My interview with Mona Barthel - "Star in the making" - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #16
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My interview with Mona Barthel - "Star in the making"

Laurie, try this:
http://tennisnotebook.blogspot.com/2...a-barthel.html

or google : 'tennis notebook barthel' and the post should come up
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #17
country flag Mightymirza

Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute

Good read.. I like Mona but comparing her serve to Pete's is bit

Martina Hingis Ana Ivanovic Myskina Safarova

When I have my goals set, I always attain them- Justine
Mightymirza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #18
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. One thing that I don't see mentioned much about Barthel is that she has a well-rounded athleticism.

My rewording:
Quote:
your father, formerly a very good shot putter, is responsible for your strength training. How good are you in the shot put?

Barthel (laughs): I actually tried it once and didn't do it properly. Otherwise, however, I did many things, from table tennis to hockey through to athletics - but no more shot put!
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #19
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymirza View Post
I like Mona but comparing her serve to Pete's is bit
No one is comparing or equating the two players. It's just a case of stating the obvious that some players may remind one of others... which could even be because there is a deliberate connexion (the younger generation player may have very likely incorporated elements from the elder player - that's how tennis evolves: current players build on the foundation laid by past legends).
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #20
country flag Moo_21

Moo_21 is a name known to all Moo_21 is a name known to all Moo_21 is a name known to all Moo_21 is a name known to all Moo_21 is a name known to all Moo_21 is a name known to all Moo_21 is a name known to all Moo_21 is a name known to all Moo_21 is a name known to all Moo_21 is a name known to all Moo_21 is a name known to all

Nice interview

I think Barthel has all the ingredients to be a great player and she seems to have a really nice personality too. Definitely one of my favourite players right now!

http://mootennis.com
Moo_21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #21
country flag laurie

laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Laurie, try this:
http://tennisnotebook.blogspot.com/2...a-barthel.html

or google : 'tennis notebook barthel' and the post should come up
I have read it now thanks.

Very good spot by the way, you mentioned in August 2011 that Mona Barthel may well be a player who develops later in her career. If I think back to players like Patrick Rafter, Amelie Mauresmo among others, players who want to play an attacking game have developed and matured later than assured baseliners (Boris Becker being an exception). It usually takes longer to perfect this type of game and get really confident. The best is probably yet to come.

http://www.classictennismatches.net/
laurie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #22
country flag laurie

laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
No one is comparing or equating the two players. It's just a case of stating the obvious that some players may remind one of others... which could even be because there is a deliberate connexion (the younger generation player may have very likely incorporated elements from the elder player - that's how tennis evolves: current players build on the foundation laid by past legends).
I don't know if you saw the match against Kerber this evening? Barthel was serving for the match and found herself love 40 down after Angelique got hold of a couple of 2nd serves. Then Barthel still serves out the match winning 6 points in a row with strong serves and winners down the line, finishing the match with a slice serve ace down the T on matchpoint.

Who does that sort of play remind me of? Pete Sampras. Like you said, doesn't mean they play exactly like them but some players remind you of others.

Old Feb 12th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #23
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

^ true

And yes I did see the match.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #24
country flag BillFromRichmond

BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of

This is a big match win for her. A thoroughly dominating performance.
BillFromRichmond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #25
country flag Vespertine69

Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice interview and article, Laurie, thank you for sharing it. She comes across as a lovely, down to earth girl. I agree with the potential of Barthel, but obviously there is a long way to go for any emerging player if they are to reach their potential.

Not sure if it helps (if it seems unhelpful or you do not care then just ignore me and my interfering!) but I think you would benefit from tightening the writing up just a little. By this I mean avoiding some of the more complex sentences and making your words just a tiny bit more concise. It never hurts to write a great thing and then go back over it and try to rephrase yourself in fewer words. I think this is especially important with sports writing in terms of connecting with the audience and making for compelling reading. Also, you have a few instances (paragraph 8 I think) of having used "been" instead of "being".

Again, please ignore me if it's not helpful! I really enjoyed the article and I only say the above because I mentally edit anything I read, and figured it might be helpful to think about. Your passion, interest and knowledge certainly do come through, and really that is a lot more important than anything I've said about style/wording/etc. For instance, I read pretty much anything by Matt Cronin because he has interesting views and good access to players and what's going on... but his writing is not so great from a technical perspective and often full of typos. And he's a successful journalist, so I've probably just invalidated my entire point But I did enjoy your article, bottom line!
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #26
country flag BillFromRichmond

BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertine69 View Post
Nice interview and article, Laurie, thank you for sharing it. She comes across as a lovely, down to earth girl. I agree with the potential of Barthel, but obviously there is a long way to go for any emerging player if they are to reach their potential.

