18 PM   #2
ARANTXA:simply the best

ARANTXA:simply the best is just really nice ARANTXA:simply the best is just really nice ARANTXA:simply the best is just really nice ARANTXA:simply the best is just really nice ARANTXA:simply the best is just really nice ARANTXA:simply the best is just really nice ARANTXA:simply the best is just really nice ARANTXA:simply the best is just really nice ARANTXA:simply the best is just really nice ARANTXA:simply the best is just really nice ARANTXA:simply the best is just really nice
Even if you don't want to chat with me any more, I have the same feeling Marsha!!
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:44 PM   #3
country flag Nacho

Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute
Go Arantxa for ever!
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 06:57 PM   #4
Joseosu19

Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future Joseosu19 has a brilliant future
i miss her!
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario Always #1
Joseosu19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2002, 02:46 AM   #5
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
Arantxa should return just to play doubles. She was still so good at it...
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:39 PM   #6
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
Yes I miss Arantxa already..knowing that we won't see her name in another draw again I still can't believe..I guess life goes on though! Spain already lost in the 1st round too.
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:23 PM   #7
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute
I miss ASV especially, as Julian says, results and draws are coming through with no Arantxa. Anyway, found this article Jon Wertheim wrote on CNNsports.com:

Let's start the questions by paying tribute to Arantxa Sanchez Vicario who of course, called it a career last week. What is her place in tennis history? Good question. Objectively, her career bona fides are impeccable : winning four Grand Slam singles titles, making the finals eight other times, earning more than $17 million in prize money and achieving the top ranking in both singles and doubles (doing so simultaneously at one point, to boot) makes for a Hall Of Fame worthy career. Not quite worthy of a suite in the Steffi Graf/Chris Evert/Martina Navratilova wing, but it's only one level down.

In part because ASV's hustling counterpunching style wasn't always pretty (and was more or less rendered obsolete by a generation of power hitters) and in part because she never had much interest in photo shoots and celebrity packaging, the Ranch never really got her due as a player. History though, doesn't much care about celebrity boyfriends, family drama and how you look in makeup and heels. Rest assured that Sanchez Vicario's career accomplishments will stand the test of time a lot better than some of her flashier comtemporaries.

raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:48 AM   #8
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Arantxa

John Wertheim

I have the feeling Arantxa will play Madrid & Roland Garros with Sveta Wait and see...
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:17 AM   #9
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Arantxa The Aussie will be missing you big time...but I think it will REALLY become a reality for me this clay season
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 02:33 PM   #10
marsha

marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Zummi
Arantxa should return just to play doubles. She was still so good at it...
I *totally* agree with you, Zummi! And, after all, she has the great example set by her former doubles partner, one Ms. Navratilova who made it "respectable" to return after a break as "just" a doubles player. I hope Arantxa will take our advice! *LOL*

PS -- I notice MartinaReal is doing quite nicely "down under" partnering with Sveta -- you go girl(s)!!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:28 PM   #11
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
Marsha, after a good break which she deserves, I also hope Arantxa will consider returning. Has she discussed any possible plans post-retirement?

I just hope that if she does return, she doesn't snag Sveta back from Martina
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2003, 03:28 AM   #12

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
If she returns...maybe I could see the dubs team I've ALWAYS wanted Arantxa/Seles
Old Jan 4th, 2003, 04:10 PM   #13
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
Haven't Arantxa and Monica played together in the early 90's? I don't really remember but I have seen their name paired up before. lol! But yes Arantxa should play doubles again, she won a lot last year there's no question that she's still a terrific doubles player.
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by Julian
Haven't Arantxa and Monica played together in the early 90's? I don't really remember but I have seen their name paired up before. lol! But yes Arantxa should play doubles again, she won a lot last year there's no question that she's still a terrific doubles player.
Really? Can anyone confirm?
Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #15
marsha

Quote:
Originally posted by Zummi
Marsha, after a good break which she deserves, I also hope Arantxa will consider returning. Has she discussed any possible plans post-retirement? I just hope that if she does return, she doesn't snag Sveta back from Martina
I saw her at the exo in Ciney and she said that even she was surprised at how happy she was *not* to be playing and that she only picked up a racquet *twice* between her retirement and the exo -- and that she only played there cuz she had promised the organizers and didn't want to let them down (she did kinda try to get out of it, even so).

So I think Martina is "safe" -- sooooo great that she and Sveta won Gold coast! I'm looking forward to following them all year!!!

And as for Arantxa and Monica playing doubles together, I don't think they ever did. Monica only played dubs infrequently in the earlier part of her career -- Monica did play several tournies with MJF, though, and they were pretty good together -- maybe that's what Julian remembers. And even if I am wrong and they did play together earlier, I'd sure love to see them team now as "veterans" (or "beterans", as Arantxa says! *LOL*)

Last edited by marsha : Jan 13th, 2003 at 02:58 PM.