Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 06:56 PM   #76
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

I checked Simone Amaury-Gorodnitchenko in Le Figaro, and she was already listed as Mme G in 1931, and still played in 1939, so I edited her bio.
LKK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #77
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

All the players in the section "A" linked. I left a comment for you Rollo:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....8&postcount=92
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:00 PM   #78
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks LKK. I will add a bio of Adamson/Landry and note the mystery about her husband.

Thanks for added Amaury info, (what a last name she had after that!)
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:12 PM   #79
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Note I ddin't add a photo of Peggy Ingram (Only Joan) as Peggy's photo has a watermark.

I added a bio of Adamson, but feel free to add about the marriage question LKK. I also want to welcome comments from others about it.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:35 PM   #80
country flag LKK

I just noticed a watermark.

Some time ago Jimbo found that Robbins's wife was probably some English player. Please check his post:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....4&postcount=86

And in Wikipedia:
On January 16, 1934, Adamson (not yet Landry) married American author and emigre Tod Robbins at the town hall in Villefranche on the French Riviera. Robbins was an expert amateur athlete. Together, he and Adamson became a formidable doubles team. Adamson was Robbins's fourth wife, and they remained married through World War II and Robbins's long imprisonment in a German concentration camp. After the war, Adamson stayed with Robbins until his death, remarrying afterward.[3] Nelly Adamson married Pierre Henri Landry and lastly Marcel Renault, both former French tennis players.

I marked some evident untruths repeated in all those internet biographies. Le Figaro writes about her marriage to Landry (a short article in the issue from 1937-02-15), so she couldn't have two husbands at the same time. She was probably confused with some unknown English tennis player.

Last edited by LKK : Mar 3rd, 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:51 PM   #81
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Some time ago Jimbo found that Robbins's wife was probably some English player. Please check his post:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....4&postcount=86
While I agree there is doubt, the marriage is still possible in my view.

1. There is a written source, though I confess I haven't read the article. I posted this source in her bio.

2. The confusion with her being English is possibly explained by her parentage-she was born in Tilbury, England (not Bruges) as one of her parents was English.

Could she have basically eloped, divorced (Robbins wed a lot apparently) and covered it up with marriage #2? That easily enough explains the white veil.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #82
country flag LKK

I'm not sure, Rollo, she was just 17 in January 1934. This source is from 2002, so we don't know how reliable it is after so many years that passed from the 30-ies. Maybe you can check his marriage from 16 Jan 1934 in NYT ?
---
I've just found an article about that famous marriage, but I cannot see its content.
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...8AD85F408385F9

And here is another website that mentiones his wife as Miss Anderson:
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/fea...sic-freaks.php

Last edited by LKK : Mar 4th, 2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #83
country flag LKK

Do you have an access to NYT, Rollo ? Could you check what they write about that Adamson who married Mr. Robbins (her age, nationality, tennis career etc.) ?

Here are 3 articles that would be interesting.

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...8AD85F408385F9
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...8FD85F408385F9
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...8ED85F4D8485F9

Maybe if we clarify this marriage, the history of tennis will have to be rewritten ? The headline of the last article mentions some widow "Mrs Adamson Robbins" in 1949 - as we know our Adamson couldn't be married to him till his last days. Another article says that his wife's first name was "Millie".

Last edited by LKK : Mar 4th, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #84
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks LKK. Using the path you set out I have proven that Nelly Adamson was NOT wed to Robbins. I have posting the details I can find so far on our Millie Adamson in the Biography section at:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....6&postcount=97

Good work!

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 4th, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #85
country flag LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Thanks LKK. Using the path you set out I have proven that Nelly Adamson was NOT wed to Robbins. I have posting the details I can find so far on our Millie Adamson in the Biography section at:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....6&postcount=97

Good work!
I'm glad this mystery is solved, cos it bothered me so long
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #86
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
I'm glad this mystery is solved, cos it bothered me so long
I have another mystery for you. Did you see my thread about the mysterious Mlle Sioda-a Polish player?
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #87
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
"A"
The French sisters Blanche and Suzanne Amblard, active in 1910s, early 1920s.

amblard blanche e suzanne.jpg

amblard blanche...jpg

amblard suzanne e blanche.jpg

amblard suzanne.jpg
Jimbo109 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #88
country flag LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I have another mystery for you. Did you see my thread about the mysterious Mlle Sioda-a Polish player?
Eee, this one is easy. Look for the answer in that thread, hehe.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #89
country flag LKK

I just added both Mlles Amblard to the Encyclopedia. Thanks for the info and pictures Jimbo

Last edited by LKK : Mar 4th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #90
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

Simone Amaury Gorodnitchenko, alone and with Maud Rosenbaum Levi on the right.

amaury simone.jpg amaury simone e maud rosenbaum levi.jpg
Jimbo109 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote