Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players - Page 54 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #796
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Good to hear from you Jimbo!

I have been away for what seems like ages.

I changed the entry back to Joan. Take another look and let me know what you think.

Do we know at all why Bentivolglio suddenly quit tennis? Very odd.

I was excited to find out the identity of Mrs William Endicott (1920s) the other day. Will post more today if time.

Sorry the victory by the Gremlin (my nickname for Bartoli-I have nicknames for all of them) upset you so. I was hoping for a victory by Sabine myself, and before her Radwanska. I would bet a lot on Aggie to win rather than choke as Sabine did in the final-but that's tennis. I credit Marion for breaking with daddy dearest-a lesson Caro Wozniacki has yet to learn.

Hope you recover.
I am happy to hear from you me too!

a) the entry for Joan Wilshere is now perfect!

b) Bentivoglio suddenly quit tennis owing to stress. Read this article (is in Italian)
http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubbl...zo-tennis.html

c) congratulations for Mrs William Endicott! In the past I have searched for long about Miss Ellis, but I found nothing.

d) I think that I will never recover from Bartoli's win at Wimbledon!! For me, she is one of the most unpleasant players. I have much antipathy for her, and I haven't even looked the final.
Jimbo109 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #797
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
a) the entry for Joan Wilshere is now perfect!
Thanks to you.

Quote:
b) Bentivoglio suddenly quit tennis owing to stress. Read this article (is in Italian)
http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubbl...zo-tennis.html
I may add some of this info to her bio.

Quote:
c) congratulations for Mrs William Endicott! In the past I have searched for long about Miss Ellis, but I found nothing.
She was named Ellice Mack and was an English tennis player (though perhaps minor-I'd never heard the name) and an actress. Endicott was with the Americna Red Cross in London.

Good work on Reese gentlemen. Also added info on Joan Reid-Thomas from a Suzanne Lenglen book.

Both can be found on page 107 in the bio section at:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...97314&page=107
Rollo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #798
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

Quote:

WILSHIRE, JULIE (Julie M Wilshere)
Sorry Rollo, I note only now that her surname have been written in 2 ways. It's Wilshere, not Wilshire.
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #799
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sorry Rollo, I note only now that her surname have been written in 2 ways. It's Wilshere, not Wilshire.
Thanks Jimbo.

Also found birth year and date o marriage (plus full name) for Jessie Greene-though our source lists her as Green (no e).

Saw the post by Nina Irwin's relative--glad they saw it and might add any information.

Last edited by Rollo : Jul 12th, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #800
country flag Jimbo109

General info to everybody:

if you directly paste a link from a post to other post, it doesn't work.
For this operation is need:
1) open the link
2) copy it
3) paste it into new post
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #801
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

TRUMBULL, MARY (Mary Pickard Winsor)
Born 6 August 1896 in Weston, Massachuesetts
Died ???? alive in 1966 (Brother’ Alexander’s obit in the NYT)
Married Walter “Wally” Henry Trumbull (1893- 13 December 1976) on 15 September 1919 in Weston, Massachusetts

Children Philip W (born 17 July 1920), Eleanor (circa 1922), Gertrude (29 May 1924) and Walter (ciirca 1925) and Hope (circa 1931)

Active in the early 1920s. Her family founded The Winsor School for girls and Middlesex School for boys. She played as late as 1926. Her husband was famous as a football player at Harvard.
Link to a page about her father and childhood home (includes a picture of her as a child)
http://www.wellesleywestonmagazine.c...turalplace.htm

Father’s page on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Winsor

---------------------

Can we find any more on her?
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #802
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Added Barbara Hallquist at:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=2494
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #803
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Added Inga Sperling:

SPERLING, INGA (nee Inga ????)
Denmark
Married Axel Sperling by 1933

Axel Sperling was the brother of tennis player Sven Sperling. In 1933 she won the Danish Indoor doubles with her sister-in-law Hilde Sperling.
Blast bio at: http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=2495
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #804
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Added Judy Devlin:

DEVLIN, JUDY
United States/United Kingdom
Born 22 October 22 October in Winnipeg, Manitoba
Married Dick Hasham 17 September 1960 at St Mary le-Strand in London
Height: 5’ 6”

Devlin began playing badminton with her Irish-born father Frank Devlin when she was seven in the Baltimore, Maryland region of the U.S.A. where her family had settled. Under her father's tutelage she developed a badminton game notable for its power, accuracy, and consistency. After dominating U.S. junior competition she won her first (adult) U.S. championship event, women's doubles, with her siste Suer in 1953. This marked the beginning of the run of success that saw her win the world badminton championships 10 times. She married Dick Hashman in 1960, living in England thereafter and eventually becoming a British citizen.

She was included in the Badminton Hall of Fame in 1997, together with her father. She was also included in the U. S. Badminton Hall of Fame and the International Women's Sports Hall of Fame.

Though her fame came in badminton, Judy was also a tennis player of lesser note.
Blast bio at: http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=2496
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:31 AM   #805
country flag Jimbo109

Quote:
Added Judy Devlin:

DEVLIN, JUDY
United States/United Kingdom
Born 22 October 22 October in Winnipeg, Manitoba
Married Dick Hasham 17 September 1960 at St Mary le-Strand in London
Height: 5’ 6”
Born 22 October 1935
Married Dick Hashman
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 12:25 PM   #806
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks Jimbo-corrected.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 11:24 PM   #807
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=570593

Check a new thread on "Miss Adams" whose bio is here.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....2&postcount=94

I hope someone is able to verify my theory
LKK is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 04:13 PM   #808
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Sounds workable to me LKK! An exciting discovery

The next time I get ahold of the London Times perhaps I can help you prove it.

Here's a bio I will add on Mrs William Endicott.

ENDICOTT, ELLICE (nee Ellice Mack)
United Kingdom/United States
Born 05 February 1892 in St Johns Ward, Hampstead, London, England
Died 25 April 1973 in Wenham, Massachuesetts.
Married William A Endicott (died 25 August 1941) on 27 March, 1919 in London.

Active 1920-1929

She was a somewhat shadowy figure in England-snippets refer to her as an actress or English beauty. As yet we have no evidence she was a player of note in England.

That changed when she met and wed William Endicott, a Harvard Graduate who was working for the US Red Cross in London. Endicott had children by his first marriage-this second union was childless. The newly married pair returned to the Boston area in 1919, and throughout the 1920s one finds Mrs William Endicott in draws up and down the east coast of the US.

The NYT calls her “a famous English girl and a baseline player of unusual ability” (NYT 19 March 1924). She often partnered Bety Corbiere in doubles-the pair won the US Women’s Indoors in 1925 and were active on the Riviera in early 1928. Both were members of the Longwood Country Club.

She was good enough to be ranked #10 in the US in 1916 and #11 in 1927.

After her tennis days were over Ellice was a painter and sculpter of some note.

Photo on page 87 of the 1930 Wright and Ditson annual.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #809
country flag Jimbo109

KATHERINE LEONG
Malaysia
Born circa 1931
Married Loh

RU Malaysian Championships 1957

leong katherine.jpg
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #810
country flag Jimbo109

GLADYS LOKE
Malaysia
Married Chua, before 1955

Winner: Malaysian Championships 1955
RU: Malaysian Championships 1950 '54, Ceylon Championships 1954

loke chua gladys.jpg

Last edited by Jimbo109 : Jul 26th, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Closed Thread