Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 5th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #106
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

I'll gladly work on Ginger! (In my dreams). It may take a day or so. I can get a bio of her that may say a bit more about her tennis.

I love the old Astaire and Rogers movies.

I am adding names with "A" from old Wimbledon draw and will slowly make my way forward. I hope you read the funny story about Mrs R Armstrong.

Keep the great pics coming Jimbo. Note that if the pic is watermarked I won't directly copy it, but I will post a link.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 5th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #107
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I'll gladly work on Ginger! (In my dreams). It may take a day or so. I can get a bio of her that may say a bit more about her tennis.

I love the old Astaire and Rogers movies.

I am adding names with "A" from old Wimbledon draw and will slowly make my way forward. I hope you read the funny story about Mrs R Armstrong.

Keep the great pics coming Jimbo. Note that if the pic is watermarked I won't directly copy it, but I will post a link.

Yes, I like the ROGERS and astaire movies too, lol. I watched them all when I was a kid. I've never seen any movies starring Jinx Falkenburg, have you ?

This story about Mrs. Armstrong is quite funny. If she can watch you from heaven, she may be mad that you uncovered her trick, Rollo, lol.
LKK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #108
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

Here is some additional info about Jeanne Arth:

Jeanne Arth participated for the 1st time in the US Championships in 1950. There was also some other Miss Arth, Shirley in the late 1940s-early 50s (probably her sister as they often played together in doubles). In 1958 Jeanne reached the SFs of the US Chmps (she lost to her doubles partner, Darlene Hard 7-5 6-2, but she had upset the 5th seeded Hopps and the 2nd seeded Head-Knode on her way). She toured Europe in 1959 (the French Championships, some English tournaments including Wimbledon). She probably came back to competitive tennis at least once in the 1960s, according to Ugarte's results she was a runner-up (in doubles, with Helen Perez) of the Western Indoors in 1965. After many years she returned to the Grand Slam level - in 1971 she was 36 when she lost in the first round of USO, defeated by BJ King; she also reached the QFs of mixed doubles playing with Hamilton Richardson, and according to the ITF played doubles with 48-year-old Gussie Moran – they lost in the 1st round, but they would be the oldest team participating that year... by the way - I'm not sure if it's really Gussie as you have Graciela Moran in the singles draw in the Blast !?! - the ITF has Gertrude "Gussie" in both draws).

Last edited by LKK : Mar 8th, 2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #109
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Found a club site with more info on Jeanne and Shirley-plus full details on Shirley's birth dates, death, marriage, etc.

I'll try and add Ginger soon. Will be starting a new job soon so I may be sporadic for a week or so.

I may just go ahead and see if I can roll out "B" without photos and frills and add in later.

Keep up the great work LKK!
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #110
country flag LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Found a club site with more info on Jeanne and Shirley-plus full details on Shirley's birth dates, death, marriage, etc.

I'll try and add Ginger soon. Will be starting a new job soon so I may be sporadic for a week or so.

I may just go ahead and see if I can roll out "B" without photos and frills and add in later.

Keep up the great work LKK!
Great, I wish you good luck in your new job Don't worry about not being a frequent visitor in the Blast forum these days, there are no rules how much time we have to spend here - everyone comes back with some info or trivia only when he can, me too.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #111
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks LKK. I'm on the warpath at the moment adding new bios.

Somwehow I can't edit the one I created on Bev Baker.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #112
country flag LKK

I added some new posts in the bios thread.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #113
country flag LKK

BEDGGOOD, GWEN
Australia

-mentioned in tennis dance at Kooyong in late 1928 with Vera de Bavay. Was she a player?

Yes, Rollo, she was !
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #114
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
BEDGGOOD, GWEN
Australia

-mentioned in tennis dance at Kooyong in late 1928 with Vera de Bavay. Was she a player?

Yes, Rollo, she was !
thanks LKK One thing I like about this project is it allows us to explore leads and possibilities. Some of them pan out-and some end up like Nelly Landry. All good mysteries though.
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #115
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Ok-I added in all my "B"'s today. We can and will add lots of photos and more details on bios-but perhaps first getting things up will give us an idea of how many names we have in this first batch.
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #116
country flag LKK

I added all the "B's", except for:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....&postcount=124
her entry looks too similar to Annie Kellett Baker's - Miss Baker who married some "Mr Ford"...

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....&postcount=297
I'm not sure about her last name, as it often seems to be "Brunnarius" in the FO draws.

There are also more details known about these players (their married names): Helen Bourne, C Borelli, you can add the missing info from the list. And I changed Broz's first name - it is Lisl.
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #117
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Harman, Josephine (United Kingdom) [3 October 1914- ] [Active late 1930s-1940s] [From England but lived in Ireland for several years]
-----
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #118
country flag LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
Harman, Josephine (United Kingdom) [3 October 1914- ] [Active late 1930s-1940s] [From England but lived in Ireland for several years]
-----
Thanks, Mark !
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #119
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

ARMSTRONG, Suzanne (United States) RU in Hot Springs Fall Tournament 1930

BENJAMIN, Camille (United States) (22 June 1966)

BLOUNT, Renee (United States) (12 May 1957)

Last edited by Jimbo109 : Mar 10th, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Jimbo109 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #120
country flag LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo109 View Post
ARMSTRONG, Suzanne (United States) RU in Hot Springs Fall Tournament 1930

BENJAMIN, Camille (United States) (22 June 1966)

BLOUNT, Renee (United States) (12 May 1957)

Thanks a lot ! I just added them.