My interview with Mona Barthel - "Star in the making" - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #1
country flag laurie

laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute
My interview with Mona Barthel - "Star in the making"

Well hopefully. After her win last week in Paris, I got an interview with Mona and put an article together. As always hope you guys enjoy, she's a nice young lady and very talented.

Read on...

Last week I had the opportunity to witness a player who could be a new star in the making.

http://burnstennis.blogspot.co.uk/20...l-star-in.html

http://www.classictennismatches.net/
laurie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My interview with Mona Barthel - "Star in the making"

Great article. Thanks. Mona still has a long way to go.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Halep Pavlyuchenkova Shvedova Bencic Lottner
Setsuna. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #3
country flag BillFromRichmond

BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of

Mona does have potential, but that can be said for others too, like several young players who did well in Australia, one of which also has a "big serve" and aggressive game. I thought the article was slanted and missing in research like the fact that she started out very well last year also and then faded. Nine first round losses, five in a row through Wimbledon, and not getting past round one in a Slam says she still has to prove that "potential".
BillFromRichmond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #4
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the article!

Mona calling herself "Steffi" at age 5

Wonder if she'll start her own line of athletic wear like Venus?
PUTINTSEVA #1 PLAYER

MakarovaPavlyuchenkovaBarthelLisickiBeck DoloncTwinPliskovasPutintsevaPuchkovaSirotkinaPfizenmaier GavrilovaMituScholl
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #5
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

Nice read..thanks! Congrats on the interview as well!
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #6
country flag Bronx19

Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of

I thought she was all that last year?

Just another hot and cold basher, no big titles in her future.
Bronx19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #7
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Nice article. I like that Mona is trying to have a good work-life balance and uses the opportunities that this career offers to her. One of the things that makes tennis career so glamorous in my opinion is the possibility to travel around the world and see so many different places.

I am now excited about what will Mona show this year. I wrote about her,too some time ago when she still was an unknown player:

http://tennisnotebook.blogspot.com/2...a-barthel.html
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #8
country flag laurie

laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFromRichmond View Post
Mona does have potential, but that can be said for others too, like several young players who did well in Australia, one of which also has a "big serve" and aggressive game. I thought the article was slanted and missing in research like the fact that she started out very well last year also and then faded. Nine first round losses, five in a row through Wimbledon, and not getting past round one in a Slam says she still has to prove that "potential".
Hi Bill

Of course I take your point, it is potential and it is human beings playing not robots so many factors come in to play and it is up to her which I think I tried to convey.

On your other point, I have watched the game for while and have seen talented players struggle initially then come really good so I tried to convey that as well.

I know forums can be a bit over the top but if she lost early in Doha people should see that it is potential we are talking about (word for today) :beer:

Sent from my GT-S5360 using VerticalSports.Com App

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #9
country flag Letigre

Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute

After this interview I like her even more. She sounds to me level headed and intelligent, quite the opposite to the interviews of diva in the making Sloane. I hope that this year will be her real breakthrough into the top 10-top 15. She´s got the game for it, sure, but as another poster has already pointed out, last year she was also playing extremely well, and then after Stuttgart she slumped horribly for almost the rest of the year. In Paris I've seen her for the first time expressing emotions on court, even frustation at her mistakes. For me that is a good sign of a new commitment and determination replacing the pasiveness of former times. WTA needs, urgently, real talented players in the Top 10. She should be one of them. I hope to see her there pretty soon.
Letigre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #10
country flag Jeff

Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute

Always great to read interviews from members of this board. Well done

The part about her insisting to be Steffi when she was a child was funny

Jeff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #11
country flag supermod

supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of

Good interview!

But yeah, I would really like to ask her what happened in 2012 after the good start at the beginning of the year.
supermod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #12
country flag BillFromRichmond

BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie View Post
Hi Bill

Of course I take your point, it is potential and it is human beings playing not robots so many factors come in to play and it is up to her which I think I tried to convey.

On your other point, I have watched the game for while and have seen talented players struggle initially then come really good so I tried to convey that as well.

I know forums can be a bit over the top but if she lost early in Doha people should see that it is potential we are talking about (word for today) :beer:

Sent from my GT-S5360 using VerticalSports.Com App
Thanks for the response. I am a fan of hers. First noticed her when she came on the radar screen with that run from the qualies to the Hobart title last year. Lets see how it pans out.
BillFromRichmond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #13
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
After this interview I like her even more. She sounds to me level headed and intelligent, quite the opposite to the interviews of diva in the making Sloane. I hope that this year will be her real breakthrough into the top 10-top 15. She´s got the game for it, sure, but as another poster has already pointed out, last year she was also playing extremely well, and then after Stuttgart she slumped horribly for almost the rest of the year. In Paris I've seen her for the first time expressing emotions on court, even frustation at her mistakes. For me that is a good sign of a new commitment and determination replacing the pasiveness of former times. WTA needs, urgently, real talented players in the Top 10. She should be one of them. I hope to see her there pretty soon.
THIS!!!! I noticed since last year that she's got game & is very humble even when she notches a big win ...great attitude for a youngster, esp not being carried away by hype
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #14
country flag laurie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Nice article. I like that Mona is trying to have a good work-life balance and uses the opportunities that this career offers to her. One of the things that makes tennis career so glamorous in my opinion is the possibility to travel around the world and see so many different places.

I am now excited about what will Mona show this year. I wrote about her,too some time ago when she still was an unknown player:

http://tennisnotebook.blogspot.com/2...a-barthel.html
Thanks for everyone's positive replies so far, she does come across as very level headed which is great to see.

Marineblue, I am having trouble picking up your article on my smart phone and on the desktop so haven't been able to read it yet, will try again later or maybe you can post another link?

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #15
country flag laurie

In fact, both her and Angelique Kerber come across very well, the Germans are doing a great job with the players coming through.