Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players - Page 30 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 03:34 PM   #436
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
Vera S. Dace
Born 1925 in Manchester, England
Died
Married Arthur H. Thomas, August 1947

From a newspaper report of 25 April 1947: "Miss Vera Dace, British tennis star and co-holder of the world table tennis title for women's doubles, is to marry Mr Arthur H. Thomas, a well-known Beckenham sportsman. Miss Dace, a south London [?] girl, learnt her tennis by back garden practice, and her table tennis by playing in local halls. She is a left-hander, at present competing in the Surrey Hard Court Championships.

"This tennis romance began six weeks ago when Miss Dace and Mr Thomas met at Bromley Hill Squash Club [in London]. They were introduced by Brian Phillips, one of the best squash racket players in the country."
-----
When one year ago I added Vera Dace to the Married Names thread I found that she born in 1921, but I don't remember my source.
Now I have found a newspaper of February 1939 where she is 16 (so born in 1922 or 1923)
http://newspapers.nl.sg/Digitised/Ar...13-1.2.44.aspx
and a roll of table tennis, where is written she played a World Champs. in 1938
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_stats/All_e...&s_Names=Dace&

Therefore she don't seem be born in 1925.
Jimbo109 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:02 PM   #437
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Will double check on Vera Dace Thomas.

I've seen her name in my Dunlops Annuals, so hopefully it will carry a DOB.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 08:05 PM   #438
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

I've resolved the Mrs Frank Godfrey mystery.

Mark is correct about her identity-- and we have a separate Anne Townsend!

I was able to find an exact date of marriage in the New York Times. Her middle name (Jerome) was given to their son.

I wonder if the two might be related.

Here is the current entry on Mrs Godfrey

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=2312

and for Anne B Townsend
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=2315

Thanks for finding her Mark, and keep up the questioning Jimbo!

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 22nd, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 08:31 PM   #439
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I've resolved the Mrs Frank Godfrey mystery.

Mark is correct about her identity-- and we have a separate Anne Townsend!

I was able to find an exact date of marriage in the New York Times. Her middle name (Jerome) was given to their son.

I wonder if the two might be related.

Here is the current entry on Mrs Godfrey

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=2312

Thanks for finding her Mark, and keep up the questioning Jimbo!
Good find Rollo!
But which proofs do we have that Anna and Anne were different women? Did you find Anne's DOB or DOD too?
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 09:40 PM   #440
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Good find Rollo!
But which proofs do we have that Anna and Anne were different women? Did you find Anne's DOB or DOD too?
Howdy Jimbo.

Anne Barton Townsend never married. I have a book article on her that gives exact dates of birth and death. These dates are backed up by census records.

The other Anna (later Mrs Godfrey) is also easily traced via census records. Her unique middle name (Jerome) was passed on to her son. While we lack her exact date of birth the 1900 census gives her DOB as June 1892. The other info is rock solid in my view. Mark's research on Anna was quite solid, and using the New York Times I was able to add an exact marriage date and her middle name.

It's easy to see why the two could get mixed up-it reminds me of our Naomi Trentham and Mrs Mie Trentham, or even worse the two Mrs Robinson's of Australia (nee Fay Muller and Lorraine Coghlan)!

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 22nd, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:22 PM   #441
country flag Jimbo109

Quote:
Howdy Jimbo.

Anne Barton Townsend never married. I have a book article on her that gives exact dates of birth and death. These dates are backed up by census records.

The other Anna (later Mrs Godfrey) is also easily traced via census records. Her unique middle name (Jerome) was passed on to her son. While we lack her exact date of birth the 1900 census gives her DOB as June 1892. The other info is rock solid in my view. Mark's research on Anna was quite solid, and using the New York Times I was able to add an exact marriage date and her middle name.

It's easy to see why the two could get mixed up-it reminds me of our Naomi Trentham and Mrs Mie Trentham, or even worse the two Mrs Robinson's of Australia (nee Fay Muller and Lorraine Coghlan)!
Great Rollo!
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #442
country flag Jimbo109

In the same years of Mrs Frank Godfrey there was a Mrs Fowler Godfrey too.
In our threads she appears only a time in 1923, in the mixed at Cannes Carlton
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....25&postcount=3
Maybe, when we read Mrs F. Godfrey, is it possible that she was Mrs Fowler Godfrey and not Mrs Frank Godfrey?
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:58 PM   #443
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Hi Jimbo-I'm sure the two Mrs Godfrey's differ-but now I can add the othger Mrs Godfrey!

Added info to Phyllis Satterwaite:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=1707

PLEASE read the description from Helen Jacobs about her match vs Phyllis-I laughed so hard I cried when reading about the ball that became stuck!
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 11:14 PM   #444
country flag Jimbo109

Quote:
Hi Jimbo-I'm sure the two Mrs Godfrey's differ-but now I can add the othger Mrs Godfrey!

Added info to Phyllis Satterwaite:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=1707

PLEASE read the description from Helen Jacobs about her match vs Phyllis-I laughed so hard I cried when reading about the ball that became stuck!
The Jacobs' tale is very funny
Please correct the surname in the biography's first line: it was Satterthwaite.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 12:33 PM   #445
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
The Jacobs' tale is very funny
Please correct the surname in the biography's first line: it was Satterthwaite.
Argghhhhh!!!!!!

I'll never get the spelling of her name straight-LOL.

Thanks Jimbo

Also found more of Vera Dace Thomas, including her middle name (Sybil) and date of birth (1921 according to ancestry.com).

Thank you Jimbo for fact checking as always and thanks to mark for the report on her wedding.

Here is her current entry
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....&postcount=502

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 23rd, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 08:20 PM   #446
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

"M" and "N" - updated.
LKK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #447
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
"M" and "N" - updated.
Looking good LKK!

I added a lot to Kathy Jordan's entry at:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=2301
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #448
country flag Jimbo109

MADELINE "Mandy" MANDEL
United States
Born circa 1941
Married Clifford J. Einstein, early 1962

Mandy and her husband

mandel einstein mandy.jpg
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #449
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

Quote:
Looking good LKK!

I added a lot to Kathy Jordan's entry at:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=2301
Kathy's bio looks very nice
LKK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #450
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Kathy's bio looks very nice
Thanks LKK

Added an entry for Edda Herdy at:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=2316

And Added an entry for Mandy Mandel at:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....postcount=2317

Thanks Jimbo!

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 25th, 2013 at 02:41 PM.