Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players - Page 20 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 29th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #286
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
I think Alan Little mentions a Suzanne des Landes de Danoet in his biography of Suzanne Lenglen...
-----
I hope one day someone finds (or confirms) her first name in some French newspaper from the 1920s...
LKK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 29th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #287
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
You have to be more patient, Jimbo, hehe. I'm still far from linking biographies of those players whose names start with "P" and "V", but I just added both women for you, so you can find them now
Oh... thanks LKK!
Excuse me, my words were not a criticism. I thought that if I didn't see some player it was a problem of mine.
I know how demanding is the Encyclopedia for you and Rollo!

(In Valerio's biography, her 1935 lost finals are written two times. And at the beginning there is a repetition: "Clerici called called")
Jimbo109 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #288
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo109 View Post
Oh... thanks LKK!
Excuse me, my words were not a criticism. I thought that if I didn't see some player it was a problem of mine.
I know how demanding is the Encyclopedia for you and Rollo!

(In Valerio's biography, her 1935 lost finals are written two times. And at the beginning there is a repetition: "Clerici called called")
Sometimes it's hard for me to find anything here, too, hehe. Just a few months and everything will be in its place
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #289
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sometimes it's hard for me to find anything here, too, hehe. Just a few months and everything will be in its place
You are doing a great job LKK. While I do want to follow Mark in editing and cleaning up years I think the task of finding every name in 1939 (for example) would be too much for me at this time.

Instead I will focus on going through the slams in year order and building up the Enclyclopedia in that way. True, we'll have more Brits, Americans, Aussies and French initially, but if I scan the slams first I think we'll have the basic skeleton in place.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #290
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401
I think Alan Little mentions a Suzanne des Landes de Danoet in his biography of Suzanne Lenglen..
Thanks Mark. I'll check all my sources tonight and see what comes up.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #291
country flag LKK

SMITH, Margaret
United States

A Californian player, active in the 1920s-30s; the California State doubles champion (with Frances Umphred) in 1936.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #292
country flag LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
You are doing a great job LKK. While I do want to follow Mark in editing and cleaning up years I think the task of finding every name in 1939 (for example) would be too much for me at this time.

Instead I will focus on going through the slams in year order and building up the Enclyclopedia in that way. True, we'll have more Brits, Americans, Aussies and French initially, but if I scan the slams first I think we'll have the basic skeleton in place.

Yes, you're right, a couple of days ago I opened the 1939 thread, and I hoped to help you in some way - but there were too many lines in that thread, so I just didn't know where to start, hehe. I think that sooner or later we will have every decent player in our Encyclopedia.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #293
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

a pic of 2 players already in list: Sheila G. Chuter and Gladys Thompson Lewis.
Pic taken in Bromley, England, 1935

L to R: Mrs W.A. Moorshead, Sheila G. Chuter, Gladys Thompson Lewis, Miss M. Steel

moorshead mrs w.a., sheila chuter, gladys thompson lewis, m. steel.jpg
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #294
country flag Jimbo109

Vivien Glasspool, already in list.

at right, with Molla Mallory at Chiswick 1926

bjurstedt e glasspool.jpg
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #295
country flag Jimbo109

MACQUAY, Margery and MACQUAY, Maud [Active 1920s.]
Italy
names and surname are not Italian, but they won the Doubles at Italian Closed Championships 1925, and they were in Italian rankings from 1922 to 1926.
They were members of the Circolo del Tennis Firenze. (Florence TC)
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campion...luti_di_tennis

Last edited by Jimbo109 : Mar 30th, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #296
country flag Jimbo109

LUZZATTI, Anna [Active 1920s-30s.]
Italy

Finalist- 1933- Firenze, Capri; 1934- Merano

-------------

MALENCHINI, Gabriella [Active 1920s-30s.]
Italy

-------------

STROZZI, Lucia [Active 1920s.]
Italy

Last edited by Jimbo109 : Mar 30th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 01:58 AM   #297
country flag LKK

Luzzatti, Malenchini and Strozzi added to the list, thanks Jimbo ! I'll wait with Misses Macquay, maybe someone will be able to confirm their nationality. I suppose they were British members of Italian tennis clubs, that's why they were allowed to compete in "Campionati nazionali assoluti d'Italia".
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 07:02 AM   #298
country flag Jimbo109

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Luzzatti, Malenchini and Strozzi added to the list, thanks Jimbo ! I'll wait with Misses Macquay, maybe someone will be able to confirm their nationality. I suppose they were British members of Italian tennis clubs, that's why they were allowed to compete in "Campionati nazionali assoluti d'Italia".
I have found the Maquay ! (written so, without "c")
Info coming soon......
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 10:12 AM   #299
country flag Jimbo109

Margery and Maud Maquay [Active 1910s-20s.] were very probably sisters. If not sisters, they were cousins. They won the Doubles at Italian Closed Championships 1925, were in Italian rankings from 1922 to 1926, in our yearly threads are present in 1911 and 1923, and they were both painters too.
I have found info on Margery only.

The Maquays was an Irish banking family, transferred through marriage to Florence in Italy in the early part of the nineteenth-century.
http://www.britishinstitute.it/en/ar...collection.asp

John Leland Maquay jr. married Elena Gigli (Margery's grandmother) of an old Tuscan family in 1828, and he lived in Florence for the following thirty years, before return to Ireland with his wife ten years before death.
In Florence he founded and ran the Pakenham and Maquay bank, and they had four sons: William was Margery's father.

Margery married Julian Edward Caccia (b 1867-d 1941).
The Caccia family originated in Tuscany - it is mentioned in Canto 29 of Dante's Purgatory - and settled in England in the early 19th century.
A nephew of Julian Caccia was Lord Harold Caccia, a British diplomat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_...,_Baron_Caccia

Probably Margery had foreign nationality until 1941. As foreigner, during WWII all her possessions were confiscated and returned in January 1941 when her husband recovered the Italian citizenship and Margery renounced the British citizenship.
I have found a document of Italy Kingdom 1941, where this fact is told. It writes "British citizenship" but the Maquays were Irish.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 11:24 AM   #300
country flag Jimbo109

BOLOGNA, Paola [Active 1920s-30s.]
Italy
Born 1889

-----------------------

ROSASPINA, Luciana [Active 1930s.]
Italy

rosaspina luciana.jpg