Not sure if it helps (if it seems unhelpful or you do not care then just ignore me and my interfering!) but I think you would benefit from tightening the writing up just a little. By this I mean avoiding some of the more complex sentences and making your words just a tiny bit more concise. It never hurts to write a great thing and then go back over it and try to rephrase yourself in fewer words. I think this is especially important with sports writing in terms of connecting with the audience and making for compelling reading. Also, you have a few instances (paragraph 8 I think) of having used "been" instead of "being".

Again, please ignore me if it's not helpful! I really enjoyed the article and I only say the above because I mentally edit anything I read, and figured it might be helpful to think about. Your passion, interest and knowledge certainly do come through, and really that is a lot more important than anything I've said about style/wording/etc. For instance, I read pretty much anything by Matt Cronin because he has interesting views and good access to players and what's going on... but his writing is not so great from a technical perspective and often full of typos. And he's a successful journalist, so I've probably just invalidated my entire point But I did enjoy your article, bottom line!
I would argue that these suggestions are not necessarily a good thing. Writing and journalism has been dumbed down substantially in the last 20 years, which in the US I thinks speaks to the dumbing down of our entire society and education system. We're all in a race to the bottom and personally I think it sucks.
BillFromRichmond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #27
country flag laurie

Vespertine69

I have published just over 30 articles in a 18 months myself and to be honest I am quite satisfied with what I’ve done so far. Self editing is a rigorous process, no one will write something up and publish without checking. You will read books with typos or errors, you will see errors in magazines, newspapers, internet; that’s after the editing process and its quite normal. It is sometimes tricky for me when to write “being” or “been” which I will double check later - but in the context of everything I have written I am happy with my self editing process.

Of course when I submit an article to an editor to be published in a publication, they are free to change it and edit as they see fit, which is why they get paid the bigger bucks.

But more importantly, the intention of this blog is to approach tennis from a slightly different angle; I am interested in technical stuff, tactics and the direction the game is going. I try to get the balance between explaining technical or tactical stuff but in a manner people comprehend so it doesn’t become a ramble (it is quite easy to descend into ramble). A lot of mainstream journalists go into clichés and look at a player from a populist perspective, which is something I don’t like and I hope my blog reflects that, I want to look at a players’ game in more detail and not just superficially, there is enough of that going on already.

Old Feb 13th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #28
country flag rnwerner

rnwerner has a brilliant future rnwerner has a brilliant future rnwerner has a brilliant future rnwerner has a brilliant future rnwerner has a brilliant future rnwerner has a brilliant future rnwerner has a brilliant future rnwerner has a brilliant future rnwerner has a brilliant future rnwerner has a brilliant future rnwerner has a brilliant future

Gamewise she is the probably one of the best players under 24.

She plays effortless, sensational attacking tennis.

But she shows us several problems as well:
Defense, mentality, training situation.

All in all, she will have huge success but bitter losses from time to time.

Gamewise she can beat anybody (except Serena).
[FITD]: Budapest 2013
[FITD Doubles]: Madrid 2013 und Dubai 2014 [Q-Ball]: Brisbane 2013 und Madrid 2014
rnwerner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #29
country flag Vespertine69

Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify as I feel a touch misinterpreted above: I wasn't suggesting lowering the intellectual complexity of the article, or reducing its observational and technical scope, and definitely not "dumbing" it down in any way. Like I said, it was just supposed to be helpful advice - if none is wanted then feel free to ignore. I'm not just posting because I randomly have a view and want to inflict it on people; I posted because I have done quite a lot of editing and proofing, alongside some publishing of my own work, and I genuinely felt I could offer a helpful set of eyes. I liked the article and could see the amount of work that has gone in to it. I know when I write something and put my time and dedication in, I definitely miss things, and I am very happy to hear from anyone who spots a mistake or potential improvement. Everything that an editor DOESN'T have to fix for you will make your work more desirable and valued in the future because they are very busy and they miss things too!
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #30
country flag laurie

I think we are starting to get carried away a bit here. When I said submitting an article to an editor and he sees fit to edit how he wants, clearly I meant the content not spelling mistakes or grammatical errors; no one will send an article to an editor full of mistakes....

For instance, last year Eurosport published one of my articles, I wrote it in a certain way, and the editor moved my text around for impact, statements I made in certain parts of the article, he moved closer to the top, that's the editor's prerogative. And that is what I was referring to.

But I think it is time to drop this now and just focus on the message of my article, which is a positive one I feel